Shoplifting Safeway Mom

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 2nd, 2011, 08:32 AM
Super Mommy
Safeway drops sandwich theft charges against pregnant mom, husband | Wichita Eagle

Quote:
The couple were arrested last week when Nicole, who is 30 weeks pregnant, ate a sandwich while shopping and walked out without paying.

Their daughter Zofia was taken away by state Child Welfare Services officials. She was returned to her parents 18 hours later.
So what do you think? I think maybe you shouldn't eat food you haven't paid for. My best friend thinks Safeway was completely wrong.

Mary Elizabeth stillborn at 26 weeks
November 2nd, 2011, 08:44 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Well, she walked out without paying. If you are going to eat what you are shopping for in the store then you still have to pay for it when you checkout. She pretty much stole it.

November 2nd, 2011, 08:55 AM
rose198172's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For some reason, the article in the OP wouldn't load for me. This is a more detailed description of what happened:

Couple arrested and child taken for forgetting to pay for sandwi - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL Home

It was an oversight. No, they probably shouldn't have eaten the sandwiches before paying, but they offered to pay as soon as they realized that they had forgotten to scan the wrappers. I'm sorry, but arresting a couple and taking their child into custody for 18 hours over $5 worth of merchandise is ridiculous and wrong. It isn't as though they walked out with an entire cart of groceries. They paid for their groceries, realized their mistake when they were approached, and tried to pay. The store should have honored that without further incident.

November 2nd, 2011, 09:07 AM
Super Mommy
At first, I was going to say that it just taught her it was okay to steal since she got away with it. However, upon actually reading the article (LOL), her intent was not to steal. She saved the wrapper, which a thief would not do. I think it was an accident, which I've always feared of actually happening to me! I'm sure Safeway has policies in place, but policies always seem to neglect common sense.
November 2nd, 2011, 09:10 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I read this yesterday and can't believe people are actually siding with Safeway! Who hasn't walked out of a grocery store and didn't realize until they were in the parking lot that they had something under their cart that they hadn't paid for, that their baby was holding onto something that they didn't pay for, etc? When they realized that they hadn't paid, they offered to pay on the spot, but that wasn't good enough for safeway. They made sure this couple (with no prior record) was arrested, charged and THEIR CHILD WAS TAKEN AWAY FROM THEM! Wrong, wrong, wrong and a complete over reaction.

I would also like to point out that this mom was pregnant. How many of us, while pregnant, have memory lapses sometimes (or often)? If you say you've never forgotten anything due to preggo brain, you're lying. Plus, they had just moved, and I'm sure were tired and stressed. And let's be honest, who goes into a store and spends over $50 just so they can steal a sandwich?
November 2nd, 2011, 09:13 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I should rename myself Tiffany cause the other two Tiffanys posted what I was going to.

November 2nd, 2011, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineKeepsMeSane View Post
I should rename myself Tiffany cause the other two Tiffanys posted what I was going to.
You really should. All the best girls are named Tiffany.
November 2nd, 2011, 09:34 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePiecesofOurPuzzle View Post
For some reason, the article in the OP wouldn't load for me. This is a more detailed description of what happened:

Couple arrested and child taken for forgetting to pay for sandwi - Hawaii News Now - KGMB and KHNL Home

It was an oversight. No, they probably shouldn't have eaten the sandwiches before paying, but they offered to pay as soon as they realized that they had forgotten to scan the wrappers. I'm sorry, but arresting a couple and taking their child into custody for 18 hours over $5 worth of merchandise is ridiculous and wrong. It isn't as though they walked out with an entire cart of groceries. They paid for their groceries, realized their mistake when they were approached, and tried to pay. The store should have honored that without further incident.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

November 2nd, 2011, 09:35 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
After hearing more details, Safeway totally overreacted. The article wouldn't load for me either.

That's bull&*%$!

November 2nd, 2011, 09:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
A couple of years ago, I acccidently walked out of a Meijer store without paying for $80 worth of groceries. I was doing the self check out & there was an issue. While I was waiting for an employee to correct it, I started to bag my groceries. I usually pay 1st & then bag so when I got done, I just left (tired, harried mom). Thankfully the I shopped there weekly because the employee recognized me & ran after me. I was so incredibly embarrassed. I've never stolen anything in my life! I ran back inside, apologized profusing & paid.

