Co-Sleeping Ads

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 15th, 2011, 02:38 PM
foxfire_ga79
Milwaukee Runs Provocative Ads to Wake Parents Up to Dangers of Co-Sleeping - Yahoo! News

Personally, I think if you're going to put your baby in bed with a weapon, it should at least be a gun so that way you can turn on the safety so the baby won't kill you while you're sleeping.

Your thoughts?
November 15th, 2011, 02:53 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Just came over here to post this! I just posted my rant on facebook:
This absolutely angers me. To insinuate that co-sleeping is the cause of SIDS is ridiculously false information. If a child dies because of poor co-sleeping habits, then say that. Quit trying to scare people with false information! Co-sleeping, if done properly, is as safe (if not safer) than putting the baby in a crib /pack-n-play.

November 15th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My comment on that was, of course it's dangerous those kids are packing knives.

It's silly and fear mongering to push an agenda. Give people correct non drama filled facts and let them decide for themselves.

November 15th, 2011, 02:58 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
that ad made me laugh, because my first thought was - can a baby that young even LIFT that knife? i'm not sure it's as dangerous as they were hoping to convey...maybe they should have worked with something small & sharp like a scapel?

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
November 15th, 2011, 03:04 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oy. The stupidity keeps getting passed on. Co sleeping is not dangerous if you do it right.
November 15th, 2011, 05:06 PM
foxfire_ga79
Of course, I agree with all you ladies. I'm pissed at this fear mongering. Quit telling mothers not to be mothers! SIDS wasn't nicknamed "crib death" for nothing. Let's take a look at other factors. Were these other babies that died in their parents beds being breast fed? Lived with smokers perhaps? The conditions of the bed itself were not ideal for an infant?
AND the article says that SIDS is the number 2 reason for infant death in Milwakuee. They didn't meantion number 1, what the crap is it??

PS, by my comment about not letting mothers be mothers, I'm not implying that you have to co sleep to be a mother. I'm just so sick of the government telling mothers how to do our jobs. Sure, there are crappy moms out there. But for most of us, our instincts work just fine!
November 15th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
So stupid.

November 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
the story "isn't available right now" but I read it before leaving work today since someone posted it in my PR.

Anyways I was going to try to find a quote to make sure I got it right, but oh well.

The article says something about Milwaukee having a worse infant mortality rate than some 3rd world countries. I don't know if this is correct, but my assumption would be that cosleeping is probably pretty common in many third world countries? So then how is that statistic even relevant? If they use that correlation, than it should be better to sleep with your child.

November 15th, 2011, 05:52 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
I always co sleep on the cutting edge.
November 15th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Jennhowru's Avatar Doin Good. And You?
Makes me think of "Reefer Madness" for some strange reason...
November 15th, 2011, 09:19 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Things like that piss me off, they obviously have done NO research on co-sleeping.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
November 16th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Tell people not to co-sleep after drinking alcohol or taking cold medicines..... not make it seem that all co-sleeping is evil.

Scare tactics are for those that want to control, not help.
November 16th, 2011, 06:15 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This angers me becasue it is false information and I'm getting really sick and tired of the lying done to parents. We all deserve the truth, and this should be completely unacceptable. Co-sleeping is safe and great when done responsably. How about telling them how to do it right instead of using scare tactics?
November 16th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's milwaukee. I'm sure crack was involved somewhere in those deaths. Just like the twins who died in the tub not too long ago. Either that or being too poor to purchase a proper baby bed. Maybe not waste money on stupid ads, and make the moms, all cracked up or not, take classes to learn what is safe and what is not safe.
This fricken lady lost three kids from co-sleeping. Unsafe sleep practice suspected in baby death - JSOnline

November 16th, 2011, 10:14 AM
-erin-'s Avatar Co-Host of the May2010 PR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
It's milwaukee. I'm sure crack was involved somewhere in those deaths. Just like the twins who died in the tub not too long ago. Either that or being too poor to purchase a proper baby bed. Maybe not waste money on stupid ads, and make the moms, all cracked up or not, take classes to learn what is safe and what is not safe.
This fricken lady lost three kids from co-sleeping. Unsafe sleep practice suspected in baby death - JSOnline
I don't think she lost them solely due to "co-sleeping"... there were more factors going on there...

November 16th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
Those babies died because the mother was drunk, not because they were co-sleeping. It also seems that she may have slept with them on a couch, which is not co-sleeping.
November 16th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It appears that the couch was her bed.. so then it's co-sleeping by definition. You'd think after killing two of her kids she wouldn't be out boozing 6 days after giving birth.

November 16th, 2011, 10:27 AM
^ Right but advocates for co-sleeping do not consider a couch to be a bed no matter what. You'd hope a mother would be smarter, but as we know not all of them are.
November 16th, 2011, 10:34 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
^ Right but advocates for co-sleeping do not consider a couch to be a bed no matter what. You'd hope a mother would be smarter, but as we know not all of them are.
Exactly. Co sleeping in an unsafe environment (mother drunk, on a couch, etc) that results in death can no more be attributed to co-sleeping than a baby that suffocates on a bunch of bedding and stuffed animals in a crib can be attributed to the crib. No matter how you decide to put your baby to sleep, you need to be up to speed on how to do it safely.
November 17th, 2011, 06:08 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
I have to disagree with cosleeping as being absolutely safe. My cousin accidently rolled over on her daughter and killed her in her sleep while cosleeping. She was not drunk or on drugs. She was just plain exhausted from having a small child. She was also breastfeeding, and that is why she slept with her. As to accuse every mother who has a child that dies as a result of cosleeping as being drunk or on drugs is stupid in my opinion. Accidents happen. How would you feel if it happened to you and you were accused of being drunk and on drugs?

I personally do not agree with cosleeping for this reason, but I do not judge others who do cosleep. I would just not rather risk it. I do not agree with the ad and the way they made it look, but obviously there is a reason they had to make it.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search