Baby Yoga

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 11th, 2012, 09:16 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've never heard any chiros claim those things. Chiros that I know of are for adjustments only. (not saying you're not telling the truth, I believe there are "fakes" in every profession).

Yoga is much more than just for flexability. Baby yoga is usually just a bonding thing for mom and baby, but yoga once you get older can be used for relaxation and so on.
April 11th, 2012, 10:03 PM
foxfire_ga79
Yea, I've only been to 3 chiros and I have a friend who's in college to be 1. So it's not like I have a huge sample to compare from. But from what little I have been exposed to, there's been some pretty nutty stuff said. A lot of other things I've heard said has come from chiro patients so I'm under the impression that the chiros made these promises.

I did try a baby yoga book when Ivy was an infant. It just wasn't our cup of tea and we have other ways of bonding. I don't think parents who do mommy/daddy and baby yoga are wrong. Just that I personally didn't see any benefit to me and Ivy. Totally not something I would call harmful or even "quacky." Different body types and personality types will have different methods of preferred bonding and relaxation. All I ask is that parents don't fling their babies around like poi balls.
April 12th, 2012, 08:56 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We didn't do any classes with yoga, just at home with a yoga book. No flinging, flipping or anything like that in it. For ds1 and I it was worth it because I had PPD and was not nursing, so bonding was harder for me with him then it was with ds2 without PPD and nursing.
April 12th, 2012, 11:40 AM
fluffycheeks's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The baby yoga I have done was basically me stretching while I am holding the baby. A far cry from the video for sure!
April 12th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
A good adjusting can be a great thing, but it's definitely not the cure all some think it is. There are plenty of quacks in that profession, just like any other.

We had a chiro tell my mom they could cure her degenerative disc disorder with adjustments. Freaking nutjob wanted to adjust parts of her that can't BE adjusted because they're held together by rods, metal plates, etc... In her case, even an attempt to adjust her would likely put her in serious pain, if not worse. He wasn't the only one who thought degenerative disc disorder was simply a different way of saying "back out of whack, in need of adjustment" either. Maybe for a small handful of people, it can help(temporarily), but for most, it will usually cause more harm than good. Especially later on down the road.

I do have one here who's really good, but he's expensive as all hell and I can't afford to see him even if I wanted to. Medicaid does actually pay for some treatments, especially if a dr signs off as it being necessary. But I don't exactly feel right having them done when I can't afford them and they aren't necessary. So I don't.
April 14th, 2012, 10:44 AM
*Dayna*'s Avatar Aussie Mama
I got about 20 seconds into it and had to switch it off.

What purpose is there for this? All I see is some joints being pulled out of their sockets.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search