Government Assistance and diapers

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree55Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2012, 12:32 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If you can buy liquor and smokes with cash assistance, you can buy diapers with it too...
Bekah and AtomicMama like this.
April 17th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BittyBugsMama View Post
If you can buy liquor and smokes with cash assistance, you can buy diapers with it too...
Right and even if one doesn't buy those things, cash assistance is just that. "Assistance." Its not supposed to be the only income one has.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 17th, 2012, 12:38 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
But food programs don't provide all of the monthly food, you only get EBT once a month, not sure how often WIC is but that is only certain foods anyways. Cash assistance in my state is really hard to get. Other than food, there really is no programs to provide diapers in my state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
You can buy liquor and cigarettes with food stamps? That is so wrong.
Not in my state you can't. EBT (food stamps) only work for food items and not even all food items.
April 17th, 2012, 12:42 PM
BittyBugsMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
You can buy liquor and cigarettes with food stamps? That is so wrong.
No, with cash assistance - not food stamps.
April 17th, 2012, 12:42 PM
*Jillian*'s Avatar Baby #3 on the way
I've never known anyone that had to buy more than one can (powder) or a few cans of premix to make it through the month. And you can use food stamps for that too.

You can't buy liquor or cigs with food stamps here. Not even energy drinks.

I believe it should be assistance too. Not support. I also think it would make fathers get out of providing what they should for their kids when the parents aren't together. I am speaking out of knowing a LOT of people on govt. assistance. I am so glad it's there for those that need it, but I think a line should be drawn somewhere. You already get medical coverage and food.

April 17th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
I can see the need, completely. I can also see the disgust that those who literally are living off the system, would cause. I can totally see pros and cons on both sides.
On one hand, people need diapers, ok the majority of people. On the other hand, sometimes programs that offer too much assistance, simply enable abuse. It's hard to balance them both. But I do think it's something that can be accomplished without too much abuse. I do think it could be regulated. Whether it would or not, is a different story

I am all for a program that loans out cloth diapers however. In fact I think such a thing would be amazing for many areas, for a few different reasons.
If I opened such a program I would have it basically, like this.

Loaner service-families get one week's worth of diapers at a time, basics like prefolds and covers, other things added in if at all possible.
Delivery/Washing Service-They get dropped off on say, a monday, and the dirties picked up. Then all dirties get washed, and recycled to other families(of course all washing precautions being taken, for the health and safety of all involved).
Something like this would not only create jobs-people who will deliver/pick up, people who will wash/dry/sort, people to man the office(s), but it would also fit a need that exists. People would get the diapers they need. If they didn't like that option, they could always buy disposables. But if they actually have a need they would hopefully be grateful.
I include the washing service as I can see how that would also help a lot of people who lack access to laundry regularly. Bags can be provided for dirties. People could simply drop off if they didn't need delivery. A sliding scale can be used for people if they need(or feel the need) to tack on some kind of price. Pay so much a month/year for the service based on what you can pay-if they needed to attach a price to it that is. For some families even $5-$10 a month would be ok(much cheaper than disposables, or washing the diapers themselves at a laundromat), and something they can manage. But if you can't pay, it's not like someone is going to cut your arm off, or something.

Of course at it's simplest, it could just be a basic loaner service. When you no longer need the diapers, you return them(or pay for them if you cannot return them for some reason). You still have to wash them yourself. The clean diapers are washed properly on return and recycled back into the program. At it's most basic, it would still provide at least some jobs, and still fill a need that exists. It would also be less costly at this level, on the whole. One would need the funding and the space, not to mention fleet vehicle(s) for the larger operation. But I can see how either would be extremely beneficial. I am all for most services that fill multiple needs at once, though. I'd rather see federal money go to things like this than some of the other crap they spend it on. At least this harms no one, and helps so many.

Heck if I had the money, I'd open such a service myself.
April 17th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
But food programs don't provide all of the monthly food, you only get EBT once a month, not sure how often WIC is but that is only certain foods anyways. Cash assistance in my state is really hard to get. Other than food, there really is no programs to provide diapers in my state.
Not in my state you can't. EBT (food stamps) only work for food items and not even all food items.
Cash assistance is also EBT. It's the same card in many places, actually.
I do think there are some places starting to limit what you can do with the cash portion as well. But not real sure on that. I'd have to go digging to see where I read that before.

