The dangers of potty training

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree32Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2012, 06:21 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Most kiddos don't take a year, from start to finish.
(sorry that was in response to the "put the baby on the pot at 6 months old comment)

But I do have to say, a music potty for big people sounds pretty sweet. I have a radio in there, but it's not the same. sniffle..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey... Where's Perry? View Post
No but seriously, my kid still has issues with peeing and pooping. I can't even pretend he's a pro or boast potty greatness like some of you. He could kick your ***** in Mario Kart, though.
I'm sure he could, I suck at video games, lol.

I don't think all kids are pros at everything. Doesn't matter what it is.
I have a 10 year old who still has eating issues and every now and then has to have formula, or be fed by hand.
For kids, things like that aren't a pissing match(pun intended) unless they actually ARE pissing matches. It's us adults who get anal retentive about things like this. Most kids couldn't really give a flip.

Last edited by Frackel; April 1st, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
April 1st, 2012, 06:59 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think anyone was boasting about their kids pottying. I think some just have different views based on their experience/culture/etc.
April 1st, 2012, 07:08 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Ooooooookay.

It's primarily mommy website... Of course they were boasting
April 1st, 2012, 07:53 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
It's very much boasting. lol. We boast about all kinds of things all the time.
April 1st, 2012, 09:16 PM
Keepin' it real!
I didn't take any time with the first 2, they just did it. I took 2 months with 3rd. And 1 year with SN son. No arguments from any. It's not that hard to wait...depends on how one approaches it. I would rather wait and take 2 months, than try to take a YEAR or more to do it when I don't have to. Either they're ready, or they aren't. That's what I believe...

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
April 1st, 2012, 09:37 PM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would totally kill Jace at Mario Kart, just sayin'. Jace plays like a 4 year old.
April 2nd, 2012, 08:11 AM
I'm confused, boasting on the debates or boasting elsewhere? Because I didn't see any boasting here, just different views.
April 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I will throw my hat in here with the EC camp. It's about communication, not training. No shame, no punishment, no praise, no rewards, no coercion. Just offering the potty and if she wants to go, "oh look you peed in the potty", if she wants off "okay all done with the potty". She gets the cutest grins and seems so pleased with herself when I respond to her cues (often a fart coupled with an urgent stare and "bah!") and I get her on the potty and she goes. That is the main reason I stick with EC, because it makes her happy and helps us communicate.

We started when she was 5 1/2 months old and go through plenty of cloth diapers still at 10 months, her interest in the potty waxes and wanes. Though we catch 80% of the poop and that makes my laundry a lot easier. I plan to let her tell me when she wants to go diaper free.

I think coercive (esp shame/punishment heavy) potty training of a very young baby is a bad idea in general, but there are gentle alternatives that many people seem to know nothing about. I have no question in my mind at all about whether I am doing right by my daughter with ECing, I feel it's one of the best parenting decisions I've made. Just speaking personally here.
LadyCoconut likes this.

April 2nd, 2012, 02:13 PM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Next time I will Bumbo Potty train. Just cut a hole in a Bumbo and VOILA! He can eat then go poop all in one sitting. I should patent this great invention.
April 2nd, 2012, 03:04 PM
Tofu Bacon's Avatar Enigma... or oxymoron?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
I didn't take any time with the first 2, they just did it. I took 2 months with 3rd. And 1 year with SN son. No arguments from any. It's not that hard to wait...depends on how one approaches it. I would rather wait and take 2 months, than try to take a YEAR or more to do it when I don't have to. Either they're ready, or they aren't. That's what I believe...
So true! I started out with similar approaches for my older two, but with very different outcomes. Like some posters, I kept a potty available from the get go, put them on it if I just happened to notice they were fixin' to go, did the potty videos, etc. With ds1 (taking into consideration his developmental delays) he literally potty trained himself in one day; just before his 4th birthday he noticed that his friend wore underwear, so he decided that he wanted to wear undies, too. I told him not to poop or pee in them... and he never did. Now, dd... she was a whole other story! Admittedly, I did nudge her more than I did with ds1, starting at around 2.5. She had several accidents each day for a YEAR!
April 2nd, 2012, 03:19 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I find that the more kids I have, the less uptight I am about when is the "right time" to learn to use the potty. Unless there are special needs or special circumstances that get in the way, they all learn at some point. My youngest is 6 and still has an occasional day accident and is still rarely dry at night. He's been checked out and is healthy and the ped says that if he's still having "regular" accidents after he turns 7, then we will look for anything physically wrong. He's a late speecher and a little on the shy side so most likely his accidents had to do with him not advocating for himself well and not wanting to be in the bathroom alone. His teacher was a fabulous help and tells us that she does not prompt him anymore, he goes in alone, and is rarely ever wet when he comes home. He's also coming out of his shell a bit and his speech has come in quite quickly over the last 6 months or so. Night time dryness will come. Of my other three, my oldest has special needs and was 6 years old when potty training ended but then had a few issues around the time of puberty. My two middles finished with potty training somewhere around the age of 3.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 2nd, 2012, 04:33 PM
Tofu Bacon's Avatar Enigma... or oxymoron?
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jennifer* View Post
Next time I will Bumbo Potty train. Just cut a hole in a Bumbo and VOILA! He can eat then go poop all in one sitting. I should patent this great invention.
Seriously, the first time I saw a Bumbo I was like, "Where's the hole?"
April 2nd, 2012, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jennifer* View Post
Ooh that's a good idea, you totally should do that.
April 2nd, 2012, 07:53 PM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
I would totally kill Jace at Mario Kart, just sayin'. Jace plays like a 4 year old.
I'm going to tell him you said he's 4. He's gonna be like, "NUH UH, I"M 5!!!"

