Log In Sign Up

Anti-Vax Parents Now Facing Their Kids' Removal From School


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #21  
September 23rd, 2011, 08:41 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu Bacon View Post
But vaccines do significantly reduce carriage and transmission in vaccinees, some more effectively than others. Vaccines are not 100% effective, but the fact is those who are immune (ie. less susceptible) are much less likely to transmit VPDs than those who are not (ie. more susceptible).


Parents are not being stripped of choices; they are being held accountable to abide by the public health laws when they are putting their children in public school: vaccinate or submit your exemption. Period.
Yes they do decrease the reduce of transmission, but it doesn't mean that they still don't transmit things. It's not just the non-vaxers and with articles and comments like these it gets thrown out there like only non-vaxed are the ones doing it. People act like non-vaxed kids and adults walk around diseased ridden. There is such a huge distaste for those who do not vaccinate their kids, and it's insane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmom View Post
I wonder how the parents of the 11 infants who died of whooping cough in California last year would feel about hearing that it hasn't happened yet?



Really? You've been getting yearly whooping cough since age 12? Is this actually proven by culture and PCR?
I'm talking about in the SCHOOL where this paticular debate is about. Not about something that happened last year. These kids were pulled out of their classes and had to sit in a gym because parents made a legal choice not to vaccinate their kids. Form or no form, that is just stupid to pull kids out of class. If there was an outbreak, completely different, but this is about a parent not signing a form. Whoopty do. You already know which kids do not have their vaccines. And how do you know that those 11 babies that died (horrible and tragic and I'm very sad to hear about it) where from unvaccinated kids?

Yes, really, I've been getting whooping cough on an almost yearly basis since 12. Yes, it has been confirmed. I go to the Doctor every time I get it. My DH just got over whooping cough, and was unable to work during that time (they don't let Pilots fly when you're sick). His was also confirmed by the Doctor and he has had the vaccine for it. And had to get a booster when he started his new job awhile ago.
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #22  
September 23rd, 2011, 08:52 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
I'm talking about in the SCHOOL where this paticular debate is about. Not about something that happened last year. These kids were pulled out of their classes and had to sit in a gym because parents made a legal choice not to vaccinate their kids. Form or no form, that is just stupid to pull kids out of class. If there was an outbreak, completely different, but this is about a parent not signing a form. Whoopty do. You already know which kids do not have their vaccines. And how do you know that those 11 babies that died (horrible and tragic and I'm very sad to hear about it) where from unvaccinated kids?
Yes, I do agree that it seems silly to have pulled the kids out of class but it was an inconenience at the most and not really a big deal. It seems that they had all summer to fill the paperwork out and 30 days grace after school started. If its about if parents should or should not have to fill out the proper forms, then they need to take the argument to their elected officials.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #23  
September 23rd, 2011, 08:59 AM
Tofu Bacon's Avatar Enigma... or oxymoron?
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
These kids were pulled out of their classes and had to sit in a gym because parents made a legal choice not to vaccinate their kids.
No. The kids were pulled from class because the parents did not adhere to public health laws. They most certainly do have the legal right not to vaccinate their children, but the children cannot legally attend school without either the vax or the exemption.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
September 23rd, 2011, 09:01 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
Yes, I do agree that it seems silly to have pulled the kids out of class but it was an inconenience at the most and not really a big deal. It seems that they had all summer to fill the paperwork out and 30 days grace after school started. If its about if parents should or should not have to fill out the proper forms, then they need to take the argument to their elected officials.
Well in one article some of the kids said they were embarrassed, etc. That is more than a big deal. And what if now these kids are made fun of from their classmates? What if they start being bullied because these kids hear other parents saying bad things about non-vaxed kids? Bullying is a big deal, being embarrassed is a big deal (to some). What if parents just don't feel like they should have to fill out paperwork, especially since they clearly know which kids aren't vaccinated? And why is this paperwork such a big deal? If you know what kid isn't vaccinated then why is there a need for paperwork? Public or not, parents shouldn't have to get an excemption. Why is it the non-vaxers who have to do this? Because vaccines are considered the norm? They may be the norm but not the best for everyone in all cases. This is just dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu Bacon View Post
No. The kids were pulled from class because the parents did not adhere to public health laws. They most certainly do have the legal right not to vaccinate their children, but the children cannot legally attend school without either the vax or the exemption.
Which is completely stupid, IMHO. Not everyone can afford private school, not everyone is equipped to homeschool, so public school is the only choice for many parents. It should not be illegal to send a unvaccinated child to a public school. The school already knew what kids weren't vaccianted, so why the need for an exemption?
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #25  
September 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
I'm talking about in the SCHOOL where this paticular debate is about. Not about something that happened last year. These kids were pulled out of their classes and had to sit in a gym because parents made a legal choice not to vaccinate their kids. Form or no form, that is just stupid to pull kids out of class. If there was an outbreak, completely different, but this is about a parent not signing a form. Whoopty do. You already know which kids do not have their vaccines. And how do you know that those 11 babies that died (horrible and tragic and I'm very sad to hear about it) where from unvaccinated kids?
Ok, so in this particular SCHOOL, there is no outbreak. But in the STATE where this particular SCHOOL is located, there is an epidemic and a state law mandating vaccination or exemption. I understand your point that by not sending in any info, that the school officials will have a good idea of who is vaxed and who is not. But they are required by law to have that information in the form of an exemption or immunization records. Part of the point of the law is to encourage (not force) parents to make and informed decision about vaccinating and not just be lazy and do nothing at all.



Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post


Yes, really, I've been getting whooping cough on an almost yearly basis since 12. Yes, it has been confirmed. I go to the Doctor every time I get it. My DH just got over whooping cough, and was unable to work during that time (they don't let Pilots fly when you're sick). His was also confirmed by the Doctor and he has had the vaccine for it. And had to get a booster when he started his new job awhile ago.
I'll ask again. Have you had lab proven (nasal swab culture and PCR) whooping cough almost every year since you were 12? Because if you have, your doctor should write that up as a case review for the New England Journal of Medicine, because that just doesn't happen. There are multiple conditions that will cause similar complaints. Here is a quick run down:

Quote:
DIFFERENTIAL DIAGNOSIS

Viral infections Adenovirus, Parainfluenza virus, Influenza A and B, Respiratory syncytial virus, Coronavirus, Rhinovirus
Bacterial infections Bordetella parapertussis, Bordetella bronchiseptica, Chlamydophila (formerly Chlamydia) pneumoniae, Mycoplasma pneumoniae, tuberculosis, acute exacerbations of chronic bronchitis
Noninfectious causes Asthma, foreign body, postnasal drip, gastrointestinal reflux, and malignancy
__________________
Im Sarah (39), wife to Chris (40), mom to three boys (age 0, 3 and 5)
Reply With Quote
  #26  
September 23rd, 2011, 09:13 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
Well in one article some of the kids said they were embarrassed, etc. That is more than a big deal. And what if now these kids are made fun of from their classmates? What if they start being bullied because these kids hear other parents saying bad things about non-vaxed kids? Bullying is a big deal, being embarrassed is a big deal (to some). What if parents just don't feel like they should have to fill out paperwork, especially since they clearly know which kids aren't vaccinated? And why is this paperwork such a big deal? If you know what kid isn't vaccinated then why is there a need for paperwork? Public or not, parents shouldn't have to get an excemption. Why is it the non-vaxers who have to do this? Because vaccines are considered the norm? They may be the norm but not the best for everyone in all cases. This is just dumb.



Which is completely stupid, IMHO. Not everyone can afford private school, not everyone is equipped to homeschool, so public school is the only choice for many parents. It should not be illegal to send a unvaccinated child to a public school. The school already knew what kids weren't vaccianted, so why the need for an exemption?
To the bolded, then it needs to be taken up with the states elected representatives. Not the school.

As far as the first paragraph. They were escorted to the gym and got out of class. Most kids would be loving that so the bullying part is reaching imo.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #27  
September 23rd, 2011, 09:21 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmom View Post
Ok, so in this particular SCHOOL, there is no outbreak. But in the STATE where this particular SCHOOL is located, there is an epidemic and a state law mandating vaccination or exemption. I understand your point that by not sending in any info, that the school officials will have a good idea of who is vaxed and who is not. But they are required by law to have that information in the form of an exemption or immunization records. Part of the point of the law is to encourage (not force) parents to make and informed decision about vaccinating and not just be lazy and do nothing at all.





I'll ask again. Have you had lab proven (nasal swab culture and PCR) whooping cough almost every year since you were 12? Because if you have, your doctor should write that up as a case review for the New England Journal of Medicine, because that just doesn't happen. There are multiple conditions that will cause similar complaints. Here is a quick run down:
See now you're assuming that those who don't vaccinate their kids are not informed and those who do not send in an exemption are lazy parents. That is WHY I have a problem with this, because of assumptions like this. Trust me, as a parent who does not vaccinate her kids for real legit reasons, I feel this distaste for those who don't vacciante all the time. Both online and in real life. We're treated as if we're stupid or lazy.

