"Eww! Gross!"

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2011, 10:58 AM
KimberlyD0
I am not a line cook. They eat what I make them, or they get nothing.

Exception being if it truly makes them sick. I also wont go out of my way to make foods they don't like. So if they pick the onions out of the food thats OK, but not liking onions isn't a good enough reason to not eat anything. Neither of the girls are big on tomato's so I don't serve them. I also ensure there is at least one thing they do like.

I don't mind making the same meal differently, like plain pasta for them and tomato for us, or plain meat rather then seasoned, but I will not make a whole new meal or substitute a meal with something else like a sandwich.
November 17th, 2011, 11:04 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
But why not substitute with a simple sandwich? There have been several occasions where lil guy didn't like what I made so we made him a simple pb&j instead. I don't like sending my kids to bed hungry. There would have to be something major going on for me to do that.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

November 17th, 2011, 11:12 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So if they don't like what you make then they go to bed hungry? That's not good and can create food problems later on in life.

I'm not a line cook either, but I am a mother. I'd never make my kids go hungry. Just because your kids don't like something doesn't mean you have to make a ton of other things (which is what a line cook would do). Just asking what they'd like if they don't like what you've given them is appropriate.
November 17th, 2011, 11:25 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
People that don't understand picky eaters are all the same. It's all about what is normal for them and not another person.

A sandwich is pretty much the standard alternative to a dinner my son doesn't like. Simple and fills him up. Plus, I don't have to see him be miserable over his dinner because I think he should like it.

November 17th, 2011, 12:10 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
People that don't understand picky eaters are all the same. It's all about what is normal for them and not another person.

A sandwich is pretty much the standard alternative to a dinner my son doesn't like. Simple and fills him up. Plus, I don't have to see him be miserable over his dinner because I think he should like it.
Exactly. I've had people give me "advice" on ds1. ds1 is a picky eater and people would tell me that if he refused his food then to not make him anything else. Um no, I don't think so. And I was getting this advice when he was 2 years old. No way am I going to make my 2 year old starve because he doesn't want to eat what I made (or even at 4 years or 12 years). A peanutbutter or almond butter sandwich on whole wheat bread with some apples and a yogurt is super healthy, something he likes. and takes 5 minutes to prepare.

ETA: Is also takes typically around 12 times for a child to like a new food. So if I give my kids something that they've never had before, or have had but it's a different recipe, etc then I don't expect them to love it and ask for more on the first try. I ask them to please to 1 bite and see if they like it. If they don't, but it's not making them gag or sick, then I keep offering it for awhile and ask them to take a bite. More times than not after awhile they'll eat it without asking. Like with goat cheese. It's still cheese and they love cheese, but a completely different taste. It took awhile for them to like it, and I'll be honest, it took awhile for me to get use to the taste too.

Last edited by HappyHippy; November 17th, 2011 at 12:12 PM.
November 17th, 2011, 12:15 PM
Undomesticated Housewife's Avatar Master(de)bater
Pretty much drives me insane when people are all, "I make my kids eat it or go to bed hungry!" I am capable of making something else if I don't like what is cooked. My kids aren't going to suffer just because they are too small to make themselves an alternative. Sandwiches are the usual alternative around here, too. If my husband made spaghetti and somehow enforced that I must eat it or go to bed, people would think I was crazy for putting up with that. Being an adult does not make me more entitled to having likes and dislikes.
November 17th, 2011, 01:27 PM
foxfire_ga79
Jeez, that's why I pretty much avoid the things I know ahead of time my kids won't eat. It's not worth the fuss.
November 17th, 2011, 01:38 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
As a mother, I don't understand how anybody is ok with sending their child to bed hungary. That is just plain sad.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

November 17th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I would never, ever, ever let my child go to bed hungry.

