Log In Sign Up

School tosses out childs lunch and replaces with chicken nuggets...


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree52Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #81  
February 17th, 2012, 06:21 PM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
I never said I was an expert on your son. Again you assume.

FYI my daughter is on the same medication. I really can save time since I know all about the medication in question. Yes I do know about the side effects. Her appetite being effected doesn't mean she can't still eat the same food. We still don't allow her to eat crap, we still ensure she eats what she needs to. Excluding trigger foods (like many fruit juice).

Her eating pattern is similar to your sons. I still pack her the same healthy balanced lunch. No one forces her to eat it, but its there if she wants it and we then do a healthy balanced dinner.

No I am not an expert as yet. I don't recall saying I was, but I have more experience and knowledge of ADHD then I ever thought I would.

I have this knowledge due to having it myself, having a child with it, and studying it, and many other learning barriers, through my current educational pursuits. I am doing this because I have a passion for these children and my goal is to work directly with them so they can be all that they're meant to be.


Arguing with you is as useful as talking to a wall. First you say you "know all about it" and then you say I'm putting words in your mouth and assuming by referring sarcastically to you as an expert. Which is it? You can't have it both ways so PICK ONE ALREADY.
You're also not the only adult to have been DX'd with ADHD. I was DX'd 23 years ago, as well as both of my sons having it. The elder of which is nearly 14. I'm not exactly new to this.
Don't bother me blathering about your self righteous crusade to make ADHD kids "be all they're meant to be." I can hardly believe you've bothered to educate yourself on any of this when you're too lazy to even read the link I provided. Because, once again, you "know all about it!" I wouldn't let someone with your attitude in the same room as one of my kids.
Seriously Kimberly, I cannot stand debating with you. If you're going to be so arrogant that you have to keep telling me you already "know all about" something, I am so not wasting one more second to type even one more response to you. Why do you even bother to debate here if you refuse to examine the opposing argument or claim you already know all about it?
No need to actually answer that. I don't intend to respond to you anymore.
Reply With Quote
  #82  
February 17th, 2012, 07:40 PM
KimberlyD0
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
Arguing with you is as useful as talking to a wall. First you say you "know all about it" and then you say I'm putting words in your mouth and assuming by referring sarcastically to you as an expert. Which is it? You can't have it both ways so PICK ONE ALREADY.
You're also not the only adult to have been DX'd with ADHD. I was DX'd 23 years ago, as well as both of my sons having it. The elder of which is nearly 14. I'm not exactly new to this.
Don't bother me blathering about your self righteous crusade to make ADHD kids "be all they're meant to be." I can hardly believe you've bothered to educate yourself on any of this when you're too lazy to even read the link I provided. Because, once again, you "know all about it!" I wouldn't let someone with your attitude in the same room as one of my kids.
Seriously Kimberly, I cannot stand debating with you. If you're going to be so arrogant that you have to keep telling me you already "know all about" something, I am so not wasting one more second to type even one more response to you. Why do you even bother to debate here if you refuse to examine the opposing argument or claim you already know all about it?
No need to actually answer that. I don't intend to respond to you anymore.
Look I don't know what your problem is. You're the one who's taken something as a personal attack or something when it never was. I'm sorry if I offended you by having a different opinion. I didn't know that wasn't allowed.

I'm not to lazy to read your link, I did skimmed it, and it's the same information I got when my daughter was put on the SAME medication. I do know the side effects of the medication since I did research those effect before making the choice to have my child on it. Had it been a new medication I would have read it.

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a child. My daughter has it. Other members of my family have it. I have education regarding it so I can work with kids with it. I have well over 30 years dealing with ADHD in one way or another. So yes I do know a lot about it. If that makes me a know it all then I'm sorry.

How did this debate deteriorate into attacking me? because I don't agree with you its ok to attack me and insult me? Since when?
Reply With Quote
  #83  
February 17th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,040
Oh for the love of all that is good and holy, PLEASE do not turn this into another martyr debate where Kimberly is the self appointed victim. I swear I can smell the circular arguments coming down the pike.

Back to the debate. If you are comfortable with having people go through your child's lunch then perhaps those same people can check out your fridge, or you could cut out the middle man and just submit your families meal plan to them. I mean think of the children, who else is going to save them from the evil turkey sandwiches.

