School tosses out childs lunch and replaces with chicken nuggets...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree52Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would hope that the parents who have children with food allergies would have already taken care of discussing it with the school/daycare when they enrolled their children.

This is more of a "control" issue to me in that the govt. is deciding what parents should pack for school lunch.
Fluffy Baby likes this.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
February 16th, 2012, 09:53 AM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well I don't always trust a school's judgement. After telling my Daughters school we Can't give her Dairy products they gave her broccoli and cheese soup because " they drained the broth off. I know they Don't always check the labels and I have had to go through this every day.
February 16th, 2012, 10:11 AM
smika's Avatar Super Mommy
I actually looked up the menu for the school district, and in addition to the Chicken Nuggets, the girl was given rice pilaf, stir fry veg. a bread stick & apple crisp.

EDD: September 5, 2014
February 16th, 2012, 10:22 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by smika View Post
I actually looked up the menu for the school district, and in addition to the Chicken Nuggets, the girl was given rice pilaf, stir fry veg. a bread stick & apple crisp.
But she didn't eat any of that, she only ate 3 chicken nuggets. Her mom packs healthy food that she knows her daughter would eat. I do the same. I'm not going to send steamed brussel sprouts because I know my kids won't eat it, but I do send apple slices, carrot sticks, etc because I know they will. Not only is this completely Big Brother governing at it's worst, it's a waste of two lunches, the one her mom packed that she most likely would have eaten, and the one the school forced upon her which she didn't eat. Parents should be able to dictate what their own children are fed. Period.
February 16th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by challowell View Post
Well I don't always trust a school's judgement. After telling my Daughters school we Can't give her Dairy products they gave her broccoli and cheese soup because " they drained the broth off. I know they Don't always check the labels and I have had to go through this every day.
I don't always trust the school's judgement either but I am more uncomfortable with the govt. deciding what my child should/should not eat at school.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
February 16th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't care what the school offered in addition to or in exchange for the items that were sent in for the girl from her parents. They should not be double checking my parenting choices when it comes to meals, or frankly, anything that does not equate to abuse.

It is not their job to police my parenting decisions. Period. They should not be placing their hands on my child's lunch to "check" for ANYTHING. Help her open something=fine. Tell me that I am no longer allowed to dictate what my child eats=not fine.

February 16th, 2012, 11:05 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So apple crisp was considered the fruit then? I normally consider apple crisp a dessert.
February 16th, 2012, 12:13 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Apple crisp was a desert last I checked. A fruit given by a school should have any added sugar, if it's going to be part of their fruit food group.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

February 16th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Its fine to go to the school and complain but the problem is that if they are following state/federal guidelines, it doesn't accomplish much. If that is the case, its best to find out where the elected officials stand on these matters and vote accordingly.

February 16th, 2012, 03:35 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
Parents should be able to dictate what their own children are fed. Period.
Exactly, and that's why peanut bans piss me off.
February 16th, 2012, 04:49 PM
KimberlyD0
After seeing some of the crappy lunches a lot of moms send I can see why they stepped in. So many kids in the class I work in come to school with nothing but cookies, pudding, chips, pop, and crap. No fruit, no veg, no meat, no cheese. Its sad when Pizza day is the healthiest meal for some of these kids.

I wanted to cry yesterday when we made vegetable soup and this one little boy didn't know what a single vegetable was and had never tried one.

That said I would be upset too and want to know why things happened the way they would. I wouldn't be making head roll, that never does any good, but I would want to push for some changes in how they decide whats healthy or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey... Where's Perry? View Post
Exactly, and that's why peanut bans piss me off.
At least there is a valid reason for that. Stopping kids from dying.
February 16th, 2012, 04:55 PM
^ Except we aren't talking about those kids, we're talking about this child whose lunch was healthy. Healthier than the schools too.
foxfire_ga79 and K.A.T like this.
February 16th, 2012, 05:21 PM
KimberlyD0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
^ Except we aren't talking about those kids, we're talking about this child whose lunch was healthy. Healthier than the schools too.
Which is why I said I would be upset too.

Unfortunately to many parents DON'T know what a healthy lunch is. Or they don't care. Which is WHY these inspections started in the first place.

Honestly a processed cheese and processed meat sandwich is no better then nuggets in my opinion. Both are just as processed and high in sodium.

Retraining might be a better route to take.

