You can't come to my house if you don't have the right name

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 24th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
It makes me want to name my kid Reignbough Kandeigh just to piss her off

May 2nd, 2012, 02:36 AM
Nekinna2402's Avatar Anniken <3 Tanja
Send a message via MSN to Nekinna2402
Oh my. I don't get why people bother getting so hung up on names, I won't deny that some names DO have a "bad vibe" to them because of earlier experience but not nearly bad enough that would make me think "u-oh, sorry baby but you aren't allowed to be friends with that kid"

I wonder where Tanja elise falls on that list though, Tanja is a more "norwegianized" version of Tanya.
birdblue likes this.

May 2nd, 2012, 11:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
hmmm wonder were my kids would fall

Noah David - very traditional

Lucinda Elizabeth - now that's a stumper. I had a old lady once say to me in the mall "Oh those new fangled made up names" when she heard me call dd Lucinda. I laughed so hard because it's an old English name that has been in my family for generations.

As for Brandan. My kids play with one who is the BEST behave kid I have ever met. I love when they play with them because there's no fighting or drama.

My 2 miracles: Lucinda & Noah
May 2nd, 2012, 07:53 PM
MommaLexi's Avatar Adoptive and Foster Mommy
I couldn't even consider sarcasm because I was too pissed that she was judging kids parents by what they names their kids. I guess I'll always be screwed since someone else chooses my kids names before I adopt them

FD ~ Squishy, 8mos old, Down Syndrome, Heart Disease (post open-heart surgery)
May 29th, 2012, 12:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
The bottom line is, once your kids leave the toddler stage and start school you really can't choose their friends based on if you like the parents or not. The kids like who they like. Of course you want them to play with kids who behave, and if it's a drop-off playdate you need the other parent to be trustworthy, but that's as far as it goes. My kids have made friends with other kids whose parents don't speak much English, have much more or much less money than us, different religions, twenty years older than me, and the list goes on. Really just people I probably wouldn't have met and befriended on my own. But that's okay because we're all parents, and it's the kids that matter, right? I have in fact made some new friends through the kids though, and that's just a bonus.

As for the name thing? Just silly! And I thought all the names she listed were pretty "normal" anyway.
May 29th, 2012, 03:25 PM
But if we were all talking about the celebrities and how they name their kids apple and coco, wouldn't we all be saying, "oh those poor kids will be made fun of their whole lives with those rediculous names!"? I think so. And to the blogger Nickie who agrees with the author....what? Her name is just as badly spelt! It's Nikki, no silly c in it and no ie. Just throwing some humor in it. I think it's more for humor's sake.

And no Brandon wasn't the bad boy in class this year, it was Brendan! He was the terror of the sixth grade class at our school. See, there is some truth to the article after all!! LOL Mom had to go switch it up with changing the A to an E!
May 29th, 2012, 03:36 PM
Oh and like Clouise, my daughter has friends with kids from all backgrounds and have migrated from different countries. Their names are different from what we traditionally know here. Their parents might now know much English as well and have different religions, but to the kids, we are all the same. And that is what we teach. Names are names and everyone is unique just like where they may come from.
May 29th, 2012, 07:58 PM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't think Apple and Coco are bad names. I have friends with both of those names (not the same friend, 2 different ones).
May 30th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
All of my kids have some friends whose parents migrated here, I wonder what the 'woman in question' would think of names like Anouk, Rahini, MeiQi, Aatmik or Tapiwa. All beautiful names in their countries of origin.
June 7th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Jessghetti's Avatar New Mommy in Training
Some names I hear are cringe-worthy, leave me baffled as to how they are pronounced when written and wonder why in the world a parent would name their child that.

I am sure lots of people have the same feelings like that now a days, names seem to be getting absurder - especially the influx of many Celebrity names.

But I would never be snobby to parents of an oddly named child or not let my child be friends with them.

Missing Angels: Sept '11 - 4 weeks & Nov '11 - 4 weeks 3 days

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search