Taking Husband's Last Name

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2011, 07:38 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bb Cowgirl
Women Still Prefer Taking Husband's Last Name - Technology & science - Science - LiveScience - msnbc.com

Quote:
The researchers found that more than two-thirds of Americans in the study said that it's best if a woman takes her husband's name upon marriage. The researchers expected that a majority of Americans would feel this way, Powell said, but they were more surprised to find that 50 percent supported a law requiring women to take their husband's name.
Thoughts on this? Is the act of women taking husband's last name outdated? Is anyone else surprised that a majority of the people surveyed would support a law forcing all married women to take their husband's name? Did you (or do you plan to, if not married) take your husband's name and what motivated you to do it/not do it?

Personally, if i'd know what a huge pain in the butt it'd be to do all the name changing activities I might have just kept my maiden name

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)

Last edited by L-SBB; November 3rd, 2011 at 07:56 PM.
November 3rd, 2011, 07:54 PM
foxfire_ga79
Both times I got married I changed my last name, but I don't support a law requiring it. I guess it's kind of outdated, but I don't mind it. Some traditions are pretty cool.
Besides, now that I'm estranged from my dad I'm glad for the excuse to not still have that name.
November 3rd, 2011, 08:05 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think a law requiring it would be wrong. I took my husband's last name because I hated my maiden name. Mine was such a mess.... I'm still dealing with it 5+ years later.
November 3rd, 2011, 08:23 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
A law? Heck no. There shouldn't be a law that says you have to take someone's last name. Outdated? Maybe, but plenty of people like the tradition.

I took my DH's last name. I took it for many reasons. I didn't like my maiden name, way too common and so is my first, so I know more than 1 person with my first and last name. I also liked having the same last name, less confusion, etc. I also like my kids having the same last name as DH and I, again, less confusion, etc.
November 3rd, 2011, 10:09 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I did not take DH's last name. I saw no need to and did not want to deal with the PITA of changing over a ton of stuff to a different name. I have a different last name than my kids, but it's not a big deal. It's never caused any problems.

I am surprised that 50% would support a law requiring women to change their name. I'd like to know who these people were that were polled, because wanting a law doesn't seem to reflect attitudes that I've seen.
November 4th, 2011, 03:25 AM
KimberlyD0
I don't support the law itself, but it doesn't overly bother me either.

I did switch to my DH's last name because it was a PITA having my maiden name while he and the girls had his last name. Changing it wasn't to hard, the only issue is I got pregnant right after the wedding so changing it was held of for a year so I could have DD#2. More because it was less of a pain that way then doing it while pregnant since there was less paperwork involved.

The only problem with waiting though was my Midwife filled out the birth certificate with DD#2 having my last name and not DH's. For a while the girls had different last names. That was a bigger PITA to change then mine was.

Plus DH's last name is a lot easier to spell and say.
November 4th, 2011, 05:31 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with everyone else, making it a law is silly. It's not really a big deal not having the same last name as your kids, seeing as you can name your kid Michael Jackson if you wanted to, and not be anywhere near related to a Jackson. I have Rob's last name, even though it is way more common than my maiden name was.

November 4th, 2011, 06:27 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow, a law? Totally against that. I took my husband's name for about a dozen reasons, but I don't really care what any other woman chooses to do, it doesn't affect me.
November 4th, 2011, 07:05 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
A law is just...insert foul language here... I took DH's last name, but most others, I had my reasons. Making this a law is taking us back to the darn 40s. And to hear that so many would be for it, is just mind boggling.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

November 4th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm totally against the law. That's going backwards. It should be a choice.

After my 1st marriage, I took my ex's last name because I was not happy with my parents. I took my 2nd husband's name because I didn't want my ex's last name on my son's hospital stuff when he was born. Because they use the mom's name & not the dads.

For me it's just easier to have the same name as my kids.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
November 4th, 2011, 07:43 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
I think a law is stupid, I wouldn't support that.

I did take my husband's last name, although I wasn't absolutely thrilled to do so (he thought I should be... guess he's talked to those 50%? he thought all women got excited to change their name when they got married). I did it because I figured it would make our lives easier if we had the same name and we had the same name as our kids. After 3 1/2 years I've finally started getting used to it, although I still use my maiden name for some things at work (officially it's changed, but I didn't bother getting my email address changed).

November 4th, 2011, 07:45 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
I don't support the law itself, but it doesn't overly bother me either.

