Target

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2011, 04:57 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Quote:
As more retailers try to turn Thanksgiving Thursday into Black Friday — some employees are fighting back.
Quote:

More than 40,000 people signed an online petition on change.org asking retail giant Target to reverse its decision to open its doors on Thanksgiving Day — and allow workers to spend the holiday with family and friends.

There are hundreds of comments on the petition supporting retail workers’ rights to Thanksgiving Day off, including this one from Caroline Hemenway: “This is absurd! Corporations are treating their workforce like serfs and fomenting a toxic consumer culture. Pure, unadulterated greed.”

The campaign was launched by Anthony Hardwick, a Target employee from Omaha, Nebraska, following news that the company’s management had moved the standard Black Friday opening time from 5 a.m. on Friday to midnight on Thanksgiving. The new opening time will require employees to arrive at work by 11 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day.

“All Americans should be able to break bread with loved ones on Thanksgiving,” said Hardwick, who works as a part-time parking attendant at a Target store in Omaha. “With the midnight opening, employees like myself will have to leave for work right in the middle of Thanksgiving dinner. We don’t mind hard work, but cutting into our holidays is a step too far.”

“If Target doesn’t reverse its decision and allow associates to spend Thanksgiving holidays with their family, they might suffer from a fast-growing consumer backlash,” Hardwick added.

Will they? After Target, Macy’s, Best Buy and Kohl’s announced plan to open at midnight on Thanksgiving – the biggest fish of them all — Walmart — decided to go even further and open at 10 p.m. on Thanksgiving.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2011/11/14/retail-workers-fight-back-want-stores-closed-on-thanksgiving/
Thoughts?

Will Target and these other big box stores face a backlash from consumer's for making employee's work?

November 15th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When you work in retail, you risk not spending time with your family on EVERY.FREAKIN.HOLIDAY. To retail employers you are just a number, they don't give two craps about you, your health, your family etc etc etc. They just see dollar signs.

November 15th, 2011, 05:47 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's crappy that an industry that historically had the major holidays off are now having to work with little notice but I honestly don't think there will be much in the way of consumer backlash. People who are going there for the deals don't care if an employee looses time with their family.

It's also not unheard of for people to work a major holiday. When I worked I did, DH still does and at least around here gas station, convenience stores, movie theaters and some other retail shops stay open regardless of if it's a holiday.

November 15th, 2011, 06:06 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
yeah i don't see a backlash coming, nor is this really so new a trend to open stores on days when you'd think everyone would be at home with their families. When i worked retail 20 years ago, I remember having to work until 11pm on Christmas Eve, and i'm guessing it's even worse for restaurants, don't they generally stay open on Thanksgiving anyway? Truly the only "off limits" holiday was Christmas itself, and they could care less at that time if you celebrated a different religion and needed a holiday off for that.

I don't shop on these holidays (including Black Friday) and i suppose if enough people stayed home or shopped online instead the stores would eventually get the message....there must be a lot of people who want to shop on Thanksgiving though, or they wouldn't bother being open.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
November 15th, 2011, 06:10 AM
Super Mommy
I know several people that work holidays that are not in retail. As a child I had to wait some times 3 days with my mom working 12 hour nights until she had a day off and some sleep. As a child yes, I was mad, but that sacrifice comes with a lot of professions. If the new hours will prevent one death then it's worth it. I feel black Friday should be done away with and sales should be spread out through out the season in 1/4 day spurts.
November 15th, 2011, 06:52 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguels mommy View Post
I know several people that work holidays that are not in retail. As a child I had to wait some times 3 days with my mom working 12 hour nights until she had a day off and some sleep. As a child yes, I was mad, but that sacrifice comes with a lot of professions. If the new hours will prevent one death then it's worth it. I feel black Friday should be done away with and sales should be spread out through out the season in 1/4 day spurts.

1/4th day spurts? that won't be crowded especially during the day

November 15th, 2011, 06:58 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They have to arrive to work at 11 pm on Thanksgiving? Who is spending time with family or eating turkey dinner at 11 pm?
November 15th, 2011, 07:05 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
They have to arrive to work at 11 pm on Thanksgiving? Who is spending time with family or eating turkey dinner at 11 pm?
That's my first thought. We eat in the afternoon, which would give time to eat and go sleep for awhile.

I know it isn't ideal, and I wouldn't love it, but I guess that's part of working for a department store like that. They are sort of known (like Walmart) for their Black Friday sales. Maybe this will make the "rush" a little less and it won't be as stressful. I don't know.

