Treyvon Martin Situation

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree39Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 23rd, 2012, 02:38 PM
Keepin' it real!
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
All the boy did was walk down the street of a gated community. One where he had either a friend or a family member living there.
That's what I mean. He didn't "do" anything. It's such a sad case. I feel bad for his parents.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
March 24th, 2012, 07:02 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
This is an interesting read from a perspective that I personally couldn't understand without reading it from someone who has lived it. Its sad that things are still this way this day in age.

The Associated Press: Trayvon Martin, my son, and the Black Male Code
plan4fate likes this.
March 27th, 2012, 12:21 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate

New York State Senator Eric Adams

(he posted it on his Facebook page)

I think this is a wonderful show of support

This story saddens me so much. I admit.. people with hoodies up and their face covered scare me (this goes for scarves too). The color of their skin or their gender doesn't matter.. but I really dislike not being able to see the people around me. But that wouldn't give me the right to kill one of them and claim self defense or that I felt scared.

I hope Fl rethinks that law. I ready somewhere that "self defense" deaths have tripled since it was passed.
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
March 27th, 2012, 12:59 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Has anyone seen the reports of the other side of the story? I saw it yeseterday, but can't find anything today. Something about witnesses backing up Zimmerman's side of the story that he was repeatedly punched by Martin. Also, the "good boy" image is being questioned over his facebook and tweets over time, something 2 weeks before his death in which he talks about punching a bus driver in the face I believe, as well as a recent suspension over marijuana residue in his backpack.

Also, they are trying to trademark, "I am Travyon", which really raises questions about motive of the supporters, namely the likes of Al Sharpton and Rev Jackson who, to me, are nothing better than lawyer ambulance chasers.

There is also a shirt circulating with the words "punk *** cracker" in reference to Zimmerman. I may be wrong, but isn't he Hispanic, not Caucasian? I've only heard the word in reference to Caucasians, so I'm kind of unclear as to why someone would make a shirt like this. It seems to me that this is being made a minority vs. majority issue, when really it involved two minorities.

TTC our Rainbow Baby to complete our family.

Last edited by *Leslie*; March 27th, 2012 at 01:05 PM.
March 27th, 2012, 01:22 PM
I've been reading a lot about the case. A 17 year old punching a 22 year old doesn't warrant him pulling out a gun and shooting him. Trayvon was pursued by Zimmerman, he even got away from Zimmerman at some point and when Zimmerman saw him - he confronted him again. Martin had the right to defend himself according to the same law that Zimmerman is trying to hide behind for why he shot Martin.

The things I've read about Martin are talking about petty theft, vandalism and a marijuana charge... nothing that huge in the scope of things. I don't think Zimmerman is an innocent party in this and I sure as hell think the fact that Martin had a hoodie on his head made Zimmerman perk up and take notice. From what I've read about Zimmerman, he was a cop wanna be that didn't make the cut and he was overzealous in his neighborhood watch route. The 911 operator told Zimmerman not to follow Martin, he ignored them and eventually, he killed him. If Zimmerman is claiming self defense, the only reason he had to defend himself is because he pursued the person hes claiming assaulted him. When I think someone is dangerous, I call 911 and let the real cops do the job. Not put myself in a situation where I could get hurt or hurt someone and I sure as hell wouldn't pull out my 9mm for any reason other than the fact that the other person was pointing one at me.
March 27th, 2012, 01:32 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ View Post

This story saddens me so much. I admit.. people with hoodies up and their face covered scare me (this goes for scarves too). The color of their skin or their gender doesn't matter.. but I really dislike not being able to see the people around me. But that wouldn't give me the right to kill one of them and claim self defense or that I felt scared.

I hope Fl rethinks that law. I ready somewhere that "self defense" deaths have tripled since it was passed.
I can understand that feeling, it makes me nervous too. I've just learned not to get irrational over it. I edge over a bit more to give us more room and if I truly feel threatened, I walk down the street with my keys in between my fingers. It's a great scratch mechanism.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

March 27th, 2012, 01:37 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
Has anyone seen the reports of the other side of the story? I saw it yeseterday, but can't find anything today. Something about witnesses backing up Zimmerman's side of the story that he was repeatedly punched by Martin. Also, the "good boy" image is being questioned over his facebook and tweets over time, something 2 weeks before his death in which he talks about punching a bus driver in the face I believe, as well as a recent suspension over marijuana residue in his backpack.

Also, they are trying to trademark, "I am Travyon", which really raises questions about motive of the supporters, namely the likes of Al Sharpton and Rev Jackson who, to me, are nothing better than lawyer ambulance chasers.

