Treyvon Martin Situation

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree39Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2012, 06:35 PM
foxfire_ga79
Zimmerman charged with 2nd degree murder by Florida special prosecutor, in custody | Fox News

Will this make everything all better?
Who wants to bet he'll be found guilty thanks in part to Casey Anthony being acquitted and Floridians on the jury won't want to have to go into hiding afterward.
April 12th, 2012, 08:13 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
Zimmerman charged with 2nd degree murder by Florida special prosecutor, in custody | Fox News

Will this make everything all better?
Who wants to bet he'll be found guilty thanks in part to Casey Anthony being acquitted and Floridians on the jury won't want to have to go into hiding afterward.

I don't think he will be found guilty. I am thinking that his defense is going to argue that at the moment of the shooting, he truly believed his life was in danger.

I do predict rioting if he is found not guilty.
April 12th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know what effect this will have but Trayvon's mom is now saying she thinks it was an accident.
U.S. News - Trayvon Martin's mom says she thinks his killing was an 'accident'
Quote:

Trayvon Martinís mother said Thursday that she believes her sonís fatal
shooting by George Zimmerman was an accident and that he should apologize if
he's truly remorseful.

ďI believe it was an accident, I believe that it just got out of control and
he couldnít turn the clock back," Sybrina Fulton told the TODAY.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 12th, 2012, 10:42 AM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
retracted

ETA: she retracted her statement
April 12th, 2012, 11:34 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am wondering why she made the statement in the first place. Even if she did think it was an accident, definitely not smart on her part.
April 12th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I really have to wonder how in the hell the idiots attorney has only seen evidence brought out by the media, at this point. One would think a lot more of the evidence would have been brought before the attorney by now. So how he can claim he's surprised the 2nd degree charges were brought up doesn't make much sense to me. it does make me question his abilities as an attorney though. I don't think anyone is actually surprised at the charges to be honest. Some might not like it, but I don't think anyone is surprised to hear it.

I agree with his mother wholeheartedly that IF(huge if) Zimmerman really didn't mean to harm him, really feels he did no wrong, then one would think he would be remorseful and apologizing for the way the entire thing went down. Yet, he's not. He's "stressed and worried", he's "not feeling well" he "feels bad for his family", and all sorts of other crap(gee, wonder why) yet he's not even the least bit apologetic for HIS role in this entire tragedy. Regardless of whether or not he believes he should be charged with murder or 2nd degree murder, he quite clearly knows he played a role. Someone who does something accidentally, with no intent to harm, is usually sorry. He should be **** sorry, no matter what story he wants to stick to. Yet he's not.

I think her publicly saying that(not the whole she thinks it was an accident thing, but saying she thinks he ought to apologize for his role) speaks volumes of her as a person. That she'd not only ask, but also likely accept(not as a replacement for punishment, obviously) says a lot about HER character. How many distraught parents do you think would honestly ask for one, or accept one, from the person that killed their kid? Not too many, I think. It does happen, but not often. Not so sure I'd be able to hold it together long enough to even suggest he offer one to me, personally. She also has said, numerous times, that she's sorry for what HIS family is going through, and understands they are hurting. But she's right, they still have him here, they can still talk to him, hear his voice, see his face. Treyvon's family does not have that luxury. So all the "this has been so hard on our family" comments coming from Zimmerman's family, are a bit of a slap in the face. Yet she's not taking it that way. I'm quite surprised. I'd be livid.

I know florida has the stand your ground law, but that should apply to both parties, right? So if that's the base for Zimmerman's entire case, it's a pretty ****** one. If Treyvon had actually attacked him, he had every right to do so under that law if he felt threatened, didn't he? If the young man honestly feared for his safety(and I can honestly say, I don't blame him if he did with some dude randomly following him), then he had every right to protect himself. The same way Zimmerman is claiming he has every right to do, under the law. So what's the difference between the two? One used a deadly weapon(a fact we do know) and one supposedly used his hands which don't qualify as a deadly weapon(a fact we still do not know, and can't know).
I would think a bit different about this entire case if Treyvon had at least been armed with a weapon(skittles don't count). Or if Zimmerman and him had only gotten into a fist fight that got out of hand. But that's not the case, that's not what happened. We still don't even know if the young man ever really did attack him. But going on the assumption that it might have happened that way, it's still a no brainer to me. A gun in the hands of a grown adult, versus the bare hands of a young man, it's not difficult to see which one is more likely to win that battle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jennifer* View Post
I am wondering why she made the statement in the first place. Even if she did think it was an accident, definitely not smart on her part.
I'm not so sure she actually made the statement. At least not the way it was relayed. Her explanation in that link makes perfect sense to me. The media in this case doesn't have the best track record.

