Log In Sign Up

Susan G Komen cuts funding to Planned Parenthood


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree22Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #21  
February 3rd, 2012, 11:21 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 8,999
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeToTheMax View Post
Pro-abortion means to favor the legalization of abortion. I know many people and organizations that are pro-aboriton.

Proabortion - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Just because it's a word in the dictionary doesn't make it not offensive. The word n***** is in the dictionary too but I don't use it & find it offensive. The preferred term of today is Pro-Choice.
__________________
Kris

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
Reply With Quote
  #22  
February 3rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 26,319
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Well I'm glad they're reversing the decision. "Most people" was a line of BS, I didn't see many "we're in favor of their decision" articles out there to counter the "this is BS" ones that we've seen several times a day since.

Pink guns? I just see that as another political move, one they were denying they were having any part of.

and how can they say it wasn't political. The fact that the new person they've hired to run the company said this in her campaign speech.

Quote:
"I will be a pro-life governor who will work tirelessly to promote a culture of life in Georgia. ... I believe that each and every unborn child has inherent dignity, that every abortion is a tragedy, and that government has a role, along with the faith community, in encouraging women to choose life in even the most difficult of circumstances. ...since I am pro-life, I do not support the mission of Planned Parenthood."
Did they think that her plans while running for office would change when she was running theirs?
__________________
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~


Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew&Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel|&Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d, Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d, Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d, Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Me: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant
175mcg Synthyroid, 1500mg Metformin
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015
Attempting vitamins for remainder of 2014
Weight loss goal #1 - 10% body weight 23.4lbs - accomplished July 13 2014

Last edited by plan4fate; February 3rd, 2012 at 11:38 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
February 3rd, 2012, 12:02 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,317
They didn't reverse the decision - they decided to give PP the money they had promised for the year and then PP will have to reapply for grant money each year. I'm glad that board members at SGK are speaking out against the decision to take away the money, shows that some of them still have some integrity.
__________________
~Alicia~
Reply With Quote
  #24  
February 3rd, 2012, 10:49 PM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
A friend of mine said "Cancer doesn't care which side of the Abortion Debate someone is on"....it's a shame that someone would try to limit or eliminate prevention for cancer simply because a particular clinic or person doesn't share their views on abortion. Screwed up society these days. Saw the update they are changing their minds: I'm ALMOST CERTAIN that somehow this has to do with money!
__________________
Lynn
Mom to many



1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
Reply With Quote
  #25  
February 3rd, 2012, 10:56 PM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeToTheMax View Post
Pro-abortion means to favor the legalization of abortion. I know many people and organizations that are pro-aboriton.

Proabortion - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
I'm pro YOUR choice. I'm NOT pro-abortion. BIG difference. I think abortion has to stay legal because of the ramifications making it illegal would have on those who need them (i.e. victims of rape/incest or those who have a severe medical condition with themselves or baby and they absolutely have to have one). If someone simply doesn't wish to have a baby, while the decision to abort isn't MY choice, I don't own their lives or uterus so I don't think that just because someone says, "Yes it should be legal" as an option to other women, it automatically defines them as "PRO ABORTION". As a matter of fact, I myself do NOT advocate/agree with abortion...but only you (or whoever) have to live with it, not me. Plus, I believe in prevention (where applicable)...I also believe in parents not having children they don't want so they can suffer for years on end from abuse or worse yet? Them becoming Nancy Grace Stories
__________________
Lynn
Mom to many



1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
Reply With Quote
  #26  
February 4th, 2012, 06:15 AM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,134
If you're pro choice, essentially you are pro abortion as well. It just sounds better saying pro choice.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
February 4th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey... Where's Perry? View Post
If you're pro choice, essentially you are pro abortion as well. It just sounds better saying pro choice.
No, that's absolutely false. I don't think you know what pro choice really means. It means I believe in the woman's right to choose for herself, NOT that I agree with her choices.
__________________
Lynn
Mom to many