Again, it is not the schools job to check EACH AND EVERY child's lunch to make it conform to their standards. If a child is obviously malnourished then please call CPS and let those who are properly trained intervene with the family.
Fluffy Baby and K.A.T like this.
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #84  
February 17th, 2012, 08:16 PM
KimberlyD0
Guest
Posts: n/a
Thats fine. I took a break from here because I was tired of crap. I will just delete my account and you will never have to deal with me again. I'm sure that will just make your day.
Reply With Quote
  #85  
February 17th, 2012, 09:33 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberlyD0 View Post
My daughter has ADHD and ODD I know all about it thanks. She can still eat a healthy well rounded meal.
Well pin a rose on your nose. You have an answer for everything, don't you?

Not every child CAN eat a well balanced meal, every meal of every day. In fact I bet there isn't a child on this planet that DOES eat a balanced meal every meal, every single day. I **** well know my kids don't, lol. Tonight they ate corn dogs, fries and banana bread. Mostly because those were frozen and easy to cook, but also because I was too lazy to spend more time in the kitchen. But there have been plenty of other meals when I go for simple and easy, over super healthy, and didn't have a reason for it(my current reason is the heavy *** cast on my leg that's driving me up the wall). Eh, no skin off my nose. I know the majority of what they eat is healthy and balanced.


The government, or even the school, shouldn't be able to take away what the child CAN or will eat, and substitute something they find more appropriate just so they can say they did. Which is exactly what happened here. That little girl did NOT eat a balanced lunch, she got 3 chicken nuggets. They took away her well balanced meal, all in the name of policy. This is one of the, many, reasons why policies like this are ineffective. If you think this case is unique, then you're fooling yourself. It happens all the time, all over the US. (that's a general you)

YAY for protecting the children, though.
(in case the sarcasm meter is broken, I should point out now...that was sarcasm)

If there is a problem with what a child is eating, the schools need to contact the parents about it. They should never address the child directly, that's just rude(and who knows if the child can even explain it). If that doesn't help, contact CPS, if there is a serious problem. But unless the child is clearly malnourished, or obese, there really isn't a need to worry.
I do understand the desire to having all kids eat well balanced meals. That's a wonderful dream. But it's not realistic, and it doesn't need a government regulation in place in order to exist. The program-regardless of when it was actually made a law-has existed in this state(OH) for years and years. In fact they had similar regulations in schools here when I was in school. We didn't even have a cafeteria, we went home for lunch. But other schools in cities here did/do, and they had the same "rules" back then. The laws/rules aren't nearly as effective as they are trying to pretend they are.
You can teach kids about eating well balanced meals, without laws. You can teach children the importance of taking care of themselves(mind, body, soul, whatever you wish to teach), without government regulations. It's entirely possible to educate people, and not need the government to intervene in the process. That includes the parents too.
Will everyone listen? No. Is it a shame that some parents don't feed their children properly? Yes, a **** shame. Can we use these laws and regulations for that one meal during the school day 5 days a week, 9 months out of the year (on average) and truly say they've made a difference since being implemented? Absolutely not. Just look at the crap schools feed kids, and have to, because of costs/regulations/contracts with food service companies. Food service foods are precooked(or worse, partially cooked), then frozen and reheated. Food service foods are absolutely loaded with preservatives, so they last longer. Food service foods are NOT ideal meals, especially when you eat them every single day. They simply are not a healthy alternative in all situations (dare I say, most situations?)

Now let's take the children who come from households with less income, less ability to buy the healthier options,because they cost more (we can all agree they cost more, than prepackaged, I'm sure, especially fresh fruits and veggies). A lot of those kids don't only eat lunch at school, but also breakfast. That is two meals out of the day that they are eating crap-at school, using the regulations implemented but not followed whatsoever by the schools. Then they go home, and likely have to eat a similar meal there too, because it's more affordable for their parents.
How exactly did that law help them? How exactly is it teaching them to eat balanced meals? How is it promoting health awareness and nutritional value?
It's not. If schools were forced to serve healthy foods, then yeah, it would be more effective. But they aren't. They never have been and from the looks of it, they never will be.
Educating children and their parents on healthy eating, is awesome, and should be promoted as much as possible. But forcing laws and regulations on people, when it has very little effect, and more often than not leads to what happened with this little girl, is NOT the way to go about that education.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with offering an alternative, if a child needs one. I'd venture to guess there are probably a lot of kids who could benefit from that offering. But there IS something wrong with forcing the alternative. Why? Because there is a myriad of reasons as to why a child could have what they do, in their lunch. There is no way to know the reason(s) for each individual child. So the law becomes a blanket law, and in the end, helps very few, but hinders even more, and creates a great big mess. There are just some places laws like that don't belong. School lunch is one of them.
Schools are NOT made to follow those laws, at all-just take a real hard look at some of those food service foods they serve. Parents are forced to follow them, as the schools pass the buck off to parents. It's ridiculous at best.