Quote:
Earlier today, I made a comment to the media that was later mischaracterized. When I referenced the word 'accident' today with regard to Trayvon's death, in NO way did I mean the shooting was an accident.

We believe that George Zimmerman stalked my son and murdered him in cold blood. The 'accident' I was referring to was the fact that George Zimmerman and my son ever crossed paths. It was an accidental encounter. If George Zimmerman hadn't gotten out of his vehicle, this entire incident would have been avoided.

My son was profiled, followed and murdered by George Zimmerman, and there was nothing accidental about that.
April 12th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
I'm not so sure she actually made the statement. At least not the way it was relayed. Her explanation in that link makes perfect sense to me. The media in this case doesn't have the best track record.
What do you mean you don't believe she actually made the statement? She said it on the Today show.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 12th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I mean she didn't say it the way it was taken. I think her explanation expands upon it further.(which is what I said)
April 12th, 2012, 05:32 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
I really have to wonder how in the hell the idiots attorney has only seen evidence brought out by the media, at this point. One would think a lot more of the evidence would have been brought before the attorney by now. So how he can claim he's surprised the 2nd degree charges were brought up doesn't make much sense to me. it does make me question his abilities as an attorney though. I don't think anyone is actually surprised at the charges to be honest. Some might not like it, but I don't think anyone is surprised to hear it.

This is a brand new attorney just hired this week. Earlier this week the firm that has been representing him dropped him as a client. Once he contacted the DA's office directly, they had enough of him at that point. Therefore, it is completely possible that his newly hired attorney has yet to get all the evidence in the case for viewing. He has to get any and all records from the old attorney and that's not always a 123 thing.

I'm curious to see how this plays out. I'm glad that there was enough evidence to have him charged with something. Accident or not, IMO, Zimmerman was out of line.
Tammyjh likes this.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

April 12th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Michelle, I was also impressed with Trayvon's mom's demeanor in that interview and also the family attorney who was on O'Reilly's show tonight. I've basically shunned most of the tv news interviews as too much of the spotlight has been on the activists and its a shame that they have gotten so much of the press as it really takes away from the real issue at hand.

I also agree with Liz in that I feel its right that whether it was an accident or not, what really happened that night needed to have much more of an investigation than it got initially. Also, as there are other stories that point to corruption in the police dept., maybe those allegations will be looked into as well.

April 12th, 2012, 06:02 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Brand new attorney or not, I'm not certain I'd trust one who would openly basically say "I don't know **** about my own client's case, or what he's being charged with", especially on a case that's getting this kind of attention. It doesn't speak very highly of him. I'd expect a new attorney to not even comment to that extent, if that's really the case. It makes him look like a ******* otherwise.
(not everyone will realize he's a new attorney simply from the interview(s) given, which is why appearances mean a lot during them)

I haven't been giving most of the media much mind the last few days on this case, because the entire thing still bothers me. Seeing what other people are turning it into, while not surprising, is still bothersome too.
April 12th, 2012, 06:15 PM
If you expect an attorney, especially a new one, to not comment to the media on a very public case, then you might not know enough about how important it is for his attorney to continue communication with the media. By saying I have no comment it gives the media all the power to make assumptions and run with the story. It was smart of him to say he doesn't know enough yet to try and explain his defense logic. It gives the media a response and gives him enough time to plot the defense in peace without giving it away. A smart new attorney will always say I do not know enough about the facts of the case to comment fully. Anyone who has been following this case will know he's a new attorney. His old attorney dropping him as a client made national media coverage.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)

April 12th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
There is a difference between making a statement that directly says "I don't have enough information to really comment on that" and saying "I only know what you people have said"(you people, being media).

