Trolling... against the law?

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Linzie

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2012, 01:23 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Arizona bill could criminalize Internet trolling | Games Blog - Yahoo! Games
This is just ridiculous.

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014

April 4th, 2012, 01:28 PM
MommaLexi's Avatar Adoptive and Foster Mommy
I like that they're trying to address cyber-bullying and online stalkers, but this isn't the way to do it. I don't have the answer, but this isn't it. It''s way too broad and ridiculously unrealistic.

FD ~ Squishy, 8mos old, Down Syndrome, Heart Disease (post open-heart surgery)
April 4th, 2012, 01:36 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Good concept but the execution of it is unlikely
April 4th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree with the bold, that its too broad.
Quote:
It is unlawful for any person, with intent to terrify, intimidate, threaten, harass, annoy or offend, to use ANY ELECTRONIC OR DIGITAL DEVICE and use any obscene, lewd or profane language or suggest any lewd or lascivious act, or threaten to inflict physical harm to the person or property of any person.
Violators could be charged with a Class 1 misdemeanor and face up to 6 months in jail. If electronic devices are used to stalk someone, the charges then become a Class 3 felony, with penalties ranging from a minimum sentence of two and a half years in jail for non-dangerous offenders with no prior record to 25 years.
[Related: 'Bully' Director Slams MPAA for 'Great Hypocrisy']
At the heart of the bill is an anti-bullying agenda. Cyber-bullying has been on the rise in recent years and has been in the news lately. A 2010 report in The New York Times found that one of out five middle-school students said they had been victims of cyberbullying.
Despite its good intentions, the Arizona law is already being called "overly broad" by critics. By using vague terms like "annoy" and "offend," it could easily encompass Internet forums or even comments like the ones found at the end of this story.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 4th, 2012, 01:45 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Umm wow. I get the idea behind it. But it's too vague if you ask me. I think if it resulting in harming someone physically, then yeah make it a crime. But of someone got their feelers hurt, too bad so sad!

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

April 4th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.A.T View Post
Umm wow. I get the idea behind it. But it's too vague if you ask me. I think if it resulting in harming someone physically, then yeah make it a crime. But of someone got their feelers hurt, too bad so sad!
Yeah, I think if someone were physically hurt or conned out of a lot of $, I would support something like that. But to have hurt feelings or be embarrassed for getting duped by a story, not so much. Many of us have btdt and while its no fun, its too much of a slippery slope to make being a troll a crime.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 4th, 2012, 02:13 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just another step to Amerika, Home of the Police State.

SMDH.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

April 4th, 2012, 08:43 PM
Linzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Linzie
I was going to bring this here when I saw it at work today. You beat me to it!

This is absolutely, completely and utterly ridiculous. The wording "to annoy or offend" is a complete stomp on the right to free speech. I offend someone daily just by having an opinion, and voicing that opinion. But just because someone doesn't like what I have to say does not make it against the law for me to feel that way, and express my feelings.

The intent to cut down on cyber-bullying is a good thing, but this is going about it in a COMPLETELY wrong way.

And really, how would they enforce it? If someone in another state, or heck since it is the WORLD wide web, another country broke this "law"? Are they going to extradite the criminal who hurt someone's feelings? Reeeeediculous.
birdblue likes this.

April 14th, 2012, 11:06 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
Being conned out of money as a previous poster mentioned, then yes.

So this means ppl from this board could go to jail? Amazing.
April 14th, 2012, 12:19 PM
foxfire_ga79
Who from this board is likely go to go jail for trolling?
April 14th, 2012, 12:44 PM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
Who from this board is likely go to go jail for trolling?
Maybe past me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search