Thankfully I wasn't at a Safeway store! I would probably still be in prison.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
November 2nd, 2011, 10:09 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post

I would also like to point out that this mom was pregnant. How many of us, while pregnant, have memory lapses sometimes (or often)? If you say you've never forgotten anything due to preggo brain, you're lying. Plus, they had just moved, and I'm sure were tired and stressed. And let's be honest, who goes into a store and spends over $50 just so they can steal a sandwich?
Yeh, but what about her husband who also ate a $5 sandwich? He isn't pregnant? can't use that excuse.

In the end I was a very bad over reaction but I can bet they won't do that again nor shop at Safeway

Reminds me of those thieves that eat the grapes before they pay for them.

November 2nd, 2011, 10:29 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
You really should. All the best girls are named Tiffany.
Hi, I'm Tiffany too!
<--- AGREES
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaB View Post
Yeh, but what about her husband who also ate a $5 sandwich? He isn't pregnant? can't use that excuse.

In the end I was a very bad over reaction but I can bet they won't do that again nor shop at Safeway

Reminds me of those thieves that eat the grapes before they pay for them.
No you didn't!!!

November 2nd, 2011, 10:40 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Its pretty bad for both mom and dad to have pg brain.

I would guess the store might be changing their policy after this incident.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
November 2nd, 2011, 10:43 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Safeway completely overreacted. I don't see how anyone could side with Safeway.
November 2nd, 2011, 11:06 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by melkissa2004 View Post
Hi, I'm Tiffany too!
<--- AGREES

No you didn't!!!

oh yes I did! Come out come out wherever you are!

November 2nd, 2011, 11:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
Its pretty bad for both mom and dad to have pg brain.

I would guess the store might be changing their policy after this incident.
OL - true, but doesn't the article say she was the one holding onto the wrappers?
November 2nd, 2011, 11:32 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Over reation. I would never shop at this chain if I had one near by because of this. SICKENING that she got her kid taken over a sandwich that she offered to pay for after the mistake was caught. Nobody buys $50 in groceries to steal a $5 sandwich.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

November 2nd, 2011, 01:30 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
OL - true, but doesn't the article say she was the one holding onto the wrappers?
It also says that she put the wrappers in the cart so how did she miss them when she paid for the rest of the items in her cart? It also sounds like her dh was right there with her so both of them forgot they ate store sandwiches and neither of them noticed the sandwich wrappers in the cart at the check out while they removed all their other groceries?

Obviously the store policy is way over the top and I do not feel the couple should have been arrested. They should have been allowed to pay when they were caught, but I don't know as I buy that neither remembered or noticed the wrappers.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
November 2nd, 2011, 01:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
It also says that she put the wrappers in the cart so how did she miss them when she paid for the rest of the items in her cart? It also sounds like her dh was right there with her so both of them forgot they ate store sandwiches and neither of them noticed the sandwich wrappers in the cart at the check out while they removed all their other groceries?

Obviously the store policy is way over the top and I do not feel the couple should have been arrested. They should have been allowed to pay when they were caught, but I don't know as I buy that neither remembered or noticed the wrappers.
Like I said, I didn't pay for $80 worth of groceries. I wasn't pregnant - just distracted. People are human, they make mistakes.

Either way the punishment didn't fit the crime.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
November 3rd, 2011, 02:47 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have worked in retail off and on for many years, including working at a grocery store. We always offered to allow shoplifters to pay for the items up to $50. If they couldn't pay or we had to forcibly detain them (which is legal in my state) we turned them over to the police. The police would then write them a citation to appear in court if the items they stole were under $100 and they were non-violent or they were arrested if it was over $100 or they were violent.

I can't recall the amount of parents that would give their kids grapes, apples, bananas, bulk candy/nuts, salad bar, and other items that were sold by weight and then get mad at us when we couldn't total it onto their bill without a hassle. It just really reaffirms that you shouldn't eat items you haven't payed for.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search