1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
Reply With Quote
  #28  
February 4th, 2012, 09:02 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
I'm pro YOUR choice. I'm NOT pro-abortion. BIG difference. I think abortion has to stay legal because of the ramifications making it illegal would have on those who need them (i.e. victims of rape/incest or those who have a severe medical condition with themselves or baby and they absolutely have to have one). If someone simply doesn't wish to have a baby, while the decision to abort isn't MY choice, I don't own their lives or uterus so I don't think that just because someone says, "Yes it should be legal" as an option to other women, it automatically defines them as "PRO ABORTION". As a matter of fact, I myself do NOT advocate/agree with abortion...but only you (or whoever) have to live with it, not me. Plus, I believe in prevention (where applicable)...I also believe in parents not having children they don't want so they can suffer for years on end from abuse or worse yet? Them becoming Nancy Grace Stories
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
No, that's absolutely false. I don't think you know what pro choice really means. It means I believe in the woman's right to choose for herself, NOT that I agree with her choices.
Totally agree with you 100%. I believe a woman has the right to choose even though morally I don't agree with abortion. I would never have one but I don't think the government has the right to tell a woman she has to continue a pregnancy she doesn't want.
__________________
~Alicia~
Reply With Quote
  #29  
February 4th, 2012, 02:59 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,678
I think it's very easy to be anti-abortion itself and still be very pro choice. I absolutely can see how I can favor less restriction on choices and still not agree with all the available choices out there. I still think everyone has the right for the choice, but agreeing with right to choose anything doesn't make me favor all the options there are.

I agree with pro-choice in many arena's, not just in pregnancy situations, so this line of thinking follows many avenues, not just pregnancy. I am a future mom to (hopefully) an adopted child, and I cannot conceive and carry on my own. The child I may adopt one day often comes from a situation where mom decided between adoption and abortion. And I STILL support the right for any single woman to choose.

I also have to agree though that as a private entity, they get the right to monetarily support any organization they wish. Public outcry helped them examine if they would lose their own monetary support from the public, and they reversed a decision for this year. Amazingly, I also support their right to choose to cut funding, even if I disagree with their choice to do so.

I can't scream at SGK for not funcing an organization offering different choices for pregnancy, and forcing them to support an agency that offers choices, when I am not going to extend the same to them as well. They get their own right to choose as I would not choose myself. It's fairly hypocritical to demand they support the same causes we might personally support.
__________________
"I will make it through this because it is for her and for her, I will do anything. I am not brave, I am not strong, I am just Rhiannon’s mom". Our TTC/Adoption/Pregnancy Blog: Jump Over The Rainbow

Reply With Quote
  #30  
February 4th, 2012, 05:13 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,287
I think if people thought for even a moment that their decision to yank funding had anything at all to do with not actually supporting the fact that PP provides abortions, AND they went about it in a much better mannner, there wouldn't have been an outcry at all. Sure some folks would still be pissed, and might say so, but it wouldn't have become such a huge ordeal a mere few hours after the decision was made-that snowballed and only got worse.

Nothing at all wrong with them not supporting PP because of their beliefs on abortion(or anything else, really). But there is a right way and a wrong way to go about doing what they wanted to do. They didn't even attempt to do it in a manner any sane person would deem acceptable, imo. That alone tells people there were/are ulterior motives at play and it really had absolutely nothing at all to do with PP being "pro" anything. Even people that have been staunch supporters of SGK through some of their dumbest actions, were appalled at the stunt they pulled(and are still appalled that they retracted the way they did, as quickly as they did, trying to lay blame on everyone but themselves and their poor decisions). That's the only reason they retracted at all. Because their biggest supporters were ready to yank THEIR funding, lol. They don't make it either, without the support from everyone else around the world. They can't make it on their own anymore than PP can.

I'd probably feel a bit better about them if they'd grow a pair and admit when they make jackrabbit mistakes. But that's too big of a request for them, and coming from a simpleton like me(since they seem to believe they are above all) probably wouldn't mean jack. SGK is no longer the foundation it once was, and that's not such a good thing anymore. It's just a political being at this point. Eventually their bad actions are going to outweigh their good if they don't knock it off.
Fluffy Baby likes this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #31  
February 4th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
No, that's absolutely false. I don't think you know what pro choice really means. It means I believe in the woman's right to choose for herself, NOT that I agree with her choices.

Ok. I am prochoice and agree with the choice that she has the ability to make. Who am I to say you have a choice but feel like you made the wrong choice while trying to stay neutral about the whole thing by saying I'm "prochoice." It sounds like you are promaketherightdecisionbecauseifyoudontiwilljudgey oudeepdowninsidebutimstillagoodpersonbecauseisuppo rtgivingyouthechoice!
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #32  
February 4th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 8,785
I don't care who SGK funds, but if it was political, it just rubs me the wrong way. I do not support this charity and definately never will.