Statements like that just make me cringe. Maybe it's because dd2 at the age of 18 months got so sick it took until she was FIVE to be able to eat on her own again (that is, sans feeding tube). Or maybe it's just mommy gut, but...that's just cruel

My kids aren't real picky. I mean they do have things they don't like, everyone does I think at some point in their lives. But even when they couldn't make things for themselves, there was always an alternate. I didn't need to make an entirely new meal to satisfy whatever kiddo didn't like what was for dinner. Every meal has something everyone likes(most have only things that everyone likes). I also don't make them clean their plates to get seconds of something they really like. I see no point in doing that.
Dd2 absolutely loves rice, of any sort (I blame myself for this one, it's one of her first solid foods she ate on her own around 5-ish, and she got hooked, it was something I could guarantee she'd eat no matter what I did to it, and wouldn't get sick). So if she doesn't like whatever meat or whatever on her plate but ate all her rice, she's free to go get more rice. I do ask that they at least taste test things, but I wouldn't require more than that of them.
November 17th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Jace fell asleep last night at 6pm and had no dinner, and I felt so bad that I made him a bangin' breakfast this morning. I would never send my kid to bed hungry out of spite, though. And I will never make him eat all the food on his plate, either. I've went to bed hungry before, and it sucks. But the scale is awesome in the morning, lol!
November 17th, 2011, 08:56 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
My kids have never complained. They tell me they aren't hungry if they don't like the dinner. If given the choice they'd eat a sandwich every night instead of what we make, so we don't give them that choice. I ensure there is at least one side they'll eat. They aren't going to starve if they don't eat dinner.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
November 18th, 2011, 12:59 AM
It sucks to not like the food that everyone else does...or that your family does. It feels like a punishment to have to go without dinner because you don't like the taste of something.

It was never about manipulating anything for me so I'm a little more sensitive when my son doesn't like our dinner. I don't want to make him feel like it's his fault and he can go hungry. But as long as he is satisfied with some of his food, a side or whatever, then it's all good. Or he can just have the sandwich if I didn't prepare enough things he likes to fill him up.

These picky eating debates bring back some childhood trauma for me!! lol It's close to my heart, I guess.

November 18th, 2011, 05:10 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
Exception being if it truly makes them sick. I also wont go out of my way to make foods they don't like. So if they pick the onions out of the food thats OK, but not liking onions isn't a good enough reason to not eat anything.

Just a thought -- I've never really been a picky eater, but I couldn't eat a piece of onion or anything that had been flavored with onion until I was an adult. My mom still can't. As in if she orders a hamburger and it comes with onions and she scrapes them off, she can't even choke it down after the onions have been removed. So I definitely think not liking onions is a good enough reason not to eat something. They have a really strong flavor, even if you're not eating the actual onion. And if you're sensitive to the flavor, you'll taste it even if the onion bits have been removed.
November 18th, 2011, 05:38 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Haha, Jayde doesn't like onions if she can see them in the food Stuff like that I make them try a few bites. Another example is Noah the other morning. He is 10, and suddenly decided he wasn't going to eat the crust on his toast for breakfast. I made him finish the whole thing before he asked for more. Of course this had to do with fairness too, #1 because I can't afford to have 30000 loaves of bread that they are going to waste by just eating the middle of it, #2 he was feeding his crust to Sebastian just because he knew he'd eat it (breads is the one thing you can count on the baby to eat). At 10 years old he's decided he's going to be picky about foods he's eaten for years. That wont fly with me, so he inspired me to sign up for volunteering him (with us of course) to do things for people who have no food. We've got 16 hours of bell ringing, and the salvation army brat fry signed up. I'd like to find a soup kitchen or something to volunteer him at as well. People eat crust there!

November 18th, 2011, 06:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
Just a thought -- I've never really been a picky eater, but I couldn't eat a piece of onion or anything that had been flavored with onion until I was an adult. My mom still can't. As in if she orders a hamburger and it comes with onions and she scrapes them off, she can't even choke it down after the onions have been removed. So I definitely think not liking onions is a good enough reason not to eat something. They have a really strong flavor, even if you're not eating the actual onion. And if you're sensitive to the flavor, you'll taste it even if the onion bits have been removed.
I'm like your mom. Exactly.

