School tosses out childs lunch and replaces with chicken nuggets...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree52Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 16th, 2012, 06:20 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Just a side question.

Are you ok with the gov't saying what has to be in a lunch that's made and prepared by the school to be served to the kids who are paying for it?

Is there a point where a school SHOULD step in on school lunches?

I know in Reme's school there are restrictions for what you can't send to school. Soda and full size chocolate bars are on the list, but it's a pretty short one. I know Bio Mom was telling me some of the things parents wanted to ban from lunches in kindergarten, including fruit cups, fruit leather and granola bars that weren't 100% organic and homemade. Parents also get a chance to make suggestion for lunches in the cafeteria a few times a year for some variety.

In Tori's school (Canada) there are two options daily, and if you're buying lunch you have to say which option you want or if you're buying "cold lunch" (which means salad, or a sub/sandwich etc). That way the school knows how many of each meal to make.. though they do make a few extras for kids who are late.

And the food at my high school makes those chicken nuggets look like steak... french fries and pizza were the top two favorites, followed by poutine and burgers (poutine is fries, cheese and gravy for anyone not familiar). Last time I checked, the menu hadn't changed.

And pizza is a vegatable? yikes. I might count it towards my meat, dairy, and grain or the day, but unless I've dumped a bunch of veggies (which is rare, since I like my onions and peppers raw, not cooked) I wouldn't count it as a veggie. Not enough tomato sauce on a slice to even bother thinking of it as a vegetable. Ketchup isn't a flipping veggie either...

I looked at this a while back, amazing how the lunches differ around the world: Some of the portion sizes make me wonder who they're feeding, a child or my husband....

What School Lunches Look Like In 20 Countries Around The World
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)

Last edited by plan4fate; February 16th, 2012 at 06:22 PM.
February 16th, 2012, 06:54 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ Judging by *just* the looks of the lunches on that website, USA is one of the unhealthiest probably. France didn't seem to healthy since it was a big plate of fries, which seemed to be the main course. I liked Italy's and Brazil (I think that was), looked pretty well balanced. Salads are common with every meal in Italy and kids, even young ones, normally eat them (unlike in US where, I atleast, rarely see kids, even teens eating salads).
February 16th, 2012, 07:07 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Reme looooves "Rabbit lunch" as he calls it. We ate at Red Lobster one night and he cried when he found out that his meal didn't come with a salad. I gave him mine instead. Not that he ate his choice of meal (chicken tenders and fries), he ate his dad's main dish and my salad. I don't know why we bother ordering him food sometimes....
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
February 16th, 2012, 07:11 PM
ds1 is like that sometimes too. He's at the age where he can read and pick his own meal when we're out, but sometimes when he gets it it's not what he's hungry for anymore or he likes what he sees on our plates instead. ds1 will only eat certain salads and ds2 will only eat plain spinach. Normally our salads are a mix of romaine and spinach.
February 16th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Now we can all one up each other! Get set, go!
February 16th, 2012, 07:25 PM
KimberlyD0
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
We all got your point. You justified the government overruling parents' rights in deciding what their child eats and when. You think it's perfectly Ok for the government to send people into schools and pass judgment on sandwiches.
If thats what you got out of what I was saying then you are so far off the mark you're on a different continent. Way to put words into my mouth.

you definitely missed my point.
February 16th, 2012, 07:28 PM
^ So your point is what then?
February 16th, 2012, 08:13 PM
KimberlyD0
My point was that sometimes there are children who are in fact bringing lunches that are unhealthy and thats why the inspections started in the first place. Doesn't mean things like this should happen. Hence me saying retraining should be done about what IS healthy. I think the intent was good, but the implementation stands for improvement.

I've said a couple times I don't agree with what happened. I was just pointing out WHY things started in the first place.

Of course parents should have the right to decide for their children, I never said they don't. However, when DO you step in becomes the question. Because some kids DO need that intervention. Either their parents don't know, don't care, or feel they can't afford better foods.

Thats does NOT mean I think governments should step in and mandate what a child eats or when.

It means I agree with foods being offered when they're in fact needed. There are children in my own class who would benefit from those school lunches. We don't have that here. What we have is pizza once a week. (parents choice on that, they can opt out). What I was pointing out is while pizza is not a healthy well rounded meal its, sadly, healthier then some of the lunches that some of these children are bringing to school.