YES, for the second time, I go to the Doctor every time I get it and YES I have it. NOT yearly, but close to yearly. I am not the only one in my family that this has happened to. I also have asthma, if that makes a difference. I know there are tons of different illnesses that can resemble other illnesses. As for my Doctor, I don't have a regular Doctor who I see each time I go to one. I see whoever is available and not always at the same clinic. I also see Now Care instead of a normal clinic if it's on a weekend. I really don't think this is that unusual because I've heard about it before with other people getting whooping cough all the time. I also have a family member who is a Doctor and has seen people who get it close to yearly as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
To the bolded, then it needs to be taken up with the states elected representatives. Not the school.

As far as the first paragraph. They were escorted to the gym and got out of class. Most kids would be loving that so the bullying part is reaching imo.
I agree
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella

Last edited by HappyHippy; September 23rd, 2011 at 09:23 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
September 23rd, 2011, 09:44 AM
Tofu Bacon's Avatar Enigma... or oxymoron?
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
Which is completely stupid, IMHO. Not everyone can afford private school, not everyone is equipped to homeschool, so public school is the only choice for many parents.
And? Sometimes life isn't fair, and our choices come with responsibilities. In a case like this, that responsibility comes in the form a simple piece of paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
It should not be illegal to send a unvaccinated child to a public school. The school already knew what kids weren't vaccianted, so why the need for an exemption?
Its not illegal to send the unvaccinated to public school They have to submit the same health form as every other student, just with the exemption portion signed, in lieu of the vax record. Yes, they do know which kids were not vaccinated, but the school must answer to the health department which students are unvaccinated by choice, or those who are unvaccinated due to lack of access to health care or neglect... and those who are vaccinated but haven't submitted proof of vaccination.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
September 23rd, 2011, 09:47 AM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
See now you're assuming that those who don't vaccinate their kids are not informed and those who do not send in an exemption are lazy parents. That is WHY I have a problem with this, because of assumptions like this. Trust me, as a parent who does not vaccinate her kids for real legit reasons, I feel this distaste for those who don't vacciante all the time. Both online and in real life. We're treated as if we're stupid or lazy.
If you can't take the time to just sign your name to a pre-written statement on the school immunization form, then yes, I would call that lazy. It has nothing to do with your decision to vax or not, or your reasons behind that decision.


Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
YES, for the second time, I go to the Doctor every time I get it and YES I have it. NOT yearly, but close to yearly. I am not the only one in my family that this has happened to. I also have asthma, if that makes a difference. I know there are tons of different illnesses that can resemble other illnesses. As for my Doctor, I don't have a regular Doctor who I see each time I go to one. I see whoever is available and not always at the same clinic. I also see Now Care instead of a normal clinic if it's on a weekend. I really don't think this is that unusual because I've heard about it before with other people getting whooping cough all the time. I also have a family member who is a Doctor and has seen people who get it close to yearly as well.
Please read what l am asking. I am not asking if you go to the doctor . I am asking if you have lab proven pertussis as confirmed by nasal swab culture and/or PCR. If not, and your doctor thinks that you are having yearly pertussis, then they need to do so because yearly pertussis is not something that is reported. Pertussis is a disease that is reportable to the CDC. Is your doctor doing this?
__________________
Im Sarah (39), wife to Chris (40), mom to three boys (age 0, 3 and 5)
Reply With Quote
  #30  
September 23rd, 2011, 09:48 AM
Tofu Bacon's Avatar Enigma... or oxymoron?
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
and those who do not send in an exemption are lazy parents.
So, what would you call it if a parent has been given ample notification and a grace period, yet still doesn't submit an exemption?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
September 23rd, 2011, 10:00 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu Bacon View Post
And? Sometimes life isn't fair, and our choices come with responsibilities. In a case like this, that responsibility comes in the form a simple piece of paper.


