Log In Sign Up

"Sexy and I know it" = sexual harassment?


Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree36Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #21  
May 6th, 2012, 10:59 AM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
This has me cracking up. I know kids because I have some and used to babysit, and I know schools because well, I used to go to one and so do my kids. Therefore, I have a strong sense that my theory is right, though I really know very little about this actual situation or the kid involved. But, hey, I know kids so this is probably what happened.
Yeah, well I know kids; and I know they're all brats. Except mine, of course. Mine are angels.
K.A.T likes this.
__________________
Iím Sarah (39), wife to Chris (40), mom to three boys (age 0, 3 and 5)
Reply With Quote
  #22  
May 6th, 2012, 11:40 AM
K.A.T's Avatar Enjoying her Sticky Bun
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 13,499
I guess I never parented my son when he was singing the J Holiday song "bed" at 3 years old. The assumptions kill me at times.
__________________

❤ Big Thanks to Vicki, trishosaurus, & Shortcake for the great siggies of my kids! ❤
Liz (36) Kev (35)
Tiana (16) Doni (14) Lil Kev (8) Ethan 7/23/12 Lil Roo 10/29/11



Reply With Quote
  #23  
May 6th, 2012, 03:36 PM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
We were at the skating rink today and this song came on. My BFF's son was goofing off and looked at me while lip syncing it like he was saying it to me.

I've been sexually harassed by a 13 y/o. He should have been kicked out of the skating rink for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmom View Post
Yeah, well I know kids; and I know they're all brats. Except mine, of course. Mine are angels.
Not necessarily. What are their names? I'll tell you if they're nice or brats based on their names.
plan4fate likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
May 6th, 2012, 09:38 PM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiredmom View Post
D'Avonte Meadows suspended for sexual harassment | ksdk.com
The mom was given paper work stating what he was being suspended for. The paperwork states "Charge: C60 -harassment-sexual", not disruptive behavior. And on the paper work it notes this is the second time he had quoted the same line from the song. In the video, they say the first episode was 1 mo prior. They do mention he had past trouble with disruptive behavior and is a special needs kid. But if the are mad about his disruptive behavior then they should address it as such and not label it sexual harassment.
I don't blame the mom for going to the media; although I wouldn't let the media interview my kid and ask him to repeat the quote for the cameras. IMO he should be just left out of it entirely.




Edited a typo.
I don't see an original document on this page showing even a picture of the alleged letter. Maybe my computer isn't loading it? If I saw an original (not doctored) I might think differently. But I am not finding it on any of the articles so far...Now, them just quoting their code or someone reading the code from a handbook (heck even our handbook states the same thing exactly for my kids' elementary school), doesn't necessarily mean that's the same letter they gave the mother. Maybe he's ONLY in trouble (based on the fact I see no letter) for being disruptive in general? IDK I can't tell and the school does state they will not address anything, so I HAVE to be missing some link if the mom's letter was published.
__________________
Lynn
Mom to many



1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
Reply With Quote
  #25  
May 6th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliek0211 View Post
This has me cracking up. I know kids because I have some and used to babysit, and I know schools because well, I used to go to one and so do my kids. Therefore, I have a strong sense that my theory is right, though I really know very little about this actual situation or the kid involved. But, hey, I know kids so this is probably what happened.
I guess you didn't read the word "BEST GUESS" It was only a fun guess at what probably was more likely than the dumb harassment case. If you're going to be sarcastic, I'd assume that YOU would recognize sarcasm! Jeez. People here suck sometimes.
__________________
Lynn
Mom to many



1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
Reply With Quote
  #26  
May 6th, 2012, 11:45 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
I guess you didn't read the word "BEST GUESS" It was only a fun guess at what probably was more likely than the dumb harassment case. If you're going to be sarcastic, I'd assume that YOU would recognize sarcasm! Jeez. People here suck sometimes.
Yeah, like assumptions that kids just have to be brats simply because they decide not to conform....sheesh, how dare they.....they just suck...

Ds does listen to, and sing, all kinds of songs others would likely find inappropriate for an 8 year old. Even worse, he actually understands a lot of what he's singing...he simply doesn't care and likes a good tune.

Has his moments but, yeah. He does know when, and when not to, break out in song (that others may not approve of). He breaks out in song all the time, he just chooses public appropriate ones outside of home or grandma's, lol. It wasn't automatic though, it's a learned life lesson He still sings this particular song all over the place-because it's NOT an inappropriate song, in the least. In fact, it's not even remotely inappropriate, imo.