November 15th, 2011, 08:43 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I understand not wanting to work a Holiday, but most places are still open on Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, part of Christmas and part of New Years Eve and day. There are very few places that are closed during the Holidays here. Daycares is pretty much the only thing that is closed.

Gas stations, stores, restaurants, Pilots, cab drivers, other public transit, etc still work during the Holidays. We still don't know if DH will work on Thanksgiving or not, he may work Christmas Eve and day too. The only way he won't work is if it's a Sunday or if it falls on his 3 days off (he does 3 12 hour days, 1 6 hour day, and then 3 days off).
November 15th, 2011, 09:34 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
The managers have to be there at 10 pm, team members have to be there at 11:45. Everyone is working 10 hour shifts from what I've heard. Which means, they either have to spend the holiday with their family until 2 pm, so they can actually get enough sleep to deal with that shift or they just have to stay up for 24+ hours. Its the entire day ruined because retailers want to be open an extra 5 or 6 hours.

Holidays are about family. Not about an $8 an hour job that over takes your life. So yeah, I'm pi$$ed off that we are all expected to throw away our holiday with our family so that we can show up to work and deal with a bunch of rude, ungrateful, nasty people who b!tch and complain at us all freaking day. Not only are they forcing us to work, but they are also not paying any extra for the overnight shift, which is the norm. Not only is it a crappy day, that has now ruined a holiday for 100+ people at every store, but we were also required to hire 26 extra cashiers (just for our store) for that day and a ton of people to be on the salesfloor. Which means the normal team members, who already have too much work, now need to train an entire new staff which was unexpected for all of us.

I'll be ****** if any $8 an hour job (which I don't even make after 3 years there) will ever take a holiday away from my family. I flat out told them I would not be there until after noon on black Friday. I'm not even available to work on Fridays but according to my HR manager - our availability means absolutely nothing on Black Friday / Saturday. Real nice. Shows how little they care about us. Its out of control and I hope that the petition gets somewhere. Show Target exactly how their team members feel about their wonderful new policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
That's my first thought. We eat in the afternoon, which would give time to eat and go sleep for awhile.

I know it isn't ideal, and I wouldn't love it, but I guess that's part of working for a department store like that. They are sort of known (like Walmart) for their Black Friday sales. Maybe this will make the "rush" a little less and it won't be as stressful. I don't know.
No, its not part of working for a department store. As it was, we were only guaranteed 3 or 4 days off a year and now they are taking one of those away. Its ridiculous to expect your severely underpaid and overworked employees to be available all of the time. Its retail, we aren't doctors - there is a different expectation of availablitiy. There is little we expect from our employer but having time with our family on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter was one of them and they should respect that time with our family. Clearly they do not.
November 15th, 2011, 09:45 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
While I agree with this statement...
Quote:
Caroline Hemenway: “This is absurd! Corporations are treating their workforce like serfs and fomenting a toxic consumer culture. Pure, unadulterated greed.”
I also agree with the sentiment that this is retail and it's just the nature of retail. Besides, retail isn't the only job where people have to work holidays. Are people forgetting all about emergency personnel? They have to work holidays. Most restaurant workers don't even get the holidays off at all. Usually it's mainly office staff that get those days off. If you work for the blue collar industry, you will most likely be forced to work a holiday or two or more.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

November 15th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
The managers have to be there at 10 pm, team members have to be there at 11:45. Everyone is working 10 hour shifts from what I've heard. Which means, they either have to spend the holiday with their family until 2 pm, so they can actually get enough sleep to deal with that shift or they just have to stay up for 24+ hours. Its the entire day ruined because retailers want to be open an extra 5 or 6 hours.

Holidays are about family. Not about an $8 an hour job that over takes your life. So yeah, I'm pi$$ed off that we are all expected to throw away our holiday with our family so that we can show up to work and deal with a bunch of rude, ungrateful, nasty people who b!tch and complain at us all freaking day. Not only are they forcing us to work, but they are also not paying any extra for the overnight shift, which is the norm. Not only is it a crappy day, that has now ruined a holiday for 100+ people at every store, but we were also required to hire 26 extra cashiers (just for our store) for that day and a ton of people to be on the salesfloor. Which means the normal team members, who already have too much work, now need to train an entire new staff which was unexpected for all of us.