Its not illegal to send the unvaccinated to public school They have to submit the same health form as every other student, just with the exemption portion signed, in lieu of the vax record. Yes, they do know which kids were not vaccinated, but the school must answer to the health department which students are unvaccinated by choice, or those who are unvaccinated due to lack of access to health care or neglect... and those who are vaccinated but haven't submitted proof of vaccination.
I don't know how it is in Cali, but where I live it's not just a simple piece of paper. In a medical exemption the parent has to get the Doctor to sign saying the child has a medical reason not to get the vaccination. In a religious exemption the parent has to get a religious official to sign the form saying that for religious reasons they do not vaccinate. Not every parent doesn't vaccinate because of those two reasons, and not everyone can get someone to sign the exemption. It's not that easy peasy. With ds1 I could do a medical exemption, but with ds2? I haven't vaccinated him at all because of what happened with ds1 so I can't claim medical reasons for ds2. We also do not attend church so no one would sign a religious exemption. But we homeschool, so we don't have to deal with that anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmom View Post
If you can't take the time to just sign your name to a pre-written statement on the school immunization form, then yes, I would call that lazy. It has nothing to do with your decision to vax or not, or your reasons behind that decision.




Please read what l am asking. I am not asking if you go to the doctor . I am asking if you have lab proven pertussis as confirmed by nasal swab culture and/or PCR. If not, and your doctor thinks that you are having yearly pertussis, then they need to do so because yearly pertussis is not something that is reported. Pertussis is a disease that is reportable to the CDC. Is your doctor doing this?
Or maybe it's not that simple? Maybe they had to get someone else sign it like I said above on how it works here. But I don't know how it works there so I cannot say if it's that easy or not. Maybe they felt like they didn't need to sign a form since they already know if they are vaccinated or not. Maybe they had other philisophical reasons. Doesn't mean they were lazy. Assumptions get a person no where.

Yes, my goodness, I've stated 3 times now that I go to the Doctor which means they do a test to see if I have it or not. Why else would I go to a Doctor? They don't just listen to my breathing and coughing and say "yup you got whooping cough". They do a swab everytime I suspect I have it due to the horrible coughing that makes me barf, or cough for hours on end before it stops for awhile. I don't go to the same Doctor every single time, in fact, I rarely see the same Doctor twice. Please read what I've already said. I have no idea if the Doctor does it or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu Bacon View Post
So, what would you call it if a parent has been given ample notification and a grace period, yet still doesn't submit an exemption?
Well a parent could feel like they don't need to since they would know if the child was vaccinated or not. They maybe couldn't get a Doctor or religious person sign it if they needed that (don't know if they do or not). Maybe they have other reasons that we don't know about. I don't know, I could think of reasons why I wouldn't do it and none of them would be because I'm lazy.

ETA: I'm leaving now and won't be back until Sunday or Monday. I just wanted to let you know so that if I don't respond it's not because I'm ignoring the debate. I'm just not going to be here.
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #32  
September 23rd, 2011, 10:04 AM
Tofu Bacon's Avatar Enigma... or oxymoron?
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
YES, for the second time, I go to the Doctor every time I get it and YES I have it. NOT yearly, but close to yearly. I am not the only one in my family that this has happened to. I also have asthma, if that makes a difference. I know there are tons of different illnesses that can resemble other illnesses. As for my Doctor, I don't have a regular Doctor who I see each time I go to one. I see whoever is available and not always at the same clinic. I also see Now Care instead of a normal clinic if it's on a weekend. I really don't think this is that unusual because I've heard about it before with other people getting whooping cough all the time. I also have a family member who is a Doctor and has seen people who get it close to yearly as well.
Considering immunity to pertussis after natural infection lasts from 7-20 years, it is quite unusual for one to be getting it so frequently, particularly when repeat infections generally don't resemble a clinical case of pertussis. Has your doctor suggested seeing an immunologist to figure out why your antibodies are waning so quickly?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
September 23rd, 2011, 10:17 AM
Tofu Bacon's Avatar Enigma... or oxymoron?
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
I don't know how it is in Cali, but where I live it's not just a simple piece of paper. In a medical exemption the parent has to get the Doctor to sign saying the child has a medical reason not to get the vaccination. In a religious exemption the parent has to get a religious official to sign the form saying that for religious reasons they do not vaccinate. Not every parent doesn't vaccinate because of those two reasons, and not everyone can get someone to sign the exemption. It's not that easy peasy. With ds1 I could do a medical exemption, but with ds2? I haven't vaccinated him at all because of what happened with ds1 so I can't claim medical reasons for ds2. We also do not attend church so no one would sign a religious exemption. But we homeschool, so we don't have to deal with that anyways.
Not to brag, but I'm actually quite knowledgeable with exemptions. Yes, it is literally that simple in California; its one of the easiest states in which to claim an exemption. Even in more stringent states, its not all that difficult. Religious exemptions do not hinge on church attendance or religious affiliation at all. Medical exemptions are harder to grant in most states, but some allow more autonomy on the part of the doctor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
Well a parent could feel like they don't need to since they would know if the child was vaccinated or not. They maybe couldn't get a Doctor or religious person sign it if they needed that (don't know if they do or not). Maybe they have other reasons that we don't know about. I don't know, I could think of reasons why I wouldn't do it and none of them would be because I'm lazy.
Suppose my driver's license is expired and, for whatever reason, I haven't gotten around to renewing it. The form has been sitting on my kitchen counter, and so has the 2nd notice. Should I be allowed to continue driving without a valid license? After all, *I* know I can drive, and the State of NY knows I can drive, since they already issued me a license before. If I get caught, should the officer waive the ticket, since obviously I can drive?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
September 23rd, 2011, 10:26 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
Anyone can be a carrier of an illness or a disease. Just because a person is vaccinated doesn't mean they won't carry the illness/disease and pass it on to a baby, elderly or non-vaxed person. I think the attitude toward those who don't vaccinate is shocking. I see it all the time online and even in real life now, where people automatically act like the only person who can carry and pass along something is someone who isn't vaccinated. Therefor everytime a non-vaxed person (becasuse they are too young, or old, or compromised) dies or gets ill from something they always point fingers at the non-vaxers. I see that happening in this case where they are blaming non-vaxers for things that haven't even happened yet (at may not at all). I feel as if parents are not allowed to parent anymore. We are being told what to do. Just a little form? Sure, but parents shouldn't have to fill it out in the first place. We should reserve the right to make medical choices for our own children, especially if it could mean a severe reaction or worse. If people who vaccinate are so scared of getting the illness/disease they vaccinate against then maybe they should homeschool (I'm being sarcastic with that one, since I always hear that non-vaxers should have to homeshool).

