"Eww! Gross!"

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 18th, 2011, 12:17 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Baby View Post
Ditto Jillian. I cannot eat mushrooms, the texture grosses me out. There are serveral foos that I won't eat due to their texture.
What exactly is the texture of foo? j/k, it just made me giggle.

I am thankful RJ got over his texture issues. When he was small he could pick out a crushed up cheerio from a bowl of baby cereal and would barf because of it. He's not too picky now, just eats very small portions of everything. Like I said before there are some circumstances where you eat what you are given here. Very obviously Leogirl's husband's issues aren't due to texture.

November 18th, 2011, 12:18 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leogirl View Post
I plan on raising my daughter the same way I was raised. If you don't eat what's put in frount of you then you do not eat.

My reasoning behind this is I'll pretty much eat anything. I can pretty much only name about 3 foods I do not like but that dosen't stop me from trying them. I'm open to trying new resturants/foods and I find I like most of them. My DH on the other hand was catered to and is an extremely picky eater. It's easier to name off what he will eat vs. what he won't eat. The result is also a fairly unhealthy diet because he will not eat any veggies other than green beans,plain mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli. The only fruit he'll eat is Granny Smith apples. His diet is mostly meat and bread. He will not try anything else.

The fact of the matter is it's not a matter of taste but a matter of what he thinks. I make pork chops in cream of mushroom soup. I tell him it's pan gravy. He'll eat and enjoy every bite of it..will lick the plate clean. If he knew there was cream of mushroom soup in them he would never eat them again because he "dosen't like it".

You HAVE to try something before you know you don't like it. Plus taste buds change as you get older. I've found most picky eaters are that way not because they don't like something but because they won't try anything.

Which came first, though, the pickiness or the catering? I'm guessing it was the pickiness, especially since his pickiness has carried into adulthood.
November 18th, 2011, 12:27 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The onion touching food thing - I'm like that with pineapple. I can't eat anything that pineapple touched because it leaves behind the juice and the flavour. I hate the texture of mushrooms! Ewwww. But I don't mind the flavour, so mince them for spaghetti sauce.

Although I do make sure my kid will have enough food that she likes for dinner, what I won't do (usually) is reheat it. This is because she claims to be done eating so that she can go play. Then she cries about being hungry when we say it's time to go to bed. So, she can finish her dinner at whatever temperature it's at while being reminded that if she wanted it warm she should have finished eating before she went to play. I've found this is actually less stressful on everyone than trying to make her sit and eat everything before letting her up to play and teaches her some consequence of choices. It won't hurt her to eat it cold (I don't let it sit out so long that it would spoil).

November 18th, 2011, 01:00 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Butternut squash will sully any plate of food for me. The smell alone I find nasty and give my kids leeway that there may be a food or two that they just don't like.

November 18th, 2011, 02:44 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leogirl View Post
I plan on raising my daughter the same way I was raised. If you don't eat what's put in frount of you then you do not eat.

My reasoning behind this is I'll pretty much eat anything. I can pretty much only name about 3 foods I do not like but that dosen't stop me from trying them. I'm open to trying new resturants/foods and I find I like most of them. My DH on the other hand was catered to and is an extremely picky eater. It's easier to name off what he will eat vs. what he won't eat. The result is also a fairly unhealthy diet because he will not eat any veggies other than green beans,plain mashed potatoes, and steamed broccoli. The only fruit he'll eat is Granny Smith apples. His diet is mostly meat and bread. He will not try anything else.

The fact of the matter is it's not a matter of taste but a matter of what he thinks. I make pork chops in cream of mushroom soup. I tell him it's pan gravy. He'll eat and enjoy every bite of it..will lick the plate clean. If he knew there was cream of mushroom soup in them he would never eat them again because he "dosen't like it".