Again the foods should be offered, not forced.
February 17th, 2012, 03:49 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is the government overstepping under the guise of "its for the children" excuse. Some people fall for it every time.
Fluffy Baby likes this.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
February 17th, 2012, 04:57 AM
KimberlyD0
Since when is the school board government??
February 17th, 2012, 05:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
Since when is the school board government??
The school board didn't come up with the guidelines. The govt. did. USDA, the President, and the first lady of the US
Lunchbox lunacy (OneNewsNow.com)
Quote:
The USDA guidelines say lunches, even those brought from home, must consist of one serving each of meat, milk, and grain, and two servings of fruit or vegetables. Those guidelines -- introduced last month as "historic improvements" by the federal government -- spring from the Healthy, Hunger-Free Kids Act championed by First Lady Michelle Obama as part of her Let's Move! Campaign and signed into law by President Barack Obama.
adding another link
Hoke Co. school lunch issue sparks controversy | NBC17.com
Quote:
In late January, school officials told a 4-year-old the home-packed lunch the student brought to school did not meet USDA requirements because it did not include milk.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Last edited by Tammyjh; February 17th, 2012 at 05:39 AM.
February 17th, 2012, 05:38 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our school board consists of elected officials who collect government funded pension. Not that it matters in the context of this argument and frankley think it would somehow be worse if it were just a general group of citizens forcing others to abide by their choices.

February 17th, 2012, 05:42 AM
Also from the link I posted
Quote:
Daycare and childcare programs in North Carolina are based on a star-rating.

State education officials say in order to achieve certain ratings, some N.C. Pre-K programs are required to be able to offer supplements if a home-packed lunch does not include every component of a healthy meal as defined by the USDA.

If a teacher sees a student with a lunch that does not meet the nutritional requirements, the school will usually offer the child the missing components.

North Carolina Division of Child Development and Early Education consultants and contractors visit Pre-K classes and child care centers throughout the state to advise educators of the requirements of the USDA Meal Guidelines, which are:

1 serving of milk
2 servings of fruit/vegetable
1 serving of grains/bread
1 serving of meat/meat alternative

February 17th, 2012, 07:17 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the school overstepped but this is a relatively new program, it will take time for the kinks to be worked out. There are always going to be people who take it too far, like this school did.
February 17th, 2012, 07:21 AM
foxfire_ga79
Quote:
If thats what you got out of what I was saying then you are so far off the mark you're on a different continent. Way to put words into my mouth.

you definitely missed my point.
I'm not on a different continent. I'm in a country whose politics you have no comprehension of so you keep comparing us to your own country's government.
I didn't put words in your mouth. You have clearly and repeatedly justified the government stepping in and overruling the parents. As far as I'm concerned the school should never be allowed to take a lunch and replace it with their garbage. School food is fast food, plain and simple. Their chicken nuggets are no different than McDonald's crap. If the child is not malnourished or morbidly obese then the school needs to keep their opinions to themselves. And if the child IS sick then the school needs to contact the parents. They do NOT have the right to confiscate and replace a child's food to suit their agenda.
What if the kid is on ADHD medication and has a decreased appetite? DS#2 is in this situation right now. I know he doesn't eat the healthiest foods out there for lunch but for the time being I'm grateful for any calories he's willing to ingest during the day. If the school forcefully took away calories he was willing to eat and replaced it with food he would only throw away I'd be furious. He eats healthy at home at breakfast before he takes his medicine and again at home at dinner by the time his medicine is wearing off. Lunch looks pathetic to anyone who doesn't know why he's so picky in the middle of the day.
If the school is going to judge a child's entire diet just with a glimpse of one meal, one that has to be simplified to be portable and child friendly, they're not going to get a complete picture of the child's diet.
I don't care what other kids bring in their lunch, everybody else **** well better keep their hands the hell off my kid's lunch.

And grow up. That eye rolling emote just proves you've run out of big girl words to use. If that's all you've got left to "say" to me then you might as well not bother responding.
February 17th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
I think the school overstepped but this is a relatively new program, it will take time for the kinks to be worked out. There are always going to be people who take it too far, like this school did.
No matter which lunch line the school mistakenly put this little girl in, I'm against the govt. telling me what I have to pack in my child's lunch which is what this program does.
Quote:
The USDA guidelines say lunches, even those brought from home, must consist of one serving each of meat, milk, and grain, and two servings of fruit or vegetables.
foxfire_ga79 and K.A.T like this.