I get whooping cough almost yearly, and have been getting it since I was around 12 years old. I'm vaccinated against it and have had a booster, yet I still get it.
I didn't snip because your entire post screams mountain out of molehill to me. Most that I know have no issues filling out the forms for exemptions and are pretty darn glad they are there. That most would include people I have "met" online. There aren't a whole lot, except those who seem to enjoy making mountains out of molehills, who feel they are being stripped of anything.
The exemptions are there for a reason, use them. You(general) have absolutely no excuse not to, period. You ARE able to make medical decisions for your own child, no one said you couldn't-hence why we have exemption forms for when our children intend to use the public schools/care facilities.
It's not like the children were taken to the gym because everyone was afraid they were going to get everyone else sick, come on now(that's how your post comes across).
There aren't nearly as many people as there used to be who are all "anti-vaxers against the rest of us", Yeah, there are some, but that's not how the entire world sees it. Just those who are close minded. You're(general, again) not exactly going to make much of a dent in that attitude when you make a mountain out of a molehill every single time anything that has to do with vaccinations(and those who choose not to get them, for whatever reason) comes up.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
September 23rd, 2011, 10:28 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 15,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
See now you're assuming that those who don't vaccinate their kids are not informed and those who do not send in an exemption are lazy parents.
The parents who didn't send the form ARE lazy! It is just a simple piece of paper! It is on the same piece of paper you have your physician sign to say you DID receive vaccinations.
__________________







Reply With Quote
  #36  
September 23rd, 2011, 10:29 AM
Tofu Bacon's Avatar Enigma... or oxymoron?
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: New Yawk
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
Putting them all in the gym like that was stupid-and made no sense(unless there was prior notice that this WOULD be happening, on this date, but I don't see it listed there, so doubtful). Just not letting them attend school until the proper forms were sent in/filled out makes sense though. They could have handled the entire situation better.
I think the reason they kept them in the gym was because the district would lose funding if they were sent home. They get from the state a certain amount per student per day, so by keeping them in school and giving them their assignments, the school still keeps their funding.

