Susan G Komen cuts funding to Planned Parenthood

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree22Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 1st, 2012, 10:31 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Komen Cuts Planned Parenthood Grants Months After Arrival Of New VP, Who Is Abortion Foe

Over the past five years, the Komen organization has given Planned Parenthood health centers the funds to provide nearly 170,000 clinical breast exams to low-income and uninsured women. But now, amid pressure from anti-abortion lawmakers and organizations, Komen has made the decision to cut off hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants to Planned Parenthood.

What do you think about this decision by the Susan G Komen organization? Does it change your opinion of the organization as a whole? Do you think the organization will lose donations (about 90% of which comes from the public) based on this change? Should one person's personal beliefs be able to take away a service which helps so many who are unable to get these screenings without PP?
February 1st, 2012, 12:17 PM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This hurts my heart a little bit. I used to love the Susan G. Komen Foundation. It and the Relay for Life are the two charities I get amped up about and would donate every dollar I have to if I could. My dad died of cancer and I've lost teachers and friends to breast cancer. More than I care to count (or it seems to me coming from a very small town). In 2010, I found out that Susan G. Komen was suing the pants off of people for using the "for the Cure" saying. Susan G. Komen Foundation Elbows Out Charities Over Use Of The Word 'Cure'
It seems like such a pointless venture, and my respect for them and what they are trying to do, or at least started out trying to do, has gone down quite a bit in the last two years. It's not like they're not all working towards the same cause. Cures for cancer. Why do they need to fight about it? Why can't they just work with others towards the same worthwhile venture?? As for the original question, yes this does lessen my opinion of them. Planned Parenthood is not JUST abortion. I'm not *for* abortion, but that's my personal choice, others are entitled to THEIR personal opinions without me berating them for it. Planned Parenthood is so much more. It does so many good things, and provides good services for women who otherwise wouldn't be able to afford it. I have had to rely on Planned Parenthood before. They did my annual exam AND helped me find a birth control I could afford. They would have done STD screening as well, but I turned that down because of my 5 year monogamous relationship. I needed them then and I was grateful for them. Susan G. Komen has gotten so big that they feel like they can run over everyone. It's sad to me.
*Leslie* and tiredmom like this.

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
February 1st, 2012, 01:39 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
I was just reading this in an email thinking "this'll be on the board when I get there".

I'm honestly disgusted. But I have been with this specific foundation since the first lawsuit for using "cure".

But this is just crazy. Gah... I'm sputtering in my head.. I hate politics in healthcare, really hate it. I was happy to read that two Senators (both women) spoke against this.

Quote:
On her campaign blog (fire up the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine because, curiously, these pages don't exist anymore), Handel wrote: "I will be a pro-life governor who will work tirelessly to promote a culture of life in Georgia. ... I believe that each and every unborn child has inherent dignity, that every abortion is a tragedy, and that government has a role, along with the faith community, in encouraging women to choose life in even the most difficult of circumstances. ...since I am pro-life, I do not support the mission of Planned Parenthood."

Handel even "promised to eliminate funding for breast and cervical cancer screenings provided by" Planned Parenthood, according to Jezebel.
Who Is Behind Susan G. Komen's Split From Planned Parenthood? - Nicholas Jackson - Health - The Atlantic

apparently it involves cervical screening too. *mutters expletives* who cares where the screening is being done, as long as women can get access to affordable screening procedures before it is too late. Hospitals perform abortions too don't they? Will they cut the funding to any hospital who performs abortions next?

I think I'll refrain from pink merchandise this year and find another cancer charity.
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
February 1st, 2012, 02:40 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I have not been a fan of this foundation for a long time, despite the tremendous amount of good it has done, can do, and will do. There comes a time, sometimes, when the bad will outweigh the good. They're headed down that road at a pretty fast pace.
I stopped supporting them a long time ago. They continue to follow the same trend many other people and organizations do, allowing idiotic politicians dictate who they can and cannot help, I find that appalling, and don't want to support that. They've changed a lot over the years and no longer stand for what I personally believe they ought to, or they originally set out to do. They've become too corporate and that's just wrong, imo.
I'm not at all surprised to see this.
It's just not the same foundation it once was.
February 1st, 2012, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ View Post
I think I'll refrain from pink merchandise this year and find another cancer charity.
American Cancer Society's Relay for Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

February 1st, 2012, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready_for_BabyMcD View Post
American Cancer Society's Relay for Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My mom is a participant in the Relay for Life for the last few years, since my dad was diagnosed with Cancer. She does it in Canada though, since that's where I'm originally from. I made it to the field just in time to see the luminaries the year dad died (my aunt was in labor so I was back and forth) was a very touching ceremony. There was 22 luminaries with his name on them, only one was from us.. nice to know he was so very loved

Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

February 1st, 2012, 07:11 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
RFL is very near and dear to me, it's also international which is wonderful.
I participate in their events every year.
I also create things for them in virtual worlds and raise money there for them year-round. Our online season starts in March and we've already got almost the entire new product lines and builds finished, haha.(and most won't be released until April, May and June)
It's one of my favorite charities. I've had the unfortunate blessing (how's that for an oxymoron, lol) of benefiting from that charity firsthand as well. They do so much good for so many people worldwide, I highly recommend them!
Sorry I could ramble on about them all day long.
February 2nd, 2012, 10:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ View Post
My mom is a participant in the Relay for Life for the last few years, since my dad was diagnosed with Cancer. She does it in Canada though, since that's where I'm originally from. I made it to the field just in time to see the luminaries the year dad died (my aunt was in labor so I was back and forth) was a very touching ceremony. There was 22 luminaries with his name on them, only one was from us.. nice to know he was so very loved
That's how it was the year my dad died as well.

February 2nd, 2012, 10:26 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
I'll differ in opinion. For the most part, I think it's fine. The Susan G. Komen Foundation is a private organization. They have the ability to choose to support whichever establishments they choose and allocate their funds in the areas they most want to support. I understand that they money that had been, in the past, allocated to Planned Parenthood was given for specific reasons, not for abortions; however, by giving money for those areas, it frees up some of Planned Parenthoods other funds to go towards abortions. It's not a direct funding of abortions, but indirectly, it really does aid Planned Parenthood in offering them. The foundation is based on life, so I can absolutely understand their desire to avoid associations with abortions, regardless of what my own personal stance on abortions may be.

The money not going to Planned Parenthood will be used for other organizations. They aren't saying they will no longer assist in funding free or low cost mamograms to women in need. They WILL. They are only choosing a new outlet that is more alinged with their beliefs and their mission. The article cited was very biased on that matter, and this statement (from the author) really bothered me:
Quote:
supports crisis pregnancy centers, which are unregulated, Christian-run operations whose main mission is to convince pregnant women not to have abortions.
It is entirely incorrect. Yes, many Christian-run crisis pregnancy centers exist, and they typically advertise themselves as such. However, there are also many other cirsis pregnancy centers that are NOT Christian-run. They may not offer abortions; they may not even be pro-abortion; and they may not assist a pregnant women in getting an abortion (or they MAY do all or some of these things); but they WILL provide all the information necessary for an informed decision and will NOT pressure anyone in a direction they do not want to go. This I know for sure. If the Susan G. Komen Foundation wishes to support centers like these instead of Planned Parenthood, then I'm not seeing a problem. Women in need still have access to medical care, they just need to go somewhere else to find it.

February 2nd, 2012, 11:45 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeToTheMax View Post
. they may not even be pro-abortion
I don't know anyone or any organization that is pro-abortion.
tiredmom and K.A.T like this.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
February 2nd, 2012, 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by My2miracles View Post
I don't know anyone or any organization that is pro-abortion.
Pro-abortion means to favor the legalization of abortion. I know many people and organizations that are pro-aboriton.

Proabortion - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

February 2nd, 2012, 02:48 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeToTheMax View Post

It is entirely incorrect. Yes, many Christian-run crisis pregnancy centers exist, and they typically advertise themselves as such. However, there are also many other cirsis pregnancy centers that are NOT Christian-run. They may not offer abortions; they may not even be pro-abortion; and they may not assist a pregnant women in getting an abortion (or they MAY do all or some of these things); but they WILL provide all the information necessary for an informed decision and will NOT pressure anyone in a direction they do not want to go. This I know for sure. If the Susan G. Komen Foundation wishes to support centers like these instead of Planned Parenthood, then I'm not seeing a problem. Women in need still have access to medical care, they just need to go somewhere else to find it.
That's the crux of the problem. Not all women truly can. PP exists on a much larger scale than most other organizations. Just because you personally know of some other places women can go, does not mean everyone does. Nor does it mean they are accessible for the majority of women in today's society. The reality is, they simply are not accessible.
We have a PP here-in this county that is, not this town. We used to have another place that offered free and low cost assistance to women and men in need. It no longer exists. That's the way many places are going these days too. They simply can't survive on their own without assistance. When the donations dry up, or trickle down, they're forced to close eventually. There just aren't as many places as there used to be, or should be, for both women and men to get the care they need.

SGK pulling their funding out will have a greater impact than many think. I do believe they have every right to fund whatever they want to fund. I actually don't have a problem with that. I do take issue with them switching sides, as it were, halfway through the game. I find it beyond odd. I do take issue with them doing this so publicly too. because now they're on some sort of political campaign, and I find that to be quite stupid. They could have easily just pulled funding and walk away if what PP does truly does not fit their criteria for a place they wish to support. But they didn't, and they didn't choose that route, for a reason. People have supported SGK for years. For whatever reason some may very well believe that places they no longer want to support, aren't worthy of their donations anymore either. It's a vicious cycle that only begins with SKG and ends in PP losing a lot more in donations than just those funds. I find that sad.

