"Eww! Gross!"

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2011, 07:32 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeToTheMax View Post
My DS refuses to eat pretty much anything when he's with me. At daycare, though, he eats absolutely anything and everything put in front of him. For awhile, it drove me batty, but I'm starting to get to a point where I'm accepting it. I may not know the reason he does it, but he does. I always offer him a variety of food I know he enjoys. If he eats something, great, if not, I'll offer again in a little bit. Some days, he goes to bed having had basically nothing for dinner. On these nights, I at least offer him cheese slices or a cheese stick (the one thing he always eats, unless he's not feeling well or just not hungry). If he refuses that, I know he's not going to eat anything, and he goes to bed. It took a lot for me to be okay with this, though, but I talked to some other mommies I trust, and I really believe that FORCING him to eat when he doesn't want to (even if it's a day or two without eating much) can be really bad in the long run, just like not feeding him enough, or forcing him to eat food he hates.
How old is he? He looks pretty young still. My 19 month old didn't really solids until 14 months, and then went off and on. But he still nurses, so if it's a day or two without solid food that's fine, it happens. Now though he eats pretty much anything. I think most kids will go through a phase where they may not want any solid food, but take a lot of breastmilk, cow's milk or forumla. Or go through a phase where they only want 1 or 2 foods. ds1 went through a PBJ phase where that was all he'd eat for a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ View Post
You girls are making me feel a lot better about my life, seriously. I've got three fussy eaters out of the three of us, and all of us have some varying form of sensory issue with food (DH's being the worst). DH WILL try what I ask him to to an extent. He's tried cooked broccoli and got sick. He's tried cooked carrots twice and just can't handle the texture. He gets his raw on his plate with salad dressing. I don't press the issue because if he told me i had to eat tapioca pudding before I could have real food I'd stop eating altogether as I'd never get it down due to texture.

Kimblery, if you tried that with my family, you'd clean up vomit with every meal. If you had children with sensory disorders you'd really hum a whole new tune about food. I'm glad your girls have no problems with food. But if they were to have a negative experience with food (say a choking incident or eating spoiled food that made them ill) you might find yourself in a whole other situation where they just cannot put those foods in their mouth and chew or swallow it.
My DH is the same way with tapioca. He's like that with any pudding, yogurt, jello type food. He just can't eat it. And then myself and both boys are huge yogurt fans. He doesn't even like to be in the same room when we eat ours because of the smell.
November 20th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Super Mommy
Knock on wood, so far CJ will eat just about anything. However, if he was picky I'd also offer an alternative until he was old enough to make something himself.

I can see this causing issues between DH and I though. He says that a child not eating something I make means they don't respect me *rolls eyes.* He is not picky at all, but I have extreme issues with food that have been there as long as I can remember. There are things I simply cannot eat (I have a very hard time with the texture of fish, oranges, and many others). I wouldn't force a child of mine to go through that. I don't think it's disrespectful for them not to eat something that would make them physically ill or cause mental duress.

November 20th, 2011, 12:17 PM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Wow. I just started going through this thread again and all I can say is just wow. Let's start cussing each other over another's parenting habits. I think some of you take these things too far. If you read Kim's whole post, you would see that she does always offer a side her children want.

I love a good debate, but a lot of things I am reading is making me reconsider posting here anymore. I understand people feel strongly about things. I do too some times, but I never took to questioning anyone's parenting or cussing them out.

Then again, maybe y'all know each other better.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
November 20th, 2011, 12:28 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
We've been posting together for years.

November 20th, 2011, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
We've been posting together for years.
I've been on JM for years too, but I just recently discovered these forums. Then call me the odd man out because my mouth just drops at some of these comments. Then again, meh. If y'all are ok with it, I'll stick to my other places.

November 20th, 2011, 12:35 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
How old is he? He looks pretty young still. My 19 month old didn't really solids until 14 months, and then went off and on. But he still nurses, so if it's a day or two without solid food that's fine, it happens. Now though he eats pretty much anything. I think most kids will go through a phase where they may not want any solid food, but take a lot of breastmilk, cow's milk or forumla. Or go through a phase where they only want 1 or 2 foods. ds1 went through a PBJ phase where that was all he'd eat for a month.
He's 14 months, but he self weaned the week before his first birthday. He'd always been a fantastic eater until maybe a month ago? I guess that's why I'm not worried too much. He drinks a lot, so he's hydrated, and he will eat (like I said, he eats great at daycare). Whatever it is about being with me (anywhere, not just at home), he doesn't want to eat.

November 20th, 2011, 12:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindseyE117 View Post
I've been on JM for years too, but I just recently discovered these forums. Then call me the odd man out because my mouth just drops at some of these comments. Then again, meh. If y'all are ok with it, I'll stick to my other places.
Not just posting on JM for years, we have posted together on this board for years. You don't have to post here if it offends you. This isn't a support board and we don't have to act like it here.

This is one of the most mild debate boards I've ever seen too. Plus, like I said, we KNOW each other.

November 20th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Not being a support board doesn't give you the right to act cruel and disrespectful towards others. Your right. I do not have to post here.

November 20th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Not being a support board doesn't give you the right to act cruel and disrespectful towards others. Your right. I do not have to post here.
Because we disagree we are disrespectful? We absolutely have the right to say that we think someone is wrong, being ignorant, being close minded, being selfish or any other thing we want to. And the other parties have the right to hit the report button if they are offended.