Last edited by KimberlyD0; February 16th, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
February 16th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Who are the schools to be judge jury and executioner on whats constitutes a healthy meal plan for MY child? Also who gave them the authority to circumvent parental decisions?

It's also sad that pizza is considered a vegetable by the school system. It's sad that people have become so complacent in turning over their choice to strangers when it comes to parenting.

FTR, I make an organic, agave sweetened, flour free low or no fat (depending on my mood) pudding that is not only flipping delicious but is by far a much healthier option than the chicken slurry (google what a chicken nugget actually is) in nugget form the schools deem to be nutritious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
After seeing some of the crappy lunches a lot of moms send I can see why they stepped in. So many kids in the class I work in come to school with nothing but cookies, pudding, chips, pop, and crap. No fruit, no veg, no meat, no cheese. Its sad when Pizza day is the healthiest meal for some of these kids.

I wanted to cry yesterday when we made vegetable soup and this one little boy didn't know what a single vegetable was and had never tried one.

That said I would be upset too and want to know why things happened the way they would. I wouldn't be making head roll, that never does any good, but I would want to push for some changes in how they decide whats healthy or not.

At least there is a valid reason for that. Stopping kids from dying.

February 16th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Quote:
Which is why I said I would be upset too.

Unfortunately to many parents DON'T know what a healthy lunch is. Or they don't care. Which is WHY these inspections started in the first place.

Honestly a processed cheese and processed meat sandwich is no better then nuggets in my opinion. Both are just as processed and high in sodium.

Retraining might be a better route to take.
I like how in some debates when I say things like "many parents don't know xyz" you try to tell me that they do because they can go to the library and look it up on the internet

Anyways. A banana is healthier than apple crisp. You have no idea if the cheese was Kraft or organic, you have no idea if the meat was low sodium or not. If the sandwich was made with whole wheat bread then it is healthier than the breadstick. And I'm going to say even if it was white it was healthier because many breadsticks have a lot of artificial butter on them and/or are fried and are always white. I also think that deli meat is healthier than a deep fat fried chicken nugget, which may have not even been made with real meat and/or healthy meat.
Fluffy Baby likes this.
February 16th, 2012, 05:43 PM
KimberlyD0
you missed my entire point so forget it.
February 16th, 2012, 06:02 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
I thought all schools did this nowadays. My daughters pre-school sent home nutrition requirements prior to the school year starting. We've never had an issue. This is so minor it's not even on my radar of worries.

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

February 16th, 2012, 06:06 PM
foxfire_ga79
We all got your point. You justified the government overruling parents' rights in deciding what their child eats and when. You think it's perfectly Ok for the government to send people into schools and pass judgment on sandwiches.
I think this practice would fade quickly if the school was forced to provide the replacement lunch at no cost to the child's family. I mean, if they're so poor all they eat is Twinkies and drink Coke, then they can't afford them fancy chicken nuggets. And goodness knows if they're so dumb they think a sandwich is healthy, the gubmint needs to send in monitors to check lunch boxes for sodium and processed cheese.
February 16th, 2012, 06:25 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Quote:
you missed my entire point so forget it.
And you missed the point of the debate...this one student who had a healthy lunch. Not the oh so poor parents who make the world sad because they don't know how give a proper nutritious meal to their kids. Why do these things always turn around to the I get why and big brother was right because so and so and was too dumb to know better? So let's protect the world from the foolish uninformed people with even more rules and regulations.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

February 16th, 2012, 07:06 PM
smika's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
But she didn't eat any of that, she only ate 3 chicken nuggets. Her mom packs healthy food that she knows her daughter would eat. I do the same. I'm not going to send steamed brussel sprouts because I know my kids won't eat it, but I do send apple slices, carrot sticks, etc because I know they will. Not only is this completely Big Brother governing at it's worst, it's a waste of two lunches, the one her mom packed that she most likely would have eaten, and the one the school forced upon her which she didn't eat. Parents should be able to dictate what their own children are fed. Period.
I was NOT agreeing with the school decision at all. I found it humorous that that Apple Crisp was most likely the fruit, and mentioning what else was served and considered "healthy." I didn't get a chance to finish my post due to the kiddo waking up from his nap.

As I said when I first found out about this, I DARE a school official to tell me that my child is not eating healthy enough. MY child, MY choices!

EDD: September 5, 2014

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search