I did switch to my DH's last name because it was a PITA having my maiden name while he and the girls had his last name. Changing it wasn't to hard, the only issue is I got pregnant right after the wedding so changing it was held of for a year so I could have DD#2. More because it was less of a pain that way then doing it while pregnant since there was less paperwork involved.

The only problem with waiting though was my Midwife filled out the birth certificate with DD#2 having my last name and not DH's. For a while the girls had different last names. That was a bigger PITA to change then mine was.

Plus DH's last name is a lot easier to spell and say.
Why the heck would it matter while you were pregnant or not??? Given that I've changed my name in the same province as you, I do have a clue what's involved, and it was not that laborious. In Ontario you can legally assume your partner's name with very little effort. You show your marriage certificate at the Ministry of Transportation to get a new driver's licence, and you can get everything else with that licence. It has nothing to do with being pregnant.... not even your health card changes if you are pregnant or not.

A law is ***** ridiculous. It's a personal choice.

November 4th, 2011, 07:45 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Wow. This is ridiculous. Why should a woman be forced by law to give up her own last name. I changed my name after 3 years. I still am not thrilled about it and my husband doesn't see the point in it. We are just as married as everyone else, but he doesn't own me. Making it a law makes it feel like ownership of another person because it takes your choice out of it. Such bull*&^@

November 4th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I still don't know if I'm going to take my husband's last name, for now I'm still using my maiden name. I like my maiden name and REALLY dislike my husband's last name (there are three different family "lines" in this town with the same last name) but it is a huge PITA having to explain that yes, we're married but I just didn't take his name. Especially when you have a kid -shudder-.

November 4th, 2011, 10:10 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If I'd gotten married after I had my degree and started my career I don't know if I would have changed it. I was still in school though, and at the time did not want my father's last name any more, so I did. Besides, I stick out enough in my church as it is, that would just make it even more so I'd have a BIG problem with someone telling me I HAD to though.

November 4th, 2011, 10:50 AM
KimberlyD0
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineKeepsMeSane View Post
Why the heck would it matter while you were pregnant or not??? Given that I've changed my name in the same province as you, I do have a clue what's involved, and it was not that laborious. In Ontario you can legally assume your partner's name with very little effort. You show your marriage certificate at the Ministry of Transportation to get a new driver's licence, and you can get everything else with that licence. It has nothing to do with being pregnant.... not even your health card changes if you are pregnant or not.

A law is ***** ridiculous. It's a personal choice.
It was more the having to go back half way through the pregnancy and changing all the information that the midwife had, the OB, the hospital records, all that stuff. Once I did change it when she was born it wasn't a big deal, but it was to much during the pregnancy, thats not to say no one should do it, it was just easier for me. It did take a few months for everything to change even after the baby.
November 4th, 2011, 11:21 AM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
Wow. This is ridiculous. Why should a woman be forced by law to give up her own last name. I changed my name after 3 years. I still am not thrilled about it and my husband doesn't see the point in it. We are just as married as everyone else, but he doesn't own me. Making it a law makes it feel like ownership of another person because it takes your choice out of it. Such bull*&^@
THIS!!

I was supposed to take my DH's last name when we got married and I...uh...stalled. LOL! I still go by my maiden name, and I have 3 kids with 3 different last names. My first has my ex's and my last name hyphenated, my second has just my last name, and my youngest has my DH's last name. LOL! I will most likely change my name, I just haven't gotten around to it. I don't want to but it was important to DH, even though I find the practice archaic.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
November 4th, 2011, 11:26 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
I didn't take my husband's last name. If I ever decide to change it at all, I will hyphenate. I had many reasons for it, some more important than others. I like my maiden name, too big of a hassle, dd#1 has my last name, DH doesn't have a large family and I've never felt a "part" of it, don't think it's a big deal, outdated, ownership, etc.)

November 5th, 2011, 05:41 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
I would definitely not support this law, that is ridiculous.

That being said, in Quebec, you cannot take your husbands name. You can go by your married name socially ie introducing yourself with your married name, but all identification has to be your maiden name.

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
November 5th, 2011, 07:02 AM
KimberlyD0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MindyRambo View Post
I would definitely not support this law, that is ridiculous.

That being said, in Quebec, you cannot take your husbands name. You can go by your married name socially ie introducing yourself with your married name, but all identification has to be your maiden name.
I think that laws just as bad, it should be a choice either way frankly.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search