Government Assistance and diapers

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree55Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 17th, 2012, 04:22 PM
MosaicWife's Avatar Missa
Just throwing in my two cents, I'm strictly a lurker. Medicaid does pay for diapers here. I'm not sure what all the requirements are but I know that if your kid gets disability you can get diapers from Medicaid. I believe they are the pull up kind and they might actually only be for older kids. A friend of mine was using them before she managed to get her son potty trained and my son's occupational therapist has the phone number of whoever it is I need to call to get them for my son if I ever needed to. So I know the gov't does provide them for some although that's not quite the same thing as what is being talked about here.

April 17th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Fluffy Baby's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am on WIC now and I get 9 cans of Good start a month. Thank god for them because BF did not work this time due to a multitude of reasons, formula is expensive! I still have to buy 1 or 2 cans a month at $15 each. I believe it is suppose to provide like 80% of the formula, that is what the WIC nutritionist told me.

To the OP, no way.

I am a mixture of all that and a bag of chips... IJS

Rest In Peace Jennifer <3

April 17th, 2012, 05:14 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
The diapers medicaid usually covers(which you often have to go through hoops to get anyway), only apply to kids that have a "medical need"-as far as I know. You don't get them simply because you need diapers. At least I have never once heard of medicaid covering diapers simply because someone can't afford them(nor should they, without some sort of program in place). If you lie and have a doctor say your child needs them medically, well, I'm not going to think too highly of you. That's fraud, and one of the biggest reasons people who NEED medicaid to cover necessities cannot get them. That's sort of the purpose of medicaid, to cover things that are medically necessary. I'm not a big fan of people who use that which they don't absolutely need, simply because they can.

My sister gets WIC and the formula she gets is almost everything she needs for the month. My niece eats a ton though, lol. If she wasn't as much of a hungry hungry little hippo, WIC would cover all she needs. She buys two, sometimes three cans beyond what her vouchers get her every month.
April 17th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Repti.Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
9 is what you get here too. I used formula for 4 of my kiddos, and only had to buy formula when they got older. It was plenty when they were little. Of course older kids eat more, but they also supply jarred baby food now AND cereal. I never used the cereal though.

April 21st, 2012, 12:01 AM
peace.love.audrey's Avatar Twins? Pinch me!
Regarding the OP, I don't think they should be providing diapers free of charge but I would be ok with some sort of lower cost cloth diapering option where you would use them and then return them when you were done.

As for WIC, in my state, I got a max of 10 cans of formula a month which was $150. There were months where I had to buy an extra can or two. And of course the amount they provided depended on if I was borrowing a breast pump and when she started getting solid foods. I think I got like 6 cans of formula and 32 jars of food plus some cereal once she was eating solids. I never would have survived without WIC since I didn't receive child support until she was a year old.

8.27.10 1.30.11 3.18.13
http://donatelife.net

Don't believe in God? You're not alone!
April 21st, 2012, 06:56 AM
Hey... Where's Perry?'s Avatar Darnit face
I don't agree with cloth diapering being the only option. I personally, as a single parent, would not have the time to deal with cloth diapers because I work full-time (nor do I have the desire of patience, I don't cloth diaper now for the same reasons). I also don't know of any daycares that would deal with cloth diapering around here as well. Not to mention, a big handful of people use laundromats. I could foresee it being very difficult.
*Jennifer* likes this.
April 21st, 2012, 07:59 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ Right I didn't mean the only option. I ment for those who had their own washer and drier and wanted to use CDs, some people on assistance are SAHMs and some daycares (in home private daycares) allow CDs.
April 21st, 2012, 10:54 AM
Linzie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Linzie
I love the fact that we have assistance, but it can go too far, and too easily abused. I really feel that there should be some hard limits in place to prevent people from completely living off the system. Assistance should be just assistance, not your only source of income. Gov't assistance is the main reason why my town is so crappy. People BRAG about being on assistance here. It's especially rampant at the plant where I work. And you have the people that will sell their foodstamps money for cash. They buy another person groceries, and that person gives em straight up cash. It's ridiculous.

I wouldn't be against a supplemental type program, one where it would either encourage or force the parents to help themselves and not rely on the program for every diaper.
*Jennifer* likes this.

April 21st, 2012, 11:03 AM
Ok so I talked to a friend who runs a "AP in home daycare" (her words). She says most of her daycare kids use CDs, how she does it is each child has their own wetbag at her house and they are stored in the basement. After each diaper change she puts the diaper in the wetbag, each day the parents take home the wetbag to wash the diapers and then when they drop off the kids they bring back the wetbag and a new days worth of clean diapers. It is just like when the daycare uses disposables. Each parent is responsible for bringing their diapers and after each diaper change you have to put the dirty diapers either in a basement or outside trash. Some countries, cities, states do not allow CDs in licensed daycares, and others do, so always worth checking out.
April 22nd, 2012, 04:23 PM
mayandsofiasmommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lazy and didn't read all responses, so maybe this has been mentioned?

I don't think cloth would be a good idea, for a couple of reasons.
1. Most low income families have to walk to a laundromat. They wouldn't be able to just throw them in the washing machine at home.
2. Cost at laundromat. It would end up costing them a LOT more b/c they would have to pay for the extra laundry.
3. The extra use of water by cloth diapers is always a good debate- which helps the environment more? Less in landfills and using up more water? I have no idea.

So mainly because of the cost associated w/ cloth diapers, I think disposables would be the way to go. I was actually just thinking and wondering why I haven't seen any assistance w/ diapers. They are so expensive.

April 22nd, 2012, 04:41 PM
^ The debate wasn't specifically for cloth diapers, just diapers in general. Then I threw in cloth diapers only for those who have their own washer and drier.

