Give slim kids better grades says French nutritionist

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 3rd, 2012, 05:33 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Give slim kids higher marks, says diet guru - Health - Diet and nutrition - msnbc.com

Quote:
The plan calls for high school students to be allowed to take a so-called "ideal weight" option in their final year exams, the "baccalaureat", under which they would earn extra points if they kept a body mass index (BMI) of between 18 and 25.
Those already overweight at the start of the two-year course would score double points if they managed to slim down over a period of two years.
"It's a fantastic motivator," Dukan told Reuters.
Thoughts? Should U.S. consider something similar to combat childhood obesity?

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
January 3rd, 2012, 06:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Uhhh, no. First, while it is a too often used excuse, but some people actually do have thyroid issues that prevent them from losing weight. And also, who would be deciding how fat is too fat? And I can't imagine what some kids would do to maintain a grade point average.

January 3rd, 2012, 06:28 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I think we NEED more incentives to get these weight epidemic under control. I'm not sure this is the answer, but to be honest I'm not 100% opposed to it yet.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)
January 3rd, 2012, 07:18 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, we need more incentive programs. I think this one is the totally wrong way to give teens incentive to maintain a healthy weight.
January 3rd, 2012, 07:24 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I do not think this is a good idea. The teen years are tough enough with dealing with body issues, then this. I don't think so. We do need to do something, but I think that removing HFCS, GMOs and other artificial ingredients in our food supply would do better at making kids healthier.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

January 3rd, 2012, 07:34 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure what BMI has to do with intellect. Considering ones GPA is theoretically a reflection of their knowledge of course material and efforts put for in acquiring that knowledge adding their BMI into the mix is way out of left field.

I also want to add that having a BMI within the normal range does not equal healthy. Those within the healthy range can suffer from health problems based on poor diet and exercise.

Also BMI doesn't factor in muscle weight or body frame etc. so it doesn't always give a true picture of ones health.

January 3rd, 2012, 07:50 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anything based on BMI is BS. According to BMI my husband is obese. He's not, he has a dense body type and has a lot of muscle. BMI does not account for body type, density, or muscle mass, and is completely flawed.

Yes, there needs to be more done to combat true obesity that is rooted in poor diets and sedentary lifestyles. Penalizing someone academically for being overweight is asinine and feeds into the negative stereotype that fat people are dumb and lazy. This actually really pisses me off. Emphasis should be on overall health, not obesity based on BMI.

January 3rd, 2012, 07:56 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
*sticks fingers down throat*

That's a double-edged-sword answer.
January 3rd, 2012, 08:11 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just what we need. Grades based on man who has a controversial diet plan and is a diet guru to the stars.
Quote:
Dukan has earned an international reputation as diet guru to the stars, although his methods have drawn criticism from some health experts and weightwatchers who say his high-protein meal plan causes fatigue, bad breath and dizziness.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
January 3rd, 2012, 09:17 PM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho06 View Post
I'm not sure what BMI has to do with intellect. Considering ones GPA is theoretically a reflection of their knowledge of course material and efforts put for in acquiring that knowledge adding their BMI into the mix is way out of left field.

I also want to add that having a BMI within the normal range does not equal healthy. Those within the healthy range can suffer from health problems based on poor diet and exercise.

Also BMI doesn't factor in muscle weight or body frame etc. so it doesn't always give a true picture of ones health.
Agree, i'm not a fan of BMI as the be all end all way of assessing appropriate weight either.

On your first point, that's why I found this idea interesting (if weird)...my initial reaction is that grades are supposed to measure a person's ability to absorb information and apply what they learn (we could have a whole debate about that though too) but other countries may value different things as well and wrap them into their educational grading system (like citizenship, etc) that aren't technically a measure of knowledge.

And at least when I was in school my grade in PE counted to (and pumped up ) my GPA...is this proposal really significantly different? I'm not really sure my PE class was a better indicator of physical fitness than BMI honestly...

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
January 4th, 2012, 08:49 AM
Super Mommy
I think it's crap. For one, BMI is an awful indicator of actual health/proper weight/good eating habits. For another, I find it extremely unfair. Some kids/teens (and adults) eat garbage constantly and are naturally twiggs. My stepkids are like that. We don't allow it here, but when they are at their moms all they eat is junk food, fast food, etc. Yet they gain no weight when they are eating 6000 plus calories a day there (I wish I was exaggerating). On the other hand, some people with healthy eating habits and exercise habits struggle to keep their weight in check. To reward someone for good genetics is nonsense.

Besides that, I don't think it''s fair to factor into grades at all. Reward (grade wise) the people who are working hard to achieve those grades.

January 4th, 2012, 09:13 AM
KimberlyD0
No its not right.

As for BMI its bull. BMI says I am morbidly obease. I'm not even close. I have a higher then average muscle mass due to being a farm girl.
January 4th, 2012, 09:26 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Short answer no.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

January 4th, 2012, 10:07 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larissa. View Post
I think it's crap. For one, BMI is an awful indicator of actual health/proper weight/good eating habits. For another, I find it extremely unfair. Some kids/teens (and adults) eat garbage constantly and are naturally twiggs. My stepkids are like that. We don't allow it here, but when they are at their moms all they eat is junk food, fast food, etc. Yet they gain no weight when they are eating 6000 plus calories a day there (I wish I was exaggerating). On the other hand, some people with healthy eating habits and exercise habits struggle to keep their weight in check. To reward someone for good genetics is nonsense.

Besides that, I don't think it''s fair to factor into grades at all. Reward (grade wise) the people who are working hard to achieve those grades.
I 100% agree with you on most of your points, and I agree that the whole idea, especially to base it on BMI, is nonsensical.

That said, GPA does technically reward some students for good genetics because intelligence and learning style have a large underlying basis in genetics. Some kids can work really hard and study constantly to get Bs and Cs, while other kids can float through and get As.

January 4th, 2012, 02:03 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
No, this bill is horrible. I think we need to help get kids healthier, in all ages of life, but this isn't it. And just because you're skinny doesn't mean you're healthy.
January 4th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
No, this bill is horrible. I think we need to help get kids healthier, in all ages of life, but this isn't it. And just because you're skinny doesn't mean you're healthy.
Unless I read the article wrong, its not a bill. Its a proposal that a controversial nutritional guru to the stars sent to French politicians.
Quote:
Dukan, who has sold 8 million copies of his diet book worldwide, made the proposal in a 250-page book called "An Open Letter to the Future President," which he sent out on Tuesday to 16 candidates for France's presidential election.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
January 4th, 2012, 02:12 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ Ah yes, I see
January 4th, 2012, 02:13 PM
So far the response has been:
Dukan diet founder's students proposal provokes uproar - Telegraph
Quote:
But the proposal was yesterday widely panned as an absurd, even dangerous publicity stunt seeking to cash in on guilt over Christmas excess.
The French health ministry said it was "astonished at Dr Dukan's strange proposal that is unknowingly physically discriminatory".
A little more on Dukan. He sounds a little quacky to me.
Quote:
Despite having seduced celebrities from actress Jennifer Lopez to supermodel Gisele Bundchen, the Dr Dukan's diet has come in for stiff criticism of late.
Last July, he lost a slander case against rival nutrionist Jean-Michel Cohen, who told a health magazine that it caused "serious health problems among certain patients such as a strong rise in cholesterol, cardio-vascular problems, breast cancer".
A ****ing survey last year of 5,000 "Dukanians", as his followers are known, suggested that 80 per cent of people who followed the diet regained lost weight within four years. Dr Dukan claims the figure is 40 per cent.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search