Should Sesame Street feature breastfeeding?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 13th, 2012, 04:56 AM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I just saw this article posted on another board, and think that this is a FABULOUS campaign. What do the rest of you think? Is this the kind of issue that Sesame Street should be featuring?

Sesame Street Breastfeeding: Moms Push To Bring Nursing Back To TV Show

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
January 13th, 2012, 06:02 AM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
Sure why not? I dont see what the big deal is if that is done.
January 13th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I see no issue with it. Breastfeeding is natural and what better way to re-normalize it in our society than to have it part of everyday culture in young children.

They did a great job presenting racial equality to children in a way that they could understand. Why not this issue too?

January 13th, 2012, 06:24 AM
foxfire_ga79
Love it. Shared the link on my FB.
January 13th, 2012, 06:46 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I don't see why not.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

January 13th, 2012, 07:32 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Yeah! That would be cool.

January 13th, 2012, 07:58 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's fine, but it's a kids show after all, they don't have to make a whole months worth of episodes about it. They can do it the same way they show different races of children. Work in one of the main character moms (I don't watch sesame street so I don't know how many there is) and have her be the breastfeeder. This way kids will not see it is something being shoved in their face, but it will also be natural, just like being gay (since Burt and Ernie are ).

January 13th, 2012, 08:08 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it would be great if they did it but I don't see why people are campaigning for it. If SS wants to do it, let them decide to do it. Don't try to strong arm them into doing it by making a big campaign and then putting it on SS to say yes / no. These kind of campaigns frustrate me.
January 13th, 2012, 11:39 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Are they going to show cloth diapering too & tell why it's better than disposable?

I don't have an issue with this at all but I do wonder when does it end? How many agendas can there be in 1 pre-school tv shows. When does it infringe on my right as a parent to teach my child what I want to teach them? And when I want to teach them.

And I wonder if a 3 year old will remember that when she's 25 & say "I saw that on Sesame Street so I'm going to do it".

If it's so when kids see a woman breastfeeding, they just go oh that's natural because so & so did it on Sesame Street, I'm ok with it. If they use it as an agenda to push breastfeeding as the only option then I'm not.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
January 13th, 2012, 11:59 AM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
Oh me. Breastfeeding isn't a freaking agenda to push. It's something that your body was designed to do, that has been made into a taboo thing to some people. This might normalize it from a young age so it won't be seen as "weird" or "indecent" to anyone.

It's like showing a pregnant woman. Our bodies do it and kids are curious about it. Doesn't mean they are pushing for kids to have kids one day. It's just a subject that can be hard to explain to kids that are still clueless and Sesame Street has a way of explaining things to them that some parents don't bother to ever explain.

January 13th, 2012, 12:41 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jillian* View Post
Oh me. Breastfeeding isn't a freaking agenda to push. It's something that your body was designed to do, that has been made into a taboo thing to some people. This might normalize it from a young age so it won't be seen as "weird" or "indecent" to anyone.

It's like showing a pregnant woman. Our bodies do it and kids are curious about it. Doesn't mean they are pushing for kids to have kids one day. It's just a subject that can be hard to explain to kids that are still clueless and Sesame Street has a way of explaining things to them that some parents don't bother to ever explain.
Amen!

And I totally remember Maria breastfeeding on Sesame Street. Just sayin.

January 13th, 2012, 02:07 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sesame street already pushes a get healthy agenda. Are we mad that they are telling our kids that it's best to eat their veggies and get lots of exercise? No? Then how is this any different? Oh, it's not. There needs to be more done to normalize bf'ing in this culture. The lack of bfing in this country is a full blown public health crisis I think sesame street is a good place to start talking about how it is normal, healthy and natural, so by the time the kid has their own baby, they don't have to think twice about what is the best way to feed their baby.
Oh, and reading those comments on that blog made me my head nearly exPlode. Comparing bf'ing to taking a dump?!?!?! Really!!!!???? And that is no doubt coming from the people who loudly defended Katy perry going on SS with her boobs half exposed in a dress because, hey, they're just boobs!

Last edited by fluffycheeks; January 13th, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
January 13th, 2012, 05:09 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's not an agenda. We need to bring up BFing rates, especailly past 6 months, and this is a great way to start. I'm all for it.
January 13th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
I just think that the way Maria explained it in the quote from the article is so absolutely perfect: "I feed her with bottles sometimes, too, but I like this way better because then I get to hug her more." How completely non-offensive, and simple, and child-appropriate. THIS is Sesame Street's main strength -- they can take super-difficult concepts, like racism and tolerance, that adults have a difficult time with, and make them manageable for kids. It's why this is and will always be the best of the kids' t.v. shows, as far as I'm concerned (except for possibly Mr. Rogers).

Anyway, I think that it is super-important for kids to be exposed to images of breasts being used in a normal, non-sexual way FIRST, before they see the sexualized images of the breast that they will inevitably be exposed to later. In a tribal society, or a caveperson society, or whatever, kids would grow up seeing adult women nursing their babies all the time. They would know that that's what breasts are for. Later, they would come to understand that breasts are also sexual, but they would realize that this is a secondary purpose. In modern society, we have it backwards. The first encounter that most children have with images of the breast is through overtly sexual advertisements, and they grow up thinking that this is the breast's primary purpose. Then, as adults, a lot of women just can't get over the feeling of "the willies" they get from the thought of breastfeeding a child. It's not their fault, it's just a natural consequence of the media they were exposed to.

The other day, I was reading a review of a breastfeeding book on Amazon, and in the reviews section there was a quote from a woman who said that she was a physician and that when she had her first child she "knew intellectually, because of her medical training, that she should breastfeed, but psychologically, the thought repulsed her." I think that this is the way many women feel, although not all of them are willing to voice it. We need to do whatever we can to counter these misleading messages from the media. Children's television programs, such as Sesame Street, are a great place to start.

I'm actually surprised that other chidren's shows haven't done things like this already. Sid the Science Kid, for example, has had episodes educating children about vaccinations and other 'controversial' issues. It seems like a pretty obvious idea for them to feature breastfeeding there as well. Why haven't they?

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
January 13th, 2012, 06:50 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I thought I heard Dora or Diego had BFing on once recently?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search