As for extra cost to wash them, I don't pay more using cloth diapers then when I have no kids in diapers. I was them with all the other clothes and I only do clothes every few days. You don't need to wash cloth diapers daily, they are good for up to 3 days as long as you get the poo out.
April 22nd, 2012, 05:49 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
As for extra cost to wash them, I don't pay more using cloth diapers then when I have no kids in diapers. I was them with all the other clothes and I only do clothes every few days. You don't need to wash cloth diapers daily, they are good for up to 3 days as long as you get the poo out.
They magically don't use any water/soap to get clean or electricity/gas to dry? Man I wish I had those kind of diapers!
AtomicMama likes this.
April 22nd, 2012, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
They magically don't use any water/soap to get clean or electricity/gas to dry? Man I wish I had those kind of diapers!
Huh? I said my water bill isn't any more than what it is when I don't have anyone in diapers because I just put them in the same wash with everything else. I normally line dry them, but some liners go into the dryer, but doesn't cost extra because they get thrown in with everything else.
April 22nd, 2012, 06:22 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Kris~ View Post
If you wash them with your current laundry, and dry them on a line, you have not used any extra resources at all except maybe a lil extra soap.

I estimate that it would cost me 1 extra load a week to cloth diaper a single child since I could put some diapers in with the towels and the sheets which are never full loads but have to be washed because we don't have unlimited numbers of them. Even if I had to wash the diapers a 2nd time to make sure they were truly clean, the $2.50 a week would cost less than the cost of the disposables to start with... and they don't end up in the landfill.

Water can at least be treated and put back into the system to an extent, we've all seen the reports of diapers in landfills.
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew and Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel and Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d,Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d,Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d,Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant.
150mcg Synthyroid, 500mg Metformin (aiming for 1500mg)
April 22nd, 2012, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tithen~ View Post
If you wash them with your current laundry, and dry them on a line, you have not used any extra resources at all except maybe a lil extra soap.

I estimate that it would cost me 1 extra load a week to cloth diaper a single child since I could put some diapers in with the towels and the sheets which are never full loads but have to be washed because we don't have unlimited numbers of them. Even if I had to wash the diapers a 2nd time to make sure they were truly clean, the $2.50 a week would cost less than the cost of the disposables to start with... and they don't end up in the landfill.

Water can at least be treated and put back into the system to an extent, we've all seen the reports of diapers in landfills.
You shouldn't have to give them an extra wash. Some of my diapers have gone through 2 kids, get cleaned every 3 days, and have no stains in them. If there is poop you just toss the poop into the toilet and if some sticks you just use a wipe to get it off. Usually you'll still have the color of poop on the insert until it's washed, but it should be able to be washed off with a regular was of laundry. You'll have to strip the inserts eventually, I usually do twice a year. That is either really hot water cycle a few times, or you can do what I do and boil the inserts 3 times with the last time a bit of vinegar. Then line dry for a day.
April 22nd, 2012, 07:20 PM
That sounds like too much work. I'm a sposies mom all the way

ETA: Happy Earth Day, everyone!
glasscandie likes this.
April 22nd, 2012, 07:45 PM
How is it too much work? If you wash your clothes then it's no extra work to throw in cloth diapers too. That's like saying it's too much work to buy disposable diapers, eventhough most grocery stores sell diapers in the store, so if you buy groceries then you can buy diapers.

Last edited by HappyHippy; April 22nd, 2012 at 07:48 PM.
April 22nd, 2012, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHippy View Post
How is it too much work? If you wash your clothes then it's no extra work to throw in cloth diapers too. That's like saying it's too much work to buy disposable diapers, eventhough most grocery stores sell diapers in the store, so if you buy groceries then you can buy diapers.
Because it=more laundry than I already have to do. Comparing buying disposable diapers to scraping poo off of cloth, having to do a whole separate load of them (I don't mix poo stuff with non poo stuff), mess with inserts and other various terms, fold them all nicely and put them away like regular clothing is indeed more work for me. Getting in the car, grabbing a pack of disposables, driving home, is much easier.
April 22nd, 2012, 08:02 PM
Unless you leave poo in a diaper for many hours you don't need to scrap it off. You plop it into the toilet, and you're actually suppose to do that with disposables too (eventhough many just roll it up into the diaper and toss it in the trash). So that is not an extra step. Throwing a diaper in with laundry is not an extra step unless you make it one. I'll give you the insert part, but that takes no more than 1 second to snap it into a diaper cover. Stripping is an extra step yes, but twice a year for 20 minutes is hardly a big deal I would think to most people. And I don't fold my diapers nicely, I don't even put the insert back into the diaper, I just put them on the diaper shelf and snap the insert in when I need to. You're making it seem like it takes so much more to use cloth diapers, when in reality it doesn't take any more effort than using disposables except for maybe twice a year when stripping.

ETA: I'm not trying to argue you with you to make you change your mind on cloth diapers. If you want to use disposies I couldn't care less. I just don't like making things seem misleading by making it sound like *to me* that using cloth diapers is so much work and you have to do all these extra tasks, etc. When it's not like that.

Last edited by HappyHippy; April 22nd, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
April 22nd, 2012, 08:46 PM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
If one only does laundry once a week or maybe every other week, then cloth does become more work. To people who've been using cloth forever it seems like it's very easy, but not for those who've never used cloth before. I see exactly what Deniz is saying. I for one will not do cloth unless I can get my own machine at home. As of now I don't have one and traveling to the mat every 3 days or so does make extra work for me. It's all about what each person has easy access too. A prime example as to why most low income families would have a harder time with cloth over disposable.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search