What do you think of this?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By BittyBugsMama
  • 1 Post By Frackel

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 3rd, 2012, 10:26 AM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So you see an ad for an upcoming job fair, and a company that is recruiting posts this:

Quote:
Is your current position just not paying the bills? Do you feel like your income potential is limited? Are you looking for the opportunity to earn $60,000-70,000 your first year?
Our rapidly growing dealership is looking for energetic, driven, go getter individuals to join our winning team! If you are looking for a new career in the automotive industry we want to meet you. We ensure you will receive the training you need to be successful and offer the best in compensation, technology and working conditions.
The problem with this is that you know that after being there for almost five years, receiving this 'company training' and all they brag, that you will only make half that amount, if you work your *** off.
Is it fair to lure people in with straight up lies?

April 3rd, 2012, 10:39 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Well, they do say that you have the "opportunity" to earn that amount. They do not say that you will earn that amount. I have the opportunity to earn more than I do if I take more classes. Could my employer advertise for the higher amount? I think so. Now do I think it is a way to lure people to that particular company? Absolutely. May not be the nicest thing to do, but people need to be smart. Why would a person with common sense think they would earn $60,000 their first year at a dealership? Wishful thinking I guess.
April 3rd, 2012, 10:46 AM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yup, its all about the special wording. Sneaky but it does specifically say opportunity to make, no guarantees of your actual income.
Fluffy Baby likes this.
April 3rd, 2012, 11:07 AM
I'm not complaining, by any means, but I think it's pretty crappy even to word things that way. Especially with how many people don't have jobs at all!
Unless they think that some guy off the street with no experience at all will look at this and not even bother stopping by.
I saw a sign the other day, +Part time cashier, $10 an hour.+ That's the honest way to advertise, not something that's like netting unicorns lol

**70,000 a year might not sound like a lot for some of the people on either far coast, but for a comparison average housing cost here is 110, so that's quite a bit of money**

April 3rd, 2012, 11:17 AM
*Jennifer*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Actually, I think 70,000 does sound like a lot, which is why I put in the common sense part. It is common sense that very few jobs have a starting salary of 70,000 no matter where you live.

As for being a crappy thing to do, all I can say is buyer beware. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. It is like those make money at home scams. If you think you are going to make 50,000 working at home part time, then something is wrong with your thinking. It reminds me of those people who won't work an entry level position because they are "holding out for management."

Being out of work is not an excuse for lack of common sense.
April 3rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
It's a marketing tactic used by all kinds of companies, in all kinds of ways. I don't see it as being necessarily bad. It would be bad if they advertised you would/will make that kind of money your first year. But saying you have the opportunity to do so, that absolves them of making false claims. It's not false if the possibility exists. It's not dishonest in the least.

I'm not keen on the "that's not nice to tease people" line of thinking here. That makes those looking for a job, or without one, seem like complete idiots who lack common sense. I prefer to give people the benefit of the doubt and not pretend they're fools, until they actually prove they are. I don't think too many folks would see that ad and say "yay, 70k a year for meeeee", though.
*Jennifer* likes this.
April 3rd, 2012, 11:34 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Once I see opportunity to and dealership, I know it's commission based compensation. That's an ad where reading comprehension is a major factor. It's not really lying or false advertising. I have to agree with Jennifer, being in a financial hardship doesn't negate the need to understand what you're reading. Oh and 70K is a lot out here too.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

April 3rd, 2012, 11:35 AM
Keepin' it real!
I was lied to by my employer about hours I would be working. I was told I 'd be expected overnights or start time 4am....come to find out? They stuck me on DAYS! I had no choice, because I needed a job, but I applied BECAUSE of the shifts they advertised . Had they advertised "days" or told me "you must be available all hours" I would not have applied...

I never apply for "opportunity" jobs, because a lot of times, that's a sham

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
April 3rd, 2012, 11:53 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think it's a crappy thing to do, especially in this economy when many are out of work. However, you have to read it carefully, it doesn't gurantee anything it says opportunity.

Very few jobs these days has that potential in the first year, unless it's one you need a college degree for, and even then.
April 3rd, 2012, 11:55 AM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
Knowing nothing of the industry, it sounds alright to me. I mean, if it's a commision based position, then the potential to make money could be fairly far-reaching. I would hope that at least their top seller made somewhere in that range, though, or that it was plausible. Before taking a job, anyone should research the fair value of the position. I know that in my final interview for my job, they ASKED me what I was looking to make. That's a loaded question for sure, so I had to do some research ahead of time to make sure I didn't over or under estimate. If the company were advertising twice what I reasonably expected to make doing a good amount of work, especially if it was commission based, I would expect them to be highballing the number. Personally, I'm in the midwest, and I don't see that as an excessive salary for a professional career for a person with a college degree (but I'm not totally sure what the job is, if it's professional, if it requires a degree, etc.), especially since the last sentence (looking for a NEW career in the automotive industry) makes it sound as though they are looking for someone with experience.

April 3rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
I guess I wasn't looking at it from a purely sales perspective. Sales is a revolving door though, so they can afford to pay people on commission more than the ones that are sticking around. Even the Simply Hired website lists entry sales at $53,000 a year. Of course then again like you said there is the play on words, and maybe their top earners "have" made 70,000 in the first year.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search