Soy formula vs. milk based formula

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 29th, 2011, 07:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Not sure if this has been posted here or if this is even the right place for it, but Ive been reading here and other places how some moms would "never let their kids drink soy formula." I'd like to know why its worse than a milk based formula.

Thanks!

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)
and NUMBER4! (due 7/4/2015)

December 30th, 2011, 12:12 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Perhaps it is the moms of boys who do not want their babies drinking soy. I didn't want my son drinking soy because of the levels of estrogen in it.
December 30th, 2011, 01:51 AM
So Jennifer, I know nothing of this but what harm comes out of boys who drink soy milk?
December 30th, 2011, 08:26 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Too much soy milk has been associated with early menstration in girls, cancers, and hormone imbalances in both boys and girls. Soy also tastes like cardboard. I would not want to feed my kids soy formula. I myself don't drink cow's milk and use alternatives, but I'd never do soy. People who do use soy formula usually use it because they want to reduce chances of allergies, but unless the child is lactose intolerant (a true lactose allergy is not common), studies show that soy does not decrease chances of allergies. Also in soy formulas they have to put a lot more calcium in it, and too much calcium is also not good.
December 30th, 2011, 08:45 AM
mommabirdof4
We use Soy based for both of the twins...after trying a few of the milk based formulas on the market and Corbin specficly not tolerating any of them we tried Soy as a trial before moving on to Hypoallergnic formula...and it worked great and the boys love it. I really didn't think they would do good on it (most babies who can't do milk can also not tolerate soy)but wanted to try it before taking the plunge down the hypoallergnic path. Funny thing is they can only take the gerber good start soy...all the other soy formulas they do horriable on. My boys are super happy and healthy on soy...no reflux or any other issues we were having with all other formulas.

It is a pros and cons thing a parent has to judge when they are going through finding the right formula.

Talk about cardboard tasting...My DS was on Nutragmigen...that stuff tastes like cardboard...the soy is actually an improvement.

Oh and the ironic thing is we eat almost NO soy in our household.....it just isn't our thing.
December 30th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I also wanted to add this. Many people who use cow's milk formula and then have a child who gets colicky or spits up a lot think that their baby is allergic. That is usually not true, as an allergy to cow's milk is actually not common. Usually it is just that the protein in cow's milk, casien, is not well tolerated. There are other cow milk formulas that have the proteins broken down for easier digestion.
December 30th, 2011, 09:09 AM
mommabirdof4
Yes, that is true...that is why you need to keep trying to find the right one....going through the MANY milk based formulas is trying for you and baby. We skipped to soy a little quicker just because we went stright to those broken down formula due to DS issues. Cole tolerated milk based formulas better then Corbin but keeping them on different formulas was NOT working...in those early days I would get their bottles mixed up and then poor Corby would pay the price.
December 30th, 2011, 09:18 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
My friend put her daughter on soy and she recently decided it wasn't worth the horrible constipation and the issues with estrogen levels. She went back to paying $10 a day for Alimentum.

I'd never do soy if I formula fed. Knowing what i know about it helping with fertility in the same way Clomid does, turns me off. I couldn't do it.

December 30th, 2011, 09:24 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Both my kids couldn't tolerate regular formula. T was on prosobee, that's all she could tolerate. Kev went through a few until we finally were able to give him nutramigen. OMG that one stunk to high heaven. I had no idea soy based formula had so much estrogen in it. Interesting.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

December 30th, 2011, 09:27 AM
mommabirdof4
Ya some babies get the Horriable constipation...luckly the twins don't have that issue which everyone (drs etc.) are always shocked at. But I ain't going to question it.

Ya using Nutramigen for us would cost more a month then our mortage payment...so we will stick with soy which is half of it...lol. Plus our son hated it and it was always a struggle to get him to eat at every feeding.

Like I said it is weighing the pros and cons....it is easy to say what you would never do it before you are in the thick of things....I used to say I would never do soy either.

One thing I learned by having surprise twins...is life throws things at you to teach you things, to humble you, and to show you planning in life doesn't always work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
Both my kids couldn't tolerate regular formula. T was on prosobee, that's all she could tolerate. Kev went through a few until we finally were able to give him nutramigen. OMG that one stunk to high heaven. I had no idea soy based formula had so much estrogen in it. Interesting.
Nutramigen was nasty...I tasted it once and OMG!!!!
December 30th, 2011, 09:32 AM
To me all formula stinks and is nasty tasting. It is like a powdered vitamin.
December 30th, 2011, 09:37 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll have to look up the study I read awhile back that showed a days worth of soy formula has the phytoestrogens equivalent of 5 birth control pills. No way would I give that to my baby, boy it girl, unless I had literally tries everything else and nothing else worked.
December 30th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Alimentum smells like potatoes. lol It really does. Not a pleasant smell, but not as bad as some others I've smelled.

I can't stress enough that making your estrogen levels rise isn't a good thing and I'd prefer spitting up as opposed to future hormonal issues. Like breasts for instance. It can increase a boys breast size if he has too much estrogen.

December 30th, 2011, 09:39 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I never tasted any formula.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

December 30th, 2011, 09:41 AM
I guess I never smelt that one. I can't remember which one it was, but it smelt like vomit. That really acidic vomit smell. The Earth's Best Organic one has an ok smell, but I can't remember what it smelt like, just that it was different.
December 30th, 2011, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
I never tasted any formula.
I haven't either. I can tell you my breastmilk tastes like skim milk that's had some yummy cereal in it for awhile.

If you want a shot in about 4 months....lol!

December 30th, 2011, 09:47 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
I haven't either. I can tell you my breastmilk tastes like skim milk that's had some yummy cereal in it for awhile.

If you want a shot in about 4 months....lol!
Mine tastes Ike the glaze on a Krispy Kreme, no joke.
December 30th, 2011, 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
Mine tastes Ike the glaze on a Krispy Kreme, no joke.
OMG! No wonder your babies look like they can't get enough of it!!

December 30th, 2011, 09:50 AM
mommabirdof4
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
Alimentum smells like potatoes. lol It really does. Not a pleasant smell, but not as bad as some others I've smelled.

I can't stress enough that making your estrogen levels rise isn't a good thing and I'd prefer spitting up as opposed to future hormonal issues. Like breasts for instance. It can increase a boys breast size if he has too much estrogen.
Yup just spitting up can be tolerated(as long as it is not effecting weight gain or causing assperation issues)...but formula reactions are not limited to just spitting up...blood in stool, Hives, etc.

I only tasted formula when my DS would get a clogged nipple...I normaly just sucked it out...ugh that stuff tasted nasty....the boys formula is different for sure but doesn't taste as bad. But I can't eat yogurt because it tastes like rotten and curdled milk to me...but my kids love the stuff.
December 30th, 2011, 09:52 AM
Have you tried the Alimentum? It's really for sensitivity without the hormonal side effects.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search