School Lunches Pink Slime Option

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree24Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2012, 02:22 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
No, the real question is this: why is the meat industry sending fake mommy trolls around to mommy boards to try to convince us their product is safe?

I actually have no problem with the meat industry processing beef however they want, provided they are disclosing to consumers about the fact that they are using subpar animal products that are covered with e coli and then washing it in ammonia gas. If they state that on their packaging and people make an educated decision to buy it, I am fine with that.

Ps, I think your definition of "safe and nutritious" is different from most people.
I 100% agree
April 16th, 2012, 02:37 PM
so because i believe that the company that makes lfbt than you think that i'm not a mommy that insists on healthy food for my kids...maybe you should do some of your own research and open your mind to the other side of the story...it's people like you that feed in to ridiculous "frenzies" like this one.
April 16th, 2012, 02:55 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmc_mommy View Post
so because i believe that the company that makes lfbt than you think that i'm not a mommy that insists on healthy food for my kids...maybe you should do some of your own research and open your mind to the other side of the story...it's people like you that feed in to ridiculous "frenzies" like this one.
LOL! Wanting food labels to say exactly what they contain is feeding into a ridiculous frenzy? Ok then. Can you please teach us what is so healthy about LFBT and why labeling on the package is such a bad idea? I'm still 150% convinced you work for a pay for post agency hired by the meat industry to go out and school all us ignorant fold about the dangers of food labeling, but I still want to hear what you have to say.
HappyHippy likes this.
April 16th, 2012, 03:04 PM
You mean research like this?

"other processed meats can raise the risk of heart disease and diabetes"
Study suggests processed meat a real health risk | Reuters

"Previous studies showed a link between processed meats and colon cancer" AND "The good news, however, is that nitrates aren't found in many organic meats."
Processed Meat Increases Risk of Pancreatic Cancer - Health & Science - CBN News - Christian News 24-7 - CBN.com

Red Meat, Processed Meat Linked to Diabetes Risk

"Eating processed meats like hot dogs, bacon and deli meat could increase your risk for heart disease and diabetes compared to eating unprocessed red meats like beef and lamb, according to a new study. " Processed Meats and Heart Disease - ABC News

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/28/he...brod.html?_r=1

"most ground beef contains a processed meat byproduct called "pink slime." More delicately known as "lean finely textured beef trimmings," this product is made from connective tissue (versus meat muscle) and fat, and is treated with ammonium hydroxide to kill salmonella and E. coli. " Pink slime and red meat — What's the takeaway? - MayoClinic.com
plan4fate and fluffycheeks like this.
April 17th, 2012, 08:32 AM
obviously eating lots of processed meats like hotdogs and bacon that is linked with a lot of fat WILL be a detrimental factor to your health. i agree with you there...also making sure that you have a healthy diet and consume all types of meats veggies and fruits is a good idea also. buying LEAN hamburger is also important ...and the leaner you buy it...the more it costs but the better it is for your body.

from what a i have read of the LFTB, the product is actually LEAN BEEF taken from these fats, separated, and then mixed into your fattier hamburger AT YOUR GROCER...it is not processed with salts and preservatives...except for the ammonium hydroxide that is a processing agent that eliminates any microbes.

i don't see any reason why this would not be a good thing to add to our huge demand of hamburger...as for labeling...they could put "treated with ammonium hydroxide during the processing procedure", however, i understand that the ammonium hydroxide is dissipated once it is ground up and mixed with other hamburger. So lets label it Ground Beef with LFTB? What is LFTB? Lean beef. Makes sense, huh?

So if you choose to buy mostly organic meats, all the power to ya

as for me and my family, we choose lean ground beef and eat lots of veggies and fruits to maintain a healthy diet...we may have a few hotdogs or a pizza once in awiile.... hamburger made with LFTB is NOT bad for you, it is what MAKES hamburger leaner and it is safe....
April 17th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
mmc_mommy,
Do you have sources?

Also, why join a mommy site just for this specific debate?

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 17th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Quote:
obviously eating lots of processed meats like hotdogs and bacon that is linked with a lot of fat WILL be a detrimental factor to your health. i agree with you there...also making sure that you have a healthy diet and consume all types of meats veggies and fruits is a good idea also. buying LEAN hamburger is also important ...and the leaner you buy it...the more it costs but the better it is for your body.

from what a i have read of the LFTB, the product is actually LEAN BEEF taken from these fats, separated, and then mixed into your fattier hamburger AT YOUR GROCER...it is not processed with salts and preservatives...except for the ammonium hydroxide that is a processing agent that eliminates any microbes.

i don't see any reason why this would not be a good thing to add to our huge demand of hamburger...as for labeling...they could put "treated with ammonium hydroxide during the processing procedure", however, i understand that the ammonium hydroxide is dissipated once it is ground up and mixed with other hamburger. So lets label it Ground Beef with LFTB? What is LFTB? Lean beef. Makes sense, huh?

