24 yr old wins 1 million dollars & still collects welfare

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Okay, so after taxes and deciding on the lump sum, she's left with about $500,000. She has bought a new house(she now owns two) and a new vehicle. She is unemployed so she feels she deserves welfare.
Lottery winner still using Michigan Bridge card | Local 4 Defenders - Home
Quote:
"I feel that it's okay because I mean, I have no income and I have bills to pay," she said. "I have two houses."
Quote:
Unless the law changes, it doesn't look like lottery winners will be changing their ways. Clayton said she will keep using her Bridge card until the state cuts her off. She said it's because she deserves it.
"It's just hard, you know. I'm struggling," she said.
Is she selfish for not discontinuing welfare or does she deserve to continue using taxpayer $ when she really isn't needy?

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Last edited by Tammyjh; March 7th, 2012 at 04:40 AM.
March 7th, 2012, 04:45 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Totally selfish. Welfare funds aren't unlimited. She should discontinue hers so they can be used by someone who truly needs it.
March 7th, 2012, 05:43 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Beyond selfish.

$500k, would have my family living darn pretty for quite a few years-without me working(which wouldn't happen, realistically, I wouldn't stop working even if I did come across a large sum). That would include a hefty buffer(roughly 40-50%) for emergencies, or unplanned events, a new house with land, nice stockpile of necessities, fun extra stuff, helping my mom out, donations to some of our fav charities.....you get my point.

$500k is one HEFTY sum for a lot of people(yeah, I know, not everyone, but surely folks who are really struggling).
Sometimes I wish people got slapped upside the head with reality, every now and then.

You're supposed to turn in your OWN income changes, not wait for them to do the **** work for you. Just because they didn't magically cut her off, doesn't automatically mean she's "worthy" of keeping it. I find it kind of sickening she even gets $200 a month, to begin with, when so many families can't even get near that amount. Especially in areas that are known for being well below poverty level.

I am glad both the senate and house have bills that will prevent this crap from happening. I still find it rather sad they even NEED a bill, but at least it's there, and in motion.

This chick is gonna get one nasty wakeup call when she finds out she has to pay back every penny she already got in state assistance when they do cut her off. It's retroactive, to the moment she got that money. By then she'll probably have already spent her $500k, then she really won't know what to do.

I still can't figure out why she's not working, although I DO understand the job market some places is beyond terrible. But with that extra padding of $500k, even a minimum wage job would be something, and would speak volumes about her as a person. Rather than sitting on her ***, being a smartass about how deserving she is, and wasting what little bit of resources she gets that could benefit someone in true need.
March 7th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Selfish and immoral, yes, illegal nope, so technically she (and anyone else who wins the lottery) can do the same thing with no consequences.

March 7th, 2012, 06:41 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Are you f'n kidding me? I'd kill for that money right now. Uggg it's people like this that piss me off. Talk about abusing the system. You don't have a job but own two houses and a car? How about rent one house out and boom instant income. Dumb arse!

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

March 7th, 2012, 06:43 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ugh. That is so ridiculous. Shes acting like she is a victim, whining about not having a job and having two houses... boo hoo. Its hard to find a job in MI but its not THAT hard.
March 7th, 2012, 07:44 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
$500,000 is my salaray for 10 years. 10 years. WITHOUT taxes. And without daycare expenses. I don't think she has kid(s), but I'm just saying, DS and I live 1/10 of that a year, plus take out taxes and $10,000 per year in child care. That means, if she's just supporting herself, she could quite easily make it 12-15 years on JUST the lottery money. That's it. I understand that job market isn't the best, but if you have $500,000, you save it, invest it, and use the 10 years it gives you to look for a job, or even finish school and THEN look for a job. No 24 year old will be unemployed for 10 years if they are actively pursuing a job. Or, as one of the previous posters mentioned, get a minimum wage job or a part time job to supplement while you wait for a better job. Staying on welfare is ridiculous. With 2 houses!? Why does she need 2 houses that she now struggles to afford? Seriously? I'm just...flabbergasted at this whole idea. I have nothing against state aid, but it's there to support people and help them TEMPORARILY while they get on their feet. Not to sustain them forever so they can afford cars and multiple houses.

