s/o - Time Magazine Breastfeeding Cover

Forum: Heated Debates

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Heated Debates LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 22nd, 2012, 08:17 PM
Cereal Killer's Avatar I'm climbin' in yo window
Busted.

May 23rd, 2012, 12:13 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Most newsagencies stock international copies of many magazines. Our local not only stocks TIME US, but French Vogue, several Russian magazines, Hello (UK), The New Yorker, UK Vogue and has a whole section dedicated to Japanese magazines, and thats barely scratching the surface.

Yes, you can buy the US copy of Time VERY easily in Australia. Seriously, how is this news to anyone? Sorry to bust your bubbles.
May 23rd, 2012, 02:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undomesticated Housewife View Post
B.S.

My kids are pretty bright, especially my 5 year old, and neither of them are socially aware enough to find this to be a humorous, nor an embarrassing situation. Either you are making this up to back up your stance or you have done an EXCELLENT job teaching your child that breastfeeding past a specific age is something embarrassing or something you should mock. My kids weren't even nursed, I pumped..and they have no recollection of that, yet they would be curious, not find it hilarious or embarrassing. My kids aren't even aware of media enough to know that lots of people will see it if it us on a magazine cover. if my kids laughed at the cover, it would have nothing to do with breastfeeding. Maybe you should rethink the kind of education you focus on..
All I can say is, all kids are different. Sasha isnt very intellectual, but he is very socially intelligent and he cottons on to things a lot quicker than other children. Try to get him to count, however, and he's well behind the curve. If you cannot picture your child seeing something on a magazine cover and clicking that everyone else is going to see it to, then thats fair enough, most of my older ones wouldnt have made the connection at that age either, but again, different kinds of intelligence.

In terms of 'education' Sasha isnt overly familiar with breastfeeding because he is the youngest child, he has no younger cousins, he has no familiarity with babies in any way shape or form. And I dont run around screaming "WOO BOOBS" so he thinks nothing of it. Its a complete non-issue in our household. To him, the photo looks funny, because it is a strange photo. It is posed in such a ridiculous way that it makes you look twice, to a child with limited familiarity, it is hilarious.

I dont disagree with extended breastfeeding, in fact, I think I have stated that multiple times in both threads. I am against this idea that parents seem to have as of late that everything about their children should be made public for all to see, despite any future effects it may have on the child. I have read the article (I bought it, yes, the US copy from a newsagent in Australia) and I do not disagree with anything in there. I disagree with a photo that is intended to cause controversy that features a child who cannot understand nor consent to be part of that controversy being distributed worldwide (yes, worldwide, because, once again, American publications are available for sale in countries other than America, even when said countries have their own versions).

As an adult, I can have controversy thrown at me and I have the choice whether to participate or not, and I have no issue with this woman getting out there and sharing her story. However, as a mother, it is my duty to protect my children from what I can, and my preschooler being photographed in an intentionally provocative pose with an intentionally provocative title, is something that I have a responsibility to defend my kids from.

I can hold all the ideals and beliefs in the world, and I have every right to fight them, however, it is not up to my children to fight those beliefs for me.

I stand by what I said, all it takes is one child, one future schoolmate, neighbour, whatever, to find this picture in a couple of years, maybe in a box of old magazines in the garage or whatever and the teasing will begin, because kids can be very cruel when they want to be.
May 23rd, 2012, 03:43 AM
Tammyjh's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm still waiting for a source for this
Quote:

Extended breastfeeding was just as taboo when my oldest was a baby as
it is now

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
May 23rd, 2012, 03:56 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Its just something ive experienced personally. Outside of parenting forums I havent met a single person where, when faced with it, hasnt shuddered.

Sorry for making a reference to personal experience.
May 23rd, 2012, 04:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybele View Post
Its just something ive experienced personally. Outside of parenting forums I havent met a single person where, when faced with it, hasnt shuddered.