I already explained our own problems with dealing with these regulations, but I know our case is not unique in the least. Each individual scenario, reason, whatever, may be unique to that child, but the outcome tends to be the same.
You simply can't turn something like this into a uniform policy and expect it to be effective. It doesn't work out well, for anyone. Even the kids who might need such policies, rarely benefit from them. Making it a law is simply not justified. It creates utter hell for those who don't fit the mold.

DDs kindergarten year she was still weaning down to 1/3 feeds(1 hr on, 3 hours off). Right before snack time(at their schools the younger kids ate lunch last, after 1pm, so they had snack time) I would go in and take her out to another room so I could give her a feed. Even with medical documentation they still gave me hell about it. Her snack wasn't nutritional enough. ***? It's about the most nutritional thing she could possibly eat, in liquid form. But that's not the part they were complaining about. It was the oatmeal she'd eat AFTER her feeds, during snack with the rest of her class. That's what they had a problem with. They had a list of "approved" foods, and that wasn't one of them. So the regulation became an all or none, sort of thing. Stupid as stupid could be. We didn't fit the mold, so we were breaking the rules. There shouldn't BE a mold to begin with.

Yeah laws like this, simply give the ignorant an excuse to not educate themselves. That includes the schools, teachers, principals and yes even some parents. It hinders far more than it helps. There are just too many other variables and potential ones, that regulations and laws like this don't cover or make room for. Unless they intend to add stipulations in for every what if scenario, it simply won't be effective. Since they can't do that(obviously), there is no need to make it a "law" in the first place.
Fluffy Baby likes this.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #86  
February 18th, 2012, 07:34 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,980
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Poncho06 and K.A.T like this.
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #87  
February 18th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,134
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
Her account is not deleted yet
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #88  
February 18th, 2012, 10:49 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 3,980
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey... Where's Perry? View Post
Her account is not deleted yet
The sequence:
Step 1 - Nobody understands me, followed by a little "you don't know my life"
Step 2 - I'm leaving here and never coming back because you are all big meanie heads
Step 3 - Don't delete account and lurk for months
Step 4 - Get enticed back into a drama filled debate a few months down the line
Step 5 - Repeat steps 1-4
__________________



Reply With Quote
  #89  
February 18th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jennifer* View Post
My kid eats organic raw broccoli from our garden. He also eats eggs from our chickens. I win
My kids simply don't eat. Why bother?
__________________
Lynn
Mom to many



1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
Reply With Quote
  #90  
February 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Happy Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 21,659
I'm so glad i don't have to wrry about this at my kids school. and if they ever took away any of their cold lunches head would roll.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #91  
February 18th, 2012, 06:11 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 5,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
My kids simply don't eat. Why bother?
See that is why he eats the broccoli. When it is dinner time, i just tell him to go in the backyard and forage for food. Today he opted for broccoli and carrots from the garden. I'll just leave out the fact that we are going to Islands for dinner where he will eat mostly french fries and hopefully at least one chicken strip. Make you all think I am Mizz Trishinutritious over here
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #92  
February 18th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: SW FL
Posts: 8,785
I would flip out on the school. DD goes to a private school that does not serve lunch. I love being able to control her food.
__________________
Leann <3 Hector
My trio: Alyssa 7, Tristan 4.75, Gavin 1.5

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS



Rest In Peace Jennifer <3



Reply With Quote
  #93  
February 18th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Seattle area, Washington
Posts: 9,747
I am late jumping in here, but I wanted to say this. I feel absolutely certain that the true motive behind school policies such as this has more to do with the business interests of the farmers and suppliers who sell food to the schools, and of the lobbyists who represent them, than it does with the nutritional needs of the students involved.

