Doctors refusing service

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 31st, 2011, 10:51 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Recently, a friend of mine had a baby girl (yay!). She took her baby for her first check up, which is generally a "let's give your baby some vaccines" appointment. My friend told the doctor that she wasn't doing any vaccinations. The doctor told her she was a "lunatic" and that she would no longer see the baby after that appointment because she was knowingly putting other children at risk by choosing not to vaccinate.

What do you think about this? Do you agree with doctors refusing to take on patients that do not want to vaccinate?

December 31st, 2011, 10:55 AM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Doctors are allowed to refuse treatment to patients as well as patients refusing a doctor to treat them. I def don't agree with the name calling, but I would rather have a doc straight up tell me they don't want to treat my kid or me instead of continuing a patient doctor relationship and it being less than beneficial. I want a good relationship with my healthcare providers and want them to be honest whether or not I like it.
December 31st, 2011, 11:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
She's trying to find a doctor that will support her wishes, I just thought it was really sucky that a pediatrician would come at her like that. I'm totally fine with a doctor telling me they no longer wish to have me as a patient, but calling her a lunatic and being all rude about her parental decision? Not cool.

December 31st, 2011, 11:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey... Where's Perry? View Post
Doctors are allowed to refuse treatment to patients as well as patients refusing a doctor to treat them. I def don't agree with the name calling, but I would rather have a doc straight up tell me they don't want to treat my kid or me instead of continuing a patient doctor relationship and it being less than beneficial. I want a good relationship with my healthcare providers and want them to be honest whether or not I like it.
I agree.

December 31st, 2011, 11:07 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
He has the right to refuse service. Should he talk to her like that? No

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

December 31st, 2011, 11:30 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I ditto what has already been posted. He has the right to refuse service. She really should brush up on his bedside manners though.

Last edited by *Jennifer*; December 31st, 2011 at 11:36 AM.
December 31st, 2011, 11:31 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm going to go ahead and go against the grain and say, no I do not think a Doctor should have the right to refuse a patient. I'm a non-vaccinating mom, and I've heard time and time again that more Doctors are refusing to see kids and adults who are not vaccinated. I'm in a small town, our Doctors are limited. So what if all Doctors decide to not see my kids? Is it ok for Doctors to not treat people based on a decision that they have the legal right to make? Or should I suck it up and let my kids be sick, even if it is severe? Or should I have to vaccinate my kids eventhough it gave ds1 non-febrile seizures among other things? I'm not ok with this.
December 31st, 2011, 11:32 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yup, ditto everyone else
December 31st, 2011, 11:35 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
I'm going to go ahead and go against the grain and say, no I do not think a Doctor should have the right to refuse a patient. I'm a non-vaccinating mom, and I've heard time and time again that more Doctors are refusing to see kids and adults who are not vaccinated. I'm in a small town, our Doctors are limited. So what if all Doctors decide to not see my kids? Is it ok for Doctors to not treat people based on a decision that they have the legal right to make? Or should I suck it up and let my kids be sick, even if it is severe? Or should I have to vaccinate my kids eventhough it gave ds1 non-febrile seizures among other things? I'm not ok with this.

Good point. I didn't think of those from small towns where doctors are limited. However, even though the doctor was inappropriate in the way she responded, it sounded like she was concerned about her other patients.

Last edited by *Jennifer*; December 31st, 2011 at 11:37 AM.
December 31st, 2011, 11:39 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
What Deniz said.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

December 31st, 2011, 11:44 AM
But why is a Doctor so concerned about non-vaccinated kids? They aren't walking around with diseases, and there was a big study that came out just a few months ago showing that non-vaccinated kids are actually healthier on average than vaccinated kids.

I'm a strong believer that every person in the world regardless should have the right to proper medical care.
December 31st, 2011, 12:00 PM
Private owned business, so they have the right to refuse. Should all OBGYNs and nurses be forced to preform abortions even if they don't agree with them? The way the doctor handled the situation was completely out of line. But they have a right to refuse.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)

December 31st, 2011, 12:08 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
One of the orthopedic spine surgeons where I work, refuses patients that won't need surgery. There is a criteria you have to meet before he will even see you. And he also got one of the top docs in the U.S. Luckily his bedside manner is superb and he's hawt
December 31st, 2011, 12:09 PM
If it's a pirvate practice then I agree. But it's a big establishment like where I take my kids to (large clinic and hospital) then no I don't think they have the right to refuse treatment to non-vaccinated kids. Non-vaccinated kids do not walk around diseased or sick, so I don't see what the point is to refuse non-vaccinated kids other than to try to assert authority over a family's choice.