February 17th, 2012, 08:10 AM
KimberlyD0
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
I'm not on a different continent. I'm in a country whose politics you have no comprehension of so you keep comparing us to your own country's government.
I didn't put words in your mouth. You have clearly and repeatedly justified the government stepping in and overruling the parents.
You're the one who assumed I was talking about it being ok for the government to take over.

YOU put those words in my mouth. I never said anything about that so yes you are in a totally different place from me. Sorry but what your accusing me of is just not true.

I have never said the government should over ride every aspect of parenting. I said there are some laws that make sense, laws like child protective laws that protect children. Those are "for the children too" should they be abolished and parents be allowed to beat their children again?

Should the government control what and when a child eat? no of course not.
Is it a bad thing to offer a healthy substitute when there is a need? yes I think there is. Thats not the same as the government taking over though.

Don't put your own issues and assumptions on me.
February 17th, 2012, 08:23 AM
foxfire_ga79
Quote:
You're the one who assumed I was talking about it being ok for the government to take over.

YOU put those words in my mouth. I never said anything about that so yes you are in a totally different place from me. Sorry but what your accusing me of is just not true.

I have never said the government should over ride every aspect of parenting. I said there are some laws that make sense, laws like child protective laws that protect children. Those are "for the children too" should they be abolished and parents be allowed to beat their children again?

Should the government control what and when a child eat? no of course not.
Is it a bad thing to offer a healthy substitute when there is a need? yes I think there is. Thats not the same as the government taking over though.

Don't put your own issues and assumptions on me.

You have stated that you "understand why" the government has done this and that is called justifying it. There is no justification for it. You don't have to say the government should override parents' decisions after you've expressed that you agree with their reasoning for it.
And don't trivialize abuse victims by comparing beatings to an unhealthy lunch. A meal that's not perfectly balanced is not even in the same realm as beating up a kid.
There are legitimate reasons for parents to not send in "perfect" meals for their kids.

And to the bold, go to hell. My child's ADHD is not an issue I'm pushing on you. It's an example of why a child might not be eating the "approved" foods at lunch. If you're allowed to add personal examples to a debate such as your wanting to cry about a kid who couldn't identify some vegetables, then I'm allowed to offer a personal example to back up my stance. Don't you dare ever again claim that this is putting "issues" on you.
Fluffy Baby likes this.
February 17th, 2012, 08:53 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
No matter which lunch line the school mistakenly put this little girl in, I'm against the govt. telling me what I have to pack in my child's lunch which is what this program does.
While I agree with what you are saying as far as government interference goes, there are far more important things to be worried about imo. It is an inconvenience to those who can afford to pack our children healthy meals but it is an important program for those children whose parents think a twinkie and lunchable are appropriate meal choices every day. Our country is in an obesity epidemic and programs like this will allow our children (and children who aren't taught at home about healthy eating) to learn how to eat healthy, balanced meals. By requiring certain healthy foods to be in lunches, parents will have to purchase those items (in lieu of lunchables, twinkies, etc) which will mean the food will be available in their homes. Having fresh ingredients to cook with may inspire people to be more aware of what they are eating and feeding their families. I know our eating habits have improved since we learned how important balanced eating is, especially for our two small children. By having this kind of program, parents and children can learn the importance of healthy eating and hopefully our obesity epidemic will start to fade away. We have become a society that relies too heavily on McDonalds and Pizza Hut to feed our families. So while I agree that the government shouldn't be able to tell us what to feed our children, I think in a case like this, the ends justify the means. If I have to be conscious of what I'm putting in my child's lunch in order to ensure another child gets to eat a healthy, balanced meal, then so be it. I don't think chicken nuggets and pizza are healthy foods but hopefully after this program is active for a while, the guidelines for what is acceptable will change.
February 17th, 2012, 09:07 AM
foxfire_ga79
I won't argue with the fact that people in general need to practice better eating habits, my problems comes from the school confiscating a meal and replacing it without notifying the parent. If this is such a huge problem that the school has to resort to those measures then they need to be in actual contact with the parents. The mother shouldn't have found out with this after the fact.
And, there doesn't need to be dang legislation on it! Why can't they make it a game for the kids where they can earn prizes for eating certain amounts of veggies. Make it a cumulative thing where they earn better and better things as time goes on. If they can reward kids with pizza for reading books (the BookIt program) then surely they can creative incentive for the kids.
Then, when it's the kids asking the parents for carrot and celery sticks, the parents are going to be more open to giving to the kids than if the school had made it a demand. The child has to show a desire for the food. The desire needs to be created, not mandated.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search