Debate: Surrogacy.... do you agree with it? yes/no; why/why not? (NO semantics)

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Keepin' it real!
So I'm going to start a new thread. We got into way too many semantics with posting on the other thread. We're not going to debate altruism, selfishness/selflessness, etc, or whether or not you think surrogates are good people or bad people.

Tell me what you think about SURROGACY in general....agree? Disagree? Why/Why not?

Any other surrogates on JM? Please, feel free to chime in.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
March 25th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
You didn't need to make a new debate when it was going just fine on the other. I guess you feel out of control so making a new debate so you're the OP makes you feel more in control. Especially since you are requesting other surros to chime in as well, even if they are not into debating.

You want my opinion? I would never choose a surro like you, because you annoy me. I wouldn't want an annoying person to carry MY baby for 9 months. Kthnxbai
Fluffy Baby likes this.
March 25th, 2012, 10:47 AM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Really, a new thread? So the new rule is that if people aren't agreeing with you on another thread, you make a new thread outlining the rules to which people must follow to respond. Yeah, not working for me.

March 25th, 2012, 11:17 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I answered this in the other thread you can read and respond in the original debate.

March 25th, 2012, 12:42 PM
This is the kind of stuff that irrates ME. First, I couldn't care less that Lynn, her posted another thread. But the responses to her are ridiculous. Just saying.

I don't agree or disagree with surrogacy. I find it a personal thing. My sister, I support. She posted on the other thread, I think, her feelings in what she says is a very nice way.
March 25th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianaV View Post
This is the kind of stuff that irrates ME. First, I couldn't care less that Lynn, her posted another thread. But the responses to her are ridiculous. Just saying.

I don't agree or disagree with surrogacy. I find it a personal thing. My sister, I support. She posted on the other thread, I think, her feelings in what she says is a very nice way.
Frankly, I couldn't care less what someone with 13 posts thinks about what we post on this board. You'll ride away into the sunset when this drama is over, and we won't think twice about it.
Fluffy Baby likes this.

March 25th, 2012, 01:09 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

But where else can you go and live high school over and over and over again? This place is just like every other online forum, it doesn't really matter what the opinion is - it matters whose opinion it is.
March 25th, 2012, 01:25 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Do we get to make new posts when topics of interest become more than we can handle all the time now? Or when too many people disagree with our opinions, or forum mannerisms?
God I hope not. I won't be able to keep up

Unless Amy comes back, that might be fun for a bit.

But since I don't just feel like being a complete smartass, I'll answer anyway.

I think surrogacy can't be liked or disliked, as a whole. It involves too much. No two cases are identical. No two experiences are identical. Because no two humans are identical.
In order to discuss the actual topic, you kind of have to involve semantics, to some degree. It's impossible to paint all situations with the same brush, and have it be truthful.
It wouldn't matter who shared their experience(s), or what they shared for me. My thoughts would remain the same, you cannot paint a brush of like or dislike on it as a whole.
I have an opinion that DOES come from personal experience, whether I decide to share it or not. No, it's not out of shame, it's actually out of respect, not that this should be important to anyone else. I somewhat expected that at least SOMEONE would understand I don't need, or want, to share all the details of something quite personal, simply to say I do have an opinion not based on assumptions. That better explains my why.
(There, hopefully that's not cryptic)

But, I already said all of that in the other thread.
March 25th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
But where else can you go and live high school over and over and over again? This place is just like every other online forum, it doesn't really matter what the opinion is - it matters whose opinion it is.
Living high school over and over again. What does that say about you since you always come back for more and continue to post pot stirring comments such as this and the one from the other thread on this topic?
The clique stuff is so tired. Please come up with something new to whine about.

March 25th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
Living high school over and over again. What does that say about you since you always come back for more and continue to post pot stirring comments such as this and the one from the other thread on this topic?
The clique stuff is so tired. Please come up with something new to whine about.