There are organizations all over the US that can, and will, help with things like diapers, just a matter of finding them. There are programs that help with cloth diapers too-and those are nation-wide(I think there is at least one that is international at this point too). But they're not as widely owned and they do rely heavily on the assistance of others. I used to sew dipes for programs like this. Most have gone by the wayside because it's not cost effective and people never return the items or pay it forward.(which sucks). The ones that do exist, require payment of some sort. Which is still minimal, considering.

Although there are plenty of people who do get food stamps and it's most certainly not enough to last them all month. There are plenty of people who CAN make it last all month, and even tons more who could if they tried harder. I know because I've done it myself. I've managed, in the past, never exceeding beyond what I had in food stamps. We didn't get a ton, definitely not what others get in other states. It takes careful planning, and budgeting, but it's not always completely impossible. Of course it also means that sometimes packaged stuff works out to be cheaper. It's a less healthy option in many cases but when you're on someone else's dime, I think your best bet is to aim to get the most out of every dollar. Only buying fresh when you can really afford it and not looking to buy name brand stuff all the time(or at least using coupons/sales to your advantage when you do) are both ways to help it stretch as well. I know lots of people who manage, though it can be hard, to make their food stamps last and use it for the entire month's worth of food. You may only get the money once a month but that doesn't mean you only shop once a month, lol. You can shop however often you want. I used to shop weekly when we had to walk to the store(it's a mile, lol, long walk). Bi-weekly or monthly for most things except basics when we had transportation.
April 17th, 2012, 01:18 PM
Hmm, I've done things with the WIC office (breastfeeding services) and when I talked to the worker there and looked at all the info EBT and cash were two seperate things. Yes you can have cash assistance on your EBT card, but that doesn't mean you have cash on your card. Most people only qualify for EBT and so if they try to use cash assitance with the card it won't work.

When ds1 was on formula we had to buy a can a week. No way could we make a can last an entire month.
April 17th, 2012, 01:24 PM
They give you more than that! lol They give you the kind in cans that you mix with water. You might have to buy a few extras with your own money. They definitely don't give one can of powdered to last a month.

April 17th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
They are two separate programs. Most states consolidate the funds to one card though. So if you saw someone with an EBT card, they very well could have both on it. I've never qualified for cash assistance(it's TANF here), but if I did it would have gone on the same card with my food stamps. Some stores, the machines you swipe the card in when you click the EBT button it has two options-Cash and Food.

If you get cash assistance at all, that IS cash on your card. It's as good as cash anywhere else, which is why some people can buy things like liquor and cigs with it. Since it's on the same card as food stamps, it often looks like they're using a food stamps card for that stuff, when they're actually using their cash assistance that happens to reside on the same card.

Of course if you don't get cash assistance, it won't work to try and use your EBT card like that, lol.
April 17th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Right, I was just saying that having the EBT card didn't mean you had both.

They don't give you a months supply of formula in my state, it's a week maybe two weeks tops. I was saying that 1 can of powdered formula is a weeks worth.
April 17th, 2012, 01:35 PM
AtomicMama's Avatar CopperBoom!
No. I might sound mean, but I have a number of reasons against programs like this all together. First, like many of you said, cash assistance already exists. Contientious parents would use that to cover their babies needs first, diapers included. I was having this discussion over the weekend, about WIC potentially providing cloth diapers. While part of me likes the idea in theory, I see it going badly in practice. Especially with cloth diapers, I see many parents selling the diapers for cash because they don't want to deal with the hassle of cloth diapers. There might be a way to regulate it, by requiring a diaper service where they diapers are picked up and counted at regular intervals, but that type of regulation and imposing consequences would get VERY costly to tax payers. And yes, WIC supports breastfeeding, but they support it because it is cheaper and healthier than formula in most cases, not because it is natural. Plus, at least in my county when DS and I were on WIC, most mothers still used formula.