As for the pro choice/pro abortion crap. I am pro choice, but that is just a legal term for me. I do not judge or care what others do with their body. I do not want restrictions on any woman's choice. It starts us on a backslide. I would never have an abortion, but who am I to say somebody else can't.
__________________
Leann <3 Hector
My trio: Alyssa 7, Tristan 4.75, Gavin 1.5

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS



Rest In Peace Jennifer <3



Reply With Quote
  #33  
February 4th, 2012, 08:51 PM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
I haven't supported Komen since they sued other organizations for saying "for the cure." If I'm making donations to cancer treatment and prevention I sure as hell don't expect that money to be spent on frivolous law suits.
I really don't care about this decision because I'm not a huge supporter of PP either. If only they would leave abortions completely to private clinics and focus on health screenings, treatments and birth control I would support them 100%.
There's not much motivation for them to not provide abortions though. Abortions are profitable. They make more money from providing an abortion than from handing out birth control. Just like OB's make more money from a C-Section than from a vaginal birth, so they're not hesitant about performing the C-Section.
I may be wrong, but I believe that big politicians and corporations who say they are pro choice are only that way because of the money. As long as abortion is legal, it can be taxed as income from the doctors who perform it. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, and these doctors and politicians want to make sure they get paid their pound. Abortion is a good source of revenue.
I don't think politicians who have a pro choice stance really give a crap about individual women, or else they would do more to help women not even get into a situation where they have to make that choice in the first place.
Anyway, hopping down off my soap box. Summing it up with I don't like Komen, I don't like PP, I don't care what Komen does because they don't get my money anymore, and I wish PP would quit abortions and get more aggressive with preventing unwanted babies from being conceived, not preventing them from being born.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
February 4th, 2012, 09:03 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
^ The problem with that though is not all women can afford to go to a private clinic. PP is there for those who can't afford the alternative and need them. Since PP is normally for low income people, I assume that they aren't profiting that much on abortions. Not all Doctors make more money on a c-section. Many hospitals here the Doctors are on a salary, so they make the same amount of money if a woman has a completely unmedicated/intervention birth, one that has all the medical technology being used, or one that is a c-section.
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #35  
February 4th, 2012, 09:17 PM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
If PP would pay more attention to birth control then not as many low income women would need abortions to begin with!

Besides,
‘Planned Parenthood Pushes Abortion for Profit’: Ex-Abortion Facility Director | LifeSiteNews.com

Quote:
Abby Johnson, the ex-director of a Planned Parenthood abortion facility who recently made national headlines after converting to the pro-life position, has revealed that Planned Parenthood pushes employees to strive for more abortions to boost profits.
Quote:
She said that she grew uncomfortable with Planned Parenthood when they told her to try to bring more abortions through the door because of the economic downturn.

"Every meeting that we had was, 'We don't have enough money, we don't have enough money - we've got to keep these abortions coming,' " Johnson said in an interview with Fox News. "It's a very lucrative business and that's why they want to increase numbers."
There's plenty more where that came from, just Google PP's abortion profits.

Like I said, if these people cared about women more than money, they would do more to prevent the pregnancy from occurring, not be so eager to end the pregnancy.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
February 4th, 2012, 09:22 PM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
ETA--Just wanted to add one more....

Newsvine - Planned Parenthood Uses Tax Dollars to Turn a Profit

Quote:
In fact, the number of abortions performed by planned parenthood has more than doubled in the last ten years, a figure eerily similar to their increase in funding, culminating in more $363 million in taxpayer money going to Planned Parenthood this last year.
Quote:
Planned Parenthood claims that 3% of their business is abortions, and yet, 37% of their revenue was generated last year by abortion centers, as opposed to 28% from private donations and 33% from government grants.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
February 4th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Texas
Posts: 17,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
I think it's very easy to be anti-abortion itself and still be very pro choice. I absolutely can see how I can favor less restriction on choices and still not agree with all the available choices out there. I still think everyone has the right for the choice, but agreeing with right to choose anything doesn't make me favor all the options there are.

