Laws on dog ownership

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 19th, 2011, 08:55 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you think there should be laws, or stricter laws on who can own dogs?

Right now I don't think there is a law in my state on who can own a dog, unless that person is a known repeate dog abuse offender. This debate stems from my neighbors. Quick back story. We've had this house in MN for 5 years now (didn't always live in it year round though), and we've had the same neighbors. Now these neighbors have the worse looking house in town. Their yard is disgusting, their house is disgusting, etc. When we moved in they had 3 small dogs. 2 looked like Bichon Frise, and the other looked like a small mutt. They have a kennel that can't be more than 5ft by 5 ft and all 3 dogs live in there year round. No walks or anything. They still have those dogs and now have a new dog, a siberian husky. The husky is chained up on the side of their house. The chain can only be 1 or 1.5 feet, it is so short. That dog has been there for a few weeks now and I've never seen it off that chain. I feel so bad for it right now because we are having freezing rain and it's out there barking and whinning.

Do you think owners like them should be allowed to have dogs? Is there anything that can be done with their current dogs?

Here is the dog. I don't know if you can see the chain but right next to that red thing on the ground is where the dog is chained.

Another picture. We can see the dog out our dinning room window and we've been sitting here doing Christmas cards and watching the dog, this is as far as the dog can go. The dog has tried to sit a few times but it looked like it was either unable to or was too uncomfy to sit.
November 19th, 2011, 09:02 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't know about laws, but I would probably call the authorities to co
E check it out if I were you and really thought the dogs were being neglected.
November 19th, 2011, 09:23 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'd call animal control on that. If there isn't a law, there should be. Sad...
November 19th, 2011, 09:33 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here there are laws as to the types of outdoor shelter and living conditions that are acceptable for different sized dogs and seasons as well as number of animals before you would have to get a kennel license even if you are keeping them for personal and not commercial use.

I'd probably call the dog officer to have them check out the house and make sure the animals are being kept safe.

I have no issue with those types of laws but can't see anything more intrusive than that.

November 19th, 2011, 09:35 AM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Call an animal shelter and ask them if they have any phone numbers that they suggest. Poor doggy looks so sad, and I'm not even a huge dog person
November 19th, 2011, 09:36 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Add me to the call the authorities list. Poor dogs.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

November 19th, 2011, 09:39 AM
Super Mommy
Only if there's the same law for children. The dog has food, water, and vet care in extreme situations then there's really nothing you can or should do. Possibly offer a "used" longer chain. and/or a dog Christmas Stocking w/ a homemade gift for the owners.

Last edited by Miguels mommy; November 19th, 2011 at 10:31 PM.
November 19th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Jennhowru's Avatar Doin Good. And You?
I don't see any food or water dishes within reach, if that's as far as it can move.

I would definitely call animal welfare to at least check on it. If they deem the 3 basic necessities aren't being met, they will inform the owner that they have such and such amount of time to rectify the situation or they will take the dog away.

And if they must have that nasty ***** matress in their yard, the least they could do is move it closer so the poor guy could lay on it.
November 19th, 2011, 04:49 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
All animals shall be maintained in a healthy condition, or if ill shall be given appropriate treatment immediately.

(2)

The quarters in which the animals are kept shall be maintained in a clean condition and in a good state of repair.

(3)

Animal pens or enclosures shall be large enough to provide freedom of movement to the animals contained therein and shall be constructed of nonporous and non-corrosive materials.

(4)

Dogs shall be kept in separate enclosures from cats. Dogs and cats over the age of five months shall be housed in separate enclosures with no more than three dogs or three cats contained within the same enclosure.

(5)

Food supplies shall be stored in rodent-proof containers and food and water containers shall be kept clean.

(6)

Litter or bedding material shall be changed as often as necessary to prevent an odor nuisance.

(7)

Feces shall be removed from yards, pens and enclosures at least daily and stored in tightly covered, secure containers until final disposal.

(8)

Yards, pens, premises and animals shall be kept free of pest infestations.

(9)

No odor nuisance shall be permitted. Any animal holding area containing animals shall be provided with fresh air by means of windows, doors, vents, exhaust fans or air conditioning so as to minimize drafts, odors and moisture condensation.

(10)

All animals shall have protection from the elements, whether indoors or outdoors.

