Single Gender Education

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 26th, 2011, 03:51 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Prep Academy needs to show proof of effectiveness of single-gender education to get grant

Quote:
The state Department of Public Instruction is requiring backers of the proposed Madison Preparatory Academy to provide scientific research supporting the effectiveness of single-gender education to receive additional funding.
The hurdle comes as university researchers are raising questions about whether such evidence exists. In an article published Thursday in the journal Science, researchers also say single-gender education increases gender stereotyping and legitimizes institutional sexism.
Quote:
The Urban League of Greater Madison originally proposed Madison Prep as an all-male charter school geared toward low-income minorities.
What do you feel about single gender education? Should public schools be allowed to institute plans for new single gender schools?

For reference, here's the Science journal article they refer to: http://aclu-wi.org/Issues/documents/...single-sex.pdf
September 26th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Publicly funded schools should not fund single gender schooling. The notion that girls and boys learning styles are different or that they need to be separated so that they are not distracted is an antiquated view. It only further plays upon gender stereotyping.

Private schools can teach children as they choose as they are not using public dollars.

September 27th, 2011, 02:31 AM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
Didn't read the link, sorry but first thought was - poor kids after going to a school where my "line" of education is with just girls.
I have never heard more drama than I have so far this year, girls are awful LOL

September 27th, 2011, 10:33 AM
We have two local Catholic schools that are gender specific- a school for boys only, and a school for girls only. Both of these schools have waiting lists, and are difficult to get into because of the waiting lists. The education is the same as the gender mixed Catholic highschools. I actually like it. I think that every gender can bring cattyness and highschool drama, but I think there would be more focus on school rather then the opposite sex. Plus, I wonder if things like teen pregnancy etc is lower? I'm off to see if I can dig up some info on that....

ETA: But no, I think think the education for any gender specific school should be taught the same with the same material.
September 27th, 2011, 11:36 AM
Keepin' it real!
Not sure.

Boys and girls are OBVIOUSLY not equal to one another, though. They DO learn differently and at different paces. You can't deny that. Do they both deserve the same human rights and equal opportunities? YES OF COURSE. Does this mean that there aren't obvious difference between boys and girls? Clearly, there are.

Example: Boys generally talk later than girls. They also tend to develop gross motor skills earlier.

People don't realize that these differences do not make one sex superior to another...Because of the misconception that there is superiority, people tend to freak when we admit that boys and girls are not the same.

Does this mean separating boys and girls is the answer? Don't know. I don't think there is a clear-cut answer. I think it depends on preferences. For every study showing that gender-specific schools are better for kids, there is a study showing that mixed-gender schools are just as great.

And my opinion is that people just make up their own stereotypes. Seriously, they do. If people just shut up, LISTENED, and really thought more open-mindedly, there wouldn't be any of this "Boys and girls are this..." going on.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
September 27th, 2011, 05:37 PM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Honestly, I'm not seeing much evidence about boys and girls learning differently. I think that individual STUDENTS learn differently (whether auditory, tactile, visual, etc.), but I don't think that has to do with gender per se.

I don't think there's enough of an argument for single gender classrooms. I have no issue with them existing, especially in the private sector, but I don't think there's enough evidence to support public funds being used.

September 28th, 2011, 05:37 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The male and female brains are different so I would think it would mean that they do not always learn in the same manner.
Discovery Health "Male and Female Brain Structure"
Quote:
In 2001, researchers from Harvard found that certain parts of the brain were differently sized in males and females, which may help balance out the overall size difference. The study found that parts of the frontal lobe, responsible for problem-solving and decision-making, and the limbic cortex, responsible for regulating emotions, were larger in women [source: Hoag]. In men, the parietal cortex, which is involved in space perception, and the amygdala, which regulates sexual and social behavior, were larger [source: Hoag].
Quote:
But the density of women's neurons, much like the size of a guy's brain, isn't any sort of magic bullet for predicting intelligence. Scientists know this because they've conducted imaging studies on how men and women think. As we've said, men use gray matter, and women use white, but they're also accessing different sections of the brain for the same task. In one study, men and women were asked to sound out different words. Men relied on just one small area on the left side of the brain to complete the task, while the majority of women used areas in both sides of the brain [source: Kolata]. However, both men and women sounded out the words equally well, indicating that there is more than one way for the brain to arrive at the same result. For example, while women get stuck with a bad reputation for reading maps, it may just be that they orient to landmarks differently. And as for intelligence, average IQ scores are the same for both men and women [source: Crenson].
10 Big Differences Between Men’s and Women’s Brains | Masters of Healthcare

Brains Wired Differently in Men vs. Women | LiveScience

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
September 28th, 2011, 04:56 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Backers of single-sex classes point to research that shows the genders learn in different ways. At elementary school age, they say, girls’ vision and thought processes have developed to respond better to color and detail, while boys’ brains are more apt at processing motion and direction.
Quote:
Sax said that as more same-sex schools crop up, data is beginning to show results. He and other proponents point to an elementary school in Deland, Fla., where fourth graders last year were randomly assigned to either a single-sex classroom or a co-ed one. In Woodward Elementary School’s co-ed classrooms, 57 percent of girls and 37 percent of boys passed a state writing test. In the single-sex classes, 75 percent of girls and 86 percent of boys passed.
Grade schools test single-sex classrooms - US news - Education - msnbc.com

Quote:
Percentage of students scoring proficient on the FCAT
boys in coed classes: 37% scored proficient

girls in coed classes: 59% scored proficient

girls in single-sex classes: 75% scored proficient

boys in single-sex classes: 86% scored proficient
NASSPE: Research > Single-Sex vs. Coed: The Evidence

It appears that there is some research supporting it. I'm not sure there is enough, though, to flat out say it should be done. I do, however, support it being a choice that parents can make.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search