Georgia's controversial obesity campaign

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 17th, 2012, 06:06 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Billboards like that will only make children who are overweight feel horrible about themselves and in turn make parent irate. I agree with glasscandie, it needs to be a combo of both. Teaching both kids and parents how to eat properly. And not do shock ads. Going the route of programs like DARE is a great way to start.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

February 20th, 2012, 02:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
Billboards like that will only make children who are overweight feel horrible about themselves and in turn make parent irate. I agree with glasscandie, it needs to be a combo of both. Teaching both kids and parents how to eat properly. And not do shock ads. Going the route of programs like DARE is a great way to start.

Those kids already feel horrible about themselves.

I wish there was an easy answer. I feel so sad when I see extremely overweight kids.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
February 20th, 2012, 03:32 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ View Post
call be stupid, but how does that help in the short term? A child asking for something healthy doesn't mean they're going to get it if mom and dad doesn't think that it's worth purchasing. If they thought it was good, they'd probably have already been buying it.
Not necessarily. There are things that I KNOW are good, healthy choices, but I don't buy them because I know DS won't eat them. I buy some snacks that aren't the healthiest becuase I know he will eat them in a pinch. I think a lot of parents are probably similar and probably more extreme. They buy snacks because the kids want them, eat them, and they are made for kids. If their kids came home ASKING for fruit or veggies or healthy snacks, I bet the parents would be grateful and happy to oblige. Parenting is tough, and sometimes you feel trapped between providing food kids will eat or providing healthy food and you don't know how to find a middle ground.

February 20th, 2012, 04:10 PM
yemanya's Avatar Regular
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
I'm trying to picture a commercial that is kid friendly for healthy foods like veggies, that will make the kids go "mom I just NEED those carrot sticks!!!!!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post

Songs are great for younger kids. It makes it fun and then they learn what the foods are.

We had these ads in Australia when I was a kid, one was for bananas and one was for mandarines with these utterly annoying jingles, and yes they were advertising campaigns to up the sales of bananas and mandarines, but they got kids wanting them. I remember all the kids in my class running around the playground with our bananas screaming BAAAA-NAAAA-NAAAA-NAAA-NAAA-NAAA, NAA-NAA-NANANA, BAA-NAA-NAA-NAA-NAA-NAA, or a few years after that, running around with mandarines screaming at each other "GIVE ME A MANDY MUM" it worked, it got us wanting fruit, regardless of how irritating the ads were.

The banana one has since been revived towards the end of last year and at the train station and such I have heard kids screaming it out while holding bananas, just the way we used to, and the mandarin one came back when I was working in a primary school and that was popular amongst the kids too.
Annoying jingles work.

For reference, this is the latest of the mandarin ad
Give me a mandy Mum 2010 TV campaign - YouTube

And this was the banana song from when I was growing up
Make Those Bodies Sing - YouTube

They seem quite silly, and no, theyre not healthy eating campaigns, theyre to up the sales of certian produce items, but theyre examples of ads that have gotten kids eating fruit, just because they have annoying enough jingles for kids to love them.
February 29th, 2012, 10:27 AM
magz88's Avatar First Time Mum
I think the poster with the fat girl on it is great. It's not about making her feel badly for being obese it's about her fear of the disease she has due to the weight.

Other obese children who have yet to be diagnosed may wonder what 'hypertension' is and investigate - then take steps to change or ask Mum and Dad.

The commercial made me cry because if the mother wasn't fat the kid probably wouldn't be fat - what's wrong with being defensive?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search