You HAVE to try something before you know you don't like it. Plus taste buds change as you get older. I've found most picky eaters are that way not because they don't like something but because they won't try anything.
Your daughter may not have your adventure for food, and really, there doesn't seem to be that many people who like to try anything and everything. I am a person like you. I love to try new foods. But my DH and my ds1 doesn't. Why? Because they both have a form of ADD, and picky eating is part of that. They do not like certain textures, smells or looks. They have sensory issues with food. Should I make them starve because they don't want to try new foods? I see your daughter is a infant, I think it's pretty silly to decide if your daughter should have to eat whatever you make them at such an early age. You have no idea how food will effect her at this point. Many people who are picky eaters, kids and adults a like, have disorders. And many are arguing that picky eating is a eating disorder No Age Limit on Picky Eating - WSJ.com
Picky Eaters, Toddlers and Kids with Autism Signs
November 18th, 2011, 07:22 PM
Tofu Bacon's Avatar Enigma... or oxymoron?
My policy is pretty simple: everyone gets their night each week to pick what we have for dinner, and whoever doesn't like it is free to fix something else for themselves. I'm fair about it; on my nights (I have James' proxy ) I do not cook meat, but I will cook it on one of their nights of they request it. My husband is the only picky eater, but he's come to the point where he accepts that the family's meals cannot revolve around one person, especially when That Person isn't doing the cooking.
November 18th, 2011, 08:55 PM
KimberlyD0
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
But why not substitute with a simple sandwich? There have been several occasions where lil guy didn't like what I made so we made him a simple pb&j instead. I don't like sending my kids to bed hungry. There would have to be something major going on for me to do that.
Because its my choice not to make them a sandwich when I have made them a perfectly good meal to eat. Thats just giving in and sets my kids up for failure. If they know I'm just going to make them something else anyway then why should they bother trying it in the first place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
So if they don't like what you make then they go to bed hungry? That's not good and can create food problems later on in life.

I'm not a line cook either, but I am a mother. I'd never make my kids go hungry. Just because your kids don't like something doesn't mean you have to make a ton of other things (which is what a line cook would do). Just asking what they'd like if they don't like what you've given them is appropriate.
My kids don't go to bed hungry. I do always make sure there is at least one food I know they will eat. If they don't eat at dinner and then complain of being hungry they are given the same thing they had at dinner that they didn't eat (in the case of them eating nothing, if they at least tried everything I will give them more of their preferred food) Funny how they seem to catch on right quick and eat when its offered again.

However going to bed without dinner is not going to hurt a child. Its not like they're going to starve from one missed meal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
Just a thought -- I've never really been a picky eater, but I couldn't eat a piece of onion or anything that had been flavored with onion until I was an adult. My mom still can't. As in if she orders a hamburger and it comes with onions and she scrapes them off, she can't even choke it down after the onions have been removed. So I definitely think not liking onions is a good enough reason not to eat something. They have a really strong flavor, even if you're not eating the actual onion. And if you're sensitive to the flavor, you'll taste it even if the onion bits have been removed.
Its not a good enough reason in my house.

My kids are not 6 and 3 and by far the least picky kids I know. Everyone is always so amazed by what my children will eat. There are only 3 things they don't like. Onions, mushrooms, and tomato's so I don't mind avoiding those foods for their sake, but in the case of it being mixed in they simply pick those foods out. No big deal there. They are also not big on sweets (cake's, cookies, and stuff) but I'm not too worried about that

Both went through a faze where they tried to be picky, but I wouldn't cave. There's no fight or battle. I've never had to fight my kids. They know the rules and expectations, and what will happen if they don't follow them. I wont set them up for failure.

I do think giving in and making them a new meal (even a sandwich) is counter productive and just reinforces a the child's pickyness. Like I said, why bother eating whats offered when they can just get a sandwich after.
November 18th, 2011, 09:16 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I'm not picky because my mother gave into me. Believe me. I wish it was something that was so simple and one sided.

Kimberly, be glad your children have very little issues with food. It isn't because of you. Trust me. They are just lucky enough not to be phased by textures, different tastes and even smells. That's something I could never help. No matter how guilty people made me feel about it.

November 18th, 2011, 09:51 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
I think saying it's giving in and setting them up for failure is going a tad bit overbored. There's a difference between a truly picky child and a good eater giving you a hard time over eating every once in a while. I can see not making an alternative to the good eater but for a truly picky eater? It seems cruel to tell them this or nothing on a regular basis.

November 19th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
How does not liking something (even if that dislike is temporary) a failure? Further more, how in crepe's name does that even remotely indicate a potential future failure in a person's life.
I can just see the issues that sort of thinking can cause later in life,(note I said can, not will). Even issues unrelated to food. I guess I'm the failure here, because I am failing to comprehend how the two (them not doing something you want them to, and "setting them up for failure") even correlate.