I agree with pro-choice in many arena's, not just in pregnancy situations, so this line of thinking follows many avenues, not just pregnancy. I am a future mom to (hopefully) an adopted child, and I cannot conceive and carry on my own. The child I may adopt one day often comes from a situation where mom decided between adoption and abortion. And I STILL support the right for any single woman to choose.

I also have to agree though that as a private entity, they get the right to monetarily support any organization they wish. Public outcry helped them examine if they would lose their own monetary support from the public, and they reversed a decision for this year. Amazingly, I also support their right to choose to cut funding, even if I disagree with their choice to do so.

I can't scream at SGK for not funcing an organization offering different choices for pregnancy, and forcing them to support an agency that offers choices, when I am not going to extend the same to them as well. They get their own right to choose as I would not choose myself. It's fairly hypocritical to demand they support the same causes we might personally support.

I should clarify that when I said any single woman to choose, I meant as in every, all, everyone, not single as in not married. I meant as in every single woman, not that married women shouldn't be allowed to choose. I support the choice for every woman, married, single, etc.

I also should clarify as I was re-reading that I was speaking on a meta-level about being pro rights and not agreeing with the choice of abortion. I DO agree with the choice on multiple accounts. I DO think that there are times that it is the right choice for women out there. As I was re-reading, it read as if I didn't think anyone should choose it ever, but should be allowed to choose.
__________________
"I will make it through this because it is for her and for her, I will do anything. I am not brave, I am not strong, I am just Rhiannon’s mom". Our TTC/Adoption/Pregnancy Blog: Jump Over The Rainbow

Reply With Quote
  #38  
February 5th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey... Where's Perry? View Post
Ok. I am prochoice and agree with the choice that she has the ability to make. Who am I to say you have a choice but feel like you made the wrong choice while trying to stay neutral about the whole thing by saying I'm "prochoice." It sounds like you are promaketherightdecisionbecauseifyoudontiwilljudgey oudeepdowninsidebutimstillagoodpersonbecauseisuppo rtgivingyouthechoice!
You can give someone a choice (like yourself being pro-choice) and still not agree with those choices. You will feelit's wrong because to you it might BE wrong. Wait till the kids make choices you don't like. You'll still support them. You love them. You won't like or agree with what they do all of the time, though.

I had a friend get an abortion. I didn't think what she did was right. She used it as birth control and I had given her my opinion about it (she did ask, to be fair). She chose her own path, however. I had no say, it's her life. I'm not anyone to tell her that she can't do it. I still don't have to like what she did or agree with her in order to support her after the fact. I HATED what she did. But, part of being a friend was keeping my mouth shut and letting her cry when she needed to.

Your last sentence is just an attack *therefore a judgement, because you didn't like what I said. If you were there with me when my friend had her abortion, you'd know that I didn't judge her for what she did. She knew I didn't agree with it prior to doing it...she never felt uncomfortable coming to me for support, though.
__________________
Lynn
Mom to many



1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
Reply With Quote
  #39  
February 5th, 2012, 08:06 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
Providing more BC doesn't mean more women will want it. Usually places like that operate on a demand and supply bases. So if women aren't seeking as much BC as previously, then they aren't going to keep as much BC on hand.

So I googled PP and abortions and most of what I saw was opinion pieces, not actual facts. Not all PPs do abortions, and I find it hard to believe that PP workers would push a mom into an abortion. It may have happened before at one place, but I doubt it's a common thing. Sounds more like a pro-life agenda.
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #40  
February 5th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
You can give someone a choice (like yourself being pro-choice) and still not agree with those choices. You will feelit's wrong because to you it might BE wrong. Wait till the kids make choices you don't like. You'll still support them. You love them. You won't like or agree with what they do all of the time, though.

I had a friend get an abortion. I didn't think what she did was right. She used it as birth control and I had given her my opinion about it (she did ask, to be fair). She chose her own path, however. I had no say, it's her life. I'm not anyone to tell her that she can't do it. I still don't have to like what she did or agree with her in order to support her after the fact. I HATED what she did. But, part of being a friend was keeping my mouth shut and letting her cry when she needed to.

Your last sentence is just an attack *therefore a judgement, because you didn't like what I said. If you were there with me when my friend had her abortion, you'd know that I didn't judge her for what she did. She knew I didn't agree with it prior to doing it...she never felt uncomfortable coming to me for support, though.
I suppose.
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:41 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0