Six year old girl handcuffed for misbehaving

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2012, 06:39 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm less inclined to believe the parents due to their statements that everyone has mood swings and their daughter was just having a bad day. This is way beyond a little mood swing or an off day. The child was way out of control, hurt another individual, destroyed school property, and apparently tried to run away several times. The family keeps referring to it as "misbehavior" so their credibility is very low imo.

Video: Police defend decision to handcuff six-year-old for school tantrum - Telegraph
Quote:

The schoolgirl was accused of tearing items off walls and throwing books and
toys in an outburst on Friday. Authorities said she also threw a small shelf
that struck the principal on the leg, jumped on a paper shredder and attempted
to break a glass frame.

The school called police, and when an officer tried to calm the child in the
principal's office, she resisted, authorities said.

"A brief conversation between the officer and principal revealed the damage
done by the student, as well as the student trying to run away from the school
several times," said interim police chief Dray Swicord.

The six-year-old was then was handcuffed "for the student's safety as well
as others."
foxfire_ga79 likes this.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
April 19th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Super Mommy
i dont know whose story to believe but i find it a little embarrasing that in our society this school could not "handle" a six year old girl! She is a child for goodness sake!.

There is no reason the cops should have been called unles this kid had a weapon and i know "apparently" she injured someone....well because of her temper tantrum a shelf fell and hit someone in the leg.......good grief they make it sound like she bit off his leg and spit it back at him! It all is a little ridiculous to me.
An Angel (Miscarried July 17, 2006)
Trinity(6)
Tatum(4)
Baby BOY!!!!(due Dec. 21, 2013)

April 19th, 2012, 08:02 AM
The Truth is out There
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanamom of 2 View Post
i dont know whose story to believe but i find it a little embarrasing that in our society this school could not "handle" a six year old girl! She is a child for goodness sake!.

There is no reason the cops should have been called unles this kid had a weapon and i know "apparently" she injured someone....well because of her temper tantrum a shelf fell and hit someone in the leg.......good grief they make it sound like she bit off his leg and spit it back at him! It all is a little ridiculous to me.
How would you have handled it? I'm genuinely curious as to what you would have done- really this question could go for any of you ladies.

April 19th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Super Mommy
i think if you would hold her kinda in a bear hug...not to be mean but to calm her down and speak calmly to her or try while holding her to distract her.....and maybe they tried that....but this all kinda sounds to me like when parents will say they just cant control their six year old.....i mean who is bigger and quite a bit bigger acctually. How can you now be able to control a six year old little girl?
An Angel (Miscarried July 17, 2006)
Trinity(6)
Tatum(4)
Baby BOY!!!!(due Dec. 21, 2013)

April 19th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanamom of 2 View Post
i think if you would hold her kinda in a bear hug...not to be mean but to calm her down and speak calmly to her or try while holding her to distract her.....and maybe they tried that....but this all kinda sounds to me like when parents will say they just cant control their six year old.....i mean who is bigger and quite a bit bigger acctually. How can you now be able to control a six year old little girl?
I don't know that schools are authorized to physically restrain students because if they are not trained in how to do so, it could result in injuries. I know that some schools do do this and usually end up making the news for taking things too far.
plan4fate and *Jennifer* like this.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural

Last edited by Tammyjh; April 19th, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
April 19th, 2012, 10:06 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Most schools have a hands off policy. A parent could sue the school and the school board if another person touches their child in any way. As much as we would love to say they could have done this or that, the choice they made might have been the only one they were left with.
plan4fate and *Jennifer* like this.

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11

April 19th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Lash's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I disagree, if she was in any of the special needs classrooms in our area, they most certainly have a trained team of people to do restraints and it happens without police involvement.

I wish I could say these kinds of things weren't called for, but they are, and often as young as age 4. Restraints have to happen with kids who quite simply become more violent than any of you could ever imagine if you've never seen it. But people who are trained medically and psychologically to restrain and then "talk down" a kid have a different outcome from the police restraining and cuffing and then transporting a child.