There is also a shirt circulating with the words "punk *** cracker" in reference to Zimmerman. I may be wrong, but isn't he Hispanic, not Caucasian? I've only heard the word in reference to Caucasians, so I'm kind of unclear as to why someone would make a shirt like this. It seems to me that this is being made a minority vs. majority issue, when really it involved two minorities.
I was hearing a bit about the other side this morning. From what I remember hearing, the MJ suspension happened in JHS, not recently. Could be wrong. I couldn't really hear what the new reporter was saying as I was getting ready for work.

Sharpton and Jackson so tick me off. They always end up hurting over helping.

Zimmerman is Hispanic but considered a "white" one due to his skin color, just as I am. I would have to agree that some are truly running with the race card here. This sad case has gone beyond what has transpired and now people are using it to forward their own agenda.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

March 27th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:

Yes, I have read some of it and whats being reported now is that Zimmerman told police he was on his way back to his van when the altercation happened. He said Martin punched him in the face knocking him down and then started to bash his head into the sidewalk. He had a broken nose and the back of his head was bloody. I don't know if he needed stitches or not. I don't know what to think at this point. Just going to wait and see how it all plays out.

Trayvon's mom has filed to trademark 2 phrases with his name in it. Not sure how I feel about that.

Jackson and Sharpton only want to incite racial tensions.

Zimmerman's has been referred to as white or a white Hispanic because his father is white and his mother is Hispanic. I agree that this whole case is being politicized.

Trayvon Martin: George Zimmerman's account to police of the Trayvon Martin shooting. - Orlando Sentinel
Quote:
With a single punch, Trayvon Martin decked the Neighborhood Watch volunteer who eventually shot and killed the unarmed 17-year-old, then Trayvon climbed on top of George Zimmerman and slammed his head into the sidewalk, leaving him bloody and battered, law-enforcement authorities told the Orlando Sentinel.
That is the account Zimmerman gave police, and much of it has been corroborated by witnesses, authorities say. There have been no reports that a witness saw the initial punch Zimmerman told police about.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
March 27th, 2012, 02:02 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ok, see I feel that this whole thing was a huge misunderstanding. I think that Zimmerman ignored being told to stop following him. Martin was spooked because he was being followed. Martin attacked out of fear Zimmerman, Zimmerman shot and killed him.

I am curious as to why Zimmerman had a gun on him when FL law says that neighborhood watch cannot carry guns even if they have a CCW permit. I want to know why he was not arrested on this alone.

I also think FL is taking it's time because of the Casey Anthony fiasco. They arrest too soon, he could walk. Now, if they arrest it may look like the lynch mob triggered an arrest. They are stuck between a rock and a hard place. I think Zimmerman should be in trouble, but as to murder, I am not sure.

As for the actual STAND YOUR GROUND law, I 100% support it and you dammed right I would kill someone if they were trying to hurt me and my family and there was no other option. We need the law to prevent stories like this:
Homeowner, 80, charged in shooting of burglar: 'Do what you have to do' - chicagotribune.com

The law is not the problem. Zimmerman not standing down was what escalated this whole thing.

As to if Martin was a drug dealer, rapists, assasin, whatever, Zimmerman is not law and had no authority here.

Sanford is in the Orlando metropolitan area and they are walking on eggs shells I bet.
foxfire_ga79 likes this.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

March 27th, 2012, 03:11 PM
No one deserves to be shot and killed while unarmed (the degree of the charges will be studied comprehensively I'm sure). While it has nothing to do with the pending legal aspects, it does damage the credibility of supporters who are pretending that this teenager was perfect. I keep seeing this sweet little face on a picture, it was from when he was 12. Why not find a more recent photo? I think the media is only damaging race relations with this nonsense.

I think there are a lot of facts yet to be presented, so I'm reserved on what charges I think should be applicable at this point.

March 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
I've been reading a lot about the case. A 17 year old punching a 22 year old doesn't warrant him pulling out a gun and shooting him. Trayvon was pursued by Zimmerman, he even got away from Zimmerman at some point and when Zimmerman saw him - he confronted him again. Martin had the right to defend himself according to the same law that Zimmerman is trying to hide behind for why he shot Martin.

The things I've read about Martin are talking about petty theft, vandalism and a marijuana charge... nothing that huge in the scope of things. I don't think Zimmerman is an innocent party in this and I sure as hell think the fact that Martin had a hoodie on his head made Zimmerman perk up and take notice. From what I've read about Zimmerman, he was a cop wanna be that didn't make the cut and he was overzealous in his neighborhood watch route. The 911 operator told Zimmerman not to follow Martin, he ignored them and eventually, he killed him. If Zimmerman is claiming self defense, the only reason he had to defend himself is because he pursued the person hes claiming assaulted him. When I think someone is dangerous, I call 911 and let the real cops do the job. Not put myself in a situation where I could get hurt or hurt someone and I sure as hell wouldn't pull out my 9mm for any reason other than the fact that the other person was pointing one at me.
Facebook posts indicate that he was dealing marijuana as recently as February. Not sure when the suspension was, but either way, I'm guessing he wasn't having his backpacked searched for nothing.
Again, it does not negate that this 17 year was shot and killed, possibly by no fault of his own. But, it does blow holes in what the media and civil rights activists are trying to get out there, which only furthers race problems.