Sorry for making a reference to personal experience.
While you may have experienced that in your circle of friends, its not really accurate. I'm not saying there is wide acceptance but that there is "more" acceptance now than there was 20 years ago and I sourced stats back in post #13 under this paragraph:

Quote:
If you look at bf in general, there has been a lot of progress over the years
due to information/education. More women breastfeed now than back in the
1990's. So taking that little bit of information, common sense tells me that if
more women are bf, most likely more women are extended nursing. That would mean
it is not as taboo as it was.

"...They're supposed to make you miserable! That's why they're family!" ~ Bobby ~ Supernatural
May 23rd, 2012, 04:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I read both your links when you posted them and skimmed them again just now and couldnt find any referenced to extended breastfeeding, the stats only went up to 6 months?
May 23rd, 2012, 04:41 AM
Quote:
I read both your links when you posted them and skimmed them again just now and couldnt find any referenced to extended breastfeeding, the stats only went up to 6 months?
Actually no, the stats go up to 12 months and the article gave the link to the state "report card" it was discussing.
Breastfeeding: Data: Report Card 2010: Outcome Indicators | DNPAO | CDC
However, when you add the increased information, increased education, increased recommendations, and an increase in breastfeeding rates in general, it should be common sense to conclude that extended nursing is not as taboo as it was years ago.

Editing to add
From a 2007 article
More Women Are Breastfeeding Their Toddlers - Yahoo! Voices - voices.yahoo.com
Quote:
Despite of being outside the majority there is a growing number of mothers who
are choosing to breastfeed beyond the first year. In the same study by the CDC
and Abbott Labs' Ross it was shown that in 1997, 14.5 percent of mothers were
still breast-feeding at 12 months; by 2005, the number had climbed to 20
percent.

Last edited by Tammyjh; May 23rd, 2012 at 05:17 AM.
May 23rd, 2012, 06:55 AM
Poncho06's Avatar Mega Super Mommy

Do you live at the airport?

Quote:
Most newsagencies stock international copies of many magazines. Our local not only stocks TIME US, but French Vogue, several Russian magazines, Hello (UK), The New Yorker, UK Vogue and has a whole section dedicated to Japanese magazines, and thats barely scratching the surface.

Yes, you can buy the US copy of Time VERY easily in Australia. Seriously, how is this news to anyone? Sorry to bust your bubbles.

May 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wasnt specifically reffering to the age of 15, that was someone else. I was thinking more 6, 7, 8 yr olds.

I dont know about you guys, but my doctor's waiting room still has cosmo from the 1990's on their coffee table, so to me its not farfetched that in a few years someone will stumble over the magazine.

Meanwhile, I really popped in to post this, I think this is very interesting:

You Asked. They Answered. TIME’s AP moms take your questions. : KellyMom

Quote:
Why did I let them pose me like that?
I didn’t. I have no problem being in a standing position, but the image they captured does not represent the vision and direction of the shoot
Quote:
My family was prepared for backlash if our photo made it into the article or onto the cover. We felt this way even when we had the hope that TIME would select a more nurturing photo.
Quote:
Awkward is the only term that really expresses that picture for me. I was there, so I know what they were going for (confidence and contentment), and it was not conveyed in that picture. I am not thrilled with the shot of me, but my biggest problem is with my son and his body language in the photo. I see his expression and arm placement as completely disconnected, which made the photo a poor representation of what breastfeeding really is past infancy (connectedness, comfort, and love…not to mention the antibodies and nutrients they are getting in the breast milk).
Quote:
What they were looking for is playfulness, confidence, contentment, and always nurturing in the pose. Do you see that in this photo? I don’t. They definitely have those shots and I feel they lost an opportunity to educate by choosing an outtake rather than one of the pictures we worked so hard to get.
Quote:
I think the cover was negative and complete shock factor journalism which got the world talking.
May 24th, 2012, 05:14 PM
I think most of us agree that the pose is a little strange, not nurturing, and posed for shock value. Its just that some of us don't think this little boy is going to be as traumatised as others do.
foxfire_ga79 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search