They need a team on site to restrain and the cops need to stay out of it. That does not increase the potential for good in any situation for a child this age.

April 19th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffycheeks View Post
Isn't Pumpkin's husband a police officer? Just asking....
HA! It would have been a DIET COKE and a vat of fries and a lecture on the dangers of trans fat!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tammyjh View Post
I'm less inclined to believe the parents due to their statements that everyone has mood swings and their daughter was just having a bad day. This is way beyond a little mood swing or an off day. The child was way out of control, hurt another individual, destroyed school property, and apparently tried to run away several times. The family keeps referring to it as "misbehavior" so their credibility is very low imo.

Video: Police defend decision to handcuff six-year-old for school tantrum - Telegraph
The family didn't witness it and believe it was exaggerated. As the saying goes, there are three sides to every story: this side, that side and the truth. Considering they arrested the child under the guise of criminal charges, where are the pictures of the damage she caused? Again, why are the cops and school refusing to explain what set off this outburst?

My main point is, even if the school felt it necessary to cuff the child for safety reasons (which, if they could cuff her, they could restrain her in other ways), it went way too far when they arrested her and transported her to the police station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lash View Post
I disagree, if she was in any of the special needs classrooms in our area, they most certainly have a trained team of people to do restraints and it happens without police involvement.

I wish I could say these kinds of things weren't called for, but they are, and often as young as age 4. Restraints have to happen with kids who quite simply become more violent than any of you could ever imagine if you've never seen it. But people who are trained medically and psychologically to restrain and then "talk down" a kid have a different outcome from the police restraining and cuffing and then transporting a child.

They need a team on site to restrain and the cops need to stay out of it. That does not increase the potential for good in any situation for a child this age.
Thank you!
Fluffy Baby likes this.

April 19th, 2012, 12:39 PM
No, we don't know exactly what happened to the letter but it sounds like she was very out of control and I'm sure the school isn't sitting by the phone waiting to have six year olds arrested just for the fun of it. It also doesn't specify that she had special needs or if there was staff on hand that were trained in restraining kids. Its not always possible for every school to have professionals who are trained well enough and the results can be devasting when a non professional tries it. Obviously if there is someone on staff at the school who is trained, that would be preferred but if not, if I, dh, or our emergency contacts could not be reached, I would rather my child have a ride in a police car than end up injured or dead because someone did not know what they were doing.

House approves bill to limit physical restraint of students

Quote:

The House approved a bill Wednesday to limit the physical restraint and
seclusion of students in schools, a response to an investigation last year that
found numerous reports of students abused or killed through such disciplinary
measures.
Quote:

It would bar mechanical restraints such as strapping students to chairs and
any restraint that restricts breathing. It also would require schools to notify
parents after their child is restrained or secluded.

Rep. George Miller (D-Calif.), who sponsored the bill with Rep. Cathy
McMorris Rodgers (R-Wash.), cited the case of a Texas student who died in 2002
after a teacher sat on him in a classroom. That case and others were detailed
last year in a Government Accountability Office report.

"These victims included students with disabilities and students without
disabilities," Miller said. "Many of these victims were children as young as 3
and 4. And in some cases, children died. Restraint and seclusion are
complicated practices. They are emergency interventions that should be used
only as a last resort, and only by trained professionals."

April 19th, 2012, 01:32 PM
I know in my state, it's pretty much illegal for any school to have state funding and NOT have trained professionals on hand as well as special needs classrooms. Every single school. I literally can't fathom this happening in my area, I just can't picture it. The idea of not having a team in a school to handle emotional issues is foreign to me, and I hope this changes their policies drastically.

Sitting on a kid isn't a restraint, that's abuse. That's not even the same kind of behavior.

