Mother knows best

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 27th, 2012, 08:22 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I hear this line a lot from women for all sorts of things regarding parenting. Do you believe that as a mother you always know best?
February 27th, 2012, 08:51 PM
birdblue's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
no.

Thank you so much Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!

February 27th, 2012, 08:57 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
No way. I am always learning as a mother. I would never claim to know what the best thing for my child is all the time.

February 27th, 2012, 09:10 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Nope.

It's not humanly possible to always know best, even for yourself, much less for others. Everyone makes wrong choices, bad decisions, etc...
birdblue likes this.
February 27th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Quantum_Leap's Avatar frequent flier
What do you mean, exactly? Are you asking if mothers tend to know better than fathers what is best for their children?

Thank you to the SSMC makers for my beautiful siggies!

(x2)(x2)(October 2011)
February 28th, 2012, 06:20 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't think I make every decision perfectly but if it comes to a decision about the kids, I get final say because I do know whats best for them. Since I am the primary parent, I know what they need better than he does.
Fluffy Baby likes this.
February 28th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If we're just talking in general, no.
If we're talking specific situations, sometimes mom does know best.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
February 28th, 2012, 07:06 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
No way. Are there times when we know whats best because we've been there, ya. But it's not an end all solution.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

February 28th, 2012, 08:30 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I ment in general.

I think as moms, and even dads, we're always learning. And even in the just 4 1/2 years that ds1 has been on this Earth, I have come a long ways. Some things we do are by instincts, well most of it, but some things we've had to adjust to specific needs of our kids. I also think we can learn a lot from other parents, both older and newer.
February 28th, 2012, 12:11 PM
*SamF*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *SamF*
Absolutely not in a general sense. Think off all the mothers you have heard spout stupidity regarding their children and their needs. Like- Mother knows best when she gives her baby Mountain Dew, because well, she's the mom.

In some situations- sure, you spend the most time with your child, you are going to pick up on things and know tings more so than others.
birdblue likes this.

February 28th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
As a general rule, I know best because my son says I'm the bestest mom ever in the whole wide world.

But truth be told....I'm just a mom.

I don't strive to be supermom. I don't want to beat every other woman out there at the game of "Mom". I don't think I'm better than everyone else. I don't think I'm above all else. I don't believe that my mistakes are somehow different from mistakes other moms make.
Most importantly, I'm smart enough to know that nothing, and no one, in this world is perfect, including me.

I do what I can, when I can. When what I can do isn't the best, I learn, and when/if given the chance later, I do better. I don't magically have all the answers stored neatly in my grey matter simply because I have children. To be honest, I'm kinda glad I don't have all the answers. I'd never get my shirts over the the big noggin' I'd need to store all that data.
BittyBugsMama likes this.
February 29th, 2012, 06:58 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
I'm the best mom on this planet.
HappyHippy likes this.
March 1st, 2012, 11:44 AM
Undomesticated Housewife's Avatar Master(de)bater
Not really. I believe that MY mother knows best, usually. lol I still call her about EVERY. SINGLE. THING.
plan4fate likes this.
March 3rd, 2012, 09:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
No.

For example, as I raise my toddler who is in day care, for some issues I think his teachers know best. Or at least better. Something like potty training--they have gone through it with dozens of children. Some maybe hundreds. I have never done it. I can read about it, and talk to other parents, but the best way to approach something can be by experience.
March 4th, 2012, 03:44 AM
MindyRambo's Avatar Super Mommy
I remember being little and mom and dad maybe disagreeing about something I asked to do or something like that... Then I would go sulk, and dad would never admit it to mom, but he would to me. He would say your mom knows best. She's never been wrong about anything that matters. Of course he'd never say this to her, not even to this day, but he would admit it to us kids at times

You think the only people who are people, are the people who look and think like you, but if you walk the footsteps of stranger, you'll learn things you knew... you never knew.
March 6th, 2012, 09:14 PM
Veteran
Pffft, no way do I know best. I do make decent guesses and am great at pretending I know almost right with the kids at least.
Gerard 3 12/08 and baby Daria 05/11
And expecting baby number 5 this fall!

March 7th, 2012, 06:14 AM
WineKeepsMeSane's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Heck no. Especially when I hear/see someone use this argument to defend something really asinine and outdated. "It's my child, I know best!!!!" No, you don't, because you clearly haven't researched it. You can't use the "mom" reason as a blanket defense for stupidity.

April 14th, 2012, 09:15 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
Not always, but in my case yes

I used to royally p**s my ex off because I always made the final decison.
June 16th, 2012, 07:17 PM
.:Kati:.'s Avatar kyler's mommy
Nope,being a first time mom i'm still learning and i encourage input from my mom or sister on what to do.

June 16th, 2012, 08:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
In general, no.

Obviously there are certain times when I know best, like when my 4yr old wants ice cream for breakfast, and I say, "No, ice cream is not a breakfast food"

But life is all about learning, there is no person who knows everything, we learn up until the day we die, life would be so uninteresting if we didn't. So no one knows best all the time.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search