School tosses out childs lunch and replaces with chicken nuggets...

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree52Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 15th, 2012, 02:31 PM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
Here is the local link to the story. The child brought from home a turkey and cheese sandwich, banana, apple juice, and chips. Because there was no veggie, she was given an entire school lunch that had a veggie and also chicken nuggets.

School Deems Child’s Lunch Unhealthy, Replaced with Chicken Nuggets | FOX8.com

Thoughts?
February 15th, 2012, 02:40 PM
foxfire_ga79
Aw man I was gonna start this one! lol

It's horrible. That lunch is perfectly acceptable. How much do they think kids bother to eat anyway? There was a fruit, and if it's anything like my family they get a huge dose of veggies at dinner because that's the only meal it seems I can work veggies into without a riot breaking out.
Having lunchbox inspectors is going way too far. Maybe if a kid routinely only ate marshmallows and Coke there would be a problem. This particular child's lunch was not a problem and if I were the mother I would not pay for the school lunch.

ETA---Wouldn't it have been wonderful if the school had tried to feed the child something against the family's religious beliefs, or worse, something the child was allergic to?? These people need to think about their actions, there's probably a good reason why the kid had a home lunch.
February 15th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If it were one of my kids the lunch inspector would be digging chicken nuggets out of their anus.

Seriously though, I think it is WAY stepping over a boundary when a school feels they have the right to dictate what I feed my child. Regardless of if this mother sent her kid in with Ring Dings (yummm ring dings) and a packet of sugar, she is the parent and is (or at a minimum should be) the authority over what her child eats.

The only time I would wan to see the school stepping in is if the child had a bud light and a hash brownie packed in their lunch box.

February 15th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LOL@ beer and hash brownie!

You hit the nail on the head with the allergy thing I was going to bring that up. Plus I'd be angry if they threw out any meal that I spent my money on to send for MY child.

February 15th, 2012, 03:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Are they going to force feed my child the veggie???? Because I can guarantee she wouldn't eat it anyway!
foxfire_ga79 likes this.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
February 15th, 2012, 03:11 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I would be up there so fast and demand a refund on my money spent on that lunch. Who the F are those aholes to deem the lunch I send as unhealthy? Chicken nuggets are healthier than turnkey and cheese? Really?! Come the f on! The only unhealthy thing that kid had were the chips.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

February 15th, 2012, 03:40 PM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yup, I would be storming that school. I really don't have any words to describe how upset I would be. And who really takes a veggie in a sack lunch? Maybe carrots but fruit is way easier to put in a lunch.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
February 15th, 2012, 03:50 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Someone would be getting a butt kicking out of me. We NEVER took veggies or fruit to school. We found ice packs to ruin the quality of the item and since we only ate them cold..... We instead had access to them at home as snacks, and for supper.
TTC #1 together since December 2011
BFP 11/27!!!!! 8-11 dpo (funky chart) edd August 7th 2017
11/29 = 79
12/1 = 136
12/8 = 2529
US 12/12 = how many sacs

May 6th- bfp @ 10dpo ended in a Chemical Pregnancy May 15th @5w1d

Me: Hashi's, PCOS,Multiple miscarriages
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motility Vitamins started August 2nd.

February 15th, 2012, 04:54 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with everyone else. The lunch was healthy, and I don't think the schools lunches was any healthier than the home made one. I'd be angry. My boys do not do fruit and veggie together. They get 2 meals with fruits, and then only 1 meal with veggies and a snack with veggies. So they get both twice a day, but seperate. If I gave it to them together then they wouldnt' eat the veggie.
razzledobe likes this.
February 15th, 2012, 05:16 PM
razzledobe's Avatar <3
I pretty much agree with all of the comments here! It really has to suck to be a teacher nowadays having to focus on every single assenine thing OTHER than actually just teaching a subject to your students.

This is what we get though when we don't pay attention to who is being elected to the school boards, local governments etc! :-(
foxfire_ga79 likes this.
February 15th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Plus what exactly was the "veggie"? Was it the same ****** iceberg lettuce that they throw in the kids cold pack here and call it a salad?

February 15th, 2012, 06:13 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It was probably frozen or canned corn. Corn and green beans seems to be the most common here.

In the article it says that the school adds the missing portions of the meal, so in this case should have been just the veggie, and charges the parents for a meal. I don't get why then they took the entire meal away.
Mountain~Mama likes this.
February 15th, 2012, 06:49 PM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
LIVID doesn't even begin to describe what I would be if this happened to my child.

February 15th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
What, chips don't count as a veggie? Aren't they potatoes?

February 15th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Linzie's Avatar Veteran
Send a message via MSN to Linzie Send a message via Skype™ to Linzie
Oh this is just ridiculous. Heads would be rolling. There is NO WAY a home packed lunch with REAL food could be unhealthier than a school lunch. I know whats in school lunches, how they are made, what they are made of, because my mother was the Food Service director of the local school district for about 5 years. I helped her in the summer time, mailing letters and assisting during summer school. Tasteless, prefrozen, artificial yuck. Although it probably has gotten better due to all the complaints and whatnot... but still...

I wouldn't pay that $1.25, because they had no right to take away my child's lunch.
Fluffy Baby likes this.