If the child was incredibly out of hand, they also have the option of removing all other children and segregating this child into a less destructive area of the room. This kind of behavior doesn't come out of nowhere. How was this not addressed in her ARD meetings or parent/teacher meetings, at least from the school's standpoint. I'm sure this wasn't isolated-- how did they not have a plan on hand that was prepared for her behavior, and a plan that the parents were already informed of and agreed to before this happened?

Are you really telling me that a school is completely unprepared for a kid to lose it, and the parents have no idea what might happen, including calling the police, until it happens and shyte hits the fan? That scares me more than the little girl.

This also would have to be in their policy book that every parent gets when the child is enrolled. The school would easily be pointing to that policy in writing if they had already been prepared for this.

April 19th, 2012, 01:39 PM
I have literally worked with this kind of behavior for years. I worked in a lock-down children's home for young boys, in the school districts, in CPS and then in a psychiatric hospital with a children's unit for years. I know that it's possible to intervene in this situation without the cops being involved.

I have to agree with this statement by another blogger:
Quote:
How does this school deal with a fight? Is the SWAT team dispatched?
I'm not ok with knowing that the message we send a child with behavioral and emotional issues is that we call the police and that the only method we have to handle them is with more violence and the legal system, instead of keeping the consequences handled in the environment, at the school, with the school members. I mean seriously, talk about giving all your power away in front of the child. "Well we can't handle you, so we'll have to call in someone more powerful than we are".
Fluffy Baby likes this.

April 19th, 2012, 01:52 PM
Quote:
I know in my state, it's pretty much illegal for any school to have state funding and NOT have trained professionals on hand as well as special needs classrooms. Every single school. I literally can't fathom this happening in my area, I just can't picture it. The idea of not having a team in a school to handle emotional issues is foreign to me, and I hope this changes their policies drastically.

Sitting on a kid isn't a restraint, that's abuse. That's not even the same kind of behavior.

If the child was incredibly out of hand, they also have the option of removing all other children and segregating this child into a less destructive area of the room. This kind of behavior doesn't come out of nowhere. How was this not addressed in her ARD meetings or parent/teacher meetings, at least from the school's standpoint. I'm sure this wasn't isolated-- how did they not have a plan on hand that was prepared for her behavior, and a plan that the parents were already informed of and agreed to before this happened?

Are you really telling me that a school is completely unprepared for a kid to lose it, and the parents have no idea what might happen, including calling the police, until it happens and shyte hits the fan? That scares me more than the little girl.

This also would have to be in their policy book that every parent gets when the child is enrolled. The school would easily be pointing to that policy in writing if they had already been prepared for this.

Yes, some schools are unprepared and in rural areas with almost no budgets, usually the first place they cut is special needs. Our elem. school does not have a full time nurse or a full time counselor(counselor is only available one day a week).

Our school handbook does not discuss restraints. Just one short paragraph on disciplinary measures. The only area that discusses calling emergency services is under illeness and accidents for medical reasons.

As far as the bill, it wasn't just about the teacher who grossly abused her authority. It was about restraints and seclusion which some people object to just as much as calling the authorities. So basically, a lot of times, the school staff is between a rock and a hard place.

April 19th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Quote:
I have literally worked with this kind of behavior for years. I worked in a lock-down children's home for young boys, in the school districts, in CPS and then in a psychiatric hospital with a children's unit for years. I know that it's possible to intervene in this situation without the cops being involved.
And thats great. The problem is that they do not have professionals who have worked in these environments in every school on a daily basis. Like I said, if someone was trained, that would have been preferred. In the situation above, it seems either no one was trained or at the very least ill prepared to deal with this situation.

April 19th, 2012, 03:20 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
It baffles my mind that the police took her away to arrest her and charge her with a crime. On what planet is it legitimate to charge a 6 year old with a crime. What possible good could come out of that. I agree that she needed controlled like the school did, but everything indicates to me that she was calmed down prior to the cops cuffing her.
Fluffy Baby likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search