Log In Sign Up

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close... should it be protested?


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
January 14th, 2012, 07:21 AM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kingston, NY
Posts: 5,057
This was in my local paper..
Film angers woman who lost sister on 9/11 (video, trailer) - DailyFreeman.com

I find it a bit ridiculous... there have been lots of movies about 9/11. What is wrong with this one? I actually thought it looks good. I also dont think we should be censoring anything from 9/11. We need to remember.

What do you think? Should they not have made it?
__________________

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!





Reply With Quote
  #2  
January 14th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,040
Having obviously not seen the movie, I can't picture Tom Hanks in ANY movie that would not give respect to the material that is being presented. I think, and could be wrong, that 9/11 is the backdrop to the film more so than this is a film chronicling 9/11.

Movies are made depicting tragedies all the time. I hope none of those who are planning to protest paid money to watch Schindler's List, Pearl Harbor or any of the other large release movies based upon large scale tragedy.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #3  
January 14th, 2012, 09:50 AM
Linzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 465
Send a message via MSN to Linzie
This is not her tragedy. This is a country's tragedy. From the trailer, I felt it was more of the kids journey to come to terms with losing his father, and helping other people who had lost loved ones in the event.

They shouldn't, and don't need her permission to make movies or whatever on something that affected the entire nation.

And as for using actual footage of the planes, unless she owned all the footage ever shot, she has no right to say what can and can't be used in the making.

There were other movies made about this, "Rein Over Me" "United 93"... Why isn't she jumping up and down about those?

I feel this is one of those "I don't like it, so I want it banned and illegal to do anything like this again."

In the interview footage they said something about getting a signed release from the people who had lost loved ones before making this movie. That's just silly.
__________________



Last edited by Linzie; January 14th, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
January 14th, 2012, 10:33 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 26,364
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linzie View Post
This is not her tragedy. This is a country's tragedy. From the trailer, I felt it was more of the kids journey to come to terms with losing his father, and helping other people who had lost loved ones in the event.

They shouldn't, and don't need her permission to make movies or whatever on something that affected the entire nation.

And as for using actual footage of the planes, unless she owned all the footage ever shot, she has no right to say what can and can't be used in the making.

There were other movies made about this, "Rein Over Me" "United 93"... Why isn't she jumping up and down about those?

I feel this is one of those "I don't like it, so I want it banned and illegal to do anything like this again."

In the interview footage they said something about getting a signed release from the people who had lost loved ones before making this movie. That's just silly.
that made me shake my head too.


Both Hanks and Bullock are amazing actors who would ensure that the absolute best was done. I think protesting it is silly.
__________________
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~


Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew&Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel&Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d, Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d, Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d, Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Me: Hashi's, PCOS, Insulin resistant, Adenomyosis and Polyps.
175mcg Synthyroid, 1500mg Metformin
Colposcopy = CIN1+CIN2 cells
D&C/Hysterscopy/Polypectomy - August 21st - Follow up Sept 4
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015. Vitamins started August 2nd
Weight loss goal #1 - 10% body weight 23.4lbs - accomplished July 13 2014
Reply With Quote
  #5  
January 14th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 8,785
Well, I agree with everybody else. No debate here, lol.
__________________
Leann <3 Hector
My trio: Alyssa 7, Tristan 4.75, Gavin 1.5

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS



Rest In Peace Jennifer <3



Reply With Quote
  #6  
January 14th, 2012, 12:10 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,317
Stuff like this annoys me.... stop whining about everything people! ><
__________________
~Alicia~
Reply With Quote
  #7  
January 14th, 2012, 12:20 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,980
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
Stuff like this annoys me.... stop whining about everything people! ><
While I agree with everyone else above, I have to say that we should still be sensitive to the fact that this will be hard for many people, especially those that lost loved ones. While I don't agree with her, I think the "stop whining about everything" is a little much. It is her loss, and her suffering. We can't tell her how she should feel about it, or how she should react.

Obviously, she legally has no leg to stand on, but I think we should also understand that it's a hard issue. Someone else above said that this is "America's Tragedy". I understand what you mean, but it is a very personal tragedy to those that lost someone close to them. It's isn't a tragedy that is spread out among all American's, because to them, it's the same as if their loved one died in a single tragedy. The outcome would still be the same.

Again, I'm not saying that they shouldn't make the movie, or that anyone should have to sign releases, but we need to recognize that this tragedy is so much more for some people.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #8  
January 14th, 2012, 12:41 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
While I agree with everyone else above, I have to say that we should still be sensitive to the fact that this will be hard for many people, especially those that lost loved ones. While I don't agree with her, I think the "stop whining about everything" is a little much. It is her loss, and her suffering. We can't tell her how she should feel about it, or how she should react.

Obviously, she legally has no leg to stand on, but I think we should also understand that it's a hard issue. Someone else above said that this is "America's Tragedy". I understand what you mean, but it is a very personal tragedy to those that lost someone close to them. It's isn't a tragedy that is spread out among all American's, because to them, it's the same as if their loved one died in a single tragedy. The outcome would still be the same.

