South Korea architecture a mockery of 9/11 and the World Trade Center?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 9th, 2011, 04:29 PM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Does the United States have reason to be upset about the architecture of these buildings?

MVRDV architects reveal plans for South Korean buildings that look eerily like the Twin Towers exploding | Mail Online

I heard this on the radio today and the radio show hosts were extremely offended and thought we should pull all our troops out of S Korea and refuse any further aid to the country. To me, it does seem a bit odd that the designers claim they had no idea it looked like the attacks on the World Trade Center. It just seems so obvious to me but I heard about it before I saw the images. IMO, it's not very classy.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
December 9th, 2011, 04:54 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do think it looks a lot like TWC with a "cloud of smoke". I also think it's a really cool looking design. If they truly didn't see the resemblance then I think they should add some more of the "clouds" on different levels. I'm not offended by it if they didn't mean to make it look like TWC. But if they did, then I would be deeply offended and saddened that people would make it a joke or mockery.
December 9th, 2011, 04:55 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
OK I just tried to read that and once I saw the pics I had to close out the page. I'm not ready for a debate like this.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

December 9th, 2011, 05:15 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmm... I have a hard time understanding how they couldn't see the resemblance there but sometimes people can't see things that are clearly in front of them. I think it would be in the best interest of everyone to change the design of the buildings.
December 9th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee View Post
I do think it looks a lot like TWC with a "cloud of smoke". I also think it's a really cool looking design. If they truly didn't see the resemblance then I think they should add some more of the "clouds" on different levels. I'm not offended by it if they didn't mean to make it look like TWC. But if they did, then I would be deeply offended and saddened that people would make it a joke or mockery.
ITA. I think it is quite possible that a Dutch firm designing for S. Korea could easily overlook it as it is not part of their cultural make up as it is here.

December 9th, 2011, 05:48 PM
foxfire_ga79
It's a cool concept, having buildings attached like that. But it bothers me how much it looks like the WTC. I understand the Dutch and Koreans might not see that right off, but those images are burnt in my memory forever. To me, that's the first thing I thought of when I saw it. I was expecting it to be only hinted at, like I'd have to look at it a certain way to see it like the WTC, but it's right out there just as plain as it can get.
I really hope they just overlooked that and didn't mean it in an offensive way.
December 9th, 2011, 05:56 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho06 View Post
ITA. I think it is quite possible that a Dutch firm designing for S. Korea could easily overlook it as it is not part of their cultural make up as it is here.
I agree.

Yes, the first thing I thought of was the twin towers, but I also think it is a super cool design with everything connected. For us, Americans, it is a lot more meaningful/tragic than to the rest of the world. Just think of all the horrible things- including bombings- that happen in other countries that we really have no idea about, or just an inkling of an idea.

December 9th, 2011, 06:03 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I was expecting to not really get it but man that looks just like the twin towers on fire. I showed my husband, who is normally a skeptic and he saw it right away too. I think any moron would.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
December 10th, 2011, 07:11 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ouch. Like Beth, before I opened it was wondering how they could possibly make it look like the twin towers about to fall. They definitely managed.

December 10th, 2011, 09:48 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I see the what everybody is saying, but I also think the that world does not see the twin towers in everything like we do. I like the design. I do not think they should have to change it because others might be offended. We don't really change things due to what the rest of the world might be offended by.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

December 12th, 2011, 12:44 PM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
Yeh, the architect didn't even think of the resemblance

Quote:
In an interesting development it has been revealed ‘The Cloud’ will be built in the ‘Youngsan Dream Hub’, which is in part designed by the man behind the new World Trade Center complex.
Daniel Libeskind also presented a plan for a revamped lower Manhattan after 9/11 - which is closely resembled by the new buildings by MVRDV, reported by the International Business Times.
He is very familiar with the 9/11 site.

December 12th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I still do not think that they should have to change the design because some people might be offended or hurt by it. It is not like he is building it in NYC. There are towers everywhere. They are connected by a design that looks like smoke to some. Who knows why they had to put the design on those floors? Maybe it is the best place for the design to make the structure sturdy. Why does the rest of the world have to be on it's tippy toes for us? We do not do it for others.

December 13th, 2011, 06:17 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaB View Post
Yeh, the architect didn't even think of the resemblance

He is very familiar with the 9/11 site.
I agree, plus did you see the Hurricane Katrina homes they made that looked like they were broken in half by water? I totally think he's doing it on purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Baby View Post
I still do not think that they should have to change the design because some people might be offended or hurt by it. It is not like he is building it in NYC. There are towers everywhere. They are connected by a design that looks like smoke to some. Who knows why they had to put the design on those floors? Maybe it is the best place for the design to make the structure sturdy. Why does the rest of the world have to be on it's tippy toes for us? We do not do it for others.
Maybe not all the time, but on extremely sensitive issues, I think we do. Can you imagine the US building a mall called Auschwitz that looked just like the concentration camp? Neither can I. It just wouldn't be done here.
December 13th, 2011, 12:30 PM
Well, even if he is, that is his prerogative. If we don't like it, we can not do business with him. Is it distasteful? Yes. Are we going to start asking everybody to be censored because it might offend someone else? It looks like it has started.....

December 13th, 2011, 01:25 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Is anyone asking him to censor his work? I didn't see that, just that people were outraged. If they go through with the building, I would hope people in that city would choose not to live there.
December 14th, 2011, 10:51 AM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
yeah idk how anyone much less an architect that worked on bidding for the WTC site would not see the resemblance. Bunch of crap.
December 14th, 2011, 03:21 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
He at least needs to own the fact that it was intentional. To play ignorant pisses me off more than anything.

