Dad shoots laptop...Overkill? Just for publicity? What do you think?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree150Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 12th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Keepin' it real!
Video: Father Shoots Kid's Laptop for Facebook Post (and More!) | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

I think this dad may have done this JUST FOR PUBLICITY. I am all for disciplining your child, however, this shooting a computer over something she vented about was so over the top, that I think it is for attention that he did that and no other reason. Kind of like the mother who was letting her kid (and probably encouraging it!) throw flour around...and then put it on u-tube. Or anyone else who video tapes themselves doing an action, then pretending that it leaked and it wasn't supposed to get out. Is it just me or is anyone else on to these attention w**res? lol

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
February 12th, 2012, 08:42 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Personally, I commend him for doing it. This wasn't her first offense and he warned her the next time would be worse. I actually showed the video to my teen who was in shock when he started shooting the laptop. I should have recorded her reaction, it was classic. I'm sure I got my point across.

The way I look at it is that is was his money to spend on his child and he was free do what he pleased with it. If that meant destroying it to get a point across, then so be it. It's better than taking the frustration out on her physically. Sometimes it's the shock factor that gets to the child.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

February 12th, 2012, 08:43 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think he did it to prove a point and I'm pretty sure the point got across.
Fluffy Baby and AtomicMama like this.
February 12th, 2012, 08:46 AM
Keepin' it real!
^ Ok...but WHY video tape yourself doing such a thing and then let it get out if not for the attention? For one, he at the very least is probably under investigation via CPS. Who knows, if he can do that and tape it, the theory that CPS could have is that he can do worse things off tape. So, to me, seems kind of set up.

February 12th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Why would he be under investigation with CPS? For shooting his own property in an area that could not cause harm to others? You can't be serious.

Who cares why he filmed it? Perhaps he, and those he knows, find it humorous. Or maybe it was just what he presented at face value and filmed to show his child what happened to the computer as a result for continuing those types of posts on facebook. Sometimes when your kid is acting like an @$$hat you have to find the funny in it your you'll loose your shat.
Fluffy Baby likes this.

February 12th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Why would he be under investigation by CPS? He didn't do anything to her physically. He didn't even cuss her out as she did him. He didn't reference her by name in the video. He put it on her FB to show her friends that she does have consequences to pay for her actions. It was one of her friends that made it go viral, not him. Did you listen to the entire video? He clearly stated he was posting the video on her page.

Now, unless he didn't have a permit to have a gun, then I can see some sort of investigation. But it's not abuse to shoot up her (technically his) laptop. I highly doubt CPS is going to waste their time investigating a man who just wants to teach his child that she does have to face the consequences of her actions.
Fluffy Baby, AtomicMama and MrsLMB like this.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)

February 12th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Keepin' it real!
^ BECAUSE, he SAID she was interviewing with CPS. While he may be defending himself in this statement, there WILL be an investigation, regardless of whether or not we agree with that. He had to know he opened himself up to that...

I'm not saying the kid didn't have it coming, clearly I did say I'm all for discipline...I just am curious why people take the over-the-top things they do and video tape it, put it on line and then pretend like it's not for the publicity.

The statement he made:
"Now I'm letting my daughter have her interview with Social Services, so they too can be satisfied that I don't yell at her, beat her, traumatize her, lock her in a closet without food, deprive her of basic human rights, make her cut the grass with scissors, hunt for her meals in the wild with only a spork, or otherwise fail to provide for my daughter," said Jordan. "She's great. She's strong. And apparently she's handling it better than some of you are."

Taken from this link: Mad Dad Shoots Daughter's Laptop Over Facebook Post - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

February 12th, 2012, 09:11 AM
I didn't read that story. I saw, not read, the video. Had no idea that social services had/was getting involved. I still think it's a waste of their time and resources. They need to investigate those who truly abuse their kids, not parents who use their brains to teach their kids a lesson. That makes me shake my head.

ETA: It sounds like someone, not the child, got their panties in such a wad that they filed a complaint with CPS.
Fluffy Baby likes this.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

Last edited by K.A.T; February 12th, 2012 at 09:15 AM.
February 12th, 2012, 09:14 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
^ BECAUSE, he SAID she was interviewing with CPS. While he may be defending himself in this statement, there WILL be an investigation, regardless of whether or not we agree with that. He had to know he opened himself up to that...

I'm not saying the kid didn't have it coming, clearly I did say I'm all for discipline...I just am curious why people take the over-the-top things they do and video tape it, put it on line and then pretend like it's not for the publicity.