Laws usually don't go by state, but by county or city. There typically aren't laws on how short a leash can be though. The laws for our city are pretty typical for any city. You should be able to call the local police department and they could tell you what you need to know, or will maybe come evaluate conditions.

November 19th, 2011, 04:51 PM
New Mama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I To answer your actual question, I say yes. There are WAY too many *bad* dog owners out there. Granted, not all are intentional. I think a lot of people get puppies and then when they get puppy behavior can't handle it. Or worse, get puppies and when the puppy's grown, don't want a "big" dog.

I also don't think people exercise their dogs enough. Most dogs (well medium/large ones) NEED to get their energy out and if they don't, they tear $h!t up.

And in this case, can someone please explain WHY people get dogs and leave them outside tied to a leash all day?! I just don't get it. What's the point in having a "pet" to just leave it outside all day. I get it when they're certain types that like the cool whether or are intended to work for example, on a far,, but there are SO many people that get dogs and then leave them in a kennel, fenced in yard, or worse, on a leash all day. AGH!

Anyway...I'm obviously a dog lover. I don't know how they'd ever monitor actual "laws" for bad petowners though unless they're extreme. I just wish more people would THINK about the BIG PICTURE when they buy an animal.

I agree with the others. Call the authorities. I don't see how that dog has 'shelter' and generally the laws state that dogs need food, water, & shelter.

Sad.

Last edited by New Mama; November 19th, 2011 at 04:54 PM.
November 20th, 2011, 07:22 AM
LindseyE117's Avatar Wookie's Girl
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Mama View Post
I To answer your actual question, I say yes. There are WAY too many *bad* dog owners out there. Granted, not all are intentional. I think a lot of people get puppies and then when they get puppy behavior can't handle it. Or worse, get puppies and when the puppy's grown, don't want a "big" dog.

I also don't think people exercise their dogs enough. Most dogs (well medium/large ones) NEED to get their energy out and if they don't, they tear $h!t up.

And in this case, can someone please explain WHY people get dogs and leave them outside tied to a leash all day?! I just don't get it. What's the point in having a "pet" to just leave it outside all day. I get it when they're certain types that like the cool whether or are intended to work for example, on a far,, but there are SO many people that get dogs and then leave them in a kennel, fenced in yard, or worse, on a leash all day. AGH!

Anyway...I'm obviously a dog lover. I don't know how they'd ever monitor actual "laws" for bad petowners though unless they're extreme. I just wish more people would THINK about the BIG PICTURE when they buy an animal.

I agree with the others. Call the authorities. I don't see how that dog has 'shelter' and generally the laws state that dogs need food, water, & shelter.

Sad.

I completely agree that there should be laws. And to point out the bolded section above, I COMPLETELY agree with you. What is the point of having a dog and just leaving it outside? What point does this serve?

Chained up dogs that are not given any exercise or proper socialization with both humans and other animals have been known to be more aggresive. In fact, dogs left in back yards are where most of the dog attacks come from.

I have 3 dogs, all kept indoors with no problems. I have 1 mini dachshund, 1 standard dachshund (a rescue from an abusive puppy mill situation-had no hair and was a skeleton when they found him), and a pit bull. My husband and I are strong advocates for the breed. We have their kennels downstairs for when we are not home. Leaving a dog in the backyard while gone leaves open risk for that dog getting out and getting hurt (or possibly having a bad situation happen).

Anyway, this is an issue very close to my heart from all my volunteer time at shelters and rescues. I love my dogs and they are considered my family. I say definately call animal control and let them know that there is a possible neglect case next door.

Also, on a completely unrelated note, I am assuming there is no HOA in the neighborhood? Sometimes those can be evil, but they come in handy with situations like this. (the house of course, not the dogs)

Thank you Shortcake for my beautiful siggy!
November 20th, 2011, 08:36 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I called a shelter, waiting for a call back

We do keep our 2 dogs outside a lot in the summer time, but we are out there too and the kids are throwing balls for them and playing with them. Otherwise they are inside with us. We have a rottie and a apbt.
November 20th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm glad you called the shelter and hope they get back to you on this. Poor dog

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
November 20th, 2011, 03:55 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I would have called animal control-and I do if I see someone mistreating an animal. They patrol out here a lot. There's a pretty big problem with people who let their animals run loose. There's also a lot of areas near us that have problems with feral cats (we live in a more rural area right on the outskirts of town, tons of woods here). So they have a few trucks everyday out there patrolling. They take all calls seriously too, and investigate plus follow up on them all.
I just hate that the majority of their pick ups, get put down. Breaks my heart since many are simply former pets let loose by morons.

