Pepsi sued for Racial Bias

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Linzie's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Linzie Send a message via Skype™ to Linzie
Pepsi Beverages pays $3.1M in racial bias case - Yahoo! News

Quote:
Pepsi Beverages Co. will pay $3.1 million to settle federal charges of race discrimination for using criminal background checks to screen out job applicants — even if they weren't convicted of a crime.

Quote:
EEOC officials said the company's policy of not hiring workers with arrest records disproportionately excluded more than 300 black applicants. The policy barred applicants who had been arrested, but not convicted of a crime, and denied employment to others who were convicted of minor offenses.
Quote:
EEOC officials have said, for example, that an old drunken driving conviction may not be relevant to a clerical job, but a theft conviction may disqualify someone from working at a bank.

Julie Schmid, acting director of the EEOC's Minneapolis office, said the EEOC recommends that employers consider the nature and gravity of offenses, the time that has passed since conviction or completion of a sentence, and the nature of the job sought.
While I can see the EOCC's point in looking at what the charges were and blah blah blah, I still don't see how it was Pepsi's fault that out of their applicants, more blacks and hispanics were arrested/ convicted of crimes and therefore unfit for employment under their old policy.

It seems that criminals are becoming a "race" of their own...

Thoughts?

January 11th, 2012, 06:30 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If I were Pepsi, I'd be fighting that. That is crazy.
January 11th, 2012, 07:18 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree. How is not hiring someone due to their arrest record tied to their race?
January 11th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Unless they were only excluding candidates based upon crimes that are statistically commited by a particular race I'm not sure how they are knowingly practicing racism.

They are in the wrong, however, for excluding candidates who were arrested or convicted for crimes that are irrelevant for the job.

Quote:
Using arrest and conviction records to deny employment can be illegal if it's irrelevant for the job, according to the EEOC, which enforces the nation's employment discrimination laws.

January 12th, 2012, 09:51 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Team Jamie. I see the wrong with excluding applicants just for being arrested. What if it was a false arrest?

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

January 12th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This type of thing is probably why employers don't tell you the reason why you didn't get hired. Pepsi could have avoided the whole thing by giving a simple "you were not fit for the position".

January 12th, 2012, 12:11 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
This type of thing is probably why employers don't tell you the reason why you didn't get hired. Pepsi could have avoided the whole thing by giving a simple "you were not fit for the position".
By law, if there is a background check, they are required to provide you with the results of that check when asked.

I don't agree with denying someone for a job if there has been an arrest that never resulted in a conviction. But I wouldn't want to hire someone with a record, whether it was related to the job or not. If someone is willing to break the law, I will have a harder time trusting them to abide by the rules and regulations of the company as well.
January 12th, 2012, 12:53 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
By law, if there is a background check, they are required to provide you with the results of that check when asked.

I don't agree with denying someone for a job if there has been an arrest that never resulted in a conviction. But I wouldn't want to hire someone with a record, whether it was related to the job or not. If someone is willing to break the law, I will have a harder time trusting them to abide by the rules and regulations of the company as well.
But what if that conviction was many years ago, say 10+, do you really think they wouldn't have changed after that long?

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

January 12th, 2012, 01:14 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
But what if that conviction was many years ago, say 10+, do you really think they wouldn't have changed after that long?

Things beyond 7 years ago generally don't even show up. Anything that shows up in an employment background criminal record check will either be fairly recent or pretty serious.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search