The statement he made:
"Now I'm letting my daughter have her interview with Social Services, so they too can be satisfied that I don't yell at her, beat her, traumatize her, lock her in a closet without food, deprive her of basic human rights, make her cut the grass with scissors, hunt for her meals in the wild with only a spork, or otherwise fail to provide for my daughter," said Jordan. "She's great. She's strong. And apparently she's handling it better than some of you are."

Taken from this link: Mad Dad Shoots Daughter's Laptop Over Facebook Post - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver
Haven't looked into the whole story yet, but that quote is incredibly insensitive. Some people have been through those things, and he seems to be almost joking and condescending about it.

Ok, I just watched the video. A few thoughts:
I found him to be incredibly arrogant and annoying.
I'm sure there are three sides to what she is actually expected to do, his, hers, and the truth.
While her facebook post was disrespectful and rude, I found him to be completely over the top as well.
She's 15. She's not an adult, and we shouldn't expect that kids that age should always act as mature as an adult. They are not miniture adults, they are kids.
She obviously wanted attention and wanted to be seen as cool by her friends, most teens want that.
Who hasn't got mad at their parents and said things that were mean? Who hasn't run to their room and cursed their parents under their breath? Kids these days deal with things a lot differently, when venting is instantaneous and you get "support" from all of your "friends" to validate your feelings.

I have no doubt that he wanted attention from all this. How do you not know that posting this on her facebook would blow up in our new viral world.

When he talked about the chores vs. stuff he buys her part, it was irritating. It's obvious that these people are at least fairly wealthy. You raised the spoiled brat, so don't act surprised when she becomes entitled. Plus, he brought her into this world and is expected to provide for her. He was acting like this was a chore, and like she owed him. Sure, she should be respectful to her parents, but something tells me he isn't always the nicest person in the world. He seems a bit harsh, imo.

Honestly, I think this mans ego is HUGE, and he's an attention *****.

TTC our Rainbow Baby to complete our family.

Last edited by *Leslie*; February 12th, 2012 at 09:31 AM.
February 12th, 2012, 09:16 AM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
I think if you need to resort to using a gun that's a sign that you're a crappy parent. Guns should never be used to teach a child a lesson unless it's about gun safety.

I'm not the type of parent who believes in stooping to the child's level. He was angry about her venting about them online. So he went and did the same thing. That's like hitting a child to teach them that hitting is wrong.

I think he mostly did this for publicity. He got exactly what he wanted except that CPS is now involved.

CPS is involved because destroying the belongings of a loved one is a sign of abuse. Many parents who abuse their children or spouses destroy their things as well. It's emotional abuse.
*Leslie* and GSLynn like this.

February 12th, 2012, 09:27 AM
Keepin' it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post
I think if you need to resort to using a gun that's a sign that you're a crappy parent. Guns should never be used to teach a child a lesson unless it's about gun safety.

I'm not the type of parent who believes in stooping to the child's level. He was angry about her venting about them online. So he went and did the same thing. That's like hitting a child to teach them that hitting is wrong.

I think he mostly did this for publicity. He got exactly what he wanted except that CPS is now involved.

CPS is involved because destroying the belongings of a loved one is a sign of abuse. Many parents who abuse their children or spouses destroy their things as well. It's emotional abuse.
I forgot about this snippet of truth. This is definitely a sign, so maybe there is a lot of validity as to why CPS is involved, regardless of if a neighbor called or someone online...

Symptoms of Mental Abuse | eHow.com

February 12th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ2 View Post

Really? I see it as him using a tool to prove a point. He told her that if she did it again, there would be consequences. Now she knows what the consequences are. We aren't talking about an 8 year old here... we are talking about an almost 16 year old who obviously knows what she is doing and was trying to hide the rant from her parents. He didn't stoop to her level, he responded to her post and put if on her FB wall to show her friends that her parents have enough respect for themselves not to let the rantings of a 15 year old go ignored or unpunished. He didn't post the video on you-tube, he didn't make it viral, someone got ahold of it an it exploded into an internet sensation - like a bazillion videos before it. He destroyed his own property so I think its pretty ridiculous that CPS is involved. In the follow up video, he even said his daughter saw the video and wasn't traumatized by it. Some kids need wake up calls in the form that conventional parenting doesn't cover (obviously by the fact that she was previously grounded for 3 months for almost the same offense and it didn't work) and this dad did what he needed to do.
AtomicMama likes this.
February 12th, 2012, 09:33 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
Really? I see it as him using a tool to prove a point. He told her that if she did it again, there would be consequences. Now she knows what the consequences are. We aren't talking about an 8 year old here... we are talking about an almost 16 year old who obviously knows what she is doing and was trying to hide the rant from her parents. He didn't stoop to her level, he responded to her post and put if on her FB wall to show her friends that her parents have enough respect for themselves not to let the rantings of a 15 year old go ignored or unpunished. He didn't post the video on you-tube, he didn't make it viral, someone got ahold of it an it exploded into an internet sensation - like a bazillion videos before it. He destroyed his own property so I think its pretty ridiculous that CPS is involved. In the follow up video, he even said his daughter saw the video and wasn't traumatized by it. Some kids need wake up calls in the form that conventional parenting doesn't cover (obviously by the fact that she was previously grounded for 3 months for almost the same offense and it didn't work) and this dad did what he needed to do.
Right, like " a billon videos before it". Not surprising to anyone, and he shouldn't be surprised either.