And yes, I will be the first to agree that it's difficult to find a job in Michigan, and to sell a house in Michigan. I had to move out of state to get a job. If you have $500,000, you have plenty to support yourself in a move. And if you can't sell your house, don't buy another one! Wait until you can (or until you can afford to keep both houses) or rent the first one until you find a buyer. Plus, the poor job market in Michigan means that there are a large number of deserving people who NEED food assistance and welfare right now. People who would give anything for $500,000 and use it to better their situation.

March 7th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I feel bad for her because it must be hard to have to "struggle" to make ends meet like that.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
March 7th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I gotta give her credit for her massive cajones. It's gotta take one heck of a package to actually go on the news and say that crap...and hope it doesn't catch up with you.

Something tells me she regretted it the moment she walked back in that door.
March 7th, 2012, 10:17 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Struggling people don't buy new homes and new vehicles. I am beyond disgusted right now.
March 7th, 2012, 11:43 AM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
ugh... that's just freaking awful. That's nearly 10 years income for us (more so depending on how many weeks work DH gets a year)!

I mean, yeah, if we won a huge sum of money he'd stop working.... but we wouldn't be going looking for gov't assistance at the same time.

March 7th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Pleione's Avatar Momtographer
I was reading this earlier and could do nothing but shake my head. I don't think she'll be sitting pretty for the rest of her life, but that's enough money to get her on the right track to better herself. College, school, people to help her find a job.

Anything is better than spending it and then still collecting from the government.
March 7th, 2012, 11:24 PM
MrsLMB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good grief... when DS's dad left me with a baby and no where to live while I was in college I couldn't get welfare. I worked a part time job and made $7 an hour and I couldn't qualify for assistance, when I REALLY needed it.

Hopefully something changes after all this honkey.

Thank you to *Kiliki* for the pretty siggy!
www.leannebraniff.com
March 8th, 2012, 01:08 PM
Update.
Michigan lottery winner loses government food aid - chicagotribune.com

Quote:
Michigan’s Department of Human Services has cut off $200 a month in food aid to Amanda Clayton in the wake of media reports that she had won $1 million in the state lottery in September. To make matters worse for Clayton, who lives in Lincoln Park near Detroit, her case has been turned over to state anti-fraud officials. "DHS relies on clients being forthcoming about their actual financial status,” Department of Human Services Director Maura D. Corrigan said in a prepared statement. “If they are not, and continue to accept benefits, they may face criminal investigation and be required to pay back those benefits.”

March 9th, 2012, 12:20 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I just read an article that says this
Quote:
The state (being Michigan) has since banned anyone with assets of more than $5,000, excluding a car, from the food stamp program. That ban knocked Fick (the last guy that still got assistance after winning the lotto) off the rolls.
I think that's a ridiculously low number. How long would 5000 last YOU? Then you take into consideration how long it takes to get back on to assistance after you excluded yourself. Heck if this were my circumstances we would have to go off and on every year after we get taxes back!

March 9th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repti.Mom View Post
I just read an article that says this

I think that's a ridiculously low number. How long would 5000 last YOU? Then you take into consideration how long it takes to get back on to assistance after you excluded yourself. Heck if this were my circumstances we would have to go off and on every year after we get taxes back!
That sounds high to me. I think the asset limit is around $2,000 to $3,000 in my state.

March 9th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Now I'm curious to see the limit in NYC. I'll look into that. But 5K does seem high to me also.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)

March 9th, 2012, 04:11 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
I think 5,000 is high. I believe Ohio's asset limit is $2,000, though I do remember something not long ago about them doing away with the limit all together.

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

March 9th, 2012, 04:59 PM
Just checked NYC and it's 2000 or 3250 if someone in the household is 60 or over. So, with that in mind and how high the cost of living is here. 5K is darn generous by a state that has a fairly low cost of living.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search