Log In Sign Up

Making In-Home daycares a union


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
October 26th, 2011, 12:31 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
Right now in MN law makers are trying to make in-home daycares a union. What are your thoughts, should in-home daycares be a union?

Here is some media links to it Media reports - Minnesota Child Care Union Information
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #2  
October 26th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineKeepsMeSane View Post
I would expect it would drive up rates for a needed service that people already have a hard time affordng - especially the people who need it most like single mothers.
This is what I was thinking as well.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #3  
October 26th, 2011, 08:59 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: where chili has beans
Posts: 13,348
I would expect it would drive up rates for a needed service that people already have a hard time affordng - especially the people who need it most like single mothers.
__________________
Ashley, mommy to Mackenzie 01/01/08

Reply With Quote
  #4  
October 26th, 2011, 09:19 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,499
That's ridiculous. So they don't have to join the union, but still have to pay dues? That's just wrong on so many levels. Also, like Ashley said, it would drive up the rates. They need to make a living like everyone else does and to take money out of their hands for no reason is just absurd.
__________________

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11



Reply With Quote
  #5  
October 26th, 2011, 09:59 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
Yeah people are pretty angry about it. My mom has been doing in home daycare for 30 years and she's not for it, and no one else that she knows is either. MN already has some of the highest in home daycare rates and they would have to bring the cost up more because of this. I think it's completely stupid.
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #6  
October 26th, 2011, 10:02 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
That's ridiculous. So they don't have to join the union, but still have to pay dues? That's just wrong on so many levels. Also, like Ashley said, it would drive up the rates. They need to make a living like everyone else does and to take money out of their hands for no reason is just absurd.
To the bolded, isn't that how a lot of unions work though?
I guess it varies from state to state but here's what I've found about Maine.
Who*pays union dues? — Maine Opinion — Bangor Daily News

Quote:
Currently, if a state worker or public school teacher does not join the union, he or she still is assessed a fee in lieu of union dues. The logic behind the law that allows this is that the employee is benefiting from the union’s efforts.
The portion deducted from the nonunion member’s pay is computed to equal the union’s negotiation costs. This seems reasonable.
But it also seems reasonable that an employee should be able to work and not join the union without having to pay a portion of his or her wages to the union. The assessment, though significantly less than union dues, can be seen as punitive. It certainly is mandatory, leaving many nonunion member workers feeling their rights have been infringed upon.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #7  
October 26th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,040
I don't see a problem for those who wish to participate in one to form and join one. I disagree with making it a mandatory thing and to allow those who don't want to to be able to operate without paying dues.

Tradesmen don't have to be in the union, many do so because it is a benefit to their business . Those who are not union are still allowed work in the same capacity as those who are union, they just don't have anything formal stating they meet what the union guidelines and expectations are, which are many times more stringent than the states.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #8  
October 26th, 2011, 10:27 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
To the bolded, isn't that how a lot of unions work though?
I guess it varies from state to state but here's what I've found about Maine.
Who*pays union dues? — Maine Opinion — Bangor Daily News
Yes, they do and I know that. However, when you take a union job, you know that before hand. This isn't a case of oh let me go apply for xzy union job. This is a case of I'm a licensed in home daycare provider and now because of a law change I'm forced to pay union dues even if I don't join. One is going into said job with their eyes wide open. The other is being bamboozled by Uncle Sam.
__________________

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11



Reply With Quote
  #9  
October 26th, 2011, 11:33 AM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 16,621
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Kind of sounds like extortion to me.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #10  
October 26th, 2011, 11:43 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
Yes, they do and I know that. However, when you take a union job, you know that before hand. This isn't a case of oh let me go apply for xzy union job. This is a case of I'm a licensed in home daycare provider and now because of a law change I'm forced to pay union dues even if I don't join. One is going into said job with their eyes wide open. The other is being bamboozled by Uncle Sam.
I see your point and agree but I'm not a fan of the whole mandatory union dues controversy in the first place.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #11  
October 26th, 2011, 12:03 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
I see your point and agree but I'm not a fan of the whole mandatory union dues controversy in the first place.
Neither am I. I hated them when I was union. I felt bullied into joining since I was going to be paying the dues regardless.
__________________

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11



Reply With Quote
  #12  
November 5th, 2011, 11:05 AM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
Personally, I'm not sure about this. I do think states already get into everyone's business TOO much. I think that parents should be the ones to decide where they want their kids. I do think that parents also need to be more reasonable with what they're willing to pay a provider. When I took kids, I had parents who wanted to pay me $1 per hour, leave the kids there 12 hours per day (so I'd make $12 for the whole day) because they were "single moms" or "having issues financially" but yet they could afford piercings & tattoos, nails, hair, etc. Bull$hit! Your child should ALWAYS come first. I just couldn't understand why people would put their money into those things, but not the care of their children. The priorities didn't make sense. If you are really struggling, that's one thing, but I don't want to do care with a slap-in-the-face rate where I can't make do but yet you, whom I've worked with, are going out reaping the rewards. Irritating.

I think I want to be allowed to say "NO MORE" if I want and not have to get permission from a union first. I don't see how fees would need to increase, though, since dues would be a tax write-off like everything else for daycare.
__________________
Lynn
Mom to many



1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
Reply With Quote
  #13  
November 5th, 2011, 11:31 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: CA
Posts: 12,545
I see both sides. On one hand, it would get the day care providers a good living wage (hopefully), because right now they compete w/ others. On the other hand, day care is super expensive and we couldn't even afford it for our twins! Honestly, I would love to see FREE care for all, but that won't happen.

As for dues... I am in the teacher's union and we pay dues. You have to "sign up" to be IN the union, so there are some who pay dues but aren't members. And yes, we have to pay dues. I'm not sure I agree with it. If you don't want to be in the union, don't/. Although, all the bargaining would positively effect those members anyway, so I see the benefits.
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #14  
November 5th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
^You say free care for all.

Who would pay the providers? Would this be done via the state? Would it be done via co-op? I can't imagine watching kids all day long with NO pay.
__________________
Lynn
Mom to many



1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
Reply With Quote
  #15  
November 5th, 2011, 06:50 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
The providers would still have to pay yearly dues.

Sometimes you can get free daycare. The Government sometimes pays, I'm sure you have to be super low income. And some jobs actually will pay the daycare fee up to a certain amount (my mom has had that before from parents). If we had free daycare for all then the Government would have to pay the providers since it can be expensive to run an in home daycare.
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:41 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0