I may not like all that PP offers, or does. But I do like that they offer options for the women, girls and even men and boys, who need them. I don't want to see their funding cut anymore than it already has. Many organizations rely pretty heavily on donations. To think an organization wanted to make it public knowledge and make a pretty big to-do about pulling out(heh, ironic statement there...sorry my immature side speaking) tells me they are simply pulling yet another "we are mighty hear us rawr" stunt. PP hasn't change what it does or provides for years, other than updating to current issues of course. Why all of a sudden have these things become an issue for SGK? They've been supporting them for a long time now.
The powers that be at SGK have turned what was once an amazing organization into just another politically driven corporate being that puts itself above others. They're killing the entire reason the foundation was ever created and I find that sad too. They do a LOT of good. They could do a heck of a lot more, if they stopped losing focus on why they are where they are and what their mission statement really means.
They've lost a lot of support over the recent years because of their actions. That should have been a loud enough wake up call that they really need to change. I think they have earplugs in though. I wonder how many times they believe they can hit the snooze button and still get support from people.
February 2nd, 2012, 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
That's the crux of the problem. Not all women truly can. PP exists on a much larger scale than most other organizations. Just because you personally know of some other places women can go, does not mean everyone does. Nor does it mean they are accessible for the majority of women in today's society. The reality is, they simply are not accessible.
We have a PP here-in this county that is, not this town. We used to have another place that offered free and low cost assistance to women and men in need. It no longer exists. That's the way many places are going these days too. They simply can't survive on their own without assistance. When the donations dry up, or trickle down, they're forced to close eventually. There just aren't as many places as there used to be, or should be, for both women and men to get the care they need.
Exactly, Planned Parenthood isn't everywhere. You said the independent Crisis Pregnancy Centers cannot survive without assistance, but SGK is offering that assistance. It doesn't have to be Planned Parenthood. Just because an organization is the largest in a specific field does not necessarily make it the best organization or even the best organization to support.

Quote:
SGK pulling their funding out will have a greater impact than many think. I do believe they have every right to fund whatever they want to fund. I actually don't have a problem with that. I do take issue with them switching sides, as it were, halfway through the game. I find it beyond odd. I do take issue with them doing this so publicly too. because now they're on some sort of political campaign, and I find that to be quite stupid. They could have easily just pulled funding and walk away if what PP does truly does not fit their criteria for a place they wish to support. But they didn't, and they didn't choose that route, for a reason. People have supported SGK for years. For whatever reason some may very well believe that places they no longer want to support, aren't worthy of their donations anymore either. It's a vicious cycle that only begins with SKG and ends in PP losing a lot more in donations than just those funds. I find that sad.
I think you hit the nail on the head. It was done so publicly BECAUSE it was a political move. The new president has an anti-abortion agenda (from the article). In fact, there is a lot of negative press towards Planned Parenthood lately, especially as the presidential campaign moves forward. SGK is either publicly forwarding their anti-abortion agenda OR they are doing it for the publicity and the severance with PP. I'm sure SGK has publicity agents looking out for how these decisions will affect the Foundation. Cutting ties with PP could be a very strategic move for them. Yes, it might be very negative towards PP, but it might not be. Honestly, I could easily see it having a reverse effect. Many people are upset and may increase or start supporting PP, knowing that this funding was cut. I think it's too early to say. Regardless, as mean as it sounds, it's not SGK's responsibility to support PP and keep them in business if they aren't in agreement with their practices.

Quote:
I may not like all that PP offers, or does. But I do like that they offer options for the women, girls and even men and boys, who need them. I don't want to see their funding cut anymore than it already has. Many organizations rely pretty heavily on donations. To think an organization wanted to make it public knowledge and make a pretty big to-do about pulling out(heh, ironic statement there...sorry my immature side speaking) tells me they are simply pulling yet another "we are mighty hear us rawr" stunt. PP hasn't change what it does or provides for years, other than updating to current issues of course. Why all of a sudden have these things become an issue for SGK? They've been supporting them for a long time now.
The powers that be at SGK have turned what was once an amazing organization into just another politically driven corporate being that puts itself above others. They're killing the entire reason the foundation was ever created and I find that sad too. They do a LOT of good. They could do a heck of a lot more, if they stopped losing focus on why they are where they are and what their mission statement really means.
They've lost a lot of support over the recent years because of their actions. That should have been a loud enough wake up call that they really need to change. I think they have earplugs in though. I wonder how many times they believe they can hit the snooze button and still get support from people.
New VP, new board, current negative press towards PP. I have a hypothesis that SGK may have had donations being at risk or even decreasing as a result of the PP support, and public removing that support may be a way to increase or keep funding for their organization. Again, just a hypothesis, though.