Again, I'm not saying that they shouldn't make the movie, or that anyone should have to sign releases, but we need to recognize that this tragedy is so much more for some people.
No one is telling her how she should feel about it. I'm just tired of someone being sensitive about something and running to FB to make demands of boycotts and groups for boycotting or running to news outlets to share their outrage. If you don't like something, don't like it. The only thing I think about people who do this kinda stuff is that they want their 15 minutes... guess shes gettin it now.
__________________
~Alicia~
Reply With Quote
  #9  
January 14th, 2012, 02:42 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 5,500
While I understand how watching the commercials is something she just cannot handle, boycotting seems over the top. Also, the publicity from this probably got some people who had never heard of the movie interested in watching it.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
January 14th, 2012, 03:06 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,980
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
No one is telling her how she should feel about it. I'm just tired of someone being sensitive about something and running to FB to make demands of boycotts and groups for boycotting or running to news outlets to share their outrage. If you don't like something, don't like it. The only thing I think about people who do this kinda stuff is that they want their 15 minutes... guess shes gettin it now.
Yeah, she lost her sister... I'm sure she's worried about her 15 minutes of fame.
The "stop whining about everything" seems to me like you think this is something small that shouldn't be whined about. I beg to differ. I think some people might feel differently if it were their loved one. To them, it would be just like having a movie made about a family member that was shot. Single families are upset by that all the time.
We act as if American's own the sorrow of 9/11, but each of those people were an individual with a family.

I don't disagree with the movie being made, I'm just saying that for a lot of people this is so much more personal.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #11  
January 14th, 2012, 05:23 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
While I agree with everyone else above, I have to say that we should still be sensitive to the fact that this will be hard for many people, especially those that lost loved ones. While I don't agree with her, I think the "stop whining about everything" is a little much. It is her loss, and her suffering. We can't tell her how she should feel about it, or how she should react.

Obviously, she legally has no leg to stand on, but I think we should also understand that it's a hard issue. Someone else above said that this is "America's Tragedy". I understand what you mean, but it is a very personal tragedy to those that lost someone close to them. It's isn't a tragedy that is spread out among all American's, because to them, it's the same as if their loved one died in a single tragedy. The outcome would still be the same.

Again, I'm not saying that they shouldn't make the movie, or that anyone should have to sign releases, but we need to recognize that this tragedy is so much more for some people.
Completely agree.
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #12  
January 14th, 2012, 05:54 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,679
On one hand I get it. If this was a single tragedy about a single family's loss/murder, and someone made a movie about it without asking permission, we might all be outraged.

I can see how it might be incredibly difficult for her, as she DOES see this as murder. Her sister was murdered. In these terms, I can see why she might feel ownership or feels she has a claim to this trauma and wants permission.

I'm not agreeing with her, nor am I calling it reasonable, but I can see how sharing the death of a loved one who was tragically murdered feels like a real sense of invasion into your family's life and loss, as well as a loss of control over how it's portrayed publicly.
__________________
"I will make it through this because it is for her and for her, I will do anything. I am not brave, I am not strong, I am just Rhiannon’s mom". Our TTC/Adoption/Pregnancy Blog: Jump Over The Rainbow

Reply With Quote
  #13  
January 14th, 2012, 06:06 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,679
I also imagine other public tragedies like the Oklahoma City Bombing. Public- Check. Terrorism Activity- Check. Public massive loss of life- Check.

Yet I'd still hope that if I had a child die in the bombing, that at least someone would NOTIFY me first that they plan to make the movie and use a likeness of my family member or recreate situations where my family member, or child, died. It must be really sad to be forced to re-experience that all the time without at least having some kinds of heads-up about it. She did say that at least just put a warning before the trailer. That would be enough for her.

I think this comment makes great sense why she's so outraged
Quote:
“To be suddenly confronted again with the murder of your sister while you’re enjoying a football game in your living room is devastating.”
She just sounds like she needs more grief work for sure, but I don't think she's crazy for having these feelings.
__________________
"I will make it through this because it is for her and for her, I will do anything. I am not brave, I am not strong, I am just Rhiannon’s mom". Our TTC/Adoption/Pregnancy Blog: Jump Over The Rainbow

Reply With Quote
  #14  
January 14th, 2012, 08:02 PM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
9-11-2001 affected many people. Those who loved and lost directly and indirectly. I'm sorry that she lost her sister and that sucks incredibly bad, but at the same time, I don't think any film should have to get signatures to publish a PUBLIC tragedy. If they were using her family's name, then sure. But they are not. She's making it about her family because of grief and I get that. However everyone else was grieving too. But NOT everyone else is having an issue with a movie being made they may not even watch. Movies are made to be watched by those who want to watch them, but no one forces anyone to watch them. Certainly, if she feels that this is too much for her, can make the choice not to watch the film. I do agree putting a disclaimer up before the commercial would be a kind thing to do so that those who are not wishing to see it can have time to turn away and do something else. Something like "The following commercial is based on the events of 9-11 and may be distressing for some viewers. Viewer discretion is advised" It only takes a couple seconds to make that and play right before the commercial. They can do it with Power Point, so it's not even that expensive! But permission to actually make the movie and/or trailer? No. I don't think that's necessary unless it's specifically violates someone's privacy.
__________________
Lynn
Mom to many