Pot calling the kettle black much? I was responding to a new poster to the realistic nature of this board and pretty much every single forum I've ever been on or am currently on. And who said anything about a clique? The continual references to Amy who hasn't been here in months just proves my point that certain poster's opinions are disregarded based on the fact that they aren't liked here (or pretty much any forum). Its just reality that the opinion someone holds about someone else affects how they feel about that person's opinions and standing on issues. Anyone who says that their opinion of someone doesn't affect their opinions of that persons opinions is either a saint or a liar.
March 25th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Who's Amy now? So far I have names being thrown out in both threads neither of which are even in them. Color me confused.
March 25th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Pot calling the kettle black much? I was responding to a new poster to the realistic nature of this board and pretty much every single forum I've ever been on or am currently on. And who said anything about a clique? The continual references to Amy who hasn't been here in months just proves my point that certain poster's opinions are disregarded based on the fact that they aren't liked here (or pretty much any forum). Its just reality that the opinion someone holds about someone else affects how they feel about that person's opinions and standing on issues. Anyone who says that their opinion of someone doesn't affect their opinions of that persons opinions is either a saint or a liar.
A lot of people do it all the time. There are a few people on here that I would never be BFF's with and really don't care much for. I agree with them on some topics and disagree on others. I was in agreement with Lynn in the last drama thread on stepchildren/pictures and very much disagree with her on this one. There's no love loss between us, but if I agreed with you on a topic I would do just that. My personal feelings towards someone have nothing to do with the topic at hand.

March 25th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm just going to copy/paste Liz's response from the other thread because it pretty much sums it up for me.
Quote:
Personally, I could care less about surrogacy and the reasons behind it. It's a personal choice and if one wants to go through that journey, that's on them. I'm not for it or against it, I just don't care about it. If you want to be a surrogate, good for you. If IPs get a baby from a surrogate, good for them. If you don't want to deal with it, good for you. Who cares is what I have to say about it. Choices like these are very personal choices. What does bother me is when people have a holier than though attitude because they've gone through it. To those people, I say get off your high horse. Yes, you have done something wonderful for that family, but not everyone cares nor thinks you're superior to others. You're just a regular person who has chosen to take a path that can be traveled by people who face those choices.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
March 25th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Hey, I only mentioned Amy because her antics make me laugh. Has nothing at all to do with a clique(far as I'm concerned, I'm not in one, I'm not cool enough for a clique, or club...sniffle).

Don't much care what others' motivations are, I find some of those threads downright hilarious and have no qualms admitting that some I've read a zillion(totally exaggerated number) times over, simply for the laughs.

Whether the intent was humor or not, it often ended that way.
Fluffy Baby likes this.
March 25th, 2012, 03:50 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with surrogacy in the right circumstances. I don't think every woman should be a surrogate, etc. I would like to be a surrogate some day, but not after I'm x old (and I don't know what age x is yet).
March 25th, 2012, 05:02 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
I've been copy and pasted, I feel so honored now. Some one loves me, they really truly love me.
Tammyjh likes this.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

March 25th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
I've been copy and pasted, I feel so honored now. Some one loves me, they really truly love me.
It was a difficult choice between you, Leslie, and Deniz but you won out in the end. I don't know if you should feel flattered or scared though.
K.A.T likes this.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
March 25th, 2012, 05:28 PM
Quote:
I'm starting to think that is the case. Because seriously, if Lynn (or Amy or Cherie or whoever) isn't liked for whatever reasons, then yeah, any opinion of her or them would be askew.

But I think that it was unfortunate the other thread went down the way it did over a WORD. I think, Lynn can correct me if I am incorrect, that she wanted people's actual opinions of surrogacy, without all the defining of words. I haven't seen her, my sister, any other surrogate say they felt superior, and I think people are putting words in her mouth. I filtered enough of her threads to say sometimes, I disagree with her, but at the same time, it does seem people don't like her very much for whatever reasons, I don't care.

I only came here because my sister was offended, and I'll always back my sister up.
BittyBugsMama likes this.
March 25th, 2012, 07:24 PM
Quote:
I'm starting to think that is the case. Because seriously, if Lynn (or Amy or Cherie or whoever) isn't liked for whatever reasons, then yeah, any opinion of her or them would be askew.

But I think that it was unfortunate the other thread went down the way it did over a WORD. I think, Lynn can correct me if I am incorrect, that she wanted people's actual opinions of surrogacy, without all the defining of words. I haven't seen her, my sister, any other surrogate say they felt superior, and I think people are putting words in her mouth. I filtered enough of her threads to say sometimes, I disagree with her, but at the same time, it does seem people don't like her very much for whatever reasons, I don't care.

I only came here because my sister was offended, and I'll always back my sister up.
That is seriously untrue and you certainly haven't been around long enough to know one way or the other. I could find tons of examples over the last six years where I, and others, have agreed with people that we don't necessarily care for.

March 25th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Sometimes a fresh set of eyes sees the truest perspective. There are definitely people here who are more liked than others, that is just how the real world is. While some people can separate their feelings about a person from their feelings about that person's opinions, I don't think that is the case with everyone.
AdrianaV likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search