Should this judge be disbarred

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2011, 10:34 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
Has anyone heard of this case?

This video was released by this judge's daughter. Apparently her "crime" was "using the internet" back in 2004. This judge has a reputation of siding with abusers during child abuse cases.

The video is GRAPHIC, blatant abuse. Please do not watch it if you think you can't handle it. You have been warned.

Call To Action of the Day - The Daily What

I'm not posting this as provocation of any kind, this is not an anti spanking debate, I am just really curious as to what if any punishment you feel this judge should get.

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
November 3rd, 2011, 11:22 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would assume a criminal conviction would be an automatic removal from the bench and disbarment, no? Once he has had his due process then his professional ramifications can kick in.

November 3rd, 2011, 11:26 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think it would be fair for him to continue to oversee in a family court setting. That kind of activity would show to me that he has a personal bias that would not protect the children at the best level they should be protected.
November 3rd, 2011, 12:40 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho06 View Post
I would assume a criminal conviction would be an automatic removal from the bench and disbarment, no? Once he has had his due process then his professional ramifications can kick in.
Personally, I think someone should take a belt to his body and whip him the way he whipped her. But hey that's not going to happen.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

November 3rd, 2011, 02:03 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho06 View Post
Depending on the jurisdiction, no. Most jurisdictions do automatically disbar for a criminal FELONY conviction (I can't watch the video at work, so I'm not sure what his conviction was?). However, there is no standard for permanent disbarments. He may have been disbarred for a conviction and able to reapply to the bar sometime after (again, varies by both jurisdiction and penalty). The American Bar Association actually disagrees with automatic disbarment because of criminal felony conviction.

November 3rd, 2011, 02:27 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He hasn't been convicted of anything as of yet. The video is of him giving his daughter with CP a rather brutal beating with a belt. If they are able to charge and convict him of assaulting a person with a disability it is a 2nd degree felony.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeToTheMax View Post
Depending on the jurisdiction, no. Most jurisdictions do automatically disbar for a criminal FELONY conviction (I can't watch the video at work, so I'm not sure what his conviction was?). However, there is no standard for permanent disbarments. He may have been disbarred for a conviction and able to reapply to the bar sometime after (again, varies by both jurisdiction and penalty). The American Bar Association actually disagrees with automatic disbarment because of criminal felony conviction.

November 3rd, 2011, 02:51 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Holy ####### ####. That video is sick, he is sick, and her mother is sick. Rot in hell, #######. They both need to go to jail.

Last edited by Twinkle; November 3rd, 2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: profanity
November 3rd, 2011, 02:52 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
it's probably useful to conceptually separate disbarment which would (permanently, or for a period of time) prevent him from practicing any type of law in Texas (or other states, if he's licensed there and disbarment proceedings were initiated in those other locations) from whether or not he should continue in his role as a judge.

He can be (and i think already has been?) suspended from his activities as a judge pending investigation, etc. and that seems the right thing to do since (for me at least) i found it very troubling that as a family court judge he ruled on cases involving parenting issues.

Whether he'll be sanctioned or disbarred ultimately will depend on whether his actions/behavior conflicted with his prof & ethical obligations as a member of the bar, regardless of whether this eventually results in a felony conviction...although if it does it probably increases the likelihood of some type of action being taken against him by the TX Bar.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
November 3rd, 2011, 02:52 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Ok, can't watch it. Therefore I don't know. I can't form an opinion. I have a really hard time watching abuse like that.

November 3rd, 2011, 05:44 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Ummm.... O.M.F.G!
I read this story last night and I had NO IDEA the extent of the video. Holy crap. I had to turn my head. That was absolutely disgusting!

November 3rd, 2011, 06:40 PM
Undomesticated Housewife's Avatar Master(de)bater
I think he should be "spanked in the fk'ing face"..
November 3rd, 2011, 06:53 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
I have a very close friend that has CP, and this girl reminds me so much of her. This just breaks my heart.

November 3rd, 2011, 07:36 PM
foxfire_ga79
Judging by the reactions here I'm thinking I shouldn't watch the video. I don't think he should be disbarred. I think he should be tarred, feathered and flogged. Then jailed.
Yes, violence solves problems. Fight fire with fire.
November 4th, 2011, 02:08 AM
As sick as the video is to watch, honestly I felt faint when the mother came and said to her "take it like a woman" I'm not sure why but that really bothered me.

It felt almost sexual, misogynistic and just plain ick.

Thanks for explaining the criminal side, as I had no idea how that would work. I guess now just wait and see if he actually gets convicted. I'm going to follow this one.

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
November 4th, 2011, 03:33 AM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
I got an infraction for releasing my thoughts with curse words. JM, you suck smegma covered balls.
November 4th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He should be charged but he won't be
Judge will not face charges in beating video case - Houston Chronicle
Quote:
A family court judge won't face charges in the 2004 beating of his then-16-year-old daughter, an incident shown in a viral YouTube video, because the five-year statute of limitations has expired, Rockport Police Chief Tim Jayroe said Thursday.
Had the incident come to light sooner, Aransas County Court-at-Law Judge William Adams probably would have been charged with causing injury to a child or other assault-related offenses, Jayroe said.
“We believe that there was a criminal offense involved and that there was substantial evidence to indicate that, and under normal circumstances ... a charge could have been made,” Jayroe said.
Quote:
“We are looking to see if there are other offenses involved that could have a different statute,” Jayroe said.
Hillary Adams' ataxic cerebral palsy is not a severe enough disability to become a factor in any charges, Jayroe said.
“Her symptoms are that she has balance problems,” he said. “But she lives on her own, in her own home, drives a car, buys her own clothes, cooks her own meals. By definition, that is not handicapped.”

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
November 4th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Ugh that sucks! On this thread? LOL, I thought you just wrote those ### in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
Darn statute of limitations

November 4th, 2011, 06:07 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Handicapped doesn't mean you can't live alone, buy your own stuff, and drive your own car. I'm handicapped and I can do all that.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
November 4th, 2011, 07:28 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
Handicapped doesn't mean you can't live alone, buy your own stuff, and drive your own car. I'm handicapped and I can do all that.
Yay me too! I don't get this one.

I didn't watch it - thankfully read the responses 1st and just can't watch it now. I can only imagine that this wasn't the 1st or last time this was done. So sad.

I hope some crazy that he ruled against see this & takes matters into his own hands. Yeah violence isn't the answer but child abusers really get to me.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
November 4th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
Yes, my mom does all those things and she is definitely handicapped. She also has "balance problems" like the girl, but that means she has 15% balance of a regular person. That is no small handicap, it affects everything she does.

Last edited by MindyRambo; November 4th, 2011 at 08:05 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search