That's how I got my furballs. The older cat was the run of a litter a feral mama cat had wandered into someone's shed to give birth. She got hit by a car and left behind three lil kittens. The younger one we have is also a runt(and about half the size of an adult cat, but he's full grown, he's very tiny). He, his mama and his 5 brothers were dumped in a sewer.(dude got caught later on thanks to someone taking his license plate #, and he had to serve time, pay a fine, plus community service and isn't allowed to own animals). All of the kittens and mama got a new home though, so it worked out in the end for them.

Meh, I don't like when people treat animals like they're disposable, and not important. Why bother even having them to begin with if you can't, or won't, care for them properly? I think the penalties everywhere should be higher to be honest. Some areas around us aren't very strict at all. I hate that.
November 20th, 2011, 05:25 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Around here, people leash their dogs to make them more aggressive. I live in a country area and most dogs run free outside (in acreage). They are not house pets. They are there to protect the yard, animals and family.

I have some dogs right down the street in SMALL kennels 24/7 and I called on them. The animal officer said that there was nothing they could do because the animal was fed, watered, no signs of abuse and was up to date on shots. So the animal can sit in that kennel 24/7/365 as long as all of those are met.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

November 21st, 2011, 11:09 AM
foxfire_ga79
I think there needs to be more laws on chaining dogs. This should not be legal. I think any strict confinement is bad for dogs. They need space to roam.
I've called AC on people with dogs chained before. Unfortunately it's legal around here, but I like to know that AC will at least make sure the dogs have food, water, and shelter, if nothing else.
I can't imagine getting a dog and then just tying it up or leaving it outside all the time. Unless it's a working dog. My male Pyrenees never came in the house but that's because he was with the goats. All of our PET dogs have been professional couch potatos.
November 21st, 2011, 11:55 AM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^^Yes! I think dogs that are on leashes, should be on runs. I am not sure what the technical term is for that.

See example pic:
https://us2.ixquick-proxy.com/do/spg..._trolly_02.jpg

Growing up, our more agressive dogs we had were on these. They were about 200ft and the dog could move about on its own and could get into a dog house. The down side is that they could get wrapped around the trees, but we checked them a few times a day.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

November 21st, 2011, 02:23 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Our dog goes on a lead when he's outside. He HAD free reign of the yard, but he kept going under the fence and getting out. After he got hit by a car we put him on a lead for his own safety. Used correctly leads/chains are NOT bad for the dog.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
November 25th, 2011, 10:03 AM
Keepin' it real!
Yes, I think there SHOULD be stricter laws. If you don't have time for your dog and it sits on a leash all day every day, then you have no business having a dog.
Dogs are not made to be on chains. And huskies very rarely bark, so obviously, this dog is being neglected and does not like being chained. I can't say much about the cold because it's a HUSKY which means they generally love cold weather. My husky stays out a lot during winter and hates coming inside because she likes to play in the snow and mud.

And I really don't like dogs at all. We just have ours because we wanted someone to watch the home when weirdos in this area come by. That said, I don't mistreat her. In fact, I have taught her how to talk! And not bark-talk like some dogs do when you say "speak" I mean she will actually howl and she can say 2 words! One is "Bone" and let me tell you, she will go to the bones and say it over and over til she gets one. lol

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
November 27th, 2011, 10:30 AM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Here in Omaha it is illegal to keep your dog on a tie-out for more than 15 minutes without an adult being outside with the dog. I understand the reasoning for this but I also think that it would be better for a dog to be outside rather than in a small crate when you are at work or not at home. A fenced in yard is ok but I don't trust just leaving them out all day with only a fence keeping them in. At least on a proper tie-out they can get some exercise and be outdoors.

The pictures that the OP posted would 100% be illegal here and it should be everywhere. If you do have your dog on a tie-out it should be a trolley system or something similar so the dog can not tangle the cable or chain.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search