Race is not only skin deep

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2012, 02:51 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
Race is More than Skin Color! - YouTube

Thoughts?
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 3rd, 2012, 02:57 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ugh, it keeps stopping and then won't re-load. Is he saying we *are* different?
January 3rd, 2012, 03:40 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
He is saying that there are genetic and biological differences between races and we should preserve ourselves by not intermarrying/breeding.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 3rd, 2012, 03:51 PM
Well, there may be, but I don't think that should stop anyone from marrying who they love regardless of race. I honestly will never understand that mindset of white people should only marry white people, black people should only marry black people and purple people should only marry purple people. Even when you look at people with white skin, they come from different backgrounds and may be prone to different things from eachother.
January 3rd, 2012, 05:33 PM
birdblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
Well, there may be, but I don't think that should stop anyone from marrying who they love regardless of race. I honestly will never understand that mindset of white people should only marry white people, black people should only marry black people and purple people should only marry purple people. Even when you look at people with white skin, they come from different backgrounds and may be prone to different things from eachother.
I agree. I believe we are different, but i don't think our differences should prevent us from mating.

Thank you so much Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!

January 3rd, 2012, 06:42 PM
Linzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Linzie
He does make a point in saying that there are biological differences between the races besides skin color. That is fact. I remember reading somewhere else (i'll have to find it) that people of African descent have a longer shin and a slightly different muscle composition in the legs to make them faster, more agile. The facial structures of the races is a dead giveaway, hair and eye color too. No, race is not only skin deep.

However, that does not make a difference in who people should be with or love. If keeping the races pure was a big deal then yes, like should procreate with like. That's just logical. But since it isn't a big deal, love who you want.

January 4th, 2012, 08:18 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Quote:
Originally Posted by frgsonmysox View Post
He is saying that there are genetic and biological differences between races and we should preserve ourselves by not intermarrying/breeding.
OK I was going to watch it later one but with that basic run down, now I won't. As you can see by my kids, I'm all for intermarriage/breeding. I think it's silly to push the agenda of keeping a race pure. If you as a person doesn't want to mix, then don't but don't tell those that don't care about mixing to not do it.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

January 4th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
What WE ARE SAYING is that normal people naturally want to maintain their ethnic groups just as surely as a mother wants her own baby, and doesn't want to trade it for someone else's. It's natural and it's good.

Virtus-staff
I guess even if it doesn't break down to skin color he is kinda right that way. Not saying I believe that way, but look at religion or people that aren't born from a certain culture, but adapt to it. They want their children to be the same as them. You don't grow up being a Jew, and raise your kid Christian. Pretty much the same as if you go to school to be and LC you don't feed your kid formula, or if your husband works on Chevy cars you don't go out and buy your whole household Hondas.

I also learned that lady gaga=bad.

January 4th, 2012, 10:58 AM
I suppose I should elaborate on people not born into a culture, for example I know a lady who chose to be a muslim, and she and her husband are raising her son to be muslim. Or what about adopted babies. Not many people will alter their lifestyle if they adopt an african baby so that they can worship king mumbo jumbo and eat cheetahs (or whatever native africans do), they're going to eat big macs and be brought to a white christian church. Sure they might LEARN about their own culture, but they are going to live the one they were put in.

January 4th, 2012, 11:52 AM
So are people who choose adoption for their children not normal? That quote makes no sense to me.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)

January 4th, 2012, 12:08 PM
I guess that's what he/they mean? ^^ I didn't read very many comments after the video. I don't think normal was the best word chosen for the quote though, and I didn't mean to associate people who assume a different culture as un-normal.

Maybe I didn't listen to the video very well but I didn't hear him say that people shouldn't intermarry. Maybe I should go back and watch it again later. I think a better way to word that quote would have been it's common for people to want to maintain and pass on their culture. To me culture and race are totally different things. I think that was already debated.

January 4th, 2012, 12:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
I guess even if it doesn't break down to skin color he is kinda right that way. Not saying I believe that way, but look at religion or people that aren't born from a certain culture, but adapt to it. They want their children to be the same as them. You don't grow up being a Jew, and raise your kid Christian. Pretty much the same as if you go to school to be and LC you don't feed your kid formula, or if your husband works on Chevy cars you don't go out and buy your whole household Hondas.

I also learned that lady gaga=bad.
I'm sorry but I guess I just don't get what you're saying. I don't see how race would even compare to your examples. By your logic there, it would go something like: If you were raised white, it would be like marrying a black man and having his children. Or maybe I am just confused at what point you're trying to make.

January 4th, 2012, 12:47 PM
But even when looking at the white skin color, people from different countries with that same skin color are going to be different, culture wise. If you go to France and then to Iceland the culture, the language, the way people are is different. They can even be different genetically within that skin color. I totally agree that race is not only about the skin color, but about heritage, genetics, etc. But I think it's silly to say that Irish-Americans (for example) should only marry other Irish-Americans. If someone wants to preserve their heritage they will probably only marry someone within that heritage, and that is totally fine, just like it's totally fine to marry outside your race or heritage.
January 4th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I think I even confused myself by reading that. Ok my response was more to the quote I posted, I was saying that I agree with that it is common (or natural like he saysl) for people to want to stick with their own groups, but that's not just race, it goes for culture, religion and ANY strong belief. The person before him had posted something about multiracial kids being "wrong". So I agree that it is normal for people to want to pass on their beliefs. I don't think that passing on your beliefs has anything to do with RACE. That's where I gave examples of the people who are of one race doing the typical race's cultural things.

So I guess my thoughts on the video in general : Race is not more than skin deep, because race and culture are two totally different things. Someone's race or genetic makeup, when they are put in a different environment, or use freedom of choice which I'm pretty sure we all have, will stay the same though their culture can change SO a white marrying a black isn't going to 'ruin' anything BUT 'pure genetics' (which sounds really racist), it can't possibly ruin culture.

Does that make more sense? Brain is smokin' lol

January 4th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I think people are people no matter what the race. Our eyes may be different, our shins may be different but who cares???? We all have the same basic needs underneath.

I hate ethnic night at my kids school. While I'm completely caucasion, I'm a mutt of very, very mixed European decent of varying countries. Some of which we aren't totally sure of because my extremely poor ancestors weren't the best record keepers. I am not ethnic other than American.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
January 4th, 2012, 02:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
I think I even confused myself by reading that. Ok my response was more to the quote I posted, I was saying that I agree with that it is common (or natural like he saysl) for people to want to stick with their own groups, but that's not just race, it goes for culture, religion and ANY strong belief. The person before him had posted something about multiracial kids being "wrong". So I agree that it is normal for people to want to pass on their beliefs. I don't think that passing on your beliefs has anything to do with RACE. That's where I gave examples of the people who are of one race doing the typical race's cultural things.

So I guess my thoughts on the video in general : Race is not more than skin deep, because race and culture are two totally different things. Someone's race or genetic makeup, when they are put in a different environment, or use freedom of choice which I'm pretty sure we all have, will stay the same though their culture can change SO a white marrying a black isn't going to 'ruin' anything BUT 'pure genetics' (which sounds really racist), it can't possibly ruin culture.

Does that make more sense? Brain is smokin' lol
I kinda get what you're saying. But take countries like where my family is from, Puerto Rico, we all share the same culture yet you can find every color of the rainbow on the island. My Grandpa was dark as night and my Grandma is white as milk. Same country, same culture, different town and different skin color.

Also, I guess I'm an odd duck because I never sought out people from my own race and/or culture to be around. I actually get along better with people from a different race and/or culture, like my husbands.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search