March 27th, 2012, 04:44 PM
glasscandie's Avatar What I make is what I am
Send a message via AIM to glasscandie Send a message via Yahoo to glasscandie
I really don't see how this case is an issue of race at all. Al Sharpton, Obama, and the progressive media is making it about race. The case is simple. Treyvon attacked Zimmerman, and Zimmerman used his weapon in self defense. I'd do the same thing. Nothing about this story is pretty, and it's a tragedy that it happened. But the media is making it a racial thing, when it's really not.

What the media was showing, the picture of Zimmerman was taken while he was incarcerated for a minor offense, the photo of Treyvon was taken when he was like, 10 years old:

What they actually looked like when it happened:

Oh right. And here's Treyvon's twitters for the past while. His handle is @NO_LIMIT_N**GA. Read through those tweets.
Trayvon Martin Tweets | Twitter Account | The Daily Caller
foxfire_ga79 likes this.
March 27th, 2012, 04:47 PM
The suspension for mj was in Feb. of this year.
U.S. News - Trayvon Martin was suspended three times from school
Quote:
Trayvon Martin, the teenager whose shooting death has sparked a national uproar, was suspended from school last month for having a baggie that contained marijuana residue in his book bag, a family spokesman said Monday.
Alicia, do you have a link for this? I haven't read this one yet and it doesn't sound like its part of the police report or eyewitness accounts so far.
Quote:

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
March 27th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Quote:
Facebook posts indicate that he was dealing marijuana as recently as February. Not sure when the suspension was, but either way, I'm guessing he wasn't having his backpacked searched for nothing.
Again, it does not negate that this 17 year was shot and killed, possibly by no fault of his own. But, it does blow holes in what the media and civil rights activists are trying to get out there, which only furthers race problems.
No one is perfect, I read the tweets that were posted and you know what they sound like? They sound like a great deal of the people who I have on FB who live or like to think they live a gangster lifestyle. They aren't bad people, they aren't hardcore, they are gangsters, they don't belong in a gang, they just talk a certain way that makes them sound more dangerous than they are. Yes, it does perpetuate a stereotype and it does not help stop the kind of stuff that the dad in the blog link I posted was talking about but it is something that they do. So what.

While I do think that Martin was shot because he was a black teenager in an affluent neighborhood who had his hood up, making him look more suspicious than he most likely was - I think that the protests and such are for a different reason. You can bet your butt that any blue eyed, blonde haired cheerleader that got shot in the chest would have her assailant arrested and jailed on the spot. There would be no reason for rallies and there would be no cries for justice, it wouldn't go a month before the media picked it up, she would be raised up as one of America's good girls, gone too soon, etc etc etc. That is what the media does, they make the victim look like they fell from heaven and the bad guy look like he spawned from satan himself, so the fact that they are using the pics they are really makes no difference to me.

Instead, in this case, a 17 year old, black, teenage boy was shot in the chest in the middle of the street during the day. His assailant was found straddled over him by one of the neighbors who came out running when she heard the gunshot. His murderer was on the phone with 911 when the whole thing went down and Martin was on the phone with his girlfriend until seconds before he was shot and even with all of that evidence, there was no arrest. A month later, no arrest. It wasn't until the media got their claws in it and it became national news that someone decided that maybe there is a legal problem here. If NBC and CNN and Fox and Google didn't have Zimmerman and Martin's pictures front and center for weeks - there would have never been any justice for Martin and there still might not be.

So yea, I do think the shooting was racially motivated. And yea, I do think the justice for Martin will only come if enough people stand up and say that anyone who is killed by anyone else deserves justice - regardless of race. And while Al Sharpton will forever annoy the crap out of me, I do not think he is creating or furthering any race issues - I think the race issues are there, hiding under the surface. Kept just quiet enough so that it isn't an issue like it was 80 years ago but it still comes out when things like this happen. It sucks and its sad and it frustrates the hell out of me that this country still hands out justice based on the color of your skin. Maybe its not a nice thing to say but it is the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
The suspension for mj was in Feb. of this year.
U.S. News - Trayvon Martin was suspended three times from school

Alicia, do you have a link for this? I haven't read this one yet and it doesn't sound like its part of the police report or eyewitness accounts so far.
I'll try to find it again, I think I read it on AOL yesterday.
March 27th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Quote:
No one is perfect, I read the tweets that were posted and you know what they sound like? They sound like a great deal of the people who I have on FB who live or like to think they live a gangster lifestyle. They aren't bad people, they aren't hardcore, they are gangsters, they don't belong in a gang, they just talk a certain way that makes them sound more dangerous than they are. Yes, it does perpetuate a stereotype and it does not help stop the kind of stuff that the dad in the blog link I posted was talking about but it is something that they do. So what.