I worked very briefly at a Head Start preschool. We received federal funding, and we served the children two meals + two snacks a day subject to very strict and specific regulations. One of them was that milk had to be offered as the beverage for three out of those four meals. Every child (excepting those with allergies) had to be offered 3/4 of a cup of milk. We had lines drawn on the paper cups to show how full we were supposed to fill them. Most of the children never finished all of their milk, and we knew ahead of time that they weren't going to. But we still had to fill their cups, then predictably throw away the extra at the end. I was convinced then, and remain convinced now, that these policies benefited the Dairy Farmers of America far more than they did the children we served. These school lunch policies sound like more of the same. If you can't convince parents to buy your product on its merits, then usher in a government policy mandating that they do so, and you'll expand your bottom line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
There is absolutely nothing wrong with offering an alternative, if a child needs one. I'd venture to guess there are probably a lot of kids who could benefit from that offering. But there IS something wrong with forcing the alternative.
I agree with this completely. If packed lunches are lacking, then these types of foods should be offered as a supplement, not mandated as an alternative.
Fluffy Baby likes this.
__________________

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
Reply With Quote
  #94  
February 19th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,040
^^^ ITA with Molly.

I think I remember reading something along the lines of some distributors/suppliers who are the largest distributors to school systems having a large hand in determining what constitutes a nutritional meal served at school. I want to say I read about it in relation to the pizza as a vegetable controversy. I'll look more into it later.

***Disclaimer, I also could have totally made that up in my head***
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #95  
February 19th, 2012, 09:31 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: California
Posts: 5,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum_Leap View Post
I am late jumping in here, but I wanted to say this. I feel absolutely certain that the true motive behind school policies such as this has more to do with the business interests of the farmers and suppliers who sell food to the schools, and of the lobbyists who represent them, than it does with the nutritional needs of the students involved.

I worked very briefly at a Head Start preschool. We received federal funding, and we served the children two meals + two snacks a day subject to very strict and specific regulations. One of them was that milk had to be offered as the beverage for three out of those four meals. Every child (excepting those with allergies) had to be offered 3/4 of a cup of milk. We had lines drawn on the paper cups to show how full we were supposed to fill them. Most of the children never finished all of their milk, and we knew ahead of time that they weren't going to. But we still had to fill their cups, then predictably throw away the extra at the end. I was convinced then, and remain convinced now, that these policies benefited the Dairy Farmers of America far more than they did the children we served. These school lunch policies sound like more of the same. If you can't convince parents to buy your product on its merits, then usher in a government policy mandating that they do so, and you'll expand your bottom line.



I agree with this completely. If packed lunches are lacking, then these types of foods should be offered as a supplement, not mandated as an alternative.

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner! Students at my place of employment must take a specific number of items whether or not they are going to be consumed. I cringe every time I see them go straight to the trashcan to throw out the untouched food.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #96  
February 19th, 2012, 09:50 AM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
ITA with Molly also. When I worked at the daycare center they were very anal about making sure the right amount of everything was given to the kids. There was SO much food wasted. The floor ended up with more food than the kids' stomachs.

ETA---There was one girl whose mother always sent her lunch to the daycare even though lunch was included in the price of attendance, because they ate only organic special stuff. We never were told to check it and make sure there was the perfect amount of each food group in the lunch. We fed the child what her mother wanted he to have. No throwing it away and giving her other stuff if someone thought it wasn't good enough.
Reply With Quote
  #97  
February 19th, 2012, 05:27 PM
yemanya's Avatar Regular
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Australia
Posts: 60
I found this really upsetting when I heard about it initially.

Obviously being in Australia things are different, namely being that packed lunches are the norm, however, I dont know many people who would see the chicken nuggets to be the healthier option over the sandwich the child brought.

My own little personal take on this, when I used to work at a school there was a girl who just brought junk every day (remember, no school lunches here) parents are sent a letter at the start of each school year of the "suggested" lunch box of the kids, but by no means did we inspect lunches or have a right to take anyone;s lunch away. All we could do is express concearn with the parents if we believed a child was continuously having an inappropriate lunch.

This girl got bags of potato chips and little bottles of soda. Thats it, every day. 3 bags. No sandwich, no fruit, no veggies, no water (not a huge issue as we did have drinking fountains, but why would she use them when she had cola or raspberry fizzy drink?) no dairy, nothing with any nutrients whatsoever. We had no right to replace her lunch, and it was really a case where everyone wanted to just go to the staff room and make her a sandwich. A few meetings with her mother and the fizzy drinks stopped appearing, she started bringing milk instead which was fantastic, and when I left that job we were starting to see some butter sandwiches, which was a step in the right direction, so getting there.

I just found it disheartening that in the situation the article is referring to, a child's nutrition was compromised for the sake of politics, when our hands were tied when it came to getting this girl decent food.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:16 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0