And in a debate about parenting you are supposed to disagree with how other people parent if you think it's wrong. IT'S A DEBATE. It isn't a conversation where we all state our opinions (big misconception by some people here).

November 20th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
Because we disagree we are disrespectful? We absolutely have the right to say that we think someone is wrong, being ignorant, being close minded, being selfish or any other thing we want to. And the other parties have the right to hit the report button if they are offended.

And in a debate about parenting you are supposed to disagree with how other people parent if you think it's wrong. IT'S A DEBATE. It isn't a conversation where we all state our opinions (big misconception by some people here).
You're right. This is a debate. We have the right not to agree with other's viewpoints or attitudes towards something. So excuse me for not agreeing with some of the posts. After all, IT'S A DEBATE.

November 20th, 2011, 01:02 PM
Yeah. That's right. Not exactly sure what in the world you are talking about anyway.

November 20th, 2011, 01:25 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well I said Fing, I guess that's a cuss word. If someone is going to make assumptions that us mother's who have picky eaters are just caving in and that's why our kids are picky eaters, I'm going to start saying Fing. The only time I start to get upset like I did at Kimberly is when there is actual research and evidence, and someone completely ignores it and then blames it on the parent.
November 20th, 2011, 03:00 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Umm perhaps you have never read any of the real debates on here. I suggest looking at an old shopping cart debate to see us in our full on Lord of the Flies mode.

Quote:
Wow. I just started going through this thread again and all I can say is just wow. Let's start cussing each other over another's parenting habits. I think some of you take these things too far. If you read Kim's whole post, you would see that she does always offer a side her children want.

I love a good debate, but a lot of things I am reading is making me reconsider posting here anymore. I understand people feel strongly about things. I do too some times, but I never took to questioning anyone's parenting or cussing them out.

Then again, maybe y'all know each other better.

Quote:
Yours was the greatest Fing I've seen on here in a while. Took me by surprise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
Well I said Fing, I guess that's a cuss word. If someone is going to make assumptions that us mother's who have picky eaters are just caving in and that's why our kids are picky eaters, I'm going to start saying Fing. The only time I start to get upset like I did at Kimberly is when there is actual research and evidence, and someone completely ignores it and then blames it on the parent.

November 20th, 2011, 03:10 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
@ Lord of the Flies mode

November 20th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Quote:
You're really weird.
November 20th, 2011, 04:06 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
YOUR A BUNCH OF MEANIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I swear I am waiting for the Lash's Lemmings comment)

Fing is not cussing.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

November 20th, 2011, 04:25 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
where's the **** siren when you need one?

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

November 20th, 2011, 04:35 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
You people must be typing in invisible ink again.

I may be legally blind but I'm not totally blind, yet, and I can't find the cussing, or disrespect.

Kimberley, pardon if I spelled that wrong, is a big girl, it seems to me she can take it right alongside the best of them. Actually, most people here can. I don't even think this conversation was much of a debate to be honest. Give the ladies here time, they'll show you a proper debate, heated and all...You might even get to see some real butthurt. It's quite an informative, yet interesting bunch of folks who post here. I read here for months before I ever posted. Gotta build up that thick skin before you jump in the ring with the big dogs

(I'm still a pup, hence why I avoid the real heated topics, my skin is only medium thick)
November 20th, 2011, 07:11 PM
KimberlyD0
I think you guys are misunderstanding me. I did clearly say that I always make sure there is at least one thing at every meal that they will eat.

I also said that one of the exceptions to the eat what I give you rule would be if it makes them sick.

I have not now nor would I ever make my child eat a food I know makes them sick. If they've tried a food and it makes them sick then I don't serve that food anymore. My not adding any spices to DD#1's food is an example of that. While I expect her to eat chicken, I wont put salt and pepper on it because it makes her sick. So I make hers plain.

Its one thing to adjust their food in the meal I make and a whole other issue to make an entire new meal. Even a sandwich. That to me is just not something I am willing to do, not to mention I don't have time too LOL

So no I wouldn't force my child to eat something that makes them ill in anyway. Yes I DO understand sensory issues (Karrigan and I both have them) but I do work around them and still expect both my children to eat what I provide them.

When there is a new food involved I do expect them to try it, but if they do and don't like it thats ok. As long as they try it. If I have made them a meal where there is 1 or more thing that they do like, and they would normally eat I expect them to eat it and will enforce it by giving them the same food they refused to eat if they decide they're hungry after not eating their dinner. I don't reward them by making them something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
You people must be typing in invisible ink again.

I may be legally blind but I'm not totally blind, yet, and I can't find the cussing, or disrespect.

Kimberley, pardon if I spelled that wrong, is a big girl, it seems to me she can take it right alongside the best of them. Actually, most people here can. I don't even think this conversation was much of a debate to be honest. Give the ladies here time, they'll show you a proper debate, heated and all...You might even get to see some real butthurt. It's quite an informative, yet interesting bunch of folks who post here. I read here for months before I ever posted. Gotta build up that thick skin before you jump in the ring with the big dogs

(I'm still a pup, hence why I avoid the real heated topics, my skin is only medium thick)
Its Kimberly.. no "e" before the Y

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search