February 2nd, 2012, 07:54 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
It definitely doesn't have to be PP they support. Not one little bit.

But when PP is the only thing an area has, and a large portion of their donations start trickling away(as for many, they already have), there is a huge problem. I would hope that people would put a positive spin on it and NOT yank their donations too, simply based on what SGK is doing. Unfortunately, that probably won't be the case(though I do hope I am proven quite wrong on that). Even all the negativity in the short term, towards PP is going to have a bigger impact than people think. I can say that with 100% certainty. It already has. Will it be the end of PP? Of course not. But SKG could have done this in a more dignified way and not made it some political thing. I'd think better of them if they chose the high road.
No one HAS to donate to, or assist anyone. I'd be the last person that would suggest people donate to a cause that doesn't fit with their ideals. So I don't fault them for yanking donations or support. I fault them for the circus they've turned it into, the mess they've created because of their decisions, and their lack of empathy towards all it WILL affect. Not because I think they should support all women, regardless of their choices, or anything like that. But because I believe they've made themselves into an entity people support, for many good reasons, and how they go about things will affect more people than they are willing to realize.
A lot of people, and organizations don't support PP. That's their choice, I respect that. What I don't respect is supporting an organization and making promises, then later taking those promises back and making a public spectacle of everything. Don't wish to continue funding? Then don't. Walk away like an adult. Don't announce it to the world and try to make it about something it's clearly not about at all. It's going to backfire. But while we wait for it to backfire, SGK isn't really going to suffer(not that I think they should, because I know the good they have accomplished, and can). PP will suffer, the patients that use their services will suffer. Smaller communities and areas that only have PP and no other place to turn, will suffer. Is that all SGK's fault? No, not entirely. They shouldn't be solely responsible for supporting PP. But they're holding a heck of a lot of blame for what's bound to happen-at least in the short term, for PP and all of it's patients. They clearly didn't think through what their actions could potentially cause.
PP gets enough bad publicity without the aid of some foundation like SGK(which is already proving to have lost it's vision) throwing them under the bus.

I'd love to see them turn this around and make something positive out of the mess they've created. I don't believe for one second they are going to support other organizations in place of their current PP support. I won't believe it until I see it. I know better than to take them seriously at this point. They dug that grave themselves though. This sort of antic seems to be their specialty now and it's going to be their downfall too. People already thought they were whackadoodles for the whole "cure" thing. Hopefully this will show people the whack hasn't gone anywhere and is still very much alive and kicking there.
February 2nd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Susan G. Komen Top Officials Resign As Backlash Gains Steam

talk about back fire. SGK officials resigning, $400k in donations made to planned parenthood in 24 hrs. NYC Mayor donating 250k to PP

Quote:
Komen maintains that pressure from anti-abortion groups and the recent hiring of vice president Karen Handel, who ran for governor of Georgia on an anti-Planned Parenthood platform as a Republican in 2010, had nothing to do with the decision. Founder Nancy Brinker went on the defensive Thursday during an appearance on MSNBC, saying that the decision was a result of a number of congressional and state investigations into Planned Parenthood, and that most people actually applauded the decision to defund the family planning provider.
Most people?

February 2nd, 2012, 11:51 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Most people my butt, lol.
Those folks are a prime example of the nitwits we're stuck with in this world and why accommodating them is helping absolutely no one. They shouldn't even be left in charge of dressing themselves, much less making important decisions like this, lol.
February 3rd, 2012, 07:27 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think its very hypocritical of them to claim to support the breast cancer cause and yet, they pull the funding that helps hundreds of thousands of women a year get their annual screenings. Yes, there are other small organizations out there but PP is definitely the giant of them all and is the most well known. To me, its class warfare paid for by the religious right wing in the country and its sad. I've learned a lot about SGK over the last few days and the stuff I'm learning is startling. I had considered doing a 3 day walk this year, that is no longer going to happen.
February 3rd, 2012, 08:32 AM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
They just announced on yahoo's main page that SGK has reversed their decision to cut PP funding.

I would post a link but they dont have one available yet.

Here is a link I found...
Komen reverses decision on grants to Planned Parenthood | KING5.com Seattle

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
February 3rd, 2012, 08:57 AM
MissLoki's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsLMB View Post
They just announced on yahoo's main page that SGK has reversed their decision to cut PP funding.

I would post a link but they dont have one available yet.

Here is a link I found...
Komen reverses decision on grants to Planned Parenthood | KING5.com Seattle
Yes, but not before they announced this:

Susan G. Komen Foundation Maintains Apparent Partnership With Handgun Seller

I'd hate to be their PR person right now!

February 3rd, 2012, 09:16 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
So glad they reversed their decision. But I just love how a partnership with a handgun seller is preferred over PP. Sad all around.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search