Shortage Of ADHD Medications.

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 18th, 2011, 06:26 PM
foxfire_ga79
Vitals - Lingering shortage of ADHD drugs unravels lives

Are these meds being over prescribed? Is the government being too controlling? Are drug companies being irresponsible in their manufacturing and/or distribution practices?
None of the above, all of the above, more to the story?
December 18th, 2011, 09:31 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Yes, maybe, YES.

I want to mull this one over a bit to try and come up with a wordier reply that is clear and concise, a few replies might help me express how I feel about it in better wording.
TTC #1 together since December 2011
ttc naturally until end of year

May 6th- bfp @ 10dpo ended in a Chemical Pregnancy May 15th @5w1d

Me: Hashi's, PCOS,Multiple miscarriages
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motility Vitamins started August 2nd.

December 19th, 2011, 07:42 AM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's a combination of everything. I do think in some cases the drugs are prescribed when they shouldn't be. But I have a few students who really benefit from the drugs. I can tell instantly when they haven't taken them that day. If you really have ADHD, the drugs help SO much. I also think that increased tv and video game playing also triggers ADHD.

December 19th, 2011, 08:34 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
It's a combo of many things. Some doctors are quick to prescribe pills, some companies aren't making enough, the government is being a bit too hands on. People are getting these script and pills illegally then selling them to people who don't require them. It's a huge mess of smaller issues that make up one bigger one.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

December 19th, 2011, 08:52 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with PPs. Yes it is over prescribed sometimes, and not prescribed enough sometimes. It does help kids and adults with ADHD, but it doesn't help all kids.
December 19th, 2011, 09:30 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yup, I've thought for a long time that the ADHD meds are over prescribed and I'm sure the drug companies "have a shortage" so they can make more money off of it. Keep shortage low and demand high, means more money in the end for the company. I do think the drug companies use shady practices to get their drugs in the market though.
December 19th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
Yup, I've thought for a long time that the ADHD meds are over prescribed and I'm sure the drug companies "have a shortage" so they can make more money off of it. Keep shortage low and demand high, means more money in the end for the company. I do think the drug companies use shady practices to get their drugs in the market though.
Isn't the cost kinda the reason that everything has a generic? If they are making demand higher so they can jack the cost of even generic drugs, that's a pretty crappy way to work things. I think it's over diagnosed with little means of other routes taken first. Especially for very young children. Of course there is always some people that actually benefit from the drug, that's why it's being used (or at least I hope that's most of the reason it's being used anyway)..

December 19th, 2011, 11:17 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
Isn't the cost kinda the reason that everything has a generic? If they are making demand higher so they can jack the cost of even generic drugs, that's a pretty crappy way to work things. I think it's over diagnosed with little means of other routes taken first. Especially for very young children. Of course there is always some people that actually benefit from the drug, that's why it's being used (or at least I hope that's most of the reason it's being used anyway)..

Yup, so since the med ingredients are only allowed in certain quantities, they produce only so much of the generic. Less money in the generic, so people scramble to buy the brand name that there IS still some of at the higher price. More $$ for the maker. However, if you can't afford the brand name...
TTC #1 together since December 2011
ttc naturally until end of year

May 6th- bfp @ 10dpo ended in a Chemical Pregnancy May 15th @5w1d

Me: Hashi's, PCOS,Multiple miscarriages
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motility Vitamins started August 2nd.

December 19th, 2011, 11:24 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
Everything doesn't have a generic.
December 19th, 2011, 12:35 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Generic drugs can take years to be produced. If the name brand company has a patent on the drug, no other company can reproduce the drug until said patent expires.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

December 19th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ View Post
However, if you can't afford the brand name...
My son is one of those that really need it. He's completely unmanageable without them, and even with them it's still difficult. We have to under-medicate him for other reasons. But either way, he needed one not covered by his insurance, and I applied to the manufacturer, and now get the name brand for free. I couldn't afford to pay for even the generic out of pocket, but they cover the name brand. Sometimes you just need to check with the manufacturer to get help.
December 19th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Keepin' it real!
I do think many docs overdiagnose and overmedicate. I think that makes it hard for the kids who really need the meds to get them.

Just a suggestion if anyone ever cannot get their ADHD meds

Catnip tea. Apparently it works well. My friend has two severely ADHD/ADD imposed children and she cannot afford her meds all the time for them. So, she uses catnip tea. She also uses melatonin on one of the boys at night. She says it's a great "in- between-meds" solution. I would never have even thought of those items...lol

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
December 20th, 2011, 07:06 AM
GinaB's Avatar Ex-Navy Lifetime NRA!
All I have to say is I have fought with my son's teachers for over 2 years that there was nothing wrong with my son. Now that he is failing school and can't sit still I finally conceded to take him to the peditrician. They have prescribed him Concerta and he has brought home his first 95 ever. I can't believe the difference! I have been soooooo proven wrong on my thought process on kids being diagnosed.

December 20th, 2011, 07:33 AM
thepinkleprechaun's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to thepinkleprechaun
Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaB View Post
All I have to say is I have fought with my son's teachers for over 2 years that there was nothing wrong with my son. Now that he is failing school and can't sit still I finally conceded to take him to the peditrician. They have prescribed him Concerta and he has brought home his first 95 ever. I can't believe the difference! I have been soooooo proven wrong on my thought process on kids being diagnosed.
Good for you!

I have ADD, I was diagnosed as a child (think...1st grade here). My father didn't "believe in" medicating for anything like this, he told me to pray to God to make me behave better instead Yeah it didn't work. Anyways, I finally started taking Adderall when I was 22 years old and I felt normal for the first time IN MY LIFE. I couldn't believe it. I am just kind of bitter about the fact that I wasn't medicated until recently because there are so many things that I could have done better...

I do think that people are quick to jump to the conclusion of ADD/ADHD in kids, but for those who really do have it I feel terrible for them if they don't get meds, because it just helps so much.
December 20th, 2011, 10:56 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
"Natural" remedies don't work for every child because there is different levels. Medications dont' work for every child either, neither does therapy. Coffee can help some people with ADHD/ADD, it does my DH.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search