December 15th, 2011, 10:25 AM
MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty's Avatar Co-Host of Heated Debates
Only this level of "BAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW" would prompt me to post again.

We've ruined world politics in the last 10 years because we insist on crying over 9/11 and acting like it's the worst thing to have ever happened to a country, ever, and not only does every other country (who have experienced a great deal more turmoil and fear than we have, BTW. Think about S Korea's proximity to the crazy people running N Korea.) need to bend over backwards to cater to our notions about what's a high level of terrorism.

9/11 was a terrible thing to have happened. So were the Madrid bombings. But no one dragged their ARMY into an unrelated country and killed untold numbers of people over the Madrid bombings. So let's use 9/11 to ruin world politics and then BAWWWWWWWWWW and expect other countries to never make aesthetic decisions that may remind us of 9/11 too much when we look at them. Because the US is such a special, special snowflake compared to all the other nations out there that have experienced terrorism.

Really? Withdraw all of our troops and never offer aid again because we don't like that there's a building in their country that may make us think of 9/11? Are people aware that leaving the area has the potential to destabilize the region? So throwing our weight around, bullying other countries because of an apartment building, that's the appropriate response? Because no country has EVER been through ANYTHING as PAINFUL AS 9/11 BAAWWWWWW.

It's the Worst Thing In The World to us. But only to us. The IRA devastated England in past years, Spain was in pieces, torn apart by civil war relatively recently, everyone's aware of N Ireland's troubles. I would hope that no one would actively try to use the pain of 9/11 to aggravate us, but if we do not get some emotional distance from 9/11 as a country we will continue to ruin world politics.

Yes, it looks like 9/11. Insofar as any towers with interruption in the design will look like 9/11. I don't think I'd support building something like this in Manhattan, but to insist that this can't be built thousands of miles away because IT LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING THAT HAS HURT US MORE THAN ANYONE HAS EVER BEEN HURT, and especially to say that to S Korea, who's tangled with N Korea on our behalf more than once, taking a great deal of risk to do so.........................

Americans, we were hurt. It was awful. I would wish those 3000odd people back right now if I could. But we've GOT to move on. We CANNOT keep throwing our weight around regarding 9/11 like this.

"I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."
December 15th, 2011, 11:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
He at least needs to own the fact that it was intentional. To play ignorant pisses me off more than anything.
I don't think you can say it was intentional unless you have inside information. Honestly I wouldn't have thought of the 9/11 if I had seen these pictures without the article around them. I would have thought an architect found a cool way to connect 2 buildings somewhere other than at the basement.

Also, if I have this right, he was bidding on rebuilding the space at the site. Not memorizing photos & videos of the 9/11 events. Not being an American, he may not have been inundated with those scenes like we were.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
December 15th, 2011, 01:35 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTorrieIfYou'reNasty View Post
Only this level of "BAAAAWWWWWWWWWWW" would prompt me to post again.

We've ruined world politics in the last 10 years because we insist on crying over 9/11 and acting like it's the worst thing to have ever happened to a country, ever, and not only does every other country (who have experienced a great deal more turmoil and fear than we have, BTW. Think about S Korea's proximity to the crazy people running N Korea.) need to bend over backwards to cater to our notions about what's a high level of terrorism.

9/11 was a terrible thing to have happened. So were the Madrid bombings. But no one dragged their ARMY into an unrelated country and killed untold numbers of people over the Madrid bombings. So let's use 9/11 to ruin world politics and then BAWWWWWWWWWW and expect other countries to never make aesthetic decisions that may remind us of 9/11 too much when we look at them. Because the US is such a special, special snowflake compared to all the other nations out there that have experienced terrorism.

Really? Withdraw all of our troops and never offer aid again because we don't like that there's a building in their country that may make us think of 9/11? Are people aware that leaving the area has the potential to destabilize the region? So throwing our weight around, bullying other countries because of an apartment building, that's the appropriate response? Because no country has EVER been through ANYTHING as PAINFUL AS 9/11 BAAWWWWWW.

It's the Worst Thing In The World to us. But only to us. The IRA devastated England in past years, Spain was in pieces, torn apart by civil war relatively recently, everyone's aware of N Ireland's troubles. I would hope that no one would actively try to use the pain of 9/11 to aggravate us, but if we do not get some emotional distance from 9/11 as a country we will continue to ruin world politics.

Yes, it looks like 9/11. Insofar as any towers with interruption in the design will look like 9/11. I don't think I'd support building something like this in Manhattan, but to insist that this can't be built thousands of miles away because IT LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING THAT HAS HURT US MORE THAN ANYONE HAS EVER BEEN HURT, and especially to say that to S Korea, who's tangled with N Korea on our behalf more than once, taking a great deal of risk to do so.........................

Americans, we were hurt. It was awful. I would wish those 3000odd people back right now if I could. But we've GOT to move on. We CANNOT keep throwing our weight around regarding 9/11 like this.
I agree with you. I don't really understand how 9/11 is the absolute worst thing that has ever happened. Yes, it was a tragedy. Yes, it was sad. But its only a tragedy to us. And its only sad to us. I never really understood why anything that happens in the US trumps every other tragedy in the world. Its like America has a victim complex and everyone needs to walk on eggshells around us. I never really understood it to be honest.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search