I mean really, they couldn't make this any easier: they even have the option of sending in a permission slip to have the vax administered at school. This complacency on the part of the parents is a prime reason why we have mandates in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
September 23rd, 2011, 10:29 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
I don't know how it is in Cali, but where I live it's not just a simple piece of paper. In a medical exemption the parent has to get the Doctor to sign saying the child has a medical reason not to get the vaccination. In a religious exemption the parent has to get a religious official to sign the form saying that for religious reasons they do not vaccinate. Not every parent doesn't vaccinate because of those two reasons, and not everyone can get someone to sign the exemption. It's not that easy peasy. With ds1 I could do a medical exemption, but with ds2? I haven't vaccinated him at all because of what happened with ds1 so I can't claim medical reasons for ds2. We also do not attend church so no one would sign a religious exemption. But we homeschool, so we don't have to deal with that anyways.
If you are still here, from post #3 from the ca.gov
Quote:
Your child may be exempted from some or all immunizations by a doctor because of a medical condition.
Your child may be exempted by you because of your personal or religious beliefs. Ask your school or child
care provider for details.

__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #38  
September 23rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
Yes they do decrease the reduce of transmission, but it doesn't mean that they still don't transmit things. It's not just the non-vaxers and with articles and comments like these it gets thrown out there like only non-vaxed are the ones doing it. People act like non-vaxed kids and adults walk around diseased ridden. There is such a huge distaste for those who do not vaccinate their kids, and it's insane.

I'm talking about in the SCHOOL where this paticular debate is about. Not about something that happened last year. These kids were pulled out of their classes and had to sit in a gym because parents made a legal choice not to vaccinate their kids. Form or no form, that is just stupid to pull kids out of class. If there was an outbreak, completely different, but this is about a parent not signing a form. Whoopty do. You already know which kids do not have their vaccines. And how do you know that those 11 babies that died (horrible and tragic and I'm very sad to hear about it) where from unvaccinated kids?
I don't see any distaste for people who don't vax(If you don't like the dang term why do you keep using it? You do realize you just perpetuate it's use, right?). A lot of the "distaste" we do see, especially online, comes about because of people who, again, make mountains out of molehills. There is no big deal here in this article. There is no big "let's get all those parents who don't vaccinate their children" message.
No one said ANYTHING about the kids who are non-vaxed are the ones "doing it". In fact the article didn't even talk about a specific outbreak in the school/area, so you're pulling that part out of thin air. They weren't removed from class because their parents chose not to vaccinate them. They were pulled from class because their parents decided not to follow the rules(for whatever reason). You clearly have never had a child in the public school system, or at least don't understand the policies in place. Follow the rules...nothing happens. Don't follow them...you'll have consequences. The school may have chosen an odd way(putting them all in the gym rather than simply sending them home), but it was still following policy.
Plenty of people who don't vaccinate, but intend to use the public schools/care facilities have no qualms following procedure. I have never understood why some make such a huge deal about it.
I don't vaccinate my children against everything, and I selectively delay/spread out the things I do choose to vaccinate against. I have never felt "slighted" against, or as if my power as a parent was ever being stripped from me, or my choices. If it weren't for parents who make a big deal when there isn't any, there wouldn't be as many people so adamantly "against" parents who don't vaccinate(and that goes for both sides of the fence, since people on both sides make a big deal out of absolutely nothing)
__________________

Last edited by Frackel; September 23rd, 2011 at 10:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
September 23rd, 2011, 10:42 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,207
Why are we assuming that these little snowflakes are the non-vaxed kids? I am putting my money on most of them actually being the kids who HAVE been vaccinated, and their parents are too lazy to send in the forms. Everyone I know who doesn't vax is very proactive in making sure that they have all their forms filled out and turned in correctly. And yes, having 4-5 months to get a form turned into the school and just "not getting around to it" IS lazy!!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
September 23rd, 2011, 01:03 PM
Regular
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
The parents who didn't send the form ARE lazy! It is just a simple piece of paper! It is on the same piece of paper you have your physician sign to say you DID receive vaccinations.
This is exactly how I feel. This has nothing to do with vax vs. not vax. It's about parents, who vax their kids or don't, not turning in the required paperwork. The kids were put in a room together because the school had no proof they were vaccinated. So they had to assume they weren't, and follow their policy of not allowing those children to attend classes. And no, I'm not saying non-vaxed kids are going to infect the school. But if the proper papers are not filed, then the school has to abide by their policy, which is to not allow the kids to attend class until the forms are turned in. Yes, they could have sent them home instead, but then this debate would be all about the horrible inconvenience the school placed on the parents by making them pick up their kids
__________________
Lucy and Lani
Fighting PCOS, Endometriosis, and APS Thrombophilia
~*~Our Precious Angels~*~
Nalani ~ 12 wks, Nohealani ~ 17 wks, Aolani ~ 11 wks
Lulani ~ 25 wks ~ Forever 1 day old
Leilani ~ 27 wks ~ Forever 4 days old







Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0