Also not all Doctors perform abortions, so that's not really comparible. All Pediatricians are Doctors for kids though.

Are you serious? A spine SURGEON refuses to treat a person who does NOT need surgery? So that is now comparible to a Doctor for children refusing certain children? Give me a break.
December 31st, 2011, 12:12 PM
KimberlyD0
Of course they have a right to refuse them. If your going to make that choice then I think thats great, but you have to be ready for the consequences of that choice. Doctors not accepting patients without vaccines is one of those consequences.

Thats like the mom at the daycare who just complained to me yesterday that they sent her non vaxed son home when he contracted chicken pox saying "chicken pox never killed anyone, let everyone get them" Frankly good for her not getting the vaccine if thats her choice, but don't complain when your child is excluded because they become ill with something that can spread like CP can. No matter WHO get them they're sent home, and DON'T expect everyone else to be ok with something like CP coming home.

She complained to the wrong women, MY DD is the one child who could die from something as "simple" as the chicken pox. My child's life is more important then her child being allowed to stay at school while sick.

Non vaccinating is great for those who believe in it and I think, even though I don't agree with it, that its great to have that option, but then you have to respect others who may not be ok with their child being exposed to VPD. Especially those like my DD who are immunocomprimised and don't have any protection.

My doctors office wont accept non vaxed (Unless medical) patients because he doesn't want to risk those patients who have no protection.

Really though would you want to be a non vaccinating parent with a doctor who doesn't accept patients without vaccines? It wouldn't be a good fit anyway.
December 31st, 2011, 12:13 PM
Look, I know it's not even close, but it's still a service provided by a medical professional. So it is a very relevant question.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

December 31st, 2011, 12:16 PM
Tofu Bacon's Avatar Enigma... or oxymoron?
I'm torn. On one hand, its pretty crappy for a doctor to not at least work with the parents... but I can imagine its got to be frustrating for doctors to expected to accommodate arbitrary "personalized" vaccine schedules. I have echo Kimberly: freedom of choice does not mean freedom from consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
there was a big study that came out just a few months ago showing that non-vaccinated kids are actually healthier on average than vaccinated kids.
Link, please.

Last edited by Tofu Bacon; December 31st, 2011 at 12:20 PM.
December 31st, 2011, 12:19 PM
KimberlyD0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu Bacon View Post

Link, please.
yeah I want that link too
December 31st, 2011, 12:21 PM
Tofu Bacon's Avatar Enigma... or oxymoron?
Although I'm pretty sure which "study" it is...
December 31st, 2011, 12:38 PM
Kimberly, non-vaccinated kids aren't walking around diseased or sick. Just because a child is not vaccianted doesn't mean he/she is going to get your immune compromised child sick. It is very likely that your child could get sick from a vaccianted child.

I can't find the link to the original study, only other websites that have it on them Big Study: Vaccinated Kids 2-5 More Diseases Than Unvaccinated | Health Freedom Alliance There was also another one done in the UK I think, I'll have to dig more for that.

I would rather my child get treated if he is sick then to be turned away. I don't care if my child is being treated by a Doctor who doesnt' believe in our choice, I just want him treated.

I know that unvaccinated kids do get sick and even disease where there are vacciantions for. But I want my choice as a mother to be respected and I want people to stop acting like my children are some diseased freaks and I want my kids to be able to go to the Doctor. I don't want to have to worry that if my child gets sick I'm going to have to drive 4 hours away just to get him treated. That is not ok in my book. People rae really hostile to those who do not vaccinate. Ever since we made the decision almost 4 years ago to stop vacciantions at 18 months with ds1 and not vaccinate at all with ds2 we've had to constantly fight our decision. We've had to fight with family (on my side), have had to listen to rude comments made by friends, and to top it off STRANGERS. Strangers think they have the right to tell me that my kids can't come to a public park or that we should have to stay home all the time, and so on. In fact, I've had WAY more rude comments made about not vaccinating then by formula or breastfeeding comments combined.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search