No seriously, that **** rainbow road, the kid beats me every time. I"m like really???
April 3rd, 2012, 12:09 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
Ooh that's a good idea, you totally should do that.

Well I am the master multitasker with my kid. I used to feed him his dinner while I gave him his bath. It was the only way I could get him to eat in the evening. Sometimes I still do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu Bacon View Post
Seriously, the first time I saw a Bumbo I was like, "Where's the hole?"

I bet a Bumbo potty would be more comfy than some of the ones they have on the market. It's nice and padded.
April 3rd, 2012, 11:12 AM
I tried to put ds2 in a Bumbo at the store (it was the first time I saw one and they had one on display) and his chubby legs wouldn't fit in.
April 8th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shen7 View Post
I will throw my hat in here with the EC camp. It's about communication, not training. No shame, no punishment, no praise, no rewards, no coercion. Just offering the potty and if she wants to go, "oh look you peed in the potty", if she wants off "okay all done with the potty". She gets the cutest grins and seems so pleased with herself when I respond to her cues (often a fart coupled with an urgent stare and "bah!") and I get her on the potty and she goes. That is the main reason I stick with EC, because it makes her happy and helps us communicate.

We started when she was 5 1/2 months old and go through plenty of cloth diapers still at 10 months, her interest in the potty waxes and wanes. Though we catch 80% of the poop and that makes my laundry a lot easier. I plan to let her tell me when she wants to go diaper free.

I think coercive (esp shame/punishment heavy) potty training of a very young baby is a bad idea in general, but there are gentle alternatives that many people seem to know nothing about. I have no question in my mind at all about whether I am doing right by my daughter with ECing, I feel it's one of the best parenting decisions I've made. Just speaking personally here.
Well written. When I try to describe this I tend to get a mixed response. I dont know if it is cultural (I'm from Iceland) or if it is just a part of my weird mommy views but I think that offering a baby to go on the potty is as natural as offering them food when they're hungry. Both are responding to a bodily need.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
April 8th, 2012, 08:12 PM
foxfire_ga79
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
I always wondered why girls were easier? Is it because of the whole aim thing? Anyone with a boy and girl both PT'd that could answer?

I only have boys so I have no idea how easy/hard a girl is. Both boys were different though. ds1 would sit on the potty and only started standing this year (after peeing outside a few times). ds2 started standing around 12 months (he would stand over the potty instead of in front of it).

I haven't gone through all the replies yet but I'll go ahead and answer this question now that I have officially potty trained 2 of each. My girls were both trained before 2 and my boys were both over 2 1/2. I have no idea why. I just didn't get pushy and for some reason the girls were done faster.
And I had the boys start off sitting down to go pee. They didn't start peeing standing up until they had mastered WHEN. So I don't think that really had an affect on it.
Wish I had a better answer than that! But standing up to pee wasn't the reason for the boys being slower in my own experience.
April 8th, 2012, 08:26 PM
foxfire_ga79
Mkay now.
My own personal experiences are opposite this doctor's views, and that's all that matters. My latest pottying kid was DS#2 at close to 3 years old. He'll be 7 next month and still has night accidents a few times a month. His doctor is also not concerned.
To the contrary, my daughters were house broken before they turned 2 and UTI's and constipation have never been on our radar.
And in fact, my kids always demanded to get to the potty immediately. I can't imagine them deliberately holding it in. I can't tell you how many times I've been in the store and have nearly run people over with my shopping cart as I was hurrying to the bathrooms with a toddler YELLING "PEE PEE PEE PEEEEEEE!" They're not shy about pooping either.

I'm sure this doctor has made valid points about constipation and all, but I can't see how this could be a good reason to hold off potty training an extra year or more. I bet the diaper companies are thrilled to death to see this article though.
April 8th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluga View Post
Well written. When I try to describe this I tend to get a mixed response. I dont know if it is cultural (I'm from Iceland) or if it is just a part of my weird mommy views but I think that offering a baby to go on the potty is as natural as offering them food when they're hungry. Both are responding to a bodily need.
I think that it is cultural, and it can also be part of the "crunchy" camp (or whatever you want to describe it when it's not cultural). I have friends in other parts of the world and they do this because it is cultural to them. I grew up in the US and it was not cultural there and I've only met a few people who did it within my "crunchy" circle. I did it because it just made sense to me, but I'm not a strict ECer, I am more relaxed because I mix ECing with CDing when we're out and at night.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search