I'll be ****** if any $8 an hour job (which I don't even make after 3 years there) will ever take a holiday away from my family. I flat out told them I would not be there until after noon on black Friday. I'm not even available to work on Fridays but according to my HR manager - our availability means absolutely nothing on Black Friday / Saturday. Real nice. Shows how little they care about us. Its out of control and I hope that the petition gets somewhere. Show Target exactly how their team members feel about their wonderful new policy.

No, its not part of working for a department store. As it was, we were only guaranteed 3 or 4 days off a year and now they are taking one of those away. Its ridiculous to expect your severely underpaid and overworked employees to be available all of the time. Its retail, we aren't doctors - there is a different expectation of availability. There is little we expect from our employer but having time with our family on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter was one of them and they should respect that time with our family. Clearly they do not.
You're absolutely right.. but to most people, all retail employees are are faceless drones. Including to the people they work for. If I were to ever go back to work and I was required to work holidays I'd rather BE a doctor or hell even a cab driver than work retail.

November 15th, 2011, 09:59 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
You're absolutely right.. but to most people, all retail employees are are faceless drones. Including to the people they work for. If I were to ever go back to work and I was required to work holidays I'd rather BE a doctor or hell even a cab driver than work retail.
Oh I know. Its amazing to me how incredibly rude people are. Adults are so freaking lazy when they are shopping. Unfold a shirt, hold it up on them, throw it down on the table. How about you refold it and set it back where it goes? Take something off a peg, realize you don't want it, throw it on a shelf. HANG IT BACK UP! Its infuriating to work retail where essentially everyone that shops there treats you like you are a piece of crap who doesn't deserve any respect. People who take a handful of stuff and shove it on a shelf, behind something else because they decide they don't want it anymore. Walk past an item, knock it on the floor, look at it and keep walking. OMG it amazing that people even work retail anymore.

The thing that has me angry is that we weren't expected to work the big 3 holidays and now we are. Next will be Easter and Christmas.
November 15th, 2011, 10:04 AM
The Truth is out There
What about Movie Theater employees? I worked there for awhile and worked both Thanksgiving and Christmas. And I worked all day- 11am- 7:30pm. Before that I had no idea how many people take their families to the movies on holidays. So for all of these employees to be upset, they aren't the only ones who have to work.
PLUS- When you apply for a job, they almost always ask if you're available to work weekends and holidays.

November 15th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does it suck? In a way, yes. But if you need $, I would think you would be appreciative to have a job and an opportunity to make a little extra. I've worked many holidays so its not a big deal to work a few hours on Thanksgiving imo.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
November 15th, 2011, 10:33 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, my DH works most holidays (corrections). We just have a holiday on another day. Not that big of deal to me. Thanksgiving does not HAVE to be on Thursday. You can do it on another day. I know that is the traditional day but you have to do what you have to do. 11 pm, Thanksgiving is usually over for the day anyways.

However, I will not indulge into the corporate greed on either Thursday or Friday that week. I do not believe in letting consumerism run my life.

That is not to say that retail employees should not be respected. I have worked my fair share of retail and black Fridays. It is definately disgusting how customers treat employees.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

November 15th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I get why the employees are upset, but really? Unless you work in an office or for the government, you're going to work on some holidays. My local grocery stores are all open until 6:00 pm on Thanksgiving. Are people petitioning and picketing Safeway? No, because that is what you sign on for when you take a job in the industry. As other people pointed out, many workers have to work on holidays, including Christmas - movie theater employees, cops, firefighters, hopsital staff, hotel staff (NOT just the doctors, the minimum wage food preparers have to work on Christmas too), utility workers (if there is an outage), gas station workers, convenience store workers, grocery store workers, toll booth operators, restaurant employees ALL have to work, and have for years. And they have to work a lot more than one hour on Thanksgiving, most of them work Christmas Eve and Day. I can't really blame target either, for providing what their customers want, especially when they are asking their employees to work ONE hour of their holiday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Baby View Post

That is not to say that retail employees should not be respected. I have worked my fair share of retail and black Fridays. It is definately disgusting how customers treat employees.
I think that is true of any customer service oriented field, not just retail. Doesn't make it ok, I'm just saying I think waiters and phone workers probably get treated the same or worse.
November 15th, 2011, 10:48 AM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
When I worked at a call center we had to work every flipping holiday, it sucks but you have to do it.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
November 15th, 2011, 10:53 AM
Oh, add military to my list of those who have to work holidays, many times from across the world from their families.
November 15th, 2011, 11:04 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
If it upset me that bad I would get on a job hunt...and preferably for a job that isn't in retail.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search