Some people need to let go of that anal retentive nature a bit. Life's way more fun, and interesting, when you're not so dang uptight.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #27  
May 7th, 2012, 08:21 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
Golly gee whiz my kids must be brats because they don't act like little adults. I guess I don't parent them since they aren't mini 40 year olds who should know better all the time.
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #28  
May 7th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Keepin' it real!
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,656
I forgot, all yo kids are PERFECT, so you're right....all kids are wonderful, little angels who do nothing wrong EVER and wouldn't dare act up in class. Nope. Of course I am sure I have no idea which part of my posts say anything about kids all being exactly the same as this child, but you can keep fooling yourself into thinking yours do not do anything wrong... Whatev. I'm so lucky NOT to have these problems with mine in a public place. My kids have their days at home, of course, but you guys kind of lost any meaning of the OP if you're taking jabs at me, and went on your own tangents. Anyway, Ya'll have fun. I'm out.
__________________
Lynn
Mom to many



1 Girl 2011 and 1 Boy 2013. Their family is COMPLETE!

Surrogacy # 3 for new family?: 2014??
Reply With Quote
  #29  
May 7th, 2012, 09:13 AM
HappyHippy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pavia, Italy
Posts: 5,959
What kinds of problems? Being a normal kid kind of problems? Yeah I will never believe any parent that says her child(ren) have NEVER acted up in public, that is impossible, especially since you have how many, 4? Everybody has days in the public too, stop trying to fool yourself.
__________________
Mama to G, L & twins F & M
Started off 2013 homebirthing suprise twins Fia Celesta & Maddalena Isabella
Reply With Quote
  #30  
May 7th, 2012, 09:51 AM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
I forgot, all yo kids are PERFECT, so you're right....all kids are wonderful, little angels who do nothing wrong EVER and wouldn't dare act up in class. Nope. Of course I am sure I have no idea which part of my posts say anything about kids all being exactly the same as this child, but you can keep fooling yourself into thinking yours do not do anything wrong... Whatev. I'm so lucky NOT to have these problems with mine in a public place. My kids have their days at home, of course, but you guys kind of lost any meaning of the OP if you're taking jabs at me, and went on your own tangents. Anyway, Ya'll have fun. I'm out.
That was a really lame flounce. Put a little more effort into it, I know you can do better.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
May 7th, 2012, 10:38 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: North
Posts: 7,824
Lynn,
What I took issue with was the statements of how parents need to parent and then the school wouldn't have to make silly rules. Also the assumption was that the child is probably a brat. I understand that is a gut reaction that many people have and in some cases they are right. I have a difficult special needs child and have had to deal with those kinds of assumptions ("best guesses") often so I am just pointing out that none of us really know from reading one article how good/bad of a parent his mom is or if this is bratty behavior or just a little boy singing a song he heard on a candy commercial. It does seem that he has some special needs which doesn't excuse poor behavior but it could explain part of it.
HappyHippy and K.A.T like this.
__________________
Tammy, Mom to
Abby (19), Kacie (13), Chase (11), & Jacob (7)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
Reply With Quote
  #32  
May 7th, 2012, 01:11 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,083
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
I guess you didn't read the word "BEST GUESS" It was only a fun guess at what probably was more likely than the dumb harassment case. If you're going to be sarcastic, I'd assume that YOU would recognize sarcasm! Jeez. People here suck sometimes.
Call me sucky if you must, but I saw not even a hint of sarcasm in your post. Perhaps my sarcasm meter is broken.
__________________

