24 yr old wins 1 million dollars & still collects welfare

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 9th, 2012, 05:42 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
The asset limit for food assistance in Ohio is also $2,000, and it sounds perfectly reasonable to me. It's right around roughly one month income for the average worker in this state, or thereabouts anyway. I believe that might be where the limit came from. Can't remember now though.

The assistance is there for those who need it. Not those who want to keep holding onto other monetary assets simply because they don't want to spend them. $5k, imo, is ridiculously high. I don't even make anywhere near that in two months' time, and we're doing just fine. If we weren't, well then adjustments need to be made.
It's not impossible to make money last, when you make wise decisions. Yeah crap can happen. It doesn't always though. When you're down on your luck, your first step ought to be doing whatever you can for yourself, before looking to others to help you. That includes making use of whatever assets you might have.
It's not fun to be in that position, but millions do it every single day.
Cost of living may vary, but, still, many people manage just fine on less.

In a state where that many people are on assistance, including both those who truly need and perhaps even those who don't, one would think the asset limit would be lower. It might just help weed out some of the people who really don't need it.
March 10th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Keepin' it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
Selfish and immoral, yes, illegal nope, so technically she (and anyone else who wins the lottery) can do the same thing with no consequences.
Where I live, it's illegal. Sorry, but it is. Anything over $500 in one month is to be reported regardless of if it's income (worked) or not income (i.e. child support, loans, etc).

Also, it's not OUR responsibility or anyone else's to make sure she knows how to manage her money. If she's smart enough to use cash assistance to get a lotto card, surely she can get herself a checkbook and balance it. And if not, with her newfound million, she could have hired someone to allow her to learn how to budget. She chose not to. She should have to pay the welfare back from the date she received her first compensation. Sorry.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
March 10th, 2012, 11:53 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I'm pretty sure they probably will make her pay it back. They're supposed to anyway. Though I know they don't always. Since this made international news, it's quite likely they'll use her as a fine example of exactly what NOT to do. If they don't, they're going to have one lovely mess on their hands.

I bet she feels like a horse's *** right about now too. Not for taking the assistance of course(quite clear she finds it amusing), but for going on tv and advertising that she not only now has a **** ton of money, but also stole from the state, and every mouth that actually NEEDS that assistance.
April 14th, 2012, 09:23 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
I HAVE TWO HOUSES.

Sell one *****.
April 18th, 2012, 09:13 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Michigan lottery winner charged with welfare fraud
Looks like she's been charged with faud.

And her mom says
Amanda Clayton, Michigan lottery winner, charged with welfare fraud - Crimesider - CBS News
Quote:

Meanwhile, Amanda Clayton's mother, Euline Clayton, told reporters that her
daughter didn't use her best judgement but that this criminal case is "crap."
She said Amanda called the Human Services Department about her winnings but
could never reach anyone.
I have to roll my eyes at that comment because, even if she did call, if she didn't get a response, she could just as easily go down to the office in person. I'm sure she would have done that had the state missed sending her a check one month.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 18th, 2012, 10:06 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
My husband told me about this last night. First word out of my mouth was GOOD!

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

April 18th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I'm glad they did charge her.

Even if she did call them and "couldn't reach" anyone, I've never heard of an office like that not having some kind of voicemail/answering machine. So, yeah, she's a twit and deserves everything she gets....except that money, she doesn't deserve that, anymore.
April 27th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Doralovinmomma's Avatar and hell is just a sauna
Send a message via AIM to Doralovinmomma Send a message via Yahoo to Doralovinmomma
its women like her that give those of us here who need it bad names. we dont get cash assistance, just insurance and some help for food(both hubby and i work) but people always assume we are lazy bums. ugh so annoying., i would kill for 500000. it would be beyond enough.

on a related note it is nearly impossible to get ahold of c aseworkers here. and before you say supervisors, yeah they dont answer either. yes they have answering machines but they still dont call you back. but as someone above said you can take a trip down there and wait to be seen by your worker. but she was probably not caring enough to stay down there and wait all day. we have had to do that before

Thank you Niamh for my awesome blinkies!! And Vicki... for my fantastic siggy

April 28th, 2012, 10:36 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
I'm glad they did charge her.

Even if she did call them and "couldn't reach" anyone, I've never heard of an office like that not having some kind of voicemail/answering machine. So, yeah, she's a twit and deserves everything she gets....except that money, she doesn't deserve that, anymore.
Have you ever dealt with the system? Not saying she couldn't have found another way, but it's not a rare occurrence to leave MANY voicemails and never receive a return call. She could have went on a walk-in day of course, but I'm saying that the fact that she couldn't get ahold of anyone is not out of the norm.

April 28th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
Have you ever dealt with the system? Not saying she couldn't have found another way, but it's not a rare occurrence to leave MANY voicemails and never receive a return call. She could have went on a walk-in day of course, but I'm saying that the fact that she couldn't get ahold of anyone is not out of the norm.
Yep. I left a voicemail once telling them exactly what I felt, didn't make any threats, but it sure got their attention. The lady told me I may never be able to step foot in a social services office again and I would have to meet a caseworker in a common area like McDonalds or something... I told her that was perfect because the decoration and workers are much better at McDonalds.

I don't receive assistance now, thank goodness, because I would probably have to be on BP medication.

ETA: I found with my experiences, that being a PITA worked better than being nice when dealing with social services.
April 28th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
I sure have dealt with the system. I've dealt with a super ****** one-where we used to live, and one that was fantastic(where we currently live). The onus still lies with you, the recipient, to get a hold of them when you need to report something. The responsibility for making certain changes are made doesn't sit with them when your income changes, or your household changes, etc... Even when the system sucks and you're dealing with people who couldn't give two ****s less about you or anyone else, the responsibility for making certain changes are reported sits with you. I've had to play the stupid cat and mouse games with family services more times than I care to count. I wouldn't call once, twice, even a few times, and then simply say "I couldn't get a hold of them" though. Especially not on national tv. Going up there to sit all day isn't always an option, and I understand that completely. It's not really something I recommend unless you literally have no other option. But that's not your only recourse.

I'm not convinced she actually tried to get a hold of them though.
foxfire_ga79 likes this.
May 7th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Id think theyd cut her off at least until her assets wore out..

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search