While I do think that Martin was shot because he was a black teenager in an affluent neighborhood who had his hood up, making him look more suspicious than he most likely was - I think that the protests and such are for a different reason. You can bet your butt that any blue eyed, blonde haired cheerleader that got shot in the chest would have her assailant arrested and jailed on the spot. There would be no reason for rallies and there would be no cries for justice, it wouldn't go a month before the media picked it up, she would be raised up as one of America's good girls, gone too soon, etc etc etc. That is what the media does, they make the victim look like they fell from heaven and the bad guy look like he spawned from satan himself, so the fact that they are using the pics they are really makes no difference to me.

Instead, in this case, a 17 year old, black, teenage boy was shot in the chest in the middle of the street during the day. His assailant was found straddled over him by one of the neighbors who came out running when she heard the gunshot. His murderer was on the phone with 911 when the whole thing went down and Martin was on the phone with his girlfriend until seconds before he was shot and even with all of that evidence, there was no arrest. A month later, no arrest. It wasn't until the media got their claws in it and it became national news that someone decided that maybe there is a legal problem here. If NBC and CNN and Fox and Google didn't have Zimmerman and Martin's pictures front and center for weeks - there would have never been any justice for Martin and there still might not be.

So yea, I do think the shooting was racially motivated. And yea, I do think the justice for Martin will only come if enough people stand up and say that anyone who is killed by anyone else deserves justice - regardless of race. And while Al Sharpton will forever annoy the crap out of me, I do not think he is creating or furthering any race issues - I think the race issues are there, hiding under the surface. Kept just quiet enough so that it isn't an issue like it was 80 years ago but it still comes out when things like this happen. It sucks and its sad and it frustrates the hell out of me that this country still hands out justice based on the color of your skin. Maybe its not a nice thing to say but it is the truth.

I'll try to find it again, I think I read it on AOL yesterday.
As to your first paragraph, I am surrounded by those kinds of people everyday... in prison. Sure, not all of them are bad or dangerous, but typically they aren't choir boys either. I wholeheartedly disagree with basically your entire assessment of the situation, both regarding the media and the crime. Even from the start of this thread, more information has been released that doesn't quite follow along to the initial reports. How can you not think Al Sharpton is not furthering any race issues? That is what he does, that is his mission, it is what his entire life is based on. He looks for situations such as these and then exploits entire families and communities to further his agenda.
While Zimmerman may be light-skinned, he very clearly looks Hispanic to me.

I think the pictures do matter. How fair is it to post a mugshot versus a picture of TM from when he was 12? The media bias is astounding. They are calling for justice, but what happened to innocent until proven guilty? Sounds like everyone is on a witch hunt and to hell with someone's rights.
Tammyjh and glasscandie like this.

Last edited by *Leslie*; March 27th, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
March 27th, 2012, 05:25 PM
The reports are all over the place, it happened a month ago so people's memories aren't as fresh as they would have been the day it happened. I don't think he is furthering any race issues, I just think hes pointing them out and making people talk about them. I can't stand the guy but in this instance, I think that what a lot of the black community is saying is right. If Martin would have been a 17 year old white girl walking through that neighborhood, the police would have never even been called much less a shooting taking place because she "belongs" there and Martin didn't.

Tammy, I can't find it. Sorry.
plan4fate likes this.
March 27th, 2012, 05:30 PM
The media bias for victims pics vs bad guy pics are always that way. Whoever the media determines to be the victim is held up on a pedestal and the bad guy is made out to look really bad. Which, that mug shot was probably from when Zimmerman assaulted a police officer and resisted arrest, since he was never arrested for shooting Martin. Zimmerman is no choir boy either.
March 27th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Of course Al Sharpton is furthering the deterioration of race relations. Its what he does and has a history of doing so.

Rev. Al Sharpton: I won't apologize for handling of Tawana Brawley case - New York Daily News
Revs. Jesse and Al: Shameless charlatans

Quote:
Tammy, I can't find it. Sorry.
Thanks for looking for it
K.A.T likes this.

March 27th, 2012, 05:48 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
Of course Al Sharpton is furthering the deterioration of race relations. Its what he does and has a history of doing so.
:
Big fat ditto. He and the media are turning this into a circus, and ot for the better. Did you guys hear about the 10000 dead or alive bounty the new black panthers have put on Zimmermans head? Frightening. Revenge isn't the same as justice.
March 27th, 2012, 05:52 PM
I saw the bounty but never a dead or alive, just the capture of Zimmerman. Have a link for that?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search