I absolutely love certain foods, but that doesn't mean every single time I am given them, I'm going to eat them. It's not because my mother set me up for failure(good god that makes absolutely no **** sense, did that really make sense in your head when you typed it out, or read it after?) as a child by not making me eat those things every.single.time she served them.

Yeah color me with the *** crayon on this one. I just don't get it.
November 19th, 2011, 05:24 AM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
Because its my choice not to make them a sandwich when I have made them a perfectly good meal to eat. Thats just giving in and sets my kids up for failure. If they know I'm just going to make them something else anyway then why should they bother trying it in the first place?

My kids don't go to bed hungry. I do always make sure there is at least one food I know they will eat. If they don't eat at dinner and then complain of being hungry they are given the same thing they had at dinner that they didn't eat (in the case of them eating nothing, if they at least tried everything I will give them more of their preferred food) Funny how they seem to catch on right quick and eat when its offered again.

However going to bed without dinner is not going to hurt a child. Its not like they're going to starve from one missed meal.

Its not a good enough reason in my house.

My kids are not 6 and 3 and by far the least picky kids I know. Everyone is always so amazed by what my children will eat. There are only 3 things they don't like. Onions, mushrooms, and tomato's so I don't mind avoiding those foods for their sake, but in the case of it being mixed in they simply pick those foods out. No big deal there. They are also not big on sweets (cake's, cookies, and stuff) but I'm not too worried about that

Both went through a faze where they tried to be picky, but I wouldn't cave. There's no fight or battle. I've never had to fight my kids. They know the rules and expectations, and what will happen if they don't follow them. I wont set them up for failure.

I do think giving in and making them a new meal (even a sandwich) is counter productive and just reinforces a the child's pickyness. Like I said, why bother eating whats offered when they can just get a sandwich after.

What if your oldest girl had a friend over that didn't like the food you made... Would you make a sammich for her or send her away hungry?
November 19th, 2011, 06:21 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
WOW failure really? I can't even comment on that one. I'm to busy cracking up.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

November 19th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Seriously? Is she just messing with us now?

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

November 19th, 2011, 07:15 AM
Are you Fing kidding me?

"My kids tried to be picky, but I didn't cave" Really? Most kids go through a picky phase for so many Fing reasons. And those kids who are picky are not picky because their moms cave, they are picky due to disabilities, sensativities, problems, complications, and so on. It has NOTHING to do with YOU (or the mom/dad). It has NOTHING to do with caving.

Congrats that your kids like most foods, many kids are like that. Your kids are not the only ones and I can name many kids who will eat anything and everything, even super uncommon foods (ever seen a 4 year old eat hagis (sp)? I have). It has nothing to do with not caving, or pushing their kids to eat the food. It has to do with the kid. Don't kid yourself that your style of making your kids eat only what you offered them no matter what is what is creating non-picky eating. I gave links to why some people are picky eaters, and there are even more out there why some kids are and some aren't. I'm sure you won't bother to look at them though. My 1 year old will eat anything, and I offer the same foods to my entire family as well as having the same attitude about it. Yet I still have a picky DH and ds1 and a non-picky ds2.

Seriously, your posts amaze me, and make me sad.
November 19th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Oh, and studies show that kids going to bed hungry, even once in awhile, can create bad eating habits. Kids who feel like if they don't like a food may start to hide other foods in their bedroom. There are also other bad habits they may start to do. Being able to not like a food is important, even for kids. You need to give your kids a chance to not like something. Food preferances can also change through the years. I use to love certain foods that I now can't stand. I use to hate certain foods that I now love.
November 19th, 2011, 08:00 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My preferences have changed over the years and I was made to eat food I didn't like. To this day I still can't stand the smell of some foods because of the memory attached to it. If my kid doesn't want to eat something, I wouldn't force them to eat it.
November 19th, 2011, 08:27 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
Are you Fing kidding me?

"My kids tried to be picky, but I didn't cave" Really? Most kids go through a picky phase for so many Fing reasons. And those kids who are picky are not picky because their moms cave, they are picky due to disabilities, sensativities, problems, complications, and so on. It has NOTHING to do with YOU (or the mom/dad). It has NOTHING to do with caving.