The selling diapers goes for disposables as well. I see disposable diapers on craigslist all the time. Many stores let you return unopened cases of diapers, would they now have to have a way to check to see if they were purchased through a government funded source? It's possible that in many instances the babies won't even reap the benefit of the additional diapers. WIC formula gets sold, too.

Second, there are MANY private organizations (local, statewide, national) out there that provide diapers (disposable and cloth) to parents in need. Parents just need to LOOK. One thing that I have a hard time with is people in need of some type of assistance not wanting to search for it. Some people just expect everything to be handed to them all in one place. Sometimes, it takes a little bit of research and hunting, but there are services available. Churches, local nonprofits, many large CD retailers (I know Bummis for sure) provide loaner CDs, Pampers collects diapers, local Children's Museums, Children's Hospitals, etc. often provide diapers for families in need.

Quote:
Yes, but if you can budget AT ALL in most areas, your EBT will easily last an entire month. Honestly, when I did have EBT assistance, I never came close to using all of it. I wasn't always contientious of sales, coupons, etc., and I purchased (and still do) a majority of my food fresh and/or organic.

Cash assistance IS available in all states. Yes, it IS hard to get, but it should be. It is there for the families in the most dire need. Also, you can say that there are no programs for diapers anywhere in your state, but I am absolutely positive that is not true. There are MANY national programs that provide diapers to people in EVERY state. Plus, many local churches and organizations do as well. Unless you have really, truly called every single church, school, hospital, children's museum, etc. in your state to find out, I am going to believe that there ARE programs available.

April 17th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Right, I was just saying that having the EBT card didn't mean you had both.

They don't give you a months supply of formula in my state, it's a week maybe two weeks tops. I was saying that 1 can of powdered formula is a weeks worth.

They give you way more than that here. Not sure why they don't in your state. And yeah, a can of powder lasts a week. They don't give that kind here. They do the others by case and you might have to buy a few extra to make it the last few days until you get your next WIC check. I literally have one friend that bought her own formula. Everyone else was on WIC.

April 17th, 2012, 01:41 PM
I ment GA for diapers, not small programs run by private people. I'm all for those too (as I run my own, but not for diapers).

I think the reason why they only give you a little formula here is because they only want to supplement not provide all of it. WIC here is also super big on breastfeeding, but that gets easily deralied by all the formula happy hospitals we have.
Dixana likes this.
April 17th, 2012, 01:50 PM
Quote:
I ment GA for diapers, not small programs run by private people. I'm all for those too (as I run my own, but not for diapers).

I think the reason why they only give you a little formula here is because they only want to supplement not provide all of it. WIC here is also super big on breastfeeding, but that gets easily deralied by all the formula happy hospitals we have.
Gotcha. I don't think any state has a goverment program specifically for diapers.

Are you sure that is all the provide? Which state are you in (of course, only if you are comfortable sharing!)? I know in most states WIC provide forumula on a rolling scale depending on how much the baby is breastfed vs. supplemented. I think all WIC departments try to promote breastfeeding now. At least every state I've looked at (which is far from inclusive, so I could be wrong!), but I know that most also provide most formula for a month (like Jillian said, a family may have to buy a can to make it to the start of the next month sometimes or maybe a few if you have a baby that is a big eater, but if you get EBT and WIC, you can use your EBT for formula).

April 17th, 2012, 02:00 PM
MN. It could be different now because when I looked into this when I was providing free BFing services to them it was a few years ago.
April 17th, 2012, 02:10 PM
Keepin' it real!
Don't even get me started on the welfare system. I'm so tired of people trying to get EVERYTHING for doing nothing and saying "Well it's my kids..." Well, it's your kids? Try harder to support them YOURSELF! (Generally speaking, not anyone here)

1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
April 17th, 2012, 02:16 PM
I found the website, but I couldn't find a sample WIC schedule. I would be surprised if they did not provide a fully formula fed baby with at least 3 weeks worth of formula, but that is also dependent on the baby/family. And I could totally be wrong! If you find anything on it, let me know I'd just be interested!

Plus, WIC really is supposed to be totally supplemental (where in a lot of cases EBT will provide all the food for a month).

April 17th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I'll do some diggin' a little later and see if I can find anything.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search