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014



Reply With Quote
  #33  
May 7th, 2012, 02:30 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
I don't see an original document on this page showing even a picture of the alleged letter. Maybe my computer isn't loading it? If I saw an original (not doctored) I might think differently. But I am not finding it on any of the articles so far...Now, them just quoting their code or someone reading the code from a handbook (heck even our handbook states the same thing exactly for my kids' elementary school), doesn't necessarily mean that's the same letter they gave the mother. Maybe he's ONLY in trouble (based on the fact I see no letter) for being disruptive in general? IDK I can't tell and the school does state they will not address anything, so I HAVE to be missing some link if the mom's letter was published.
Are you saying the mom doctored the document they show in the video (at 17 secs)??? Interesting...
__________________
Iím Sarah (39), wife to Chris (40), mom to three boys (age 0, 3 and 5)
Reply With Quote
  #34  
May 7th, 2012, 02:36 PM
tiredmom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
I forgot, all yo kids are PERFECT, so you're right....all kids are wonderful, little angels who do nothing wrong EVER and wouldn't dare act up in class. Nope. Of course I am sure I have no idea which part of my posts say anything about kids all being exactly the same as this child, but you can keep fooling yourself into thinking yours do not do anything wrong... Whatev. I'm so lucky NOT to have these problems with mine in a public place. My kids have their days at home, of course, but you guys kind of lost any meaning of the OP if you're taking jabs at me, and went on your own tangents. Anyway, Ya'll have fun. I'm out.
I think you are missing the point. Most of us are saying that our kids DO act up at times (except mine, who are angels ALL THE TIME). That's what kids this age do. They occasionally act up or say inappropriate things. The point is, that the behavior of singing a line from a pop song does not warrant a 3 day school suspension, especially not for sexual harassment.
__________________
Iím Sarah (39), wife to Chris (40), mom to three boys (age 0, 3 and 5)
Reply With Quote
  #35  
May 7th, 2012, 04:21 PM
Frackel's Avatar DOh!
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: In my house :p
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSLynn View Post
I forgot, all yo kids are PERFECT, so you're right....all kids are wonderful, little angels who do nothing wrong EVER and wouldn't dare act up in class. Nope. Of course I am sure I have no idea which part of my posts say anything about kids all being exactly the same as this child, but you can keep fooling yourself into thinking yours do not do anything wrong... Whatev. I'm so lucky NOT to have these problems with mine in a public place. My kids have their days at home, of course, but you guys kind of lost any meaning of the OP if you're taking jabs at me, and went on your own tangents. Anyway, Ya'll have fun. I'm out.
Good god woman, wth did that had to do with anything at all.
Sometimes I wonder about you. You quite often boast about all you've done for humanity, what with watching others' kids for most of your life and whatnot. Yet you come across as the most crotchety, cranky, and pessimistic person towards children I've ever seen post on this board. Then you wonder why people take what you say and pick it apart, if even only slightly. Try not being so **** cranky all the time. You make a LOT of "best guesses" about others' children and they are almost always either the exact opposite of what everyone else has said or seen(not in and of itself a bad thing, but does make one wonder what exactly it is you're reading), or they're beyond judgmental.
Then you throw fits and "you're all picking on me" flounces every now and then-frequently I might add. Which, while hilarious in their own right, don't really do much to help state your point so that I'll understand it any better.

I get that it's a heated debates board, we're judgmental at times, that's pretty much the point. but **** girl. I still don't understand how you got any of what you "think" or "guess" from anything that was said, posted, interviewed, whatever....Or why on earth you think that document was doctored. I just don't get your level of cynicism sometimes, I really don't.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
May 7th, 2012, 07:02 PM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
Reply With Quote
  #37  
May 7th, 2012, 07:31 PM
*Leslie*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,083
Send a message via AIM to *Leslie* Send a message via Yahoo to *Leslie*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frackel View Post
Good god woman, wth did that had to do with anything at all.
Sometimes I wonder about you. You quite often boast about all you've done for humanity, what with watching others' kids for most of your life and whatnot. Yet you come across as the most crotchety, cranky, and pessimistic person towards children I've ever seen post on this board. Then you wonder why people take what you say and pick it apart, if even only slightly. Try not being so **** cranky all the time. You make a LOT of "best guesses" about others' children and they are almost always either the exact opposite of what everyone else has said or seen(not in and of itself a bad thing, but does make one wonder what exactly it is you're reading), or they're beyond judgmental.
Then you throw fits and "you're all picking on me" flounces every now and then-frequently I might add. Which, while hilarious in their own right, don't really do much to help state your point so that I'll understand it any better.

I get that it's a heated debates board, we're judgmental at times, that's pretty much the point. but **** girl. I still don't understand how you got any of what you "think" or "guess" from anything that was said, posted, interviewed, whatever....Or why on earth you think that document was doctored. I just don't get your level of cynicism sometimes, I really don't.
Took the words right out of my mouth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxfire_ga79 View Post
That's my favorite flounce image. Isn't there one with the witch from The Wizard of Oz too? With Glenda in it I think...
__________________

<3 August 1st, 2013
<3 November 21st, 2013
<3 October, 19th 2014



Reply With Quote
  #38  
May 7th, 2012, 07:58 PM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
I'd have to look. That's just the first one I stumbled on. lol
Reply With Quote
  #39  
May 7th, 2012, 08:57 PM
foxfire_ga79
Guest
Posts: n/a
This one's my all time fave---



Then there;s---



and




Didn't see any Wizzie Of Oz though.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
May 7th, 2012, 09:16 PM
Regular
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 90
Sexual harassment is not the right fit here. If it was an older boy or girl, and there was a pattern I would think maybe, but that young and only one instance? No way is that sexual harassment.
__________________
Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. - Hellen Keller
Reply With Quote
Reply

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:31 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0