Congrats that your kids like most foods, many kids are like that. Your kids are not the only ones and I can name many kids who will eat anything and everything, even super uncommon foods (ever seen a 4 year old eat hagis (sp)? I have). It has nothing to do with not caving, or pushing their kids to eat the food. It has to do with the kid. Don't kid yourself that your style of making your kids eat only what you offered them no matter what is what is creating non-picky eating. I gave links to why some people are picky eaters, and there are even more out there why some kids are and some aren't. I'm sure you won't bother to look at them though. My 1 year old will eat anything, and I offer the same foods to my entire family as well as having the same attitude about it. Yet I still have a picky DH and ds1 and a non-picky ds2.

Seriously, your posts amaze me, and make me sad.
When Jenn whips out the "F'ing)" you know this is serious!

People consider me a picky eater. The girls are pretty good about trying most things I put in front of them, but honestly, it's not a lot of variety because I don't typically fix things that people would consider "outside of the box" in terms of strange or different foods.
My DSS on the other hand, will NEVER eat anything I put in front of him. I believe the same things that he'll eat at other places. He'd prefer to have subway and I'm convinced that this is why he refuses what I serve, because DH always gives in. I'm talking tons of simple things like chili, spaghetti, hamburger and fries, chicken and noodles, vegetable soup, etc. The list could go on and on. It's gotten to the point where DH will stop and get him a Subway sandwich after he picks him up on Saturday's, before the rest of them have dinner. This is a weekly problem, and one that has yet to get a resolution.

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 September 30th, 2014

November 19th, 2011, 08:37 AM
November 19th, 2011, 02:12 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
When Jenn whips out the "F'ing)" you know this is serious!

People consider me a picky eater. The girls are pretty good about trying most things I put in front of them, but honestly, it's not a lot of variety because I don't typically fix things that people would consider "outside of the box" in terms of strange or different foods.
My DSS on the other hand, will NEVER eat anything I put in front of him. I believe the same things that he'll eat at other places. He'd prefer to have subway and I'm convinced that this is why he refuses what I serve, because DH always gives in. I'm talking tons of simple things like chili, spaghetti, hamburger and fries, chicken and noodles, vegetable soup, etc. The list could go on and on. It's gotten to the point where DH will stop and get him a Subway sandwich after he picks him up on Saturday's, before the rest of them have dinner. This is a weekly problem, and one that has yet to get a resolution.
My DS refuses to eat pretty much anything when he's with me. At daycare, though, he eats absolutely anything and everything put in front of him. For awhile, it drove me batty, but I'm starting to get to a point where I'm accepting it. I may not know the reason he does it, but he does. I always offer him a variety of food I know he enjoys. If he eats something, great, if not, I'll offer again in a little bit. Some days, he goes to bed having had basically nothing for dinner. On these nights, I at least offer him cheese slices or a cheese stick (the one thing he always eats, unless he's not feeling well or just not hungry). If he refuses that, I know he's not going to eat anything, and he goes to bed. It took a lot for me to be okay with this, though, but I talked to some other mommies I trust, and I really believe that FORCING him to eat when he doesn't want to (even if it's a day or two without eating much) can be really bad in the long run, just like not feeding him enough, or forcing him to eat food he hates.

November 19th, 2011, 06:10 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
You girls are making me feel a lot better about my life, seriously. I've got three fussy eaters out of the three of us, and all of us have some varying form of sensory issue with food (DH's being the worst). DH WILL try what I ask him to to an extent. He's tried cooked broccoli and got sick. He's tried cooked carrots twice and just can't handle the texture. He gets his raw on his plate with salad dressing. I don't press the issue because if he told me i had to eat tapioca pudding before I could have real food I'd stop eating altogether as I'd never get it down due to texture.

Kimblery, if you tried that with my family, you'd clean up vomit with every meal. If you had children with sensory disorders you'd really hum a whole new tune about food. I'm glad your girls have no problems with food. But if they were to have a negative experience with food (say a choking incident or eating spoiled food that made them ill) you might find yourself in a whole other situation where they just cannot put those foods in their mouth and chew or swallow it.
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum

Me: Hashi's, PCOS, Insulin resistant, Multiple miscarriages
175mcg Synthyroid, 1500mg Metformin
Colposcopy = CIN1+CIN2 cells Polypectomy - August 21st
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015. Vitamins started August 2nd
Trying a few cycles of clomid and progesterone. FX this is all it takes.
Cycle 1: Clomid cd3-7 ~ bfn
Cycle 2: Clomid cd 3-7

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search