Assisted suicide

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2012, 01:03 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I think in some places it's been legal for quite some time. In other places it was never "illegal", so no real reason to make it officially legal either.

It's something done all the time, all over the place.

It's a practice beyond terrible, imo. If death is inevitable even with the tube in place, removing it will simply prolong that, and it WILL increase pain, cause discomfort and could potentially lead to other problems that didn't exist before.

Just because the patient can't tell you it's excruciating doesn't mean that it's not. Which is the stance so many people(including medical professionals) go with. "If it was that bad for him/her, we'd know". Sigh.

Unfortunately some people believe this is the only way they can help their loved one "go", for lack of a better term. Perhaps because they simply don't understand, or someone isn't explaining it fully to them. Perhaps because they feel they can no longer deal with what's going on, or they truly believe it's best. I don't really know what exactly drives them to this. But, I think this is one of the most inhumane things I've seen people do to someone at the end of their life, under the guise of "care".
April 17th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Keepin' it real!
For ME to assist someone else? IDK if I could do it. For someone assisting me? If I ever had to live like a vegetable and be treated like crap and be stuck in an uncaring nursing home with no one to clean me up or someone mixing all my food together and forcefeeding me? Please pull the plug. Give me some serious drugs. Anything, but don't let me live years like a dog.

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
May 7th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Actually this reminds of of jack kevorkian..He was also known as doctor death..He helped terminally ill patients by way of euthanasia!..I watched my grandpa suffer and die from cancer in 1998 and he honestly every day just begged to be taken so he didnt have to suffer anymore..I don't agree with ppl using assisted suicide in ordinary every day life but when youre terminally ill..you are dying anyway..

May 13th, 2012, 07:07 PM
angelsailor288's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My cousin Jack was diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrigs disease) back in.. 2004. Its a very cruel disease. He was a young guy, 42.. a carpenter. By the time the disease was in full force he could barely talk, could not eat (needed a feeding tube), could barely breath, could not use his hands, feet, legs, etc., could barely turn his neck. His mind was functioning just fine. It was devastating. He would say things when he could talk like he'd give anything just to be able to go to work. To walk his dog. Little things. I;m crying as a type this.... it was torture.

He begged, pleaded, cried for us to kill him. He asked his doctors over and over and they told him no. He said if he could his hands, he'd kill himself.

How is that right? He sat there and suffered for two years before he died from choking on his own spit, on his 44th birthday. Criminals die with more dignity.

Thank you jaidynsmum for my siggy!

June 11th, 2012, 11:11 PM
Veteran
I haven't followed this story close enough to really make a decision but I can definently feel for the mother. She wants to humanely end her children's lives but she doesn't want to starve them to death. I think she cares for her children and thinks that the most humane thing to do is to let them pass away. I think some people (like my parents) do not realize how much pain and agony she may be in just from having to make this decision.

Since I didn't follow this one, too depressing for me, I'm not sure of the actual functioning level of her children, so I can't say if she is in the right or not that they should die.

I do believe that people should have the right to die with dignity and that if they want to end their life after suffering from a debiliting disease, that they should be able to. I am a little wary about doctors being the one to administer the medication, but then who else could or should have that right? In a perfect world, every one would be able to administer their own killer meds, but when someone is debilitated to the point that they can't, well what can you do? I'd say have a family member do it but then it could be cruel and very hard for someone to end a family member's life.

I also believe that only the individual person should be allowed to decide if their life should end. Everyone should have a will that dictates what they want if they are in an unfortunante accident or come down with a horrible disease. I don't think a family member should ever be able to step in and say that someone should be put down if they otherwise specified that they didn't want to be euthanized regardless of the situation.

Last edited by Rinchan; June 11th, 2012 at 11:16 PM.
June 14th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
I'm all for assisted suicide in certain cases. To just remove the feeding and starve the person is just beyond cruel in my opinion.
We can put a pet to sleep without being judged because poor dog was sick and should be allowed to die without pain yet we don't allow the same assistance for other human beings?

Clearly, assisted suicide is a very grey scaled issue, you can never be fully in the clear if it is the appropriate decision but I'm going to be working in nursing homes after the summer as more practice for school and I have already been out in a couple nursing homes and one of the places, there was a woman who had, for months asked everyone to just please let her die. She would cry daily, ask everyone to help her die and even me, the first time I was there. Seeing someone so helplessly wanting to die, yet knowing she was a living human being that nobody could help? Awful, I felt just horrible and hurt on her behalf but she got her wish to die while I was there, passed away in her sleep.

In her case, it should of been allowed. Had it been a young healthy person, on the other hand then no. The decision to do, or not to do should be a matter between the person in the picture, family and health professionals that know what they are doing. Does the pro's outweight the neg parts then would it not be better to let them have their wish to die, rather than forcing them to stay alive (or in worst case, starve them to death.)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search