November 18th, 2011, 07:51 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
Haha, Jayde doesn't like onions if she can see them in the food Stuff like that I make them try a few bites. Another example is Noah the other morning. He is 10, and suddenly decided he wasn't going to eat the crust on his toast for breakfast. I made him finish the whole thing before he asked for more. Of course this had to do with fairness too, #1 because I can't afford to have 30000 loaves of bread that they are going to waste by just eating the middle of it, #2 he was feeding his crust to Sebastian just because he knew he'd eat it (breads is the one thing you can count on the baby to eat). At 10 years old he's decided he's going to be picky about foods he's eaten for years. That wont fly with me, so he inspired me to sign up for volunteering him (with us of course) to do things for people who have no food. We've got 16 hours of bell ringing, and the salvation army brat fry signed up. I'd like to find a soup kitchen or something to volunteer him at as well. People eat crust there!
DSD is like that. She's been eating things for years then all of a sudden she doesn't like them. That's when I put my foot down on you eat what you've been given or you eat nothing. But again, she's a teen who isn't going to be damaged by not eating a meal at the moment. If she's hungry, she's big enough to make herself a meal.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

November 18th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
It sucks to not like the food that everyone else does...or that your family does. It feels like a punishment to have to go without dinner because you don't like the taste of something.

It was never about manipulating anything for me so I'm a little more sensitive when my son doesn't like our dinner. I don't want to make him feel like it's his fault and he can go hungry. But as long as he is satisfied with some of his food, a side or whatever, then it's all good. Or he can just have the sandwich if I didn't prepare enough things he likes to fill him up.

These picky eating debates bring back some childhood trauma for me!! lol It's close to my heart, I guess.
Same here. If I had been a kid today, I probably would be diagnosed with sensory issues. I can't stand the texture of many things like mushrooms and I absolutely get grossed out when I'm eating something soft like pasta & then hit a cruncy piece of onion. I'm ok with onion power so it isn't a taste issue, I just can't deal with the texture. Drinking milk makes me gag because of the texture. I'm 46 & have never outgrown this.

I'm so glad that my mother got this & worked around it. So I do the same for my kids. My dd is very, very skinny - 9 years old & 55lbs. So there's no way she could ever miss a meal.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
November 18th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Leogirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I plan on raising my daughter the same way I was raised. If you don't eat what's put in frount of you then you do not eat.

My reasoning behind this is I'll pretty much eat anything. I can pretty much only name about 3 foods I do not like but that dosen't stop me from trying them. I'm open to trying new resturants/foods and I find I like most of them. My DH on the other hand was catered to and is an extremely picky eater. It's easier to name off what he will eat vs. what he won't eat. The result is also a fairly unhealthy diet because he will not eat any veggies other than green beans,plain mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli. The only fruit he'll eat is Granny Smith apples. His diet is mostly meat and bread. He will not try anything else.

The fact of the matter is it's not a matter of taste but a matter of what he thinks. I make pork chops in cream of mushroom soup. I tell him it's pan gravy. He'll eat and enjoy every bite of it..will lick the plate clean. If he knew there was cream of mushroom soup in them he would never eat them again because he "dosen't like it".

You HAVE to try something before you know you don't like it. Plus taste buds change as you get older. I've found most picky eaters are that way not because they don't like something but because they won't try anything.

November 18th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Picky eating doesn't always mean that someone is catered to and that's the reason. Textures and taste are real issues to a lot of people.

I'm so glad my mother raised me as an individual and not a clone of herself. Even if that wasn't always convenient for her.

November 18th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto Jillian. I cannot eat mushrooms, the texture grosses me out. There are serveral foos that I won't eat due to their texture.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search