War Video's released to the public

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 11th, 2012, 07:30 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do we as the taxpaying public have a right to see any and all video's of war and war acts?

Are there some materials that should be kept from the public due to lack of context and experience or training.

Should we be shown MORE video's of the acts of war?

Most of this prompted by the video alleging Marines urinating on dead enemy bodies.

January 11th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, I think that Americans need to know what is going on. My feelings are that more people may not be as quick to jump into the war mindset. I think citizens need to know what they are sending troops off to do. I think that we have a right to know what we are doing and funding. We have the right to know how our troops are being treated and how our troops are treating others.

I absolutely am disgusting by the Marines' actions. My husband is a Marine and he has more respect in himself and his country than to act like that in uniform. Real men do not need to piss on dead enemies bodies. We are suppose to be "better" than them, but the urinating on bodies makes us just like them IMO. They represent America when they put that uniform on and those Marines do not represent me while they were doing that. Allegedly.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

January 12th, 2012, 06:37 AM
L-SBB's Avatar Bébé Cowgirl
^^ ditto everything LeAnn said plus I think that giving everyone a better understanding of the environment & stress our soldiers work in may also help people understand better some of what they struggle with when they return home.

I think it's way too easy endorse a nameless, faceless war when you don't have to see any of the destruction, death and general horror of the situation. And it's telling that in all recent wars that the WH administration in power at the time went/goes to great lengths to restrict media access not just in war zone but even photographing the coffins returning home of the soldiers we've lost (that rule was in place for almost 2 decades before it was changed in 2009 - but still limited in part).

Savannah Stylin!

Remembered Forever with Love
10/13/2008 (@9w2d) 10/18/2011 (@8w5d) 2/12/2012 (@4w3d) 8/13/2012 (@10w3d)
January 12th, 2012, 03:18 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I don't know about the right to see or not see, but it's my general opinion that Americans don't need to see every single video or picture associated with a war. I remember having a similar conversation with the video that was released last year of soldiers acting like it was a video game and shooting at an unmarked car that drove into a war zone.

1. Soldiers are trained to do and understand things differently while in a war zone than the average American watching a vid on CNN or Fox munching on their beer and popcorn and making judgments about what the soldiers did. Some things are absolutely not right of course - like pissing on the dead enemy bodies - but some things are - like shooting at the unmarked car - and they can be disturbing for non-trained people.

2. It decreases moral. L-SBB said something about death and destruction and yada - that's what ALL wars are. It's hard to look at the actual cause and say yay or nay to a war when you're seeing a kid lose his parents because they attempted to bomb a marketplace and got instead shot by US troops on CNN.
January 12th, 2012, 05:30 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ I agree with the above. I don't think we need to see all videos. I also think that if it is something that can actually hurt our troops, then it should be kept private.
January 12th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Eh I'm on the fence with this one. I think that transparency with the media is essential to who we are as a nation.

But I also think that unless a person has served in combat it really is near impossible to understand the types of disassociation they need to do so they can get their job done and hopefully come out on the other end somewhat okay.

January 13th, 2012, 07:01 AM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
Agree with the last 3 posters. No matter what videos/pix are shown we will NEVER know what War is like unless you've either gone through it or lived in the aftermath of it... sacrificed a family member, etc....

So many movies today and games show so much violence that I think society as a whole has becmoe somewhat desensitized to the real thing. Those bodies look like a thousand other bodies that our average kid has been exposed to playing COD or watching the latest action flick.

Just my .02
January 13th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
But, as tax payers that fund this war, shouldn't we know what we are doing as long as we do not compromise the safety of our troops?

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

January 13th, 2012, 02:51 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I think what we're doing should be available to a point. Some information is sensitive and needs to be kept private - like exact locations of some troops and etc. So, no, just bc we pay taxes doesn't give us the right to know every single piece of classified information.
January 13th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Taxpayers fund bio-chemical research. Should we have open access to any information pertaining to that? Most video could compromise the safety of troops in some way either by showing location, weaponry, squad numbers, rank etc.

Even pulling troop safety out of the picture, I think that the general public, even soldiers who have never served in theater, will know the mentality behind many actions they have to do. Video without the understanding of context will never look good on those being videoed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Baby View Post
But, as tax payers that fund this war, shouldn't we know what we are doing as long as we do not compromise the safety of our troops?

January 13th, 2012, 05:47 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluffy Baby View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by glasscandie View Post
I think what we're doing should be available to a point. Some information is sensitive and needs to be kept private - like exact locations of some troops and etc. So, no, just bc we pay taxes doesn't give us the right to know every single piece of classified information.
I agree with both of these

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search