So if you choose to buy mostly organic meats, all the power to ya

as for me and my family, we choose lean ground beef and eat lots of veggies and fruits to maintain a healthy diet...we may have a few hotdogs or a pizza once in awiile.... hamburger made with LFTB is NOT bad for you, it is what MAKES hamburger leaner and it is safe....
Can you provide us with some research saying that the ammonium hydroxide is dissipated, and leaves no residue on the meat? Can you provide us with some science to back up that the LFBT is "NOT bad for you" and "is safe?"
April 17th, 2012, 08:52 AM
Most of the links I provided talked about processed beef and/or specifically pink slime. A PP said we should have that on the lable so that people know the beef was treated with chemcials, and then you told us that the beef was safe and so on. So......
April 17th, 2012, 09:37 AM
meatsafety.org/ht/d/sp/i/76540/pid/76540
April 17th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Quote:
meatsafety.org/ht/d/sp/i/76540/pid/76540
On the front page
Quote:
The materials contained in this Web Site are not intended as safety advice to
any party but as guidelines
What is it you want us to read over there?

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 17th, 2012, 10:33 AM
Clearly that is an unbiased site...
April 17th, 2012, 12:53 PM
there are some good links on that page that support LFTB
April 17th, 2012, 01:52 PM

Last edited by mmc_mommy; April 17th, 2012 at 02:10 PM.
April 17th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Can't you just copy and paste the link? Do you not read what you just posted? We're suppose to get what out of that?
April 17th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Quote:
Dang, I missed it! What did it say?
April 17th, 2012, 02:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
Dang, I missed it! What did it say?
Its was text with a lot of asteriks in between all the words and letters making it very hard to read.

April 17th, 2012, 02:23 PM
sheesh...sorry...i'm dealing with a new apple computer (which i am finding out I am hating) and some crappy connectivity issues, i think....maybe it's just the apple....grr. ...their shortcuts are totally different!!! sorry.
April 17th, 2012, 02:37 PM
All you have to do is copy the link to which site you're looking at and then post the link here. Easy peasy.
April 17th, 2012, 02:57 PM
I GUESS BEING A NEWBIE...MY HTML CODE IS NOT TURNED ON YET.

Anyway... back to my original discussion point...LFTB has gotten some bad media yet the product has been proven to be safe and nutritious. So here is what I have read about Pink slime is Gross. Exactly. That is what the term was intended to do…make you say…ewww gross!! But this issue is mostly a difference of opinions and the only way the media could emit such a frenzy is to give is a gross name. The Media has portrayed this product to be “gross” but have deemed it healthy, nutritious and valuable to the world’s production of ground beef. If you are wondering how it is produced…read on….otherwise stop here as you may not want to know that it’s not as “gross” as you may believe it to be.
The trimmings are bought from meat packing plants. Some pieces have some lean on them and some have just a little lean on them. They are NOT scraped off the floor…they are not intestines from the cow or cow lips or any other gross thing you may be thinking…these trimmings are cut from prime ribs, roasts, briskets and other quality pieces of lean muscle meat. The trimmings are sent to a centrifuge where they are separated from the fat…you know how bacon has intertwined lean and fat….same type of thing. The fat is separated from the lean and the small lean pieces are sent one way down the line and the fat is sent another way to be used for other products. The lean beef is then treated with an ammonium hydroxide gas to make sure that every type of strain of e-coli is removed. The lean meat then goes through a grinder when then is flash frozen and sent to grocers and other companies. These companies use the lean finely textured beef to mix into their own ground hamburger as a way to control the percentage of fat content. For example…this is how you are able to buy 90% lean ground beef or 80% or 95%...etc. If you bought your own piece of rump roast, round steak, chuck roast and had your butcher grind it and blend it, the process would be similar. If you did this by hand, I’m sure that you would take the tedious time to make sure you scraped every bit of lean meat from the fat with a sharp knife….put it into your grinder and receive the same results as your grocer. The Ammonium Hydroxide is used a safety precaution during the processing process to ENSURE there is no e-coli. The ammonium hydroxide is used only as a processing agent and is not an ingredient. The entire plant is shut down every evening where all processing machines are taken apart and are sanitized from top to bottom. The inside of the building is made completely of stainless steel and the air is purified constantly. The process has been approved by the USDA and the FDA and several safety councils. This LFTB product has been shown to make your hamburger more nutritious as well as being 100% safe. Labeling has been an issue but there is no other way to label it except for Beef with added Beef! What is more concerning is not the process but the media frenzy surrounding the term. Of course anything with the term “slime” associated is going to be gross.
As I have been reading the past few weeks, a lot of this issue has also turned into whether or not your believe in buying “organic” or not….Vegan or not...and then it turns into the issue of sensationalism vs. fact…then it turns into an issue of economics. You may find that in the US that our beef will be shipped in from other countries just to keep up with the supply and demand. Now to me…THAT is disturbing. An American Hamburger (made in Australia) People in the United States are still going to eat beef and it will have to come from somewhere. Why not make is as safe as possible? Bottom line...the processing is called TECHNOLOGY and INNOVATION...and the LFTB is called BEEF. Simple as that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search