1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
Reply With Quote
  #15  
January 14th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,679
I totally agree, permission, no. But some kind of announcement maybe? I don't think it's THAT unreasonable to be really honest.
__________________
"I will make it through this because it is for her and for her, I will do anything. I am not brave, I am not strong, I am just Rhiannon’s mom". Our TTC/Adoption/Pregnancy Blog: Jump Over The Rainbow

Reply With Quote
  #16  
January 14th, 2012, 08:30 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
Yeah, she lost her sister... I'm sure she's worried about her 15 minutes of fame.
The "stop whining about everything" seems to me like you think this is something small that shouldn't be whined about. I beg to differ. I think some people might feel differently if it were their loved one. To them, it would be just like having a movie made about a family member that was shot. Single families are upset by that all the time.
We act as if American's own the sorrow of 9/11, but each of those people were an individual with a family.

I don't disagree with the movie being made, I'm just saying that for a lot of people this is so much more personal.
I just don't see the point in taking it to the press. There have been a gazillion movies made about tragedies on a personal level, on a state level, on a country level and on a global level. Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List, Zodiac, Monster, Platoon, Milk, there was even a movie made about the DC snipers. People deal with the loss of a family member or friend for many different reasons. My dad committed suicide, should I start calling all of my local news stations and form a group on FB boycotting the movie industry's depiction of suicide? No. It was a sad day for all of us, some more sad than others but at the end of the day, I'm just over people complaining about things that they can attribute to being a personal thing. I get that shes upset and I'm not discounting her feelings - the only part that annoys me is the outcry to boycott the movie. Quite honestly, I'm surprised it took this long for a movie to come out about it.
__________________
~Alicia~
Reply With Quote
  #17  
January 14th, 2012, 09:50 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,679
The empathy is astounding. Shouldn't be surprised I guess.
__________________
"I will make it through this because it is for her and for her, I will do anything. I am not brave, I am not strong, I am just Rhiannon’s mom". Our TTC/Adoption/Pregnancy Blog: Jump Over The Rainbow

Reply With Quote
  #18  
January 15th, 2012, 02:00 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 26,364
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Remember me ended in the WTC disaster.... does Robert Pattinson get a free pass from being boycotted cause he's.. well.. RPatz?
__________________
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~


Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew&Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel&Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d, Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d, Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d, Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Me: Hashi's, PCOS, Insulin resistant, Adenomyosis and Polyps.
175mcg Synthyroid, 1500mg Metformin
Colposcopy = CIN1+CIN2 cells
D&C/Hysterscopy/Polypectomy - August 21st - Follow up Sept 4
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015. Vitamins started August 2nd
Weight loss goal #1 - 10% body weight 23.4lbs - accomplished July 13 2014
Reply With Quote
  #19  
January 15th, 2012, 08:30 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
The empathy is astounding. Shouldn't be surprised I guess.
I am empathetic. Maybe you missed a line or two in my post, ya know where I said it was a sad day for all of us, some more than others and that I'm not discounting her feelings - its the taking it to the press for a boycott that annoys me. Unless of course, you are referring to a different situation in which case you may want to proceed cautiously because it sounds like you are toeing the line to breaking the rules of the super secret club house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ View Post
Remember me ended in the WTC disaster.... does Robert Pattinson get a free pass from being boycotted cause he's.. well.. RPatz?
From what I can tell, this movie starts with the WTC - it isn't all about it. Boycotts are the result of someone complaining loud enough to be heard, apparently no one yelled loud enough about that movie. I just don't get it. I really don't.
__________________
~Alicia~
Reply With Quote
  #20  
January 15th, 2012, 09:56 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,679
Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
I am empathetic. Maybe you missed a line or two in my post, ya know where I said it was a sad day for all of us, some more than others and that I'm not discounting her feelings - its the taking it to the press for a boycott that annoys me. Unless of course, you are referring to a different situation in which case you may want to proceed cautiously because it sounds like you are toeing the line to breaking the rules of the super secret club house.



From what I can tell, this movie starts with the WTC - it isn't all about it. Boycotts are the result of someone complaining loud enough to be heard, apparently no one yelled loud enough about that movie. I just don't get it. I really don't.
What the hell are you even talking about Alicia? Super secret rules bevause I referred to a lack of empathy in all your posts on this topic. Eh, pointless not even worth attempting with you. You've posted things publicly on your FB, that explain your behavior via your self diagnosed personality disorder, not some super secret club.
__________________
"I will make it through this because it is for her and for her, I will do anything. I am not brave, I am not strong, I am just Rhiannon’s mom". Our TTC/Adoption/Pregnancy Blog: Jump Over The Rainbow

Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:49 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0