Further, why not donate the laptop? Why destroy it? I agree with the above, guns have no place in teaching a lesson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
So when an abusive husband destroys his wife's cell phone, that isn't suspected domestic violence?

TTC our Rainbow Baby to complete our family.
February 12th, 2012, 09:38 AM
Keepin' it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211;25611035[U
]Right, like " a billon videos before it". Not surprising to anyone, and he shouldn't be surprised either.[/U]

Further, why not donate the laptop? Why destroy it? I agree with the above, guns have no place in teaching a lesson.

So when an abusive husband destroys his wife's cell phone, that isn't suspected domestic violence?
Agreed. I think he KNEW this would get online. Anyone who videotapes anything should know, if they're bright enough, that it's not perceived as "private." And just HOW did someone else get their hands on this super-private video to upload? He probably did it himself and is misleading everyone. He's in IT, not hard for him to be able to know exactly how this works.

February 12th, 2012, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
Right, like " a billon videos before it". Not surprising to anyone, and he shouldn't be surprised either.

Where did I say that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
Agreed. I think he KNEW this would get online. Anyone who videotapes anything should know, if they're bright enough, that it's not perceived as "private." And just HOW did someone else get their hands on this super-private video to upload? He probably did it himself and is misleading everyone. He's in IT, not hard for him to be able to know exactly how this works.
HE put it on HER FB. He said she has something like 550 friends, so its likely that one of these 500+ people saw the video and shared it which got the ball rolling.
February 12th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Undomesticated Housewife's Avatar Master(de)bater
She is 15. It wasn't actually HER laptop. My dad would have done the same thing, probably, and he wasn't abusive. I also don't get why everyone is so insistent that he should have donated the laptop. Why? People throw away things every day that could be donated, recycled, sold.. It isn't his responsibility to donate it and unless you (general you) have NEVER trashed a single usable good, he shouldn't be criticized for it.

The fact that CPS is involved is absolutely RIDICULOUS. Shooting the laptop you allowed your kid to use because she chose to slander your name to everyone she knew on Facebook and used filthy language using that same laptop, isn't abuse. Poor kid. She no longer has a laptop..and she has to wash dishes.

Maybe she'll think twice before posting crap about her parents on the interwebz from now on.
February 12th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I stand corrected on CPS involvement but I see their involvement as a bit of a stretch. Getting rid of ones property is a sign of abuse but it can also be a sign of parenting. If the child is unable to use the property given to her in an appropriate manner than it should be taken. I'm sure everyone on here had an item taken away from them at some point as a teenager.

Was he over the top with it? Sure but that just may be how the mechanics of that family works.

February 12th, 2012, 10:12 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
I won't commend him for shooting it. I will commend him for following through with what he said he would do. I dislike guns that aren't for feeding yourself because they frighten me. I think if the guy wanted ratings and praise, he'd have blow the thing up.

I wish I had it as easy as that girl did. Sweep floor? wipe counter? dishwasher? make own bed? bring laundry down? Make a cup of coffee once in a while? Oh the agony!

She's a spoiled kid who didn't listen to what she was told, and there were consequences. I wish he hadn't used the gun, but I'm glad he followed through, and I'm glad he posted the video so her friends might think twice about doing it to their own parents.
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
February 12th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
The dad is a jacka$$ and tried to teach his daughter a lesson by being a hypocrite 10 fold.
February 12th, 2012, 01:16 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to frgsonmysox Send a message via MSN to frgsonmysox Send a message via Yahoo to frgsonmysox
I think he is awesome, and handled himself exceptionally well.
~Beth~ Wife to my Airman Chris, and mommy to: Anthony Nathaniel (8/31/04), Anastasia Fae (8/01/06), Baby C (lost on 10/12/07), David Cillian (7/31/08), Charles George (4/29/10), and Alan Christopher (2/22/12)

My BLOG - A Day In The Life of a Freg (it's a little bit of everything!)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search