I know it's important to comment. HOW you comment, is just as important though.
I still think the way he worded things makes him look like an idiot.
April 12th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Ehh to each their own I guess. I'd rather an honest attorney than a scum bag one. I'm not going to say someone is an idiot over the choice of words they use once and while in the spot light. It's more than likely that he was hired the same day as GZ was charged. I'll cut him some slack. Now, if he continues to spout moronic statements, then maybe I'll say he's an idiot. Also, he could just be playing dumb for the media. We're not in his office knowing how he's truly handling the case.

My entire point is that it's completely possible for him to only know what he's heard in the media. I'm not going to hold his choice of words against him. You stated that you wouldn't trust him as an attorney and how you feel he's not too bright. Yet, you didn't even know he was a new attorney. You assumed off of the little bit of information you had. I gave you some more, and you still choose to hold on to your assumption that you wouldn't trust him. I say give him a chance before making a quick judgement call. Just like people are saying listen to the evidence before judging GZ innocence or guilt.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

April 12th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Oh there are lots of things that would make me not want (or trust) someone to represent me(or anyone I care about) legally. Some of them are probably stupid to others though.

Making half cocked statements(which is what I find his to be, not well thought out at all, I'm sure he had notice he'd be speaking) to the media just so happens to be one of the reasons that would cause me to wonder about a person. Especially in a case like this. It's already a media frenzy(which he DOES know, since he said he knows what the media has said) and I think all too often people don't walk on eggshells they probably should. They don't pay attention to what they're saying, when they probably should, either. That's why we see so many retracted, corrected, clarified and whatever else, statements.

I feel the same about what Treyvon's mother said, sort of. It wasn't worded the way she originally intended. Which is why so many took it to mean something she didn't mean, and she had to later clarify. If she had worded it differently, it probably wouldn't have been taken the same way. But I expect a bit more caution with words from an attorney, than I do a grieving mother who isn't getting paid to speak to the media on behalf of someone, or represent someone.

How new to the case someone is, or isn't, doesn't play a role in my opinion that statements can make them look like an idiot, to me. So now he can prove to me that he's not an idiot. Shouldn't be too hard of a task, if he's not one. Not like my opinions are all set in stone or something, lol. I'm as open to changing my mind as anyone else is.

I don't always agree with tactics, intentional or not, attorneys use. Even when it comes to how they deal with the media. Sometimes I do honestly believe staying quiet and simply letting people think whatever they want, just might be best. Not always, but sometimes. Or at least waiting to say anything until you've actually thought it through.

Everyone makes judgment calls, and I don't always think there is anything wrong with doing so. Just so happens I have an opinion you don't share on this one.
April 13th, 2012, 08:10 AM
foxfire_ga79
So, being that the attorney didn't know all the facts yet, what should he have said to make himself sound trustworthy?
April 13th, 2012, 09:14 AM
That's what I'm trying to figure out. Keeping quiet isn't the way to go in a media frenzy case. What a person says on TV has no weight on if they're trust worthy or not, especially an attorney. A person who is paid to spin stories in one way or another. Also, the media can often make edits which twist the words of people. Half the time we can't even tell they're media edits. The only way to truly determine if an attorney, or a person for that matter, is trust worthy, is to sit down and actually talk to them.

Liz (36) Kev (35)

April 13th, 2012, 09:41 AM
foxfire_ga79
Yea. And I think that being the attorney for only a few days, not knowing he was going to be the attorney, all he knew was what he saw from the media. Every single lawyer in Florida hasn't been browsing over the facts of this case in the off chance they got chosen to represent Z. He answered honestly by saying all he knew was what he learned on the news.
April 13th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Something more simple like "I'm sorry I don't have enough information yet to comment on this" would sound much better to me than "all I know is what the media has presented". Like I said, sometimes it's how something is said and not just what is said that matters.

I do believe there are times that what a person says can very much reflect whether or not I should find them trustworthy from the word go, or if I will need further proof to back it up. But that's just my opinion, and it's not the case for every situation, either. Just happens to be for this one. The fact that he knows it's a media frenzy does play a role in why I'd expect more thought out statements during an interview. He can still be honest and think through what he's going to say a bit better.

Semantics, I know. Like I said, I expect more caution with words from someone getting paid to represent someone else and speak on their behalf. Not like he only had five minutes to prepare a speech or something, lol. It's a bit different when caught off guard by random reporters or something like that, but he wasn't.
April 14th, 2012, 08:30 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
I have only heard bits and pieces of this story.

Was the young man who was killed 'beating' on the guy who killed him?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search