"Eww! Gross!"

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 16th, 2011, 06:05 PM
Super Mommy
If/when your child doesn't want what you have cooked for dinner, how do you handle it?

Too bad, so sad. Guess you can eat at breakfast.
Alternate meal
Bribery
Other
November 16th, 2011, 06:09 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I make him taste and judge his reaction. If he gags I make him something else. If he says it is good, but he doesn't want it, I make him eat some of it.

If I make him things I know he usually eats, then he can eat that or go to bed hungry. But I never make someone eat something that makes them sick or they are disgusted by. That's an arrogant way to treat another person. We all have different tastes. Fact.

November 16th, 2011, 06:30 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
I make him taste and judge his reaction. If he gags I make him something else. If he says it is good, but he doesn't want it, I make him eat some of it.

If I make him things I know he usually eats, then he can eat that or go to bed hungry. But I never make someone eat something that makes them sick or they are disgusted by. That's an arrogant way to treat another person. We all have different tastes. Fact.
THE END. Forreal.

November 16th, 2011, 06:31 PM
foxfire_ga79
I can usually convince my kids to try something new, and if they honestly don't like it they won't be forced to eat it. I know when they don't like something and when they're being stubborn little turds. Sometimes it's something simple, like my daughter doesn't like spaghetti sauce so on sphagetti nights her noodles are topped with butter, garlic, and basil. If 2 or more people dislike something, I just plain won't bother fixing it.
The general rule is, if someone is being pissy about what I've cooked then they can go fix (and clean up after) their own. I'm not a short order chef. I fix a family meal.
November 16th, 2011, 06:51 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Quote:

This!!! I was a picky eater as a child...honestly still can be with certain things, but I do want her to try it, but if she doesn't like it we don't force it.

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
November 16th, 2011, 07:01 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Team Jillian

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

November 16th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Put me on team Jillian too.

I'm fairly lucky that the girls eat very well and generally will eat what they have in front of them. Sophia hit my calamari at lunch today like there were diamonds at the bottom. If they don't it's usually for good reason such as they don't like it or aren't really hungry. I'll make them something simple as an alternative like a yogurt, some fruit or sandwich depending on the meal.

November 16th, 2011, 07:21 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I make them at least taste whatever is on their plate. Don't like it, then don't eat it and you are free to find something else to eat(or when younger, I'd make it if they couldn't). I would never intentionally put something on their plates that they don't like at all and would never tolerate even a tiny bit of. I will however give them new things to try from time to time and everyone has to taste. Even me, I'm no exception to the rule. There are times I make things I'm not super fond of, but because the kids have to at least taste, so do I. Actually we had an issue with guacamole not too long ago. None of the kids liked it, they all said they hated it and it was nasty. I made it again a few days ago for a snack and before I could even finish working and get it out, the kids had devoured it all and I had to make more. So much for being nasty.

If someone is having a moment and doesn't want anything on their plate, it usually means they are either A-sick(or getting sick) or B-tired. In those cases(rare) we find something else(usually something small)l to eat and then we go lay down somewhere. Dd1 was still getting over a nasty cold all last week and that is how a few nights went for her. She had a lot of soup last week, and a lot of naps.
November 16th, 2011, 08:11 PM
blondie-lox's Avatar Do NOT feed the Troll
I rarely make something new, and I won't make something my kids don't like. If they don't want what I made, then they don't eat until the next meal.

Huge thanks to *Kiliki* for the FANTABULOUS new siggy!!
November 16th, 2011, 09:54 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
My kids choose their own Breakfast and Lunch. For dinner I make ONE meal. They have to have a bite of everything on their plate but we don't force them to eat it all. If they want seconds of anything they have to eat firsts of everything. I will not make a second dinner. They eat what we eat or they don't eat. No one goes hungry because I try to provide at least one side everyone will eat, and they get to eat what they want for breakfast and lunch. Dinner is non negotiable.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
November 17th, 2011, 02:50 AM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
The only thing Jace really dislikes is grilled meat... He ends up chewing and chewing and chewing and doesn't ever feel ready to swallow. I don't have issues with anything else so I really don't have much to say and I consider myself lucky. The kid eats sushi and lamb intestines for goodness sake.
November 17th, 2011, 05:29 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really make anything really new. Usually the same meats cooked different ways etc. I wont make a 2nd meal for the older kids, but Sebastian ALWAYS eats something different. I don't think hes eaten a real cooked meat ever in his life. By real I mean other than chicken nuggets or fish sticks.

November 17th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Undomesticated Housewife's Avatar Master(de)bater
Team Jillian here, too. I was a picky eater and would get sick if I ate something I didn't like. My son is the same way, so I'm easy on him. He probably won't be so picky forever, I know I'm not as bad anymore! Gracey will eat anything. She often goes through the grocery store picking odd things up and asks, "What is this? Can I try it?" She also will eat whatever out of fear of hurting the cook's feelings. I didn't TEACH her to be that way, she is just super conscious of other's feelings. lol
November 17th, 2011, 06:22 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
My kids also get to pick their lunch and breakfast, but I also only make 1 dinner. I never make things that I know they do not like either, and I also always have 2 or 3 sides. I refuse to make 2 or 3 meals so that everyone is happy with their meals. You get what you get and you do not throw a fit. If they take a bite and do not like it, then they have their sides that they can eat. I also make dessert every night, so they have to eat all their food to get it. Otherwise they can go to bed without any dessert.

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
November 17th, 2011, 07:30 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I haven't really encountered many things that he won't eat, so when he refuses, I know its legit. If thats the case, someone else eats it or the dog eats it and he gets something else. I'm not going to force my kid to eat something I know he doesn't want to - its cruel.
November 17th, 2011, 07:49 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have them try it first. If they don't like it then I'll make them a PB sandwich. Most of the time they do like it.
November 17th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I guess I let my kids pick their breakfast and lunch, but I didn't realize it until now.
With DD, she will try it if I ask and she usually likes it, if not I do not make her eat it.
With DS, he hates most foods, so I have to make it seem like it is only for me and then he will beg for it, so I give it to him. I guess that sounds bad, but it is the only way I cna get him to try new foods. I try to make things the whole family likes usually.

Team Jillian

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

November 17th, 2011, 10:14 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

Exactly. I always make part of the meal something I know she likes. New stuff, I tell her to at least try it. We don't all like the same things. Mackenzie hates green beans. I hate yogurt. She tried to tell me I have to eat yogurt because it's good for me. I told her I'd eat yogurt when she eats green beans

My mom learned the hard way about making me eat things that I was adamant against (the smell alone was turning my stomach). I threw it back up all over the dinner table.

November 17th, 2011, 10:16 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I usually make things I know they like. My daughter will eat almost anything, my son is very picky. If we have something new and he doesn't like it, he can have a yogurt (which he loves), but I'm not making 2 dinners.
November 17th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

Well said! I was & still am a picky eater so I totally get my picky dd. We ask that the kids at least try new stuff - sometimes they like it & sometimes they don't. We often make 2 meals - 1 for them & 1 for us. It's really no big deal.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search