Mother knows best

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 26th, 2012, 01:14 PM
Audrey's Aunt Amanda's Avatar Not a mommy yet.
Send a message via ICQ to Audrey's Aunt Amanda Send a message via Yahoo to Audrey's Aunt Amanda
I'm not a parent, but Mother's Knowing Best is subjective. What works for one mother may not work for another mother.

PLUMCOSM
Purple Plums, just one more helping
Just SOME of my favorite names!

June 30th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Keepin' it real!
Depends on the situation and the child.

If:
Child is walking in a parking lot---I should take his hand.
Child is super sick---I should get medical care
Child is getting picked on---I should step in

These things obviously are situations where parents DO know best.

But that doesn't mean we know best when it comes to certain things. Like for example: My kids each want to do something different with their lives. I could push college on them, but it may not be the best thing for me to do. I could inadvertently cause rebellion.
I could show the kids scary movies and ONE may be too scared to see it.
I could tell the kids to have a soda at a birthday party, and one kid might just hate soda.
I could buy a Justin Bieber poster for my daughter's room and find out she changed her mind and likes someone from Big Time Rush, lol hehe.

No one can be perfect! lol Except OBVIOUSLY, "hey where's perry" lol

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
July 2nd, 2012, 05:56 PM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
Having had the mom I had, I feel safe to say no.

Though, as a parent.. No matter if you're a mom or dad, if you know your child and know the situation then maybe you DO know your child's best but we're human and sometimes, we make mistakes but if you have your childs best in mind then you may feel like you do know the best but always remember that we're still learning and growing as a parent, each and every day.

July 3rd, 2012, 11:11 AM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not sure I always know best, but I know my daughter best. I just have (very limited) anecdotal experience. A while back, I felt like my daughter was coming down with a UTI. She was exhibiting symptoms close to the ones she had when she got the first one, including a fever, so I took her to the doctor. I was not able to see my regular pediatrician. I had given her some Tylenol beforehand, so she would be comfortable. The doctor checked her out, but couldn't find a source of fever. She didn't do a cath to check her urine. She said "Oh, she just has a cold, these have been going around. If her fever comes back up, bring her in." Well... her fever never did go all the way back up, but for a week, it never came all the way down. It eventually spiked again, so I took her back in. They attempted to cath her that time, but couldn't because they discovered a labial adhesion that was keeping urine from getting out and was causing.... UTI's!!! I knew something more was going on, but because someone had an MD, I let them talk me out of my gut feeling. So in that instance, yes, yes I did know best. I'll never let someone discredit my "mommy intuition" again.

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
July 5th, 2012, 04:30 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by over.the.moon View Post
I kind of hate this saying because when I play the "I'm her mom, I know" card I get to hear "Well you're not her real mother", which is, well, true. I'm not her bio-mom. I'm marrying her bio-mom, but I didn't carry her inside me for 9 months (actually 42 weeks, she was on her own scheduel and still is). I wasn't there when she took her first steps, or said her first words, I came into the game later. But I'm still her mom. And I still know her. I know when she won't eat, she's sick. And if she won't go swimming, her ears are bugging her. She likes it when I sing her Soft Kitty, she loves the Avengers (Iron Man and Blackwidow are her favorites), and she wants to be Velma from Scooby Doo when she grows up. So yeah, I know her, and a lot of the time I do know whats best for her. And the rest is guess work based on what I know and what my intuition tells me.

I won't use "mother knows best" as a blanket statement though. Pleanty of moms suck at being moms, see: Courtney Love. I do think parents in general know their kids pretty well, so they at least try to do what they think is right most of the time. Hopefully.
People are so ignorant!

As a foster parent, I can most definitely say NO, mother does not always know best. Outside of that experience, I believe no mother always knows or does what is best. We can't predict the future. We do what we believe is best for our kids, but it could end up harming them (such as forcing college as a PP explained). Parenting is a lot of research, a lot of trial and error, and a lot of luck!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search