February 15th, 2012, 09:55 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
This would piss me off to no end, and I would not only show up the next day, but not leave until I spoke to everyone I possibly could about it.

I've done exactly that too. I've also reported teachers/principals to the board of education. For a while I showed up at the school every single day right around lunchtime to "help" in the lunchroom (moreso to keep an eye on the idiots trying to make her eat things that would likely land her in the hospital)

Dd2 is allergic to milk (it's not actually as simple as an allergy, but it's easier to call it that because no one apparently knows what galactosemia is and explaining it takes too **** long). They tried, numerous occasions to make her take milk(the fact that they push flavored milk just makes this ten times worse), or make her take the school lunch(typically had some milk products in it) because they didn't "approve" of her home packed lunch. There were times they'd even get the milk, take it to her at the table, and open it for her. I had to teach her in kindergarten to NEVER take any food from anyone at school if she didn't know what it was made of. Even if it came from a teacher who told her it was "safe". Not super easy for a 5 yr old, but she did pick up on it, thankfully. I still find it sad that a child had to explain to grown adults that skim milk or flavored milk, is still milk, and still not acceptable. Same with other products that had milk in them.

Her 3rd grade teacher was pretty awesome though, and let her eat lunch in the classroom with a few other kids so she wouldn't have to deal with the lunchroom at all. She also made sure to send an approved food list for parties, birthdays, snack sharing and such. She did it all without making her feel like some kind of alien too. The most I could get other teachers to do, was say that a child had a dairy allergy, not that it actually stopped any of the parents from sending it in.

My kids qualified for free and reduced lunch/breakfast, but they rarely ever got them. We didn't need them, and it was easier to pack. They almost always packed their own lunches. I'm not an idiot, and neither are they, so they weren't going to school with junk. Usually their drink of choice was water(always has been), with an occasional juice thrown in. They didn't necessarily pack what some would think of as a traditional lunch, but it was always healthy. They never packed things like sweets, chips, candy, pop, etc.. Snacks were usually fruit, or veggies, sometimes crackers.

By about 2nd grade her elementary school got a new principal, and apparently got the hint that I wasn't going away, and we weren't changing our methods. In 4th grade, she moved to the intermediate school, and we started over from square one, with a brand new set of teachers, lunch people and principals.

Some people really are complete idiots. Even having documentation from all of her doctors and any relevant info I could find for them printed out so they wouldn't have to research it for themselves, didn't help. "It's policy", is what they'd always say. The day my kid's lunch was unhealthy, is the day they can shove their policy in her face. But until that point, they could shove their policy straight up their ***, where it belongs.

They tried sending home literature about childhood obesity once, to "explain". My kids are teeny, none of them are on the charts for their age range. Dd2-the one they made the biggest deal about-in 1st grade barely weighed a whopping 35lbs. She's almost 11 now and I don't know what she weighs but she wears size 6/7 clothes, the same size as her 8 yr old brother. Not exactly on the path to childhood obesity, lol. She hates most sweet stuff too, so she'd be the last person to pack an unhealthy anything in her lunch.
February 15th, 2012, 11:12 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LessthanThree View Post
What, chips don't count as a veggie? Aren't they potatoes?
They could just giver her some ketchup to dip them in and she'd have a double veggie there.
February 16th, 2012, 04:49 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here's a little more and although it sounds like a big misunderstanding, its still over reaching on the part of the school. But, gotta love that government intervention.

Lunch assessment at Hoke County school causes confusion :: WRAL.com
Quote:
The assessment requires the school to review children's lunches for nutrition, Barnes said. If a homemade lunch is determined to be missing one of the food groups required by United States Department of Agriculture regulations, the school is supposed to offer it to the student for free.
"What is supposed to happen is the teacher is supposed to go over and get the missing item, which I'm assuming was milk in this case, and offer it to the child," Barnes said. "The child can take it or not take it."
But the girl wound up getting put in the lunch line to get a full lunch, Barnes said.
"I don't know whether the child was confused. I don't know whether the teacher gave poor direction. I don't know, but again, that child thought she had to go through the line," he said. "If there's a mistake, that's our mistake."
And according to the school, the reports of tossing her homemade lunch is false.
Quote:
Raeford, N.C. — Controversy over what a Hoke County preschooler ate for lunch last month has captured national media attention, but the school system said Wednesday that it never took the girl's homemade lunch away or forced her to eat cafeteria food.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Last edited by Tammyjh; February 16th, 2012 at 04:52 AM.
February 16th, 2012, 09:02 AM
challowell's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My thoughts are what if it was a kid with allergies. We are ruling out a dairy allergy right now and a lot of items contain milk. They are worried she was missing was missing dairy well I can tell you there is milk in bread and in the cheese. A ketchup packet would count as Veggies according to the schools, and she has got 2 fruit servings. I think a note home asking her to send carrot sticks the next day would have went over a lot better.
February 16th, 2012, 09:22 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not a confrontational person, but you can bet I would go to that school and give whoever deemed that lunch inappropriate an earful. I am pretty sure the words idiot, chicken nuggets, reject parts, full of crap, and unhealthy would come out of my mouth too. Plus..you want to make your child